Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JewKiller 3000 posted:

for a forum full of rule 36 following tech workers, you all seem to care a whole lot about poors

we are all part of the system, and many of us are (temporarily) part of a genteel film of comfort capping a great well of suffering. living on that thin film does not imply we need clap for each new depredation, or cheer on the ruthless exploiters in silicon valley

the valley wasn't always this way. there was a time when computerization and the internet promised to liberate us, not make us subjects of the valley's feudal elite. and it wasn't that long ago. remember "don't be evil" ?

not only is it totally ok for the yospos audience to piss all over the bubble, we of all people are best placed to understand why it is terrible, and explain it to others. our comfort and familiarity with the industry impose a duty on all of us to explain how uber and airbnb and eaze can gently caress right off

tl;dr: gently caress all the shitsacks who want to get rich by breaking the law and making society poorer. i'm part of the industry but i ain't gonna stand next to those fuckers

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

JewKiller 3000 posted:

so how come it's ok for mcdonalds to exploit the poor but not uber? getting a ride home when you're drunk makes life tolerable too

melanin

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we are all part of the system, and many of us are (temporarily) part of a genteel film of comfort capping a great well of suffering. living on that thin film does not imply we need clap for each new depredation, or cheer on the ruthless exploiters in silicon valley

the valley wasn't always this way. there was a time when computerization and the internet promised to liberate us, not make us subjects of the valley's feudal elite. and it wasn't that long ago. remember "don't be evil" ?

not only is it totally ok for the yospos audience to piss all over the bubble, we of all people are best placed to understand why it is terrible, and explain it to others. our comfort and familiarity with the industry impose a duty on all of us to explain how uber and airbnb and eaze can gently caress right off

tl;dr: gently caress all the shitsacks who want to get rich by breaking the law and making society poorer. i'm part of the industry but i ain't gonna stand next to those fuckers

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is a very good articulation of why i am so displeased with google.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is a good post

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

google didn't just let us down.

google betrayed us.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

so how come it's ok for mcdonalds to exploit the poor but not uber? getting a ride home when you're drunk makes life tolerable too

it's not ok for mcdonalds to exploit the poor, there are several lawsuits in the pipeline and organized efforts to force them to treat employees as human beings

part of the problem is that mcdonalds claims that most employees don't actually work for them, they work for the franchisee and thus corp has no responsibility, no siree

it's actually conceptually similar to how uber approaches their employees, just without the middle-man of the franchisee. for uber, every employee is a franchisee

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the promise was always a lie. even in the 80s and 90s a lot of people realized it. the brave new frontier of cyberspace was just consumers commodifying their thoughts and feelings so they could be packaged up and sold to other consumers as entertainment by large telecom concerns.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 26, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

it's not ok for mcdonalds to exploit the poor, there are several lawsuits in the pipeline and organized efforts to force them to treat employees as human beings

part of the problem is that mcdonalds claims that most employees don't actually work for them, they work for the franchisee and thus corp has no responsibility, no siree

it's actually conceptually similar to how uber approaches their employees, just without the middle-man of the franchisee. for uber, every employee is a franchisee

mcdonalds ruthlessly exploits their franchisees. they're treated much, much worse than the workers. it's totally routine for mcD's corporate to gently caress franchisees out of thousands or even millions of dollars. and i don't care at all, because they can take it.

mcD's franchisees are required, as a condition of applying, to be millionaires. they have to prove they can afford to buy the franchise, they have to buy the franchise with non-borrowed money, and they're expected to be able to lose 100% of their investment and then some. in short, they're rich as gently caress, and they're expected to evaluate what they're getting into

uber's "franchisees" are struggling members of the middle class who can't even afford their cars. screwing over rich men who can afford to lose the money is very different from loving over regular workers who definitely can't

p.s. not all franchise operations are as upstanding as mcD's. subway, for instance, is dirty as hell. they guarantee practically nothing as part of the franchise agreement, open up unlimited numbers of stores in a geographic area, and set up thousands of shell companies to make it hard to sue them. it's pretty normal for ordinary people to scrape together $50k for subway and lose everything

