Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Bogan Krkic posted:

I was really excited for this mod, but for the life of me I can't get it to work, and I've still got a row of 17 Frank's Fishstick Factories whenever I zone commercial. Are there any known mods that don't allow it to work, or a secret I'm missing?

If you've got an existing city of named buildings I don't believe it automatically renames them. I started a new city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Chewbot posted:

If you've got an existing city of named buildings I don't believe it automatically renames them. I started a new city.

I installed the mod but forgot to activate it when I started a new city, so restarted with it activated. Still no luck.

I have noticed certain assets seem to come with built-in names though, all my petrol stations are automatically called Dino Oil

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Do you guys plan stuff out way in advance? I usually get to around 10k pop then have a city that looks like garbage and is full of traffic problems and I lose heart and restart. Any tips for not screwing myself over?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Learn to love the bulldozer. Over planning is boring imo, and generally unrealistic.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Stoat posted:

Do you guys plan stuff out way in advance? I usually get to around 10k pop then have a city that looks like garbage and is full of traffic problems and I lose heart and restart. Any tips for not screwing myself over?

I personally don't but one thing i DO do now which does help a LOT is when you're planning out your roads, or grids. Before zoning lay down pedestrian paths! Also helpful is subscribing to the Zonable pedestrian paths mod (Traffic++), you can make residential areas with these which is a pleasing athettic but also functional (ONLY service vehicles can drive on these path 'roads')

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Stoat posted:

Roundabouts, multiple access points to the highway, and if you terminate a highway use a large roundabout or intersection that transitions into normal one way roads.

Traffic flow just takes experience, I have a pretty decent grasp of it but I also am basically just fiddling with the traffic non-stop. It's like a never-ending problem that for every solution you make, two other problems crop up elsewhere to go fix. You're never bored unless you game the road system's programming to make traffic not exist or game its flow to the point it looks fake.

I don't plan things out in advance, the way I play is I unlock all 25 tiles, build a bunch of small towns, then grow them organically into each other into a mega city with outlying towns. It makes traffic surprisingly easier because you start with a bunch of access points, and it doesn't make weird planned circles.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Stoat posted:

I'm pretty much like that myself with most of my cities. If I'd have to say something one way or the other it'd probably be to watch a few city planning tutorial videos on YouTube to see how other people do it and try to glean some tips from them, as pedantic and pedestrian as it might sound. Another option is to download a decently sized pre-made city from the Steam Workshop and try reverse engineering it to see what works and what doesn't.

I've also developed a habit of pre-planning city districts using roads to inform how the area is going to spring up. I lay out the basic area design and try as much as I can to anticipate things like potential traffic choke points and pre-mitiage them by turning them into overpasses or roundabouts or making sure I have a subway or rail line or bus route running through the area. Then I plop down utilities in strategically viable areas to make sure the necessities are in place ahead of the area's development, and only then once I've got all the infrastructure in place do I start zoning and letting the game engine take its course. And then I go back and prune or edit things appropriately if I've hosed something up.

Maybe not the best way to go about doing things, but it's the way that's been working for me. Though try as I might I've had my share of left-curves that I just didn't or couldn't anticipate smack me in the face and force me to go back to the drawing board or just straight up throw the district to the wolves to focus on saving the areas that are working properly.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

A word of warning, the Traffic++ mod seems to be removing the arrows on roads so you can't tell which way they're going. I've unsubscribed for now, I loved the zonable pedestrian paths but he's tried to add too much to the mod and it seems to be loving everything up now

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I lay out the basic area design and try as much as I can to anticipate things like potential traffic choke points and pre-mitiage them by turning them into overpasses or roundabouts or making sure I have a subway or rail line or bus route running through the area.

I actually just reworked my metro system into a proper system that has various tail ended lines that meet at a few center interchanges, when I did that it made my ridership go up by like 4 times. It sounds dumb but designing a proper metro network system of lines with transfer stations instead of loops (or only minimize loops into small ones that help transfer lines faster) makes a lot more people use the system. I'll probably tweak it more but it took a good hour or two just to reset the entire system, and I got tired of planning it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Bad Caller posted:

I actually just reworked my metro system into a proper system that has various tail ended lines that meet at a few center interchanges, when I did that it made my ridership go up by like 4 times. It sounds dumb but designing a proper metro network system of lines with transfer stations instead of loops (or only minimize loops into small ones that help transfer lines faster) makes a lot more people use the system. I'll probably tweak it more but it took a good hour or two just to reset the entire system, and I got tired of planning it.
When I tried to make a system like that, the metro trains just clogged up so I thought you were only mean to do closed looping stuff :(

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Bogan Krkic posted:

A word of warning, the Traffic++ mod seems to be removing the arrows on roads so you can't tell which way they're going. I've unsubscribed for now, I loved the zonable pedestrian paths but he's tried to add too much to the mod and it seems to be loving everything up now

Also service vehicles and commercial delivery vehicles vanish when zooming out (LOD error?) and are no longer clickable.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Bad Caller posted:

I don't plan things out in advance, the way I play is I unlock all 25 tiles, build a bunch of small towns, then grow them organically into each other into a mega city with outlying towns. It makes traffic surprisingly easier because you start with a bunch of access points, and it doesn't make weird planned circles.

