Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Kurieg posted:

You can use the same scrap of meat all day every day to summon beasts because it isn't consumed, even once it has long since gone rotten and stale.
You shouldnt need a rule for that. Thats well-within the 'DM can make the meat rot if the game has that kind of detail' range.

If someone wants to argue that meat never goes bad because a game book doesnt have a section defining microbiological consumption of organic goods... get rid of that player ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If I were to throw together a crib sheet for 5e newbies like myself formatted for low ink use when printing, what ought to be included? What do you wish had been outlined a little more clearly when you started playing?

And if someone has already done this, could I get the link? All I've found out there is DM screens, multi page lovely formatting, only combat-related, or festooned with colored boxes and pretty pictures that waste ink. I'm just looking for the stuff that would help not consult the PHB every three minutes.

I found this: http://www.scribd.com/doc/234986519/D-D-Cheat-Sheet-Low-Ink

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

A tabletop gamer was asking for advice from the writer of a new game he had been playing. "Lately, the game has been less fun; thinking that the rules are unclear and unfair, and finding themselves prone to arguing about them, my friends have been less and less interested in playing. Starting a new campaign seems pointless, and I fear only misery will come of it," he said to the writer. "How can I bring fun back to the table?"

To this, the writer said, "The veteran DM Pagliacci has been looking for players for his weekly game. Join that game, and he'll surely show you how the answers you've been seeking."

"But sir," he replied, "I am Pagliacci."

Quis dominabitur ipsos dominos alearum?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If I were to throw together a crib sheet for 5e newbies like myself formatted for low ink use when printing, what ought to be included? What do you wish had been outlined a little more clearly when you started playing?

And if someone has already done this, could I get the link? All I've found out there is DM screens, multi page lovely formatting, only combat-related, or festooned with colored boxes and pretty pictures that waste ink. I'm just looking for the stuff that would help not consult the PHB every three minutes.

Check out Ritorix's cheat sheet

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, so you only get one bonus action per turn? I wasn't clear on that. So you can't use a bonus action to generate a bonus action; that makes sense as an exploit cut-off. And you also can't, for example, use Extra attack to generate more bonus actions from Polearm Master or Two Weapon Fighting?

What about a scimitar of speed? Is it only useful if you use it by itself? Because it lets you attack with it again as a bonus action, so if you use it in a two-weapon fighting style which makes a bonus action for the offhand weapon, that would mean you can't use the bonus action for the scimitar. Right?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I would assume the benefits of the scimitar of speed are 1) you can attack again with it even if you're not two-weapon fighting and 2) you still get your ability score bonus to the damage, which normal TWF bonus attacks don't get unless you take a feat.

A bonus action is a specific thing, that you get one per turn, just like your Action. If you spend your bonus action making an off-hand attack, you can't pull a second bonus action out of your rear end to activate the scimitar. Likewise, if you spend your bonus action to activate the scimitar, you cannot make an off-hand attack because you already spent your bonus action. So yes, Lotish, your interpretation is correct.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You only get one bonus action a round, no matter how many abilities trigger that say you can take a bonus action to do a thing, you only have one bonus action to spend on it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A bonus action is the minor action from 4e but with a more confusing name.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You also can't downconvert move actions to bonus actions like you could in 4e.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Thanks to both of you.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Kurieg posted:

You also can't downconvert move actions to bonus actions like you could in 4e.

The problem with that was minor attacks. A ranger could get next to his target, then the following round make a standard action attack, a minor action attack, then use his move action to make another minor action attack, then burn his action point and make another standard action attack. It was obscene.

I still miss action points as a thing for all classes, but :shrug:

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Lemniscate Blue posted:

And if someone has already done this, could I get the link?

I use this one and it's pretty great:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2j5qlg/final_version_of_my_5e_dm_screenplayer_cheat_sheet/

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Dick Burglar posted:

The problem with that was minor attacks. A ranger could get next to his target, then the following round make a standard action attack, a minor action attack, then use his move action to make another minor action attack, then burn his action point and make another standard action attack. It was obscene.

