Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Just got back to my house after dropping Ken off at Logan to pick up his fozzy. Got through the last hour staying awake by blasting Skinny Puppy and Neitzer Ebb. Im so tired, see you all in three days when I wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

One of my dreams is to find a mint 2002 Trans Am with a six speed somewhere in the southwest, fly out and drive it home.

I really hope once you guys are rested up you have lotsa picturses and road stories to share!

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Other than that, shits fuckin' mint :v:

Well it got you guys from CO to MA so it can't be that bad, right?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Powered by hubris

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Cut the bolts holding the muffler flange onto the midpipe (those and the cat to downpipe are probably the rustiest bolts on the car) and welded the flange back onto the muffler. Not beautiful welds but whatever it's exhaust. Gave it a shot of hi-heat coating, which happened to be on the shelf, prevents rust, and looks snazzy.

Also discovered a mount for the rear swaybar on the passenger side control arm snapped due to NY's cratered roads. gently caress you NY, now I gotta weld my poo poo back together or make custom control arms for it :(

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 26, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's weird, usually it's the body-side swaybar mounts that snap off on Subarus.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's weird, usually it's the body mounts that snap off on Subarus.

It's a Justy. They were not exactly designed to be a high quality car.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

This was such a fun trip! It was so great meeting up with the AI guys we got to, Tremek, Noeland, Safety Dance. Im sad that we missed out on meeting up with Bokenknuckles, lightbulb out, Boaz, Cornholio and Rhyno and the others that were on the way but it was a pretty intense trip in the little Justy that could. Since we were on a time crunch for Ken to get back to work and making sure the car was going to get us home we really had to hammer down as much as we could to get home. Who knew a 3 cyl Subaru with 230k on it could do 2000 miles at 4k with minimal problems and would go so smoothly (after we changed the death tire) until the second we got back to Kens house. We know that now but there were some harrowing moments and car guy paranoia along the way. Im uploading pictures and video right now and Ill dump them in the thread tonight. Im still trying to catch up on sleep so my brain is tired but sleep is for suckers and I can catch up on that when Im dead.

Also the muffler broke right about when we got to the MA border when Ken was trying to sneak back to his house under the radar. gently caress the roads in NY so much, they suck so noticeably worse than the rest of the loving country and I blame them for the muffler problem. Jerks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Where in NY? Western NY has decent interstates, I never had a problem when I lived there.

Pennsylvania has the worst interstates imo.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

Where in NY? Western NY has decent interstates, I never had a problem when I lived there.

Mississippi, hands down.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I90, it was so terrible and a super potholefest. From prior experience every road in NYC is poo poo too.

Anyway, here are the good pics I got, most of them from the car at speed.

Picking the old girl up:

A shot from the park and ride where we met up with the PO, Thank you SO much for the ride there Tremek!

Cool trucks in CO

Train derailment in Nebraska

I wanted to get every state but some of them happened at night. Also Nebraska is super flat, more than the desert I drove though last year

This rig was loving awesome

Adventures in Babysitting

Lol

The headquarters

This just finished uploading, I love how you can hear the motor turning 4000 rpms like a boss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87hsSpiavUg

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 26, 2015

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

leica posted:

I think this past winter was murder on roads, at least in central NY. There's countless potholes and areas of destroyed pavement on my normal routes, and I just don't remember them being there last fall.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

leica posted:

Oklahoma has the worst I've been on.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

bandman posted:

Oklahoma has the worst I've been on.

I was in Oklahoma last year and I still think NY is the worst. Its not just I90 its like all their roads all over the state, they are so terrible all year. Then again I was only on I40 in OK.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
poo poo, you probably passed right by my city if you guys took 80.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Fart Pipe posted:

I was in Oklahoma last year and I still think NY is the worst. Its not just I90 its like all their roads all over the state, they are so terrible all year. Then again I was only on I40 in OK.

It was I-40 that made me form that opinion. The expansion joints on that loving road feel like they are a foot wide.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

poo poo, you probably passed right by my city if you guys took 80.

We did, which state? It was hard meeting up with people though because we had no schedule besides drive as far as we can without falling asleep at the wheel/dying for as long as possible.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Please tell me you spent most of the trip with the throttle matted!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

bandman posted:

It was I-40 that made me form that opinion. The expansion joints on that loving road feel like they are a foot wide.

Oh I agree, I40 is so lovely in OK but NY is worse, so much worse. And its not just 90 its all the roads Ive driven on that I can remember, 84, 87, 287, 95, all the surface streets, just all of them are so lovely.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

gileadexile posted:

Please tell me you spent most of the trip with the throttle matted!

