Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope Penny-Two isn't kicked off of the batcomputer for a dumb ol' AI.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Heads-up, read Batgirl #40 before the Endgame tie-in if you're getting both. Endgame takes place after the regular book, or it certainly looks that way, considering (spoilers for both)Endgame has Batgirl and Oracle working to evacuate people from the Jokerised area

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Was Taters posted:

Then who'd you like the brunette to be?

Stephanie Brown, who gets killed 2 pages in.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Gaz-L posted:

Heads-up, read Batgirl #40 before the Endgame tie-in if you're getting both. Endgame takes place after the regular book, or it certainly looks that way, considering (spoilers for both)Endgame has Batgirl and Oracle working to evacuate people from the Jokerised area
That's such a weird band-aide fix that doesn't even cover the wound.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the idea is that it eliminates the victimisation aspect while retaining (and expanding) the representation element? It depends on if writers other than Fletcher pick up on it and run.

It's an imperfect fix, but there's no good way to go back to the prior set-up that's not a minefield.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Flameingblack posted:

That's such a weird band-aide fix that doesn't even cover the wound.

Let's be honest, DC desperately trying to patch up their fuckups is something like 50% of their recent output since the reboot.

Gaz-L posted:

I think the idea is that it eliminates the victimisation aspect while retaining (and expanding) the representation element? It depends on if writers other than Fletcher pick up on it and run.

It's an imperfect fix, but there's no good way to go back to the prior set-up that's not a minefield.

Then why didn't they just erase the Killing Joke from continuity again? But then, considering the variant cover, I think throwing that story out of continuity would amount to heresy at DC.

Speaking of expanding the representation element, when can we expect Cassandra Cain back? Because they still never gave a compelling reason to keep Cass out of the books (they've offered vague talk about 'plans', but considering Scott Snyder wanted her for Eternal but was refused, it's clear that was a load of hot air).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Then why didn't they just erase the Killing Joke from continuity again? But then, considering the variant cover, I think throwing that story out of continuity would amount to heresy at DC.

Half that, and half I think DC love the positive feedback they got from having Barbara overcome a tragedy like that, but want to have their cake and eat it, by not having to do the hard work of... telling T-shirt makers that Batgirl has blonde hair or is Asian-American now?

This way they get an Oracle who uses crutches/a wheelchair, but because it's an illness, not due to violence, they don't have to cross the minefield of "YOU FRIDGED BABS!"

Although... given they were coy about the name, I'm wondering if DC are hedging their bets and didn't want to let them use it?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Let's be honest, DC desperately trying to patch up their fuckups is something like 50% of their recent output since the reboot.

Speaking of expanding the representation element, when can we expect Cassandra Cain back? Because they still never gave a compelling reason to keep Cass out of the books (they've offered vague talk about 'plans', but considering Scott Snyder wanted her for Eternal but was refused, it's clear that was a load of hot air).
My personal theory is that editorial just really didn't like Cassandra or Stephanie or how their fans acted on social media so they refused them for as long as possible. It's kind of silly to me that they're still denying both of them on-goings but they'll give D-List nobodies books that pull terrible numbers and get canceled in 4 months.

Let's be real, there's no way the plans they had for Stephanie until she finally showed up in Endgame or whatever were that important they actively put a company-wide ban on using her. It's not like she came out as the loving white lantern or anything.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 19, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Was Cluemaster bring behind the events of Batman: Eternal as out of right field to me as it seemed?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

Was Cluemaster bring behind the events of Batman: Eternal as out of right field to me as it seemed?

Agreed and I am calling bullshit fakeout on it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

Well we are at the point where there are only two issues left so it will be a quick swerve if its fake.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It'll secretly be Steph and she'll be killed with a drill again and the internet will burn to the motherfuckin' ground.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

He was there right at the start planning something with his villain bros, wasn't he? It was definitely designed for you to forget all about him.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Stephanie said her father was working for "Bruce Wayne." That means Cluemaster is one of the main henchmen to this all like Hush, but clearly not the main mastermind. It's either going to be Dr. Hurt or Owlman at this point.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The chaos with the traffic lights and everything was definitely his doing but I'm pretty sure he's still working for someone.

Edit: it's going to be Dan Didio

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

He was there right at the start planning something with his villain bros, wasn't he? It was definitely designed for you to forget all about him.

