Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just have sort if an inkling that before the end of the season Maseo will survive Ra's blade and become the next Ra's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Did anyone else notice captain pinkeye was sink this last episode?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

muscles like this? posted:

I seriously doubt he would be able to take one alive and if he didn't all it would prove is that he has an extra costume lying around. He'd need to catch someone on film framing him.

No... the police have to prove that the unidentified man doing the killings is the same unidentified man that calls himself the Arrow. They are not "framing" the Arrow, at least they wouldn't be in real life. "The Arrow" cannot be charged with a crime, because "The Arrow" is shorthand for "unidentified man". Oliver Queen can be charged, but you'd have to prove that he was the specific unidentified man wearing a mask and killing people, not just that he occasionally does wear a mask.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
My favorite moment was when Ollie and Ray had that confrontation in Ray's office, and right when Ollie leaves, Ray has this really great "phew, that's over, I hope that sounded badass" look on his face.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Sir Potato posted:

Pretty great episode. Brandon Routh was killing it as was the guy who played Deadshot. Still hoping he didn't die, as well, though.

Well the explosion was pretty lame - it just blew out some windows, the roof and the rest of the walls were fine.

I really liked that episode, a return to form. Still laughing at Ollie walking off and leaving Roy though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Deadpool posted:

Flying in a tech suit with no actual superpowers is a bit too much for you but your original point was how you were mad the guy wasn't shrinking? I don't understand this line of thinking. A tech suit is much more in line with this show than shrinking powers. As I said shrinking is mostly a joke power. It's lame and better suited to comedy and light hearted superheroic stuff. Which is why it would feel completely out of place on this show. That's why Ant-Man is a comedy comic book and why the movie is going to be the most comedic of Marvel's movies. No matter how many serious Atom comics have been written over the years the general public will always see that power as a wacky goofy power.

Oh trust me, I know the Atom is incredibly stupid; one of my comic memories in the 70s was a story where Batman died and the Atom shrunk down and ran around inside of Batman's brain to stimulate the neurons and have Batman solve his own murder (I honestly forget how the story went after that point because holy hell it was loving idiotic). I guess at least that issue inspired Weekend at Bernie's.

I just think that the creators of this show set up Arrow to be a show about people doing extraordinary things mostly through training, with the only people with powers got them through the use of 'special' drugs, but even those seem to have their limits. The showrunners seemed to put in a Solomon Grundy origin but then ignored it because SG would probably even be too much for the Arrow's tv universe. I can buy the CSI-level bullshit computer 1337 hacking stuff because at this point it's on par with any kind of action tv detective show, and Canary using sonic grenades was a neat solution for the comic character's screams in this TV version of the comic. When the Atom was being hinted at, I thought it was weird that they specifically chose a character that would fit better in the Flash's show because as stupid as he is, the Atom fits more in Central City where people do poo poo like burst into flames and fly. So I just found it especially weird when they decided to make the Atom into DC's Iron Man for the show, doubly so because flying mech suits really seem out of place in Starling City. It just kind feels like more of a deus ex machina than we normally get in this show and I wish left flying power suits 600 miles away so some fast dude could fight him or something.

I preferred it when Arrow was more of a Batman show than an Iron Man show, and I think adding the Atom no matter what his power takes away from the feeling of what was set up for us.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

pentyne posted:

If they had to write off their own Suicide Squad characters because the movie is coming out, then The Flash series is going to be hosed hard once the movie starts development. It's such a dick move that they declared the actor playing a comic book hero years in advance before the movie is even in pre-planning that it shows that really don't give a gently caress about the CW shows and will just do whatever they want in their desperate attempt to match the MCU.

The Suicide Squad was always going to be a 1-2 episodes/season sort of thing - taking that from Arrow doesn't majorly impact the show. I think there's going to be a very different balance calculation in play when it comes to whether or not they can take Captain Cold or whoever out of The Flash for two seasons. All they've shown with this move is that they're willing to minorly hinder a TV show to protect the exclusivity of the CORE CONCEPT of a movie. All of those forced changes (Ted Kord => Ray Palmer, Nyssa instead of Talia, no more Suicide Squad eps) have been relatively minor impacts. There's a big leap from that to "no more Rogues Gallery".

Phenotype posted:

Actually, I really didn't like Palmer this episode, and thought "insufferable douchebag" was a pretty good call. An unidentified guy in a hood kills some people, and he KNOWS Arrow is guilty, with a smarmy, unshakeable confidence. He knows Felicity has been working with him for years, but nope, he knows way better than her because he saw the Arrow at a crime scene with dead bodies, which is a pretty typical night for Arrow regardless. Even when Oliver goes to him peacefully and tries to explain, Palmer goes into smug, know-it-all superdouche mode, because Palmer's just so convinced that he's right based on nothing but supposition. It pissed me off a bit because no one stopped to think "how do we know it was the Arrow? Well, we don't know who he really is, so if we get a report about a guy who we don't know, it MUST be the Arrow!" :downs:

I'm really glad he came off his high horse so easily after getting his rear end kicked, because for a while there I was really thinking that they were building to an Arrow vs Atom season finale.

