Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My thought is to do whatever you want, but not wanting a smartphone because you don't want to be contactable 24/7 is insane. Just don't install Facebook, ignore calls/texts/emails when you want to ignore them, whatever. People giving you poo poo for not answering their message immediately is a people problem, not a smartphone/technology problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

evol262 posted:

The boot camp apprenticeship/internship seems to be "we pair you with an experienced dev with a company and work you to death for a few weeks. Now you're a developer!

It isn't A+

E: I missed it earlier, but what bearing is " being a child of the internet age" supposed to have on anything?

I was being sort of tongue in cheek, but I've grown up with a computer and always been my own tech support; have done graphic design, html, and some other very basic poo poo (that I've enjoyed), and shelved entirely for my current career path.

Thanks for the info.

Mrit posted:

It probably means like most people in their late teens/early twenties, they think they know a lot more about IT then they actually do.

I'll be 30 in August. I am fully aware I know very little about the field, but I do know I've thoroughly enjoyed what dabbling I've done off and on in the last 20 years and want to explore if I can make a job out of it. That's all.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 26, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I had this amazing lovely Samsung burner phone in Afghanistan that got 2 weeks of battery life. It made me yearn for the mid 2000s again.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
There's no excuse for using a dumb phone when you can get full featured smart phones for $40 on sale every day.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Today was a nightmare. Internet connection down and spotty network problems lead to finding the router had a hardware failure, and replacing it took us through a circus of poo poo because neither of the groups who had installed our new phone system bothered to record how the vlan was configured, the owners's decision to daisy-chain the PCs through the phones and save money instead of running separate lines to avoid a common failure point proved disastrous, meaning we had neither phones nor PCs working at those stations until the vlan was reconfigured, and our company's history of just adding switches, cables, and panels on top of old redundant ones sufficiently sent everyone on wild goose chases while doing this. 6 hours of downtime. Tomorrow I get to start pushing out 30+ VPN logins and clients.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bigass Moth posted:

There's no excuse for using a dumb phone when you can get full featured smart phones for $40 on sale every day.

Do you mean the "$40 with a 2 year contract" phones, or really $40, unlocked?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Knight posted:

Today was a nightmare. Internet connection down and spotty network problems lead to finding the router had a hardware failure, and replacing it took us through a circus of poo poo because neither of the groups who had installed our new phone system bothered to record how the vlan was configured, the owners's decision to daisy-chain the PCs through the phones and save money instead of running separate lines to avoid a common failure point proved disastrous, meaning we had neither phones nor PCs working at those stations until the vlan was reconfigured, and our company's history of just adding switches, cables, and panels on top of old redundant ones sufficiently sent everyone on wild goose chases while doing this. 6 hours of downtime. Tomorrow I get to start pushing out 30+ VPN logins and clients.

I have seen this at a few places I work with. When I took all my CCNA courses, Cisco spent a few chapters screaming 'BACK UP YOUR drat ROUTER/SWITCH CONFIGS!!!', is it really that common to not keep backups of configurations?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Mrit posted:

I have seen this at a few places I work with. When I took all my CCNA courses, Cisco spent a few chapters screaming 'BACK UP YOUR drat ROUTER/SWITCH CONFIGS!!!', is it really that common to not keep backups of configurations?

Odd since rancid is so easy to use and setup.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I am really happy with an osprey momentum bag. Two pockets for laptops. Plenty of space for other things while not being too big. The back part is ribbed for extra airflow. There is extra padding and a rain cover on the bottom to protect the insides. There is a zipper along the top to stow the arm straps. The osprey radial has a nicer back for ventilation but does not have the expansion zipper or as many compression straps.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

adorai posted:

I agree. I don't use any kind of protective case or screen cover on my phones, and I've never had more than a single hairline scratch on them by the time i upgrade 2+ years later. Some people just don't give a poo poo.

I've had my used HTC Sensation 4g for a year and a half now. Not a scratch, I don't know if they replaced the screen at the store I bought it from. I've had my Galaxy S4 for maybe 7 months now, scratches all over. Some screens are just fragile.

edit: For what it's worth, I've seen dumbphones for sale from Verizon for ~$10. Without a plan. They're sold by the pre-paid cards, I don't know if you can use them on regular plans or not.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

evol262 posted:

Do you mean the "$40 with a 2 year contract" phones, or really $40, unlocked?

