Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
The telepathic part might be true, but I think the new tires are too eager to please. "Oh, you want to turn a bit? I'll just turn a lot. A lot is always better than a little. Please love me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I had the same experience coming from lovely stock tires on my Ninjer to Pilot Street 2s. After I got used to how touchy it was, I frickin' love it. It is a bit unnerving at first, though.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Anyone have any information for or against kendas?

read through the OP and didn't see them mentioned

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
They're a cheap, older tire brand for street tires, dunno about their dirt stuff. V

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe
I used Kenda Kruze tires on my Roadstar. Inexpensive tires, but I didn't really put them through any hard use .. the Roadie is a cruiser. They lasted the hoped-for 8k miles (Roadie bad on tires)

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Z3n posted:

They're a cheap, older tire brand for street tires, dunno about their dirt stuff. V

Wound up going with Dunlop D404s at the same price.

They sold the rear out from under me so I'm getting that installed free on Friday.

Even just having a front tire that isn't dry-rotting/almost bald is fantastic.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Dunlop D404's Rock.

Front one put on last saturday, rear one thrown on yesterday.

I finally know what it's like to be able to turn, and keep a straight line, and not slide with a crosswind.

Holy poo poo how am I still alive after last season?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Ok, is there any reason not to get these Continental Conti-Motions for my '07 FZ6?
http://www.amazon.com/CONTINENTAL-MOTION-70zr17-Front-55zr17/dp/B007N6RPSY/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

$152 for 2 tires seems almost too cheap...

I would be replacing pretty old Pilot Road 2's, so anything would be an improvement, and these have 60 4-5 star reviews and seem pretty legit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
They're alright - better in the rain than the dry, in my opinion, but not bad tires and certainly better than what you have now.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They're an okay tire, that's about it. I think they're a single compound tire, too. Don't see anything that says otherwise.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

As someone who had Conti Sport Attacks 2 previously on my bike, never again. I went from Pilot Powers to Contis (they were on the bike new) and hated them. Felt like poo poo. Threw some PP3s back on and all is right in the world. YMMV. Maybe all Conti tires don't suck. If you're used to PRs then nothing about a set of PR3s will do you wrong.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'm guessing the extra $200 is worth it to get PR4's over the contis?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I'd try to find a set of PR3s myself. You'll pay (probably) much less than you would for PR4s.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I love my PR4s. The price difference was like fifty bucks when I bought them. 5k miles later and they still look great.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Are some tires just prone to squaring off? I've got a set of Battlaxs that is near-perfect on the front but starting to square off a considerable bit after 4.5k miles. I relentlessly fling my bike and swerve around at every opportunity, so I was a bit surprised and disappointed to find that out.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

4.5k before your rear squares off on a battlax is pretty drat good honestly. I replaced mine at ~3000 when I switched to the PP3s the first time on the GSXR.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Digital_Jesus posted:

4.5k before your rear squares off on a battlax is pretty drat good honestly. I replaced mine at ~3000 when I switched to the PP3s the first time on the GSXR.

Good to know, thanks. I just wish these drat things weren't so expensive/difficult to replace!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

If most of your riding is commute you can probably get two rears to a front to cut down on cost a bit. If you're doing any kind of spirited (or jackassery) riding and you're paranoid like I am I just do both tires every 3k-3.5k.

E: I mean if you're buying sport tires you're really not getting them for longevity so nothing to be surprised at. Now if you're getting 4000 miles to a squared off rear on any kind of hard compound or touring tire somethin wrong.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 31, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I'd go through a set of tires a month at 3k intervals :v: Thank god for pilot roads.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Digital_Jesus posted:

If most of your riding is commute you can probably get two rears to a front to cut down on cost a bit. If you're doing any kind of spirited (or jackassery) riding and you're paranoid like I am I just do both tires every 3k-3.5k.

E: I mean if you're buying sport tires you're really not getting them for longevity so nothing to be surprised at. Now if you're getting 4000 miles to a squared off rear on any kind of hard compound or touring tire somethin wrong.