I still miss action points as a thing for all classes, but :shrug:

4e suffered fairly hard from action bloat, much as 3e did (although with 3e it was only for spellcasters, naturally). I think the main issue was having minor attacks in the first place. Minor actions work perfectly when they're for healing, action efficiency (so move a a minor), or incidental cool effects (rolling additional saves); once you add an attack to that list, the metagame twists into finding ways to easily get minor attacks (the same thing happened with "multitaps;" once you could theoretically get a power that hits more then once, the entire metagame became based on rules crowbaring a many powers into multitaps as possible). Really the lesson to be learned from 4e period is to limit the avenues of offensive capabilities because they will always override everything else; a strong offense is always the best defense, and dead is the best condition to inflict on enemies. Of course D&D still hasn't learned the 3e lesson of "don't make players choose between effective in-combat maneuvers and cool out of combat maneuvers" so I'm not holding my breath there.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Despite death being the best condition (and I do agree), on the other end 4E lets you lock down combat to an insane degree, so the other half of the metagame is disabling enemy combatants to pointlessness (and making the fight take longer). So a huge part of the metagame on both sides is causing or preventing that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Okay, so I went to an Encounters session and played 5e. This is going to be fairly obvious to anybody who has been playing but I can sum up my opinion by saying:

This is D&D. It's generically D&D. It may be the D&D-est D&D ever made - the Ur-D&D, warts and all. I'm just not sure that's what I'm looking for out of an RPG anymore.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
All I know is that the worst thing about the decision to turf 4e was that there will never be more "Fell's Five"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lotish posted:

Okay, so you only get one bonus action per turn?

Yes. If you have more than one thing that uses a Bonus Action, you have to pick and choose, and that includes an off-hand attack if you're dual-wielding.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Kurieg posted:

So WTOC released a new column going over a few questions people have had about casting spells.

It is very dumb and I have no idea what person would actually ask these questions

Here's the worst of it.

After reading those last two the only conclusion I can come to is why anyone would use a focus and line itemize their entire spell list for versimilitude over just keeping a free hand and a component pouch.

So spellcaster/fighters cannot use a shield or two hander, and arcane foci are pointless.

I'm glad sage advice is just as useful as it was in previous editions.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

starkebn posted:

All I know is that the worst thing about the decision to turf 4e was that there will never be more "Fell's Five"

Oh sweet Jesus, yes. That still makes me nerd-angry, that comic was good.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well played some 5e tonight. Got into an argument about a feat and the way reach works. Maybe I am mistaken. Since everyone still there at that time took the other side. I was under the impression that threatening reach didn't exist, having a polearm or whip did not let you make opportunity attacks at 10 or 15 ft away. That your reach, when you weren't attacking, was still 5 feet. And thus that Polearm Master gave an opportunity attack when someone moved from 10 ft away to try and get 5 ft away, not when someone 15 ft away tried to move 10 ft away. And thus I was under the assumption that I could go and hit someone, and that if they wanted to get close enough to hit me my feat would give me an opportunity attack, and not that I would have to move 5 ft away so that I was 15 ft away from them, to get the attack when they got within 10 ft of me again.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

Well played some 5e tonight. Got into an argument about a feat and the way reach works. Maybe I am mistaken. Since everyone still there at that time took the other side. I was under the impression that threatening reach didn't exist, having a polearm or whip did not let you make opportunity attacks at 10 or 15 ft away. That your reach, when you weren't attacking, was still 5 feet. And thus that Polearm Master gave an opportunity attack when someone moved from 10 ft away to try and get 5 ft away, not when someone 15 ft away tried to move 10 ft away. And thus I was under the assumption that I could go and hit someone, and that if they wanted to get close enough to hit me my feat would give me an opportunity attack, and not that I would have to move 5 ft away so that I was 15 ft away from them, to get the attack when they got within 10 ft of me again.

Ask your DM.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Your interpretation of the rules is the same as mine, Ryuujin. Reach is always 5 feet. Polearm Mastery gives you an OA trigger if someone moves into your 5 foot radius. It also lets you attack targets 10 feet away, but the 10 foot range does NOT apply to OAs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ryuujin posted:

According to the PHB, Reach weapons only add 5 foot to your reach when you're attacking. Your reach, when you aren't attacking, is still 5 feet.

But DM has final say so :shobon:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I seem to recall that two different 5e devs have given the opposite answers on this question. So really it is up to the DM (as lovely of an answer as that is), because gently caress if anybody else knows.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I seem to recall that two different 5e devs have given the opposite answers on this question. So really it is up to the DM (as lovely of an answer as that is), because gently caress if anybody else knows.

IIRC Crawford's tweet was so vaguely worded as to not really answer the question at all, while Mearls' tweet supports the 10-foot-reach-only-while-attacking interpretation.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

So spellcaster/fighters cannot use a shield or two hander, and arcane foci are pointless.

I'm glad sage advice is just as useful as it was in previous editions.

