Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Pomp posted:

Resident Evil 4's island act needed to be half as long.

I always stop playing RE4 when I get back to the island. Probably because I get tired around the castle, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cunso posted:

I think, for me at least, it's because there are two sometimes conflicting desires while playing a game: to experience new/interesting gameplay, and to see all the content a particular game provides. The problem comes when a game has so much content that it takes away from being able to experience other games.

Since this is the Wii U thread, I'll use Hyrule Warriors and Super Mario 3D World as examples. I want to play both of them, but physically I can only play one game at a time. So I pick one, in this case Hyrule Warriors. I get to experience the new or interesting gameplay the game provides, and play through the content in the game, and this is a net positive. However, there is still the opportunity cost that I don't get to play Super Mario 3D World, which is another game I want to experience. So if I want to see all of the content in Hyrule Warriors I need to keep playing it, which means I don't get to play Super Mario 3D World that much longer. I'll be having just as much fun playing either game, but the time I spend playing one game is the time I don't spend playing the other game. If it takes me months to complete Hyrule Warriors, then I still haven't even played Super Mario 3D World by the time Zelda/Animal Crossing/whatever comes out, and now I'm even further behind.

If I game needs 30+ hours to provide the gameplay/content then that's fine, but if it can be done in half that and they're just padding it with pointless garbage then it's wasting everyones time.

How many hundreds of dollars have you spent on Candy Crush?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

Yes, and this all boils down to a complicated personal formula where as length gets bigger, gameplay concepts overstay their welcome and feel more like padding than more content. Except Other M and twilight princess, this seems to be a balance Nintendo is great at hitting. Games have lots of content but don't get repetitive.

I agree with all of this. Of course I don't want a game to be longer just to be longer, or if enjoyment suffers.

Recent example: Child of Light. Fantastic game for the price. Wish it was longer.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just wanna thank Bad Miiverse Posts for enriching my life with gems like this:

A classic

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

where can i get one of these? they're so adorable

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The implication of saying a game is "too long" is that it feels padded or otherwise doesn't earn the time you spent on it. Of course if a game is 100 hours but fantastic every step of the way fewer people will criticize it as being too long.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

The implication of saying a game is "too long" is that it feels padded or otherwise doesn't earn the time you spent on it. Of course if a game is 100 hours but fantastic every step of the way fewer people will criticize it as being too long.

I'd have thought so too, but people ITT are literally saying that a game over X hours is just too drat long and no mention of quality. Because reasons like time and money and grown ups.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I like short expensive games, a lot packed into a tiny space with a ridiculous amount of polish put on it. Longer games feel exhausting, if nothing happens for 10 minutes the game is getting turned off. When people say they have 300 hours in World of Warcraft all I can do is stare with an agape mouth.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
How long a game should be is subjective. However, I think almost everyone agrees that a game that is only 5-7 hours long and cost $50+ is a ripoff. (I'm looking at you 'The Order: 1886'!) :derptiel:

Personally, a game should be as long as it needs to be. "Portal" was a relatively short game, but it was inexpensive (free with the Orange Box really), and awesome in size and scope. Portal can get away with being short because it sold for next to nothing. Even though I'd say Portal truly is worth $50 because of how so so so awesome it was, it was a quick game.

When I was playing Twilight Princess, I wanted to get to the ending. It just dragged on and on (in my opinion).

Out of all the games I've played, I think the best games are ones that are in the 20 to 40 hour range. Most modern Zelda games are that long if you go into them without any hint books, guides, and do the side quests.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tender Bender posted:

A game is generally "too long" in terms of certain levels or areas just dragging their feet and overstaying their welcome.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, for example, you can beat Captain Toad in 6 hours but it's still too long.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't remember if this site is reliable or not but they have the Splatoon pre-order for £24.95 right now:

http://www.thegamecollection.net/catalog/product/view/id/11868/s/splatoon-wii-u/?tduid=f4a37b8ed1cbe4d83e8151cad7d317b3

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cunso posted:

I think, for me at least, it's because there are two sometimes conflicting desires while playing a game: to experience new/interesting gameplay, and to see all the content a particular game provides. The problem comes when a game has so much content that it takes away from being able to experience other games.