Really $40 no strings attached. Pay as you go no contract plans are awesome, check the gadget subforum.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I just got a Timbuk2 messenger bag and I hate messenger bags but it is a very good one. TSA compliant too.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I found that over the shoulder bags tweaked my back so I too switched to a Swig from Timbuk2. Plenty of room, pockets for loose bits, durable construction. I bought a Camelbak waterproof cover I can put on it when it rains and I'm good to go all year round.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looking at the Swig lead me to the Timbuk2 Rogue which seems to hit all the right marks for me.

Phone Chat - I worked with a Cisco guy that refused to have anything other then a flip phone until our boss pressured him into getting a cheap Android. His excuse was "If there's something urgent enough for after hours support you're not sending emails"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sacred Cow posted:

This may have been asked in the past but what would be a good laptop/commuter backpack for someone commuting from the suburbs to the city via public transportation? My over the shoulder laptop bag is starting to kill my back.

Ogio Newt II Mono. It's a single strap backpack. It's nothing at all like an over-the-shoulder bag; it's a thick, padded strap that hugs the chest. It has tons of room and multiple pockets, comes in black so it blends in nicely, and goes on and off in tight spaces very easily.

Then again, it's around $100ish these days... ugh. But definitely look into single strap backpacks. When set up properly they put the load across your chest, rather than on your shoulder, and are wonderful.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone tell me what this type of fiber connection this is:

That transceiver is a 10mb unit.. the cable has 4 of those internal fiber wires of which 2 are being used. I need to get this at least 100mb, or 1000mb for the win. What do we call these connections and what unit would replace the transceiver with faster connection speeds?

[edit] I just can't tell but would something like this plug directly into those fiber cables? I can't replace the cables easily at all, they run under a parking lot.
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabit-Ether...tic+transceiver

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 26, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

redeyes posted:

Can someone tell me what this type of fiber connection this is:

That transceiver is a 10mb unit.. the cable has 4 of those internal fiber wires of which 2 are being used. I need to get this at least 100mb, or 1000mb for the win. What do we call these connections and what unit would replace the transceiver with faster connection speeds?

[edit] I just can't tell but would something like this plug directly into those fiber cables? I can't replace the cables easily at all, they run under a parking lot.
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabit-Ether...tic+transceiver

Those connectors are ST ("Stab n' Twist" is how most people remember it). But connectors have nothing to do with what the fiber can handle. Are there any markings on the cable itself?

Making the assumption that the fiber is multimode 62.5/125 and you need to go to 10/100 copper, something like this is what you want on both ends:

http://www.tripplite.com/fiber-optic-10-100baset-to-100basefx-st-media-converter-2km-1300nm~N784001ST/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

Those connectors are ST ("Stab n' Twist" is how most people remember it). But connectors have nothing to do with what the fiber can handle. Are there any markings on the cable itself?

Making the assumption that the fiber is multimode 62.5/125 and you need to go to 10/100 copper, something like this is what you want on both ends:

http://www.tripplite.com/fiber-optic-10-100baset-to-100basefx-st-media-converter-2km-1300nm~N784001ST/

There are markings on the cable and I totally spaced out taking a picture of them. I will do this and get back

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
ST: stick it 'n' twist it
SC: stick it 'n' click it
LC: Little connector :3:

The office manager who has been trying to serve as a desktop support guy took on the task of troubleshooting a home laptop of one of the executives. The thing is clearly seething with malware and he didn't know what to do next. I gave him the USB hard drive bridge I bought last week and gave him a quick lesson in pulling a drive and connecting it externally for scanning.

He was so excited about it that he kept stopping people passing by his office to show them.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
These are amazing and everyone should carry one in their kit/bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Notebook-Upgrade-Connection-ASW-USB3-25/dp/B005C983NA

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

:yotj:

Pros: Getting further from users and deeper into the tech, leaving a dysfunctional environment, nearly 50% more money, and going from DC cost of living to Austin cost of living.
Cons: Having to move from DC to Austin. At least I hear it's alright as far as Texas goes.