I didnt drive at all but from what Ken said it wasnt much more than 1/2 throttle at the most to maintain hills and most of the time it was like 1/4. I think because of the ridiculous engine speed on the highway it was at peak power, haha.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Fart Pipe posted:

I didnt drive at all but from what Ken said it wasnt much more than 1/2 throttle at the most to maintain hills and most of the time it was like 1/4. I think because of the ridiculous engine speed on the highway it was at peak power, haha.

:allears:

Love it!

Hoping to hear the story behind the inspiration to buy the red rocket and just..just everything! A 32 year old married man shouldn't be this jealous over two guys travelling what, at least over halfway across the country in a tiny car. It's like the best parts of Top Gear. Hope you guys had fun!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fart Pipe posted:

I didnt drive at all but from what Ken said it wasnt much more than 1/2 throttle at the most to maintain hills

Yeah I can't even do that with my 4 cylinder, it's WOT on even the slightest hills unless I drop a gear.

Thanks GM for the hilariously tall gearing, 75 mph is about 2500 rpm.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

kastein posted:

:siren:

THINGS HAVE TAKEN AN UNEXPECTED TURN

Due to Tremek being awesome and keeping a close eye on his local CL, I have purchased a vehicle I never expected to purchase, with no rust.

Looks like I will be flying out and driving it home at some indeterminate point in the very near future.

AI goons between Colorado and Massachusetts: Friends, hoons, countrymen. Lend me your driveways

If you know what it is please don't say anything till I pick it up.

Sup, Colorado here - want to take a ride in the Volvo on your way through?

[edit] Goddamnit this is what I get for not checking this thread in a month. :(

Doccers fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 26, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

some texas redneck posted:

Yeah I can't even do that with my 4 cylinder, it's WOT on even the slightest hills unless I drop a gear.

Thanks GM for the hilariously tall gearing, 75 mph is about 2500 rpm.

75mph for me is over 4000rpm :v: Highway driving is a lot of sweet sweet F20C sounds

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Doccers posted:

Sup, Colorado here - want to take a ride in the Volvo on your way through?

You're a few days late. :v:

Nodoze posted:

75mph for me is over 4000rpm :v: Highway driving is a lot of sweet sweet F20C sounds

Even my Accord was spinning around 4k at 75. It was a bigger car (by about 400-500 pounds) with a bigger engine (2.3 vs 2.2), and somehow got almost the same mileage as the Saturn. :downs: (in the city anyway, the Saturn seems to average 34-35 on all-highway tanks, the Accord did 30-31).

VTEC, yo.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 26, 2015

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

some texas redneck posted:

You're a few days late. :v:

Yeah I noticed. :(

I'm genuinely sad I won't be able to get Ken's help in putting the Volvo in the back of the 5 ton now.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

My Scirocco turns like 4k at 75 and still gets 31-33 mpg, I cant stress how much Iove that car in case anyone hasnt noticed yet, haha.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
drat! Yeah dude I would have loved to.

Our schedule was sadly basically "drive as fast as we can as far as we can without breaking the car or dying" so we went by the iowa crew at witching hour and indiana right before lunch, aka during work hours. Made things kinda difficult. If I ever do a vehicle recovery trip again it will be planned better. Well, it probably won't, but I can dream right?

As for why I wanted this silly car... it will allegedly get 40-50mpg once I drag it out of maintenance debt, and is 5 speed manual, 4x4. I have an uphill dirt road and driveway the plows don't touch in the winter, if I don't have AWD or 4x4 I don't make it to work. I also have a 140 mile roundtrip commute. So better fuel economy puts extra money in my budget in a hurry. There are very, very few 4x4s in my price range and desired featureset that get 40+mpg, if any.

Oh, and it is old enough to not be subject to plugin emissions testing in mass, or any emissions at all in fact. Which means I can turbo it (they allegedly will handle 150hp, double stock power, out of 73ci, without engine mods) with a megasquirt if I so choose and easily pass.

The trip was a ton of fun, especially once we figured out what was causing the horrible shaking and weren't worried about dying or breaking down in some unrepairable way anymore. We maintained 63mph average for sixteen hours straight on the last day of the trip and got home a day earlier than the deadline as a result. Would gladly roadtrip again.