It's a way to force people to take War Caster, which they're going to want to do anyway if they're casting concentration duration spells in melee. But feel free to get mad about how they force you to take a feat if you want to be a iconic paladin with a two handed weapon or sword and board and still cast spells, meaning you either need to be human or wait till level 4.

gradenko_2000 posted:

IIRC Crawford's tweet was so vaguely worded as to not really answer the question at all, while Mearls' tweet supports the 10-foot-reach-only-while-attacking interpretation.

If memory serves this was a thing that has come up before in previous editions, and the answer was "You only have the extra reach on your turn."

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Taking a feat at level 4 seems like a pretty lousy idea, since that means your primary ability will lag behind until level 12.

Not to mention the people usually utilizing War Caster are not pure casters and therefore have TWO scores they want to improve (attack stat and caster stat), unless they manage to get Shillelagh.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
...Aren't feats supposed to be optional?

This loving game! :holymoley:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Speaking of feats, let's talk Polearm Master and its bonus action attack. Do you get to add your ability modifier to the damage roll?

Argument against: normal two-weapon fighting does not allow you to. The feat does not explicitly say you can add your ability modifier.
Argument for: this is not technically two-weapon fighting, it's just "make a melee attack," and you're also spending a feat.

Personally I would assume you wouldn't get the modifier but the Paladin charop thread thinks you do (shocking, right?). Gotta love this use of clear, natural language.

PS: if anyone says "ask your DM" I will stab you from 10 feet away with a polearm.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

Speaking of feats, let's talk Polearm Master and its bonus action attack. Do you get to add your ability modifier to the damage roll?

Argument against: normal two-weapon fighting does not allow you to. The feat does not explicitly say you can add your ability modifier.
Argument for: this is not technically two-weapon fighting, it's just "make a melee attack," and you're also spending a feat.

Personally I would assume you wouldn't get the modifier but the Paladin charop thread thinks you do (shocking, right?). Gotta love this use of clear, natural language.
Ask your DM.

quote:

PS: if anyone says "ask your DM" I will stab you from 10 feet away with a polearm.

You can't, it's not your turn.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
The rules for damage with a weapon say you add your ability modifier, and Polearm Master doesn't say you don't add your ability modifier, so you add your ability modifier.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'd say you do. If you're good at TWF (i.e. get the abilities) you can add your ability mod. So spending a feat for 1d4+Str (which is presumably un-magic-weaponable)? Sure, why not. 7 or 8 more damage ain't going to make much of a difference.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Reading that char-op thread again they also assume Polearm master lets you make OAs when people move into your 10 foot reach.

So they're doing the "read every rule as if it gives you the most positive interpretation possible" thing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

You always add your ability modifier to an attack unless the rules say to do otherwise. For Two Weapon Fighting, the rules say to do otherwise. The Polearm Master feat does not explicitly forbid you from adding your ability modifier, so you add your ability modifier

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
When you say move into your reach do you mean moving from 15' away to 10' away, or from 10' away to 5' away? Because the feat does let you make an OA when someone enters your reach, the problem is dependent on what range your DM decides that triggers at.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The problem is what your reach is when using one. Polearms are stated to give you 5' extra reach when you attack. Nobody knows if that means you still have 10' reach when you're not actively attacking or not, because it's left wide open to interpretation.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
I am getting ready to start my first 5E game tomorrow and I was looking for tips on my character build. I am wanting to be a Dragonborn Grappler, who focuses on grabbing people and hitting them with breath attack, as well as grabbing people and throwing them over cliffs and forcing them prone onto fires. I realize that this is already less than optimized to say the least, but am looking for advice on what class to play. Starting at level one, I am leaning towards being a fighter, because I like Action Surge, and I think the stats of the fighter mesh well with the Dragonborn. Any build advice? The only thing I am really set on is being a Dragonborn and a grappler.

EDIT: Also, I am looking for advice on which breath attack to pick. When grappling, is a cone attack or a line attack better? I am leaning toward fire or acid, although I think it could be amusing to use lightning breath in a wet environment.

furiouskoala fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 26, 2015

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Best way to build a grappler is to play a Bard with high strength, and put the bonus skill stuff the bard gets in athletics (i believe thats the grapple skill).

Pick Lightning or Acid, far more stuff is likely to be resistant to fire or cold. Cone is probably better since your likely to be in the middle of everything when your grappling letting you hit more targets.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Isn't grappling skill-based, meaning Rogues and Bards are better at it than any Fighter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Isn't grappling skill-based, meaning Rogues and Bards are better at it than any Fighter?

Yep, it was worked out earlier in the thread that bards are the far superior grapplers.