I think the point is that because Brandon Routh is a good actor doing a good job with the role, you're able to watch Palmer be an insufferable douchebag this episode without really hating him or hating the character.

Phenotype posted:

No... the police have to prove that the unidentified man doing the killings is the same unidentified man that calls himself the Arrow. They are not "framing" the Arrow, at least they wouldn't be in real life. "The Arrow" cannot be charged with a crime, because "The Arrow" is shorthand for "unidentified man". Oliver Queen can be charged, but you'd have to prove that he was the specific unidentified man wearing a mask and killing people, not just that he occasionally does wear a mask.

No, they just have to convince a jury - the evidence can be relatively circumstantial so long as there's a lot of it and Oliver doesn't have an alibi and they manage to relatively stack the jury with Queen-haters (remember Oliver's mom was linked to terrorists) or folks who're scared of the Arrow. Keep him in chains and convince 12 soccer moms he's lost his mind and would shoot arrow their kid for jaywalking. If they nab the whole crew and say Team Arrow consists of Oliver Queen, his ex-girlfriend, his secretary, and his sister's boyfriend, then solid evidence against one of them is going to make the rest of them look bad. Catch Arsenal red-handed and convict him, and you can claim Oliver Queen is a known associate of Roy Harper just as Arrow is a known associate of Arsenal. Plus they have the ultimate circumstantial evidence - Oliver gets arrested and the killing stops. Even if Diggle evades charges, dresses up and shoots up a few arms dealers again, is he going to drop a couple bodies to prove the point?

Now I don't think any of that's gonna happen, but in a real justice system they could convict him in front of a scared enough jury.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

But all the evidence is circumstantial, and there is never going to be a way to prove anything beyond "a guy wearing the clothes that Oliver Queen likes to wear killed some people." I'm not saying it couldn't be done, especially on TV, but I think most prosecutors IRL would be worried about going to trial based on testimony that says a man in similar clothing killed someone. And I think that, even in the show, people like the cops and the people of the Glades that Arrow has helped shouldn't be so quick to conclude that a masked killer MUST be the same as the masked guy who saves people.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Honestly I don't care about the Atom, I just find it baffling that they are taking a comic character that is known for shrinking and making him into iron man. I dunno, when I see known characters from comics, I guess I just expect them to be, you know, the characters from the comics. I wouldn't even mention this if they just decided that they were going to introduce a new character who was a rich dude with a powersuit into the show.

Edit: I guess I'll just shut up about it now as no one gives a gently caress, which is strange considering how comic/tv fans usually go into convulsions over minutia, not even mentioning just changing a character completely. Weird.

Well one of the reasons for the lack of outrage is the fact that there was an actual reason for the change (i.e. DC execs saying that Blue Beetle was off limits for whatever reason so maybe use Ray Palmer instead) so all the ire is directed at that instead. Frankly, there's a load of characters that could fit Ted Kord's MO, but a lot of them are black so that's a no go since they already picked out Brandon Routh.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Phenotype posted:

And I think that, even in the show, people like the cops and the people of the Glades that Arrow has helped shouldn't be so quick to conclude that a masked killer MUST be the same as the masked guy who saves people.

The obvious counterpoint being that Arrow has absolutely killed people before. Sure, it may be something of a logical leap to assume that a guy who stopped killing criminals a couple years ago all of a sudden kills 6-ish dudes and the mayor, but it's not impossible to believe.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They should have cast Terrence Howard, he's not doing anything.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

BrianWilly posted:

Maseo's the one who's coming across more and more like a brain-dead cipher as time goes on. I mean, it's not as if he was ever exactly a compelling character in the first place, but now he's just some annoying weirdo who spouts expository gibberish about how great Ra's Al Ghul is and how everyone should want to polish his knob over and over again.

Well in all fairness he did directly go against Ra's when he saved Oliver. In the process he killed a bunch of other League members in order to help ensure Oliver's escape. So it's not like he's a 100% Ra's toadie.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

gently caress that cliffhanger. Hoping for a fake-out and that was somebody shooting at Maseo. Or he misses or something.

Glad Oliver and Ray and Felicity all made up. Was a bit worried that could drag on. Forgot what show I was watching I guess. Also I like how easily Oliver kicked his rear end. Guess the suit needs a little more work. And so does Ray's technique.

Hope Deadshot made it. He survived ridiculous stuff before. Although him going out looking at that photo suggests he didn't. Or maybe he faked his own death to get away from Cupid. :v:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Mr Beens posted:

Well the explosion was pretty lame - it just blew out some windows, the roof and the rest of the walls were fine.

I really liked that episode, a return to form. Still laughing at Ollie walking off and leaving Roy though.