Relocation aside, this should be a step in the right direction. The advice in this thread really helped out, more than anything else the reminder that if you are in a well, get the gently caress out.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Pros: Getting further from users and deeper into the tech, leaving a dysfunctional environment, nearly 50% more money, and going from DC cost of living to Austin cost of living.
Cons: Having to move from DC to Austin. At least I hear it's alright as far as Texas goes.

Relocation aside, this should be a step in the right direction. The advice in this thread really helped out, more than anything else the reminder that if you are in a well, get the gently caress out.

In the injustice comic shazam and the green lantern relocate Atlantis to the middle of a desert. From the handful of times I've visited Austin, it's as if someone did the same thing to Portland.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Austin is pretty cool but, in part because of that, it's one of the fastest-growing cities in the United States (primarily younger people). I would definitely not mind living there (coming from Dallas).

You better like free-range everything, vegan tacos, live music and patio bars.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Austin is pretty cool but, in part because of that, it's one of the fastest-growing cities in the United States (primarily younger people). I would definitely not mind living there (coming from Dallas).

You better like free-range everything, vegan tacos, live music and patio bars.

And Californians

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
austin is full of loving unbearable trust fund babies

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

go3 posted:

Every city with a good job market is full of loving unbearable trust fund babies.

FTFY.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

the spyder posted:

These are amazing and everyone should carry one in their kit/bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Notebook-Upgrade-Connection-ASW-USB3-25/dp/B005C983NA

I bought one of them a while back and it has definitely come in handy many a time.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

In the injustice comic shazam and the green lantern relocate Atlantis to the middle of a desert. From the handful of times I've visited Austin, it's as if someone did the same thing to Portland.

I wouldn't call ~65% humidity a desert. Here in Colorado, we get 30% in summer, 43% in winter. I don't know, maybe Austin gets all its humidity from the ocean, despite having almost no rain or something. But I'd think it's kind of far inland for that, if I remember my geography right.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Colorado is the only place I've lived that was so dry laser printer toner wouldn't bond to the paper. I think about 250 people die each year from static shock walking across a carpet.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
It's a good city, but please don't come here, anybody

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 6, 2016

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

go3 posted:

austin is full of loving delicious as poo poo brisket

Because this is what every quote should be. Franklins BBQ mmm delicious. I have family in Austin and I would love to move there but wife and I's jobs in IT are pretty cushy right now and we're lazy

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Langolas posted:

Because this is what every quote should be. Franklins BBQ mmm delicious. I have family in Austin and I would love to move there but wife and I's jobs in IT are pretty cushy right now and we're lazy

go to Salt Lick instead

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

go3 posted:

go to Salt Lick instead

Derailing this thread further because Franklins is way better brisket than Salt lick. :snoop:

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
Hey - living in SF both of those are really really good.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

go3 posted:

go to Salt Lick instead

I'm alright yea

Real talk welcome to Texas enjoy your stay. You however made the awful decision to move when it is about to get miserably hot.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

If I ever moved to the states the weather would kill me so fast.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/mb-38_metric_e.html

In fairness literally anywhere else in North America is better than Manitoba :v:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Langolas posted:

Just buy a $400 Weber bullet smoker instead of uprooting your whole life for greasy meat you can make at home for pennies on the dollar

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Just buy a $400 Weber bullet smoker instead of uprooting your whole life for greasy meat you can make at home for pennies on the dollar

Weber smokey mountain crew represent. My rig is customized with stainless steel door from cajun bandit and nomex gaskets on all the seals. Going to invest in a blower this summer. My ribs and pork are amazing but perfecting brisket is hard

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

In fairness literally anywhere else in North America is better than Manitoba :v:

Nowhere else will supply you with as many stories of winter related woe and madness. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

myron cope posted:

My thought is to do whatever you want, but not wanting a smartphone because you don't want to be contactable 24/7 is insane. Just don't install Facebook, ignore calls/texts/emails when you want to ignore them, whatever. People giving you poo poo for not answering their message immediately is a people problem, not a smartphone/technology problem

Perhaps, but then suddenly it's the guilt-trip starts all over again :colbert:

There's this idea where tech is supposed to be about connecting people easily and more efficiently than before then there's the monkey's paw tradeoff where now you're available 24/7 even off days to show your "dedication to your career."

I, too, hate phone calls. Gdt, I just want to be a misanthrope in peace. Holden had the best ideas before his time.