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
never forget :img_cryingBurningManDoodle:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

p.s. not all franchise operations are as upstanding as mcD's. subway, for instance, is dirty as hell. they guarantee practically nothing as part of the franchise agreement, open up unlimited numbers of stores in a geographic area, and set up thousands of shell companies to make it hard to sue them. it's pretty normal for ordinary people to scrape together $50k for subway and lose everything

so that's why theres so many goddamn subways

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

JewKiller 3000 posted:

because gently caress uber that's why

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

uncurable mlady posted:

this is a good post

notorious bsd is a good poster

sometimes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

THC posted:

the promise was always a lie. even in the 80s and 90s a lot of people realized it. the brave new frontier of cyberspace was just consumers commodifying their thoughts and feelings so they could be packaged up and sold to other consumers as entertainment by large telecom concerns.

not all of cyberspace turned out that way. it was never predestined it would end that way

thewell still exists, and now it's owned by its users

livejournal is mostly paid by subscription

tumblr is a hot mess but it's a user-generated hot mess mostly untainted by tumblr's commercial needs

github is just awesome: it serves commercial purposes without trammeling users own voices and desires. too bad it's so industry supecific

last, and least, we're all sitting here chatting on lowtax's paid hosting. but lowtax is not really able to commodify our feelings and thoughts. the content is the community is the content.

and this is just the web poo poo. plenty of cool poo poo has happened in tech without becoming a soulless nightmare

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

THC posted:

I would argue that there's plenty of examples of people that saw cyberspace and technology for the truly radical thing it was but all of it got co-opted

there's still vestiges of that culture out there but I don't think it really exists like it was back then. literally everything that is created online is commodified if it isn't already a commodity. Denny's Twitter is a good example of this. it's also kinda interesting how much more quickly critical expression emerges (see @brands saying bae or saved you a click) but even criticism is a commodity on the modern Internet (tumblr rageistas, political commentators, et al)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

not all of cyberspace turned out that way. it was never predestined it would end that way

tumblr is a hot mess but it's a user-generated hot mess mostly untainted by tumblr's commercial needs

github is just awesome: it serves commercial purposes without trammeling users own voices and desires. too bad it's so industry supecific

last, and least, we're all sitting here chatting on lowtax's paid hosting. but lowtax is not really able to commodify our feelings and thoughts. the content is the community is the content.

and this is just the web poo poo. plenty of cool poo poo has happened in tech without becoming a soulless nightmare

i want 2 respond to this but im going to sleep so I will try 2 remember tomorrow

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

all of this involves consumers paying monthly fees to large telecom companies for the privilege. aint nobody starting up an ISP in their moms garage. it's not as democratic and liberating as its cracked up to be

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 26, 2015

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

THC posted:

all of this involves consumers paying monthly fees to large telecom companies for the privilege

i don't think anybody ever thought that technology would free us from capitalism

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

'user-generated hot mess' is a good desc of tumblr

some of the most innovative poo poo on the web happens on tumblr

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

i don't think anybody ever thought that technology would free us from capitalism

at least not since the 70s

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

notorious for pres :patriot:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

what about rcn and municipal fiber operators that provide tv service?

*throws grenade and runs away*

all I know about rcn is they caused a 13 hour phone outage for Verizon in northern new England because their "redundant" paths were 2 sets of fiber in the same conduit that some retard cut in 2. then the stupid fuckers spliced the fiber backwards. terrible company

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

all I know about rcn is they caused a 13 hour phone outage for Verizon in northern new England because their "redundant" paths were 2 sets of fiber in the same conduit that some retard cut in 2. then the stupid fuckers spliced the fiber backwards. terrible company

Comcast basically killed off RCN here around 2002ish when DSL was just starting to really become a thing. RCN was one of the first affordable providers of the tv/phone/DSL packages but only really took off in the white trash suburb neighborhoods. Comcast eventually had their cable service and that was that. I think my house had some weird early MSN/Verizon DSL thing.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

triple sulk posted:

Comcast basically killed off RCN here around 2002ish when DSL was just starting to really become a thing. RCN was one of the first affordable providers of the tv/phone/DSL packages but only really took off in the white trash suburb neighborhoods. Comcast eventually had their cable service and that was that. I think my house had some weird early MSN/Verizon DSL thing.

i have comcast these days and honestly they are much shittier than any of the experiences i ever had at rcn

rcn raised their monthly price by about $5 over 2 years while the comcast equivalent has been $25 over 15 months

only option other than rcn at the time was service electric but lol at 2 Mbps up

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

this is a good post

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

no but

THC posted:

it's not as democratic and liberating as its cracked up to be
sorry for the edit

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i think thats somewhat a side effect of how much money is involved atm

being an honest company is a losing strategy; any company that tries will just get steamrolled and replaced by a new company that's more willing to be scummy

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I already have the best idea on my new startup.