My wife laughed about Roy being abandoned right away. Poor Roy. :smith:

If the show is basically writing off Suicide Squad characters for the movie, that's pretty lame, because I have the feeling I'm going to like the TV-version of the characters a lot better.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Catching up with the thread now, and I have to say it is criminal that

overtone posted:

Wouldn't they be called flies instead of shrinks on Arrow?

this didn't get any acknowledgement. It took me a while, but it gave me a good chuckle.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

McDragon posted:

Hope Deadshot made it. He survived ridiculous stuff before. Although him going out looking at that photo suggests he didn't. Or maybe he faked his own death to get away from Cupid. :v:

That was also my thought. Some people would do anything to get away from crazy.

He's a pretty big part of the DC universe so I don't see them killing him off. But he probably won't re-appear for a long time.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
If they really wanted to bury the Arrow, couldn't they just try him for one of the earlier murders? No need to even worry about the recent ones. At the time he was the only archery-based murderer in town (not counting Malcom, but he isn't known to be an assassin.) That would even avoid dragging Laurel into it.

PS: Due to "Comic books!" Ollie will avoid jailtime, or somehow only be in jail over the season break. My money is on getting elected mayor and pardoning himself.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Will even if they prove Ollie is the arrow they don't really have any evidence he was the arrow back when the arrow was murdering folks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

OB_Juan posted:

If they really wanted to bury the Arrow, couldn't they just try him for one of the earlier murders? No need to even worry about the recent ones. At the time he was the only archery-based murderer in town (not counting Malcom, but he isn't known to be an assassin.) That would even avoid dragging Laurel into it.

PS: Due to "Comic books!" Ollie will avoid jailtime, or somehow only be in jail over the season break. My money is on getting elected mayor and pardoning himself.

That would be the best twist. They decide to go after Oliver for all his earlier murders.

He gets life without parole.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don't look at this if you don't want a major spoiler. If you do want one, go ahead.

BrianWilly posted:

As amazing as these food analogies are...

Here are some rather spoilery candid set photos spoiling not only the apparent finale of this show but also that other show. Fun times inbound.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That would be the best twist. They decide to go after Oliver for all his earlier murders.

He gets life without parole.

Imprisoned on an island :)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Don't look at this if you don't want a major spoiler. If you do want one, go ahead.

i would honestly say this was bound to happen. How long he stays like that, however is another story

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It should go without saying but let's say it anyway, if you want to discuss those pictures it better be in spoiler tags.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
Don't look at those images if you're not sure, because they are very VERY spoilery. Holy crap.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
Yeah, gonna nth this. Holy crap.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I how that is a huge spoiler , I don't even know what that means. Explain it to me as if I was a child, but also spoiler tags.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

I how that is a huge spoiler , I don't even know what that means. Explain it to me as if I was a child, but also spoiler tags.

Oliver is in a league of shadows uniform and has a sword now.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
Picture spoilers: That is a League of Assassins outfit that Ollie is wearing.

f;b

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
He's also wearing something around his neck.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It could have just been laundry day.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

overtone posted:

He's also wearing something around his neck.

What, I couldn't tell.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Hollismason posted:

It could have just been laundry day.

As if he wouldn't just go shirtless...

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Holy poo poo could it be the first glimpse at the TV JLA???? :flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
We can only hope.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
The best part from this week's episode was Lawton, with Cupid, slinking into frame, zipping up his outfit, all "Diggle, man, you've gotta get through this for your kid, man, love's the only way" because to me, the clear implication is that Deadshot got himself a quick taste of the crazypussy over in the supply closet and it made his heart grow three sizes that day

greatn posted:

What, I couldn't tell.

Here's a hint: you saw it a few times in S1-2, but now you see it every week.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nah, just say what it is. Also someone is probably gonna get mad at you laying hints without spoilers, so you probably shouldn't.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Unless they're using Ray Palmer's amazing "figure it all out in about 4.5 seconds" technology, my comment is completely inscrutable without seeing the pic. Anyway, the object in question appears to be the arrowhead seen in the title and, if I recall correctly, is somehow related to Shado/her dad from way back in S1-2.

vvv What do you lose by now knowing that an object which we already know to exist is confirmed to exist in an otherwise undescribed image? But sure, I'll tag it if that information somehow ruins the experience for others

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 26, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

tin can made man posted:

Unless they're using Ray Palmer's amazing "figure it all out in about 4.5 seconds" technology, my comment is completely inscrutable without seeing the pic. Anyway, the object in question appears to be the arrowhead seen in the title and, if I recall correctly, is somehow related to Shado/her dad from way back in S1-2.

What do you gain from not putting this in spoiler tags?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's too extreme for your rules, old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
So, if the person to survive Ra's al Ghul's blade becomes the next Ra's al Ghul, couldn't Ollie accept, pick up a sword, give whoever's handy a quick stab in the shoulder, drop the sword, and be out?

• Locked thread