I guess. He has been in the background the entire series so I guess it wasn't totally out of right field.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I feel like the next issue will be full of exposition from the dude, so hopefully his plan and clues and poo poo will be more interesting than the reveal.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I think it would be really awesome if there were clues and secrets hidden in past issues.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
There's no way of re-establishing Babs as Oracle without it being in really bad taste. This is an imperfect solution to something DC brought on themselves, but the execution has been handled gracefully and Frankie is pretty likable.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Short of literally erasing the New 52 from existence and pretending like nothing ever changed, of course.

If they wanted to reference Killing Joke without betraying the current spirit of Batgirl they should do a cover with Babs doing the famous "Smile!" cover, holding up her phone, with a picture of Joker in bat-cuffs or whatever on the screen. It's the simplest most obvious thing. You reference the classic story everyone just can't get enough of but the hero gets to turn the tables on the villain.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

Short of literally erasing the New 52 from existence and pretending like nothing ever changed, of course.

If they wanted to reference Killing Joke without betraying the current spirit of Batgirl they should do a cover with Babs doing the famous "Smile!" cover, holding up her phone, with a picture of Joker in bat-cuffs or whatever on the screen. It's the simplest most obvious thing. You reference the classic story everyone just can't get enough of but the hero gets to turn the tables on the villain.

Someone in the chat or DC thread posted a fanart image of basically exactly that, and she's using a smartphone's front camera, so the screen mimics the lens in the original, which is both cool, and reflects the social media focus of this run.

Semper Fudge posted:

There's no way of re-establishing Babs as Oracle without it being in really bad taste. This is an imperfect solution to something DC brought on themselves, but the execution has been handled gracefully and Frankie is pretty likable.

The hinting of Alissa from Simone's run also putting on a costume kinda suggests the creative team are trying to build to a new Birds of Prey gradually. They have talked about doing a crossover in like September, I think?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Travis343 posted:

But is it worth risking possibly alienating the new audience that Batgirl has brought in though, one that was never around for Babs' stint as Oracle?

There's really no way of putting this genie back in the bottle for better or worse.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah, I was being facetious. They've leaned in hard and they don't really have a choice but to ride on through and see where it goes.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Semper Fudge posted:

But is it worth risking possibly alienating the new audience that Batgirl has brought in though, one that was never around for Babs' stint as Oracle?

It most defiantly isn't. The core audience that complains still buys the book and will always buy the book no matter what, there is no point in catering to them.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Travis343 posted:

Looks like someone felt the same way. https://twitter.com/ShonuffArt/status/578700953282441216/photo/1

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Travis343 posted:

I agree that KJ could be referenced for a Barbara cover, it just has to be in better taste.

That said, your proposal was already used for the Harley Quinn variant by Cliff Chiang so it'd be kinda lazy to do the same thing twice over.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

lotus circle posted:

I agree that KJ could be referenced for a Barbara cover, it just has to be in better taste.

That said, your proposal was already used for the Harley Quinn variant by Cliff Chiang so it'd be kinda lazy to do the same thing twice over.

Never saw that cover actually. Yeah it's a shame they cashed that check so early, it would have been a lot better for a Joker cover imo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

lotus circle posted:

Ah. I think I saw that one without trade dress and assumed it was fan-art, but yeah, that would've been the way to go.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

RIP Damian's superpowers :cry:

Carrie Kelly coulda had a second in the final B&R :/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 25, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Man, Batman & Robin final arc was FANTASTIC. The interactions between Damian, Bruce, Alfred and the league were pure gold. For once we didn't have a "WORLD IS ENDING" kind of threat dangling over their heads and the conclusion to the superpowers plot was incredibly well handled.

Tomasi really brings his A-game when writing Damian (shame I can't say the same of his work on other characters).

Real pleased to have Damian back and I can't wait to see what's next for him on June.

Eternal's reveal was massively stupid and contrived, in the end is just a lame ripoff of Hush with Some Knightfall throwed in for good measure.

And it got a second volume now focused on the Robins... :cripes:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Madkal posted:

There ya go. Only having gotten into Batman recently who is the guy that cut Cluemasters throat?

