Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There's no extra D, you're saying it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy makes us read again today. And because it's Sooky, we have to read it aloud. (January 25, 1928)

Sooky posted:

Dear Skippy,

You started something when you writed about that Marggie kid, cause us Orioles got lots of letters from people an checks for Oriole A.C. Horsepital Fund for Poor Children. Where is we goin to raise a horsepital? An some people enclosed dollar bills an just sez frum a frend. We cant return them and we dassent keep them. Somerset Gohagen went out an priced some horsepitals, but theys not one for sail. The treshurer don't dast buy candy ever so afraid is he of accusements.

Theys $32.50 we got alreddy not countin are Oriole A.C. Treshury whats got $1.14 for Horsepital usements because each of us sez weel give 5c extra from the 39c we got off dews.

Ill give 6c cause I get 2c a day cartin wood. Were all gettin scairt of this mony and anuther dollar just come in now wile Im writin even. We took a vote on an adder and everybody got blackballed.

Somerset Gohagen sez if we dig up a horsepital Sizzie sez sheel make a quilt. Mortimer is out dickerin with a horsepital now but they won't throw in one teeny weeny doctor an nurse even.

Ray Marlowe sez we dont need a doctor cause he knows how to clean a chicken but he wants a kit a tools sos theyll be no mistooks. Hes up at the library now lookin at a picture insides.

--Sooky

P.S. Write soons you get this.

P.S.S. Some of the fellers wont to borrow sum of the money til Saterday they sez cross thare harts but no I sez.

This was definitely a charity drive, if you're wondering.

Peanuts (March 27, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Just in case you didn't think BatTom was just throwing buzzwords around.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 15-16, 1926)

And now, THE REVEAL.

For getting closest to the real answer, goatface gets an imaginary Internet cigar.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yes! I shall smoke this imaginary cigar with pride.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

I have no idea how amnesia works, and these comics aren't helping. Is it really possible to forget one language but still remember another when you get amnesia?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Mehuyael posted:

I have no idea how amnesia works, and these comics aren't helping. Is it really possible to forget one language but still remember another when you get amnesia?
Yes especially if one language was learned a long time after another.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The elasticity in the language part of your brain takes a nose dive after childhood, and any language you learn after that uses other parts of your brain to compensate by translating it on-the-fly. Even if you appear fluent, you're still expending a ton of mental energy to do those extra steps as you're listening and speaking.

However, Kit Walker grew up in Bangalla with both English and Bandar being spoken to him, so he should be naturally bilingual. It's actually more likely that he'd be dipping in and out of Bandar constantly to the confusion of everybody else.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Alright, then one more question so we don't completely derail things. I know that an amnesiac will forget he lives in say Switzerland. But will he forget that Switzerland exists? Or general information about it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mehuyael posted:

Language is weird

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Tunicate posted:

Language is weird

This thread has ruined me for the world. The second I saw "aphasia" I said BOXCAR!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set talks about women drivers.

Working Daze is dumb.

Chamelaeon
Feb 29, 2008

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Go to your snowbank, Michael! <:mad:---

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

You monster.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm really enjoying this week's Cul de Sac. It's so little kids.

F Minus

Clearly you could stay away for 8 years.

What does that even mean?

Rex Morgan MD

Get it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was looking to order pizza from a place and their sizes are medium, large and extra large and I nearly went all Kudlick.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

^^ :respek: the kitty

RandomFerret posted:

The elasticity in the language part of your brain takes a nose dive after childhood, and any language you learn after that uses other parts of your brain to compensate by translating it on-the-fly. Even if you appear fluent, you're still expending a ton of mental energy to do those extra steps as you're listening and speaking.

However, Kit Walker grew up in Bangalla with both English and Bandar being spoken to him, so he should be naturally bilingual. It's actually more likely that he'd be dipping in and out of Bandar constantly to the confusion of everybody else.

Nothing to do with anything but my grandmother had a stroke and she lost speech. When she got it back she remembered Inupiaq (her first language) but not English.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Goth/emo boy is gonna get compared to Rothko. You might even call him Gothko.

I hope Luann kept and shows off that one she had Bernice draw for her.

Howard Beale posted:

It'll be the only one Professor Crazy Artist Mans likes.

No, you guys. You gotta think dumber than that. No, whatever you just thought of isn't dumb enough, you have to get even dumber than that!

Luann

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

I have no idea how she fell off that thing.

Juliet Jones

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Luann should take that "remove yourself" as a cue to walk out the door and drop the class, which she actually should have done when he popped a water balloon over her head.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 26, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Right in the store!

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I was waiting for this.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Endless Mike posted:

I was looking to order pizza from a place and their sizes are medium, large and extra large and I nearly went all Kudlick.
I was at the cinema last weekend and they'd renamed their popcorn sizes to Regular, Small, and Children's.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

Eh, unless it's someone really close to you who cares.

Bleeker

Skip is basically going to grow up to be Fry from Futurama.

On the Fastrack

I laughed.

Safe Havens

Oh man, this guy is worse than Dave.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

I laughed.
Dethany (From On The Fast Track) I don't think music which has lyrics of "DANCE DANCE DANCE" is appropriate to play in a graveyard.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

Gothic dance!
Gothic dance!
Every-body gothic dance!

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Pentaro posted:

Gothic dance!
Gothic dance!
Every-body gothic dance!

BELA... LUGOSI'S... DEAD...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Pentaro posted:

Gothic dance!
Gothic dance!
Every-body gothic dance!

You so gothy, let's go dancey?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

C'mon Dance Dance Dance
Move to the music
Let your heart go free

Then Frank's men try to whack "Tony from 'Scarface'"

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Wanamingo posted:

Andertoons

This is genuinely my favorite strip.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Sam already filed an arson claim with the insurance company for those three burnt steaks.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

Dethany (From On The Fast Track) I don't think music which has lyrics of "DANCE DANCE DANCE" is appropriate to play in a graveyard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxuVJd6J2mU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Redeye Flight posted:

Bela Lugosi's still undead. Get the lyrics right, god. :colbert:

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bizarro is living up to its name. I get the joke, but :psyduck:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm not sure if that line was funnier or not before I knew that was an actual song. But thanks to this thread I once again experienced the rollercoaster of emotions that is Achewood. After Pentaro's post I went back and re-read the goth arc and was happy, then I realized there will never be more Achewood again (or if there will be, just one strip every year to give us false hope) and was sad.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Hmm what are the odds she refuses and he gives her an A because this was just another test?

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

I'm going to give myself full credit because I got the coat of arms part right and the hat part is so inconsequential I feel it doesn't even matter compared to that Like what, if the guy actually did tell Inspector Danger to remove his hat but the coat of arms was still wrong that wouldn't have been enough on its own?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

It seems like Jill just fundamentally can't stand Jane for some reason.

Non Sequitur

Yesterday's Phoebe and Her Unicorn is working now, so here are two.

Kliban's Cats

9 Chickweed Lane 3/26/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Who's "they"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

Heathcliff