Since this is the Wii U thread, I'll use Hyrule Warriors and Super Mario 3D World as examples. I want to play both of them, but physically I can only play one game at a time. So I pick one, in this case Hyrule Warriors. I get to experience the new or interesting gameplay the game provides, and play through the content in the game, and this is a net positive. However, there is still the opportunity cost that I don't get to play Super Mario 3D World, which is another game I want to experience. So if I want to see all of the content in Hyrule Warriors I need to keep playing it, which means I don't get to play Super Mario 3D World that much longer. I'll be having just as much fun playing either game, but the time I spend playing one game is the time I don't spend playing the other game. If it takes me months to complete Hyrule Warriors, then I still haven't even played Super Mario 3D World by the time Zelda/Animal Crossing/whatever comes out, and now I'm even further behind.

If I game needs 30+ hours to provide the gameplay/content then that's fine, but if it can be done in half that and they're just padding it with pointless garbage then it's wasting everyones time.

Look at this guy not playing with his hands and feet.

But you describe my situation almost perfectly. We have X amount of time for fun and we have X amount of potential fun veins. Try and mine them all as efficiently (fun) as possible while still getting the feeling you're getting your money's worth.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, for example, you can beat Captain Toad in 6 hours but it's still too long.

That's funny, I put more time into it than that and still wanted more.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

I can't remember if this site is reliable or not but they have the Splatoon pre-order for £24.95 right now:

http://www.thegamecollection.net/catalog/product/view/id/11868/s/splatoon-wii-u/?tduid=f4a37b8ed1cbe4d83e8151cad7d317b3

I really want to pre-order but I'm waiting to see if there are Splatoon Amiibos first.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The rumour (based on an online store listing or two) is that there's be a Splatoon/Squid Amiibo bundle, as well as separate male and female Inkling Amiibos.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think I have weird mind, because I can't really think of a game that I've put down for a month and then picked up again and forgot everything. Unless it was mindnumbing dull or convoluted, I'm usually pretty good at remembering where I was and what I did, if not necessarily what I need to do next. Like, I remember taking a break of several months when playing Xenoblade, and when I came back to it I was able to pick it up and carry on without much issue. Hell, I did that with Dual Destinies, right in the middle of a case I put the game down and didn't get around to finishing it till four months later, and I still remembered what was going on and everything. I guess if I'm, say, 50 hours into a Tales Of game and then take a year long break, then yeah, I'd be confused on what the hell I was doing, but for stuff like Hyrule Warriors, really the hardest part would be getting used to the controls again. But then I'm the kinda guy who would watch an anime one episode per month without losing track of anything so I guess I'm just weird.

Anyway, play games, have fun, be cute. Don't do 100% completion because you want more bang for your buck, that's dumb, just play till you want to move on to something else, the game will still be there when you have the time and drive to 100% it, even if you need to restart it cause you forgot stuff.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 26, 2015

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Suaimhneas posted:

That's funny, I put more time into it than that and still wanted more.

Get the Toad Amiibo!

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

The rumour (based on an online store listing or two) is that there's be a Splatoon/Squid Amiibo bundle, as well as separate male and female Inkling Amiibos.

All of that please. All of it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I feel like this is equivalent to finding a room full of dead bodies in someones house

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Help Im Alive posted:

I feel like this is equivalent to finding a room full of dead bodies in someones house

That looks really cool.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

codenameFANGIO posted:

That looks really cool.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I think I have weird mind, because I can't really think of a game that I've put down for a month and then picked up again and forgot everything.

I started playing the Snowhead Temple of Majora's Mask on Sunday, when I needed to stop in the middle of it because my girlfriend's family stopped over for dinner, then I didn't have any time to pick it up until last night, and I needed a good 10 minutes to remember what I had done so far in the Temple.

The fact that you're constantly having to rewind time and undo things you've done has been screwing with my memory as well. I think I'm starting to get it though.

codenameFANGIO posted:

That looks really cool.