This is how I like to go about it too, and it feels a lot more natural to me. To have all these other little towns built out where it makes sense and then have them naturally expand into each other as suburbs in a metropolos is much closer to how it tends to work in reality too. I find it helps encourage each section to have more of its own character when you have a all these individual road networks, built to meet their own purposes (sometimes awkwardly) colliding and merging at their edges in a compromise.

But yeah I think the most planning I'm likely to do at the start is think about where I'm going to lay out the highway network and maybe leave some space for stuff. I also like to make sure my designs aren't forced to focus traffic through a single throughput. You will have a lot less problems if you can keep traffic less focused on a point. An example of this is a city with a highway through it. Give the city several connections across the highway. Don't just hook both sides up to a big interchange and force everything to go through there, or a single crossing. It will get all jammed up rather quickly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Croccers posted:

When I tried to make a system like that, the metro trains just clogged up so I thought you were only mean to do closed looping stuff :(

The game sort of guilts you into forming closed loops by leaving those giant "Unfinished Route" icons hovering over stations and lines at all times until you either scrap the route entirely or complete the circuit.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Is there a "cars can turn right on red" mod out yet?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The game sort of guilts you into forming closed loops by leaving those giant "Unfinished Route" icons hovering over stations and lines at all times until you either scrap the route entirely or complete the circuit.

Pretty sure you have to complete the route or it won't work. That said, there's a difference between a loop that's a couple stations in a row and back to the start, and a loop that's a half dozen stations all throughout a given district on a circular track.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I got a weird problem with my city. Once I hit 130k people my commercial went into a cascade where they did not have enough to sell. Suddenly a huge swath of commercial buildings got abandoned, and my unemployment ratio subsequently went from 9% to over 50%!!! I now have a crime wave happening because half of my population is unemployed.

I am unsure what to do. I have several freight trains lugging things in, and I now have 5!! cargo harbors as well as 4 very busy industrial sectors. I pushed my boat budget to 150% and it is helping a little to get more goods in for the commercial sectors, however I still only have 80k available jobs with a 140k population, 93% of which is highly educated.

I would build more offices, but I have almost 0 demand for anything. I have almost no issues with my roads, all traffic flows freely.

I got the mod that auto bulldozes abandoned and burnt down building and it is the greatest thing ever!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dravs posted:

I got the mod that auto bulldozes abandoned and burnt down building and it is the greatest thing ever!

I've been playing unmodded but I'm seriously considering modding just for this.

EDIT: gently caress it, I gave in and started modding, I hate abandoned buildings. Holy poo poo it's amazing the sense of scale that the motion blur mod set to just a tiny bit of reconstruction mode gives you.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 26, 2015

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Dravs posted:

I got a weird problem with my city. Once I hit 130k people my commercial went into a cascade where they did not have enough to sell. Suddenly a huge swath of commercial buildings got abandoned, and my unemployment ratio subsequently went from 9% to over 50%!!! I now have a crime wave happening because half of my population is unemployed.

I am unsure what to do. I have several freight trains lugging things in, and I now have 5!! cargo harbors as well as 4 very busy industrial sectors. I pushed my boat budget to 150% and it is helping a little to get more goods in for the commercial sectors, however I still only have 80k available jobs with a 140k population, 93% of which is highly educated.

I would build more offices, but I have almost 0 demand for anything. I have almost no issues with my roads, all traffic flows freely.

Have you tried building some industrial to produce goods if you cant import enough? Demands isn't really a "build this thing next to fix you problem".

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

wit posted:

I hobble together anglicised irish names from http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_names_in_Ireland based on land marks, which is how everything around me is named. So if ive a forest town, its ballyrush, a cemetary on a hill is killard etc.

I do this a lot but with really stupid names like Killnafarts because I'm pretty much 6 years old

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Boreal Dreams is an awesome map.

Also, I'm really enjoying zoning low density only. gently caress skyscrapers.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

binhex posted:

From a page or two back, but whatever.
I'm going to update it with a larger main river, and possibly a few more tributaries along the canyon. I'm also thinking of redoing the highway layout to be a little nicer. Maybe a few more leveled out spots in the smaller side canyons.

Any other feedback for this map?

Yes please, have the river be near full in spots, as it's just a trickle now. I use one pump to start with and then just rely on water towers.
Highways having just a few flatter spots near them would be great, I hate how to make off ramps and closed villages I have to make the biggest, weirdest roller coaster noodle roads ever just to get it working.
Another thing, outside of the canyon I never felt the need to buy/build in the really rough terrain. It's all similar to each other too. Would be cool to have a little lakeside community space there or something. Just places for small villages to exist between the cracks of the mountain. Otherwise it's a real pain to build there.
Also, the train. my only complaint are how at one point it has sky scraper tall pillars for a gentle sloping valley (with oil near it). It should stay on the ground, that's too long and tall for a bridge.