The Justy or a Brat is the subaru I wanted. The Forester is the one I needed, and basically landed in my lap. It got me through some poo poo and I will finish fixing it up and then sell it once the Justy is out of maintenance debt and seems reliable. Shampoo, I was planning on waiting till after first snow and asking too much for it on CL, but will let you know.

E: I have a windshield install scheduled for Saturday afternoon. $311 installed at my house, and I namedropped a friend who works there when setting up the appointment so guess who is doing the install :haw:

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 26, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Fart Pipe posted:

We did, which state? It was hard meeting up with people though because we had no schedule besides drive as far as we can without falling asleep at the wheel/dying for as long as possible.

Ohio. I think I saw your post about being in Cleveland but I was unfortunately busy. Would've totally bought you guys dinner.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

kastein posted:

Shampoo, I was planning on waiting till after first snow and asking too much for it on CL, but will let you know.

Don't worry about me, I'm just some guy from the Internet. Get every dime you can for that car, you deserve it! But if the stars align, I know it would be a good beater for me to run for a bit.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
http://www.dustysjustys.com/

Looks like this guy has tons of parts.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

bandman posted:

They aren't expansion joints, those are the ditches we jump in when the tornadoes come through.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Left Ventricle posted:

http://www.dustysjustys.com/

Looks like this guy has tons of parts.

This website is precious. Ken has to order something from him just to make sure it's real.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I've been reading everything I can on that site but sadly he doesn't have most of the parts I need right now :(

So it turns out Subaru can't do electrical to save their lives. They combined the best and worst of cheap electrical system design and expensive electrical system design into an expensive, unreliable system. I rate it a "lancia beta" on the enhanced Mini to Land Rover unreliability scale.

Headlight power switched by relays? Check one for expensive, properly designed system.
Headlight ground switched directly by the dinky little steering column multifunction stalk? Check one for half assed bullshit a first year EE grad should get fired for. :wtf:
Both in the same vehicle? Yup.

Oh and that column switch is turbofucked and oh, it costs $167.

My plan is to replace it, possibly with a usable junkyard unit (I've located a few), then adapt the system to use relays and heavy gauge wiring direct from the battery to the headlamps (regular 9004s) like it should have been from the factory. That way it won't break again. The low beam issue is almost certainly because the more-used low beam contacts have burned out while the high beam contacts haven't.

On the other hand, brake rotors, pads, caliper hoses, wheel bearings and 3 sets of seals for all 4 corners, a full set of lug studs, a timing belt and component set, cap/rotor/plugs/wires, an O2 sensor, 3 alternator belts, headlamp sockets, a full engine gasket set, and an exhaust gasket total a whopping $232 on rockauto.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

On the other hand, brake rotors, pads, caliper hoses, wheel bearings and 3 sets of seals for all 4 corners, a full set of lug studs, a timing belt and component set, cap/rotor/plugs/wires, an O2 sensor, 3 alternator belts, headlamp sockets, a full engine gasket set, and an exhaust gasket total a whopping $232 on rockauto.

Fuuuck meee that's cheap.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

kastein posted:

The zen of Loyale-era Subarus: everything is as cheap as you want it to be. Also sent you a PM.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
94? Holy crap I didn't know they made them that late!

Have you taken the switch apart yet? Usually you can clean all the contacts, bend parts here or there and get them going again. Relaying the setup should be easy.

This thing is screaming for Megasquirt and a 13c turbo!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Fart Pipe posted:

Then again I was only on I40 in OK.

Speak not of terrible roads until you have traveled State Highway 9 between Chickasha, OK and Newcastle, OK.

e. I am disappointed. I was going to screenshot Google Street View to give you an example, but sometime in the past eight years Oklahoma actually spent money on that particular road, and now it has shoulders instead of curbs.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 27, 2015

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

kastein posted:

Headlight power switched by relays? Check one for expensive, properly designed system.
Headlight ground switched directly by the dinky little steering column multifunction stalk? Check one for half assed bullshit a first year EE grad should get fired for. :wtf:
Both in the same vehicle? Yup.

So what you are saying is both the high and low sides of the bulbs are switched because of "reasons" ? Or are the grounds switched on low beams and the high beams have a relay on the high side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Commodore_64 posted:

So what you are saying is both the high and low sides of the bulbs are switched because of "reasons" ? Or are the grounds switched on low beams and the high beams have a relay on the high side?

The former. They run the supply power through the relays to the bulb common pins, then the high/low beam pins from the bulb back through the stalk switch to ground. :confused:

Naturally, the more-used low beam position of the stalk switch has long since died.