A subscription based umbrella service.

For only $19.95 a month they will mail you an umbrella a month, with various designs and patterns on it.

In the summer, they will mail you a golf umbrella.

Paging uber

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is a great post, and i'm certainly not suggesting anyone should applaud uber any more than they applaud mcds or whatever other corporation when it behaves the way corporations behave (as badly as possible). but imo if you're part of the industry then you are standing next to those fuckers, and we should all admit this. it's not something to celebrate, but definitely something to recognize. our industry as a whole exists to automate entire classes of people out of their jobs, and the only jobs we create are for other tech workers, or low paying work for those who fill in the tech gaps (beep boop i pres butan i drive uber car). we get paid cushy salaries because this is what we do. we create profits for companies at the expense of middle class labor

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

for a forum full of rule 36 following tech workers, you all seem to care a whole lot about poors

using the mystical power of hindsight I understand that I am where I am mostly because I was just stupidly lucky enough to have parents who had the foresight and money to buy a second-hand home computer in the 80s and as a consequence I have a job and hobby that pays well pretty much by accident

basically I became an adult at some point somehow and keep hoping all the other olds around me join in at some point

also everything BSD said

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

this is a great post, and i'm certainly not suggesting anyone should applaud uber any more than they applaud mcds or whatever other corporation when it behaves the way corporations behave (as badly as possible). but imo if you're part of the industry then you are standing next to those fuckers, and we should all admit this. it's not something to celebrate, but definitely something to recognize. our industry as a whole exists to automate entire classes of people out of their jobs, and the only jobs we create are for other tech workers, or low paying work for those who fill in the tech gaps (beep boop i pres butan i drive uber car). we get paid cushy salaries because this is what we do. we create profits for companies at the expense of middle class labor

which is why I support a mincome and think a culture that defines a person's utility by their job/income is toxic poo poo garbage that needs to go up against the wall

gently caress's sake I make more than twice what my gf makes for helping special needs adults - take more of my filthy lucre and ease real human suffering jfc

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

quality snipe

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Behind every great fortune there is a crime.
—Balzac

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Munkeymon posted:

take more of my filthy lucre and ease real human suffering jfc

problem seems to be that every time someone tries to do this they only get halfway

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

JewKiller 3000 posted:

there is nothing wrong with the automation of labor, it's just that as a society we don't distribute the benefits of automation to those who's jobs have been made obsolete. the automation is not the problem, it's the capitalism. hth

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you know it's possible to be aware of how the industry one works in and profits from is exploitative and destructive as all hell without disappearing up your own gaping rear end in a top hat in awe of your self awareness

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PokeJoe posted:

there is nothing wrong with the automation of labor, it's just that as a society we don't distribute the benefits of automation to those who's jobs have been made obsolete. the automation is not the problem, it's the capitalism. hth
yeah, eliminating dangerous toil using machines is a net social boon, but all the benefits go to the people who own the machines and not the society at large. capital wins again!

and the thing that gets me about uber (compared to mcdonalds) is how all of the risk is put on the individual driver. he owns the car, he is at the whim of the ebb and flow of the business, he has to maintain the car and deal with individual passengers (who may be violent or vomitingly drunk or enjoy committing acts of vandalism), the company was revise its terms of employment at any time or stop doing business with him at any time - all the money flows up to uber, all the risk belongs to him, and in return he gets no benefits and a trickle of unreliable earnings which probably arent enough to cover operating expenses. at least working at mickey ds doesnt require me to carry my own liability insurance, finance a $40000 vehicle at subprime rates to start working there, or pay self employment tax

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

unless you get murdered because uber didn't do half as much safety checking and testing as taxi companies are required to do

even if you give absolutely zero shits whatsoever about how the drivers are treated, uber's law-breaking is also bad and dangerous for consumers because a large portion of why they break the law is in order to dodge the fact that commercial driving operations are typically held to decently rigorous standards regarding driver quality, training, and safety monitoring, whereas uber tacks on a $1 fee for every ride just to do a cursory background check on drivers and nothing else

like, even if you don't care how mcdonalds workers are treated, it's still not good if you start finding fingers in your burger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member

FMguru posted:

at least working at mickey ds doesnt require me to carry my own liability insurance, finance a $40000 vehicle at subprime rates to start working there, or pay self employment tax

yet

anyone who hasn't should read pandora's vox

• Locked thread