My Battlax is a sport touring tire. Is squaring at 4.3k miles a problem then?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Maybe. Do you gun the throttle a lot on straights and do a lot of highway miles? I also have no clue what you ride.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Digital_Jesus posted:

Maybe. Do you gun the throttle a lot on straights and do a lot of highway miles? I also have no clue what you ride.

I do a small amount of highway miles - they're probably 20-30% of the miles I ride. My bike is a 43hp Honda CTX700 and I do like to gun it, but how much damage can that much HP really do?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's probably more of a tire pressure issue.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BlackMK4 posted:

It's probably more of a tire pressure issue.

I don't think so. I run 42psi, the maximum recommended by Honda for my bike, and I check it at least weekly, usually twice a week.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Why are you keeping them inflated to the max psi?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Radbot posted:

I don't think so. I run 42psi, the maximum recommended by Honda for my bike, and I check it at least weekly, usually twice a week.

I was going to give you poo poo but they actually do recommend 42PSI if you are adding over 200lb. Max psi and not a lot of weight will definitely wear the middle faster than normal.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I had a Battlax (not sure which) on the rear of my K100, got a couple thousand miles out of it before it wore down in the middle. Yes I kept the air set to bike's spec. Replaced it with a lovely Shinko that felt about the same, got like 6k on it so far, still looks fine.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

El Jebus posted:

I was going to give you poo poo but they actually do recommend 42PSI if you are adding over 200lb. Max psi and not a lot of weight will definitely wear the middle faster than normal.

Hmm, didn't know that. Thanks.

Yep, my gear and body definitely weigh more than 200lbs.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Theres a $50 rebate right now on Dunlop Q3's - any downsides to these? looks like with a rebate I can get a set for $216. I have an 07 FZ6. Overkill? Any good in the wet?

I had dunlop direzza ZII's on my miata and they were insanely sticky and these seems like a comparable bike tire.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's a pretty screaming deal, I'd go for it. They're not gonna be great in the wet, but they're going to be usable.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is there any specific attribute I should be looking for when searching for a tire that can handle gravel well? I assume that's included in "dry weather handling"?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Distanzias or something with a giant, chunky tread block is going to be your best bet. Otherwise, everything will be equally good/bad. Gravel is best handled by big tread blocks/knobbies, compound doesn't make much difference.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Distanzias are about as good as it gets on gravel for still being good on the road. TKC-80s are more off-road but obviously shittier on road. They come in a variety of road bike sizes, I looked at trying them after the Distanzia but I just don't go off road that much any more.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Voltage posted:

I'm guessing the extra $200 is worth it to get PR4's over the contis?

If you're looking for the middle of the road check out D404's I'm on them and they're a huge step up from the 5+ year old tires I was on before. My view of tires may be skewed.

I love them, I'm on a cruiser though, so depending on what the bike is maybe not for you?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I'm looking to do baby's first track weekend next month on my SV650 and since I'm no longer commuting on it I figured I'd swap out the Pilot Roads I have on there currently for some more track oriented tires. Is the BT-003 the right tire for that or should I be looking at something else? I figure the DOT tires are going to be wasted on me for now so no point in that. The BT-003s are only $240 for the set off motorcycle superstore which seems pretty reasonable.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can run those or just pick up a set of Q2/Q3/S20/Power Pure. The tires you have on now can be run up to fast B, at least, too.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Digital_Jesus posted:

Maybe all Conti tires don't suck.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

A few choice quotes about the ContiAttack SM from esteemed posters.

Zool posted:

[...] the ContiAttack SM if you want an all out grippy summer tire.

ReelBigLizard posted:

In short, the ContiAttack SM is the tyre Jesus would use, if Jesus rode a supermoto, which he obviously would.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

You can run those or just pick up a set of Q2/Q3/S20/Power Pure. The tires you have on now can be run up to fast B, at least, too.

Dunlop has a $50 rebate on the Q3s which brings it down to 185 for a set, so I guess I'll go with those.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Considering new tires to replace the stock Dunlops on the DRZ400sm.

I want to stay at 150/60/17 for the rear. I don't think they make PP3s in that size, are the PP 2CTs a decent substitute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah. Also could just go with Contiforce SMs if you want more grip and fun.

• Locked thread