Don't get me wrong, I love this map. It's so peaceful and makes wonderful views.

Unrelated, apparently there was a party at the gas station playground and it was standing room only.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

You double back on yourself like a real train line does, aka going back and forth. I have no jams on my lines because the trains aren't crossing over outside of one central loop for transferring lines.

It's still a closed loop, just a loop on a line. It's a bit tedious to set up as after you hit the terminal end of a line, you then have to go back all the way through. Best to start your line at one of the ends then build off it. Just realize if you want to add onto the line, you'll either make a short line that you'll be mad about or you have to do the entire line all over again to add on the stations.

It's incredibly tedious but infinitely more efficient.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 26, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Metro stations with four platforms would be great.

I guess they didn't want to make the transit system as complex as CiM (and I think they've found a nice compromise between allowing you to set up routes but not having to micromanage them too much) but it still would've been nice to have different layers so you could have lines crossing each other without the risk of jams. Maybe they'll patch that in later on...

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Dravs posted:

You don't still have a bunch of area zoned, do you? The game will just sort of consume demand as soon as it has enough for a building if there is land zoned, so if you have a bunch of area still zoned from stuff that has been demolished your demand will appear to be 0 until it's all used up.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

After playing a bit I realized where I kept going wrong when trying to expand my city. On my residential plots I would make a square then zone all sides as residential. What I should do is leave one side not zoned so I can expand off of it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Pumpy Dumper posted:

After playing a bit I realized where I kept going wrong when trying to expand my city. On my residential plots I would make a square then zone all sides as residential. What I should do is leave one side not zoned so I can expand off of it.

Or just, you know.

:killdozer:

Whenever I find I need to expand in a direction I've already zoned, I just go gently caress it and build roads straight across. The people don't seem to care. Yeah, you lose 30 population or whatever was in the building going down, but the whole point is so that you can zone more of whatever you need and it recovers pretty fast.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I'll just leave this here. You're welcome.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414202102

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Or just, you know.

:killdozer:

Whenever I find I need to expand in a direction I've already zoned, I just go gently caress it and build roads straight across. The people don't seem to care. Yeah, you lose 30 population or whatever was in the building going down, but the whole point is so that you can zone more of whatever you need and it recovers pretty fast.

Eminent domain is never an option

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Bought this game last night. Having a great time so far.

I really need to look at some guides and maybe get some mods down the line.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
ZARDOZ SPEAKS TO YOU

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013
For all the uncreative mayors out there that are unable to think of names for your cities and districts aside from Dickbutt Phase I through XIV, this is what I use

http://www.mithrilandmages.com/utilities/CityNames.php

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

BallsFalls posted:

For all the uncreative mayors out there that are unable to think of names for your cities and districts aside from Dickbutt Phase I through XIV, this is what I use

Awesome. My next town will be named "Kickapoo Tribal Center".

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BallsFalls posted:

Suggested 'Skeleton Island' for an island name. Perfect.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I got "Factoryville". That sounds about right for a dystopian industrial complex you could build.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Mine gave me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Phillips,_Florida and I don't know what to make of that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HopperUK posted:

Suggested 'Skeleton Island' for an island name. Perfect.

Speaking of which, anyone got any good many-island maps?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a mod to sort the ploppable roads section? It's a pain going through 20 blank icons to find the right roundabout/intersection/grid.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Help me with my babby city!

I didn't think to take a pic of the garbage map, but some of the residential area on the far right are starting to show as brownish as if they're not getting trash collection. And I'm getting a lot of trash balloons over there. I'm getting close to unlocking incinerators, but until then can I do anything other than building a stinky dump closer to them? My other dumps still have something like 40% capacity.

Also when you unlock the better police/fire building should you just bulldoze the old one and just use the nicer ones? I'm already finding that I need a ton of fire stations.

What's the mechanical difference between 'normal' and dense commercial/residential? I gather they're probably skyscraper type stuff, more people in the same area. More upkeep/pollution? But like is there a reason not to make my entire commercial strip scrapers when I can?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

THE GUN

THE GUN IS GOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Help me with my babby city!

I didn't think to take a pic of the garbage map, but some of the residential area on the far right are starting to show as brownish as if they're not getting trash collection. And I'm getting a lot of trash balloons over there. I'm getting close to unlocking incinerators, but until then can I do anything other than building a stinky dump closer to them? My other dumps still have something like 40% capacity.

Build another dump. It can be as far away as the current one, but you just need more garbage trucks on the streets to compensate. I only see one operating dump there right now, it may be 60% empty but it doesn't have the truck capacity you need.

Also, upgrade those four-lane roads to six-lanes. It's faster.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 26, 2015