You used the word "cool" incorrectly.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Fremry posted:

You used the word "cool" incorrectly.

I used it to mean that I am impressed with the display and would like to copy it. :geno:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

codenameFANGIO posted:

I used it to mean that I am impressed with the display and would like to copy it. :geno:

Uncool.

Naw, it's cool

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

This is probably a bad idea but I think putting amiibos in a fish tank would be kinda cool.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

These people who collect every amiibo are probably gonna regret their choice to collect every amiibo once Nintendo puts out a hundred pokemon amiibos alongside the launch of whatever new pokemon game they come out with since they're going to want to abuse the heck out of N3DS amiibo functionality.

who am I kidding, people who collect every amiibo probably have more money than they know what to do with

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Spectacle Rock posted:

Personally, a game should be as long as it needs to be. "Portal" was a relatively short game, but it was inexpensive (free with the Orange Box really), and awesome in size and scope. Portal can get away with being short because it sold for next to nothing.

There was a while when Portal was being sold on Steam for literally nothing, not sure if that is still the case.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It would probably just be starters + legendaries anyway.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kaubocks posted:

These people who collect every amiibo are probably gonna regret their choice to collect every amiibo once Nintendo puts out a hundred pokemon amiibos alongside the launch of whatever new pokemon game they come out with since they're going to want to abuse the heck out of N3DS amiibo functionality.

who am I kidding, people who collect every amiibo probably have more money than they know what to do with

No, they're probably just terrible with money.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

raditts posted:

Actually it's because they're mentally ill:

And now an amiibo horror story inspired on the lack of wave 4 preorders on the US. #12813
Day 335:

Another day without wave 4 preorders on the US. It's been quite a journey. I quit my job to stay at my computer 24/7 while refreshing each main retail's website every 10 seconds with my right hand while writing memories, poems and trolling websites with my left hand. My wife has left me and now she is dating my ex-good old friend Jerry. My pet turtle just passed away last week because I don't have money left for turtle food. I only have the necessary for preordering Ness, Pac-Man and maybe Lucina if she doesn't have a derpy face. It's amazing how last year I was about to become CEO on the company I used to work... but it doesn't matter anymore. Amiibo brings me happiness. Every day when I take a 5 minute break to pee I spend 4 minutes and 31 seconds admiring my amiibo collection, my favorites are Little Mac and Kirby.

Today was a bad day because I had the insane urge to open a Captain Falcon just to try it out on MK8 and play a few races online with my left hand while continue refreshing retail websites. Decided to chop my left hand to stop the urge of open it. It was for the good. I'm proud of myself. My lovely collection will always stay carefully intact. I have more than 500 pictures of each amiibo on my collection to admire them. My favorite is Kirby and Little Mac. Amiibo brings me happiness. Amiibo is love.

What is this... Now I want to open a Pikachu to see if it works on Hyrule Warriors. I know it's not compatible but.... BuT... I cAn't ContRol my hAND anyumore... TH knife,.., WherE's the KniiFeeE??? Som3bdy helppppppp meeeeee.... REEEEEEGGIEEEEEEE!!11

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=157502368&postcount=12813

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

raditts posted:

Louisgod posted:

Actually it's because they're mentally ill:

It's these.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I don't believe it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You don't believe a goon spent over $400 in amiibos to get them all?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
A manchild and his money are soon parted.

It's me, I'm the baby with all of the amiibos.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just want all the Mario and Zelda ones. And Samus and mega man and captain falcon and Kirby and star fox. That's all I swear. Oh and donkey Kong and diddy counts as Mario.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

You don't believe a goon spent over $400 in amiibos to get them all?

Nope. I plan to own all the amiibos too. Doesn't make them mentally deficient.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If you say so, Anime Curator.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess if you're past the brink of owning all those plastic toys then why not build a weird lightup refrigerator display for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm a Warhammer guy and even then I think collecting all the meebs is kinda crazy. I've got a handful of them, but I only get them of my favorite characters.

• Locked thread