EDIT:

Google tells me thats Lincoln Marsh. I think a couple of you called this a month or so ago.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 25, 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Batman and Robin was superb. A comic where Batman isn't dark and broody and that shows off the relationship between father and son perfectly. Seriously one of the best Batman comics I have read in a long time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Batman is a terrible dad. Encouraging his son to sneak into girls' bedrooms and steal. :colbert:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I love how Gotham Academy is built on an occasion where Batman did everything wrong. No, you do not blame the mother in front of the girl with the same powers, and you certainly don't throw her in the loony bin instead of putting them in a well-stocked cabin with lots of medication somewhere.

And the art is super great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The one problem I had with it is a side-effect of how young and hot they made Bruce. I didn't realise it was Damian sneaking into Olive's room at the end until he was named. (Well, you could also see it as the art team drawing him as older than I'm used to seeing him)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Eternal's reveal was massively stupid and contrived

Fixed. :smug:

But really, for a second, a tiny second I almost thought "heh, that's kind of a neat idea behind it all" with Cluemaster explaining that his whole idea hinged on Batman totally overlooking D-listers and only going for the "big guys", but then he kept on talking about his plan and it all fell apart and I went right back to hating it. So you framed Gordon and just sent cards to every villain loving ever... how? I mean, you're a D-list villain and you haven't been active for years, and suddenly you have the means to track down guys like Hush and Riddler and loving Ra's Al Ghul? poo poo, the US Postal Service in the DCU must be staffed by some hardcore motherfuckers! And plus, for some master schemer, his whole master plan seemed to be "well I'll mail these guys cards, frame Gordon and then... well hopefully things'll go to poo poo and I'll capitalize on it". I mean drat at least when Hush was the master planner like 5 bait-and-switches ago, he was out in the field getting poo poo done himself, having his own underlings, infiltrating the mansion and incapacitating Alfred and then even having contingencies for that poo poo. Cluemaster's whole scheme could've fallen apart if a couple of Batman's rogues turned down the offer (and it would be in character for most of them because his rogues' gallery is nothing if not a bunch of egomaniacs that would not enjoy the idea of being manipulated for someone else's schemes).

At the end, there was an bit of a good story idea there, but that bit is nothing against the ton of dumb poo poo in the rest.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

wiegieman posted:

I love how Gotham Academy is built on an occasion where Batman did everything wrong. No, you do not blame the mother in front of the girl with the same powers, and you certainly don't throw her in the loony bin instead of putting them in a well-stocked cabin with lots of medication somewhere.

And the art is super great.

Man I was just on the edge of dropping this book from my pull list (I have some problems with how the mystery is constructed, how the art is beautiful but maybe not so great at the storytelling sometimes, and also that I'm not the YA target audience) but that issue was really great at tying up a bunch of the mysteries and character arcs. I'm fully on board and trust what everyone involved has planned next. Especially cos Damian. But man, waiting until June for the next issue...is the Endgame tie in out before then?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's out next week.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

Fixed. :smug:

But really, for a second, a tiny second I almost thought "heh, that's kind of a neat idea behind it all" with Cluemaster explaining that his whole idea hinged on Batman totally overlooking D-listers and only going for the "big guys", but then he kept on talking about his plan and it all fell apart and I went right back to hating it. So you framed Gordon and just sent cards to every villain loving ever... how? I mean, you're a D-list villain and you haven't been active for years, and suddenly you have the means to track down guys like Hush and Riddler and loving Ra's Al Ghul? poo poo, the US Postal Service in the DCU must be staffed by some hardcore motherfuckers! And plus, for some master schemer, his whole master plan seemed to be "well I'll mail these guys cards, frame Gordon and then... well hopefully things'll go to poo poo and I'll capitalize on it". I mean drat at least when Hush was the master planner like 5 bait-and-switches ago, he was out in the field getting poo poo done himself, having his own underlings, infiltrating the mansion and incapacitating Alfred and then even having contingencies for that poo poo. Cluemaster's whole scheme could've fallen apart if a couple of Batman's rogues turned down the offer (and it would be in character for most of them because his rogues' gallery is nothing if not a bunch of egomaniacs that would not enjoy the idea of being manipulated for someone else's schemes).

At the end, there was an bit of a good story idea there, but that bit is nothing against the ton of dumb poo poo in the rest.

About that:

"James Tynion IV posted:

"Scott Snyder is sort of the godfather of this project, I developed the original concept of the story with Scott, and he was there to help shape it. He fell in love with all of these different pieces of the story."

Tynion :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What youre saying is that Tynion is the Lincoln Marsh of your own personal Eternal?

• Locked thread