Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Truly, the most inclusive of the dramatic arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

"It's my god given right to be a jackass to everyone around me, stupid liberal faggots :smug:"

"Why is everyone being mean to me??? I'm only exercising my rights :qq:"

"why do they keep calling me names?? :confused: "

"it must be because they lack my profound understanding of the workings of culture. i'm just so much more enlightened and self-aware than them :smugdog: :poolgirl: "

It's not that we necessarily disagree with the concept of cultural appropriation. It's that we think you're a moron who has no real understanding of it and who has never bothered to really engage critically with the issue and has just latched onto it as a way to provide yourself with a smug sense of superiority.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Insect Court posted:

It's not that we necessarily disagree with the concept of cultural appropriation. It's that we think you're a moron who has no real understanding of it and who has never bothered to really engage critically with the issue and has just latched onto it as a way to provide yourself with a smug sense of superiority.

lol

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I'm deeply moved. We could all learn a thing or two from The Insect Court. Look how much he genuinely cares.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm deeply moved. We could all learn a thing or two from The Insect Court. Look how much he genuinely cares.

goldmine

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
This just in from UKMT:

Boing fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 26, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Boing posted:

This just in from UKMT:

ahahaha lol

dissolve the nus and replace it with something useful (e.g. a body advocating for better cheaper education)

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

blackguy32 posted:

One would think that if information was so free flowing, that some of these people would research whatever the hell they were getting into instead of just going by dumb stereotypes.

At a certain point information stopped being a limiting factor for most people, and now the limiting factor is effort.

For example, although there is a wealth of information available to me in this thread, I don't have the effort necessary to read past page 10 and as a result this post is only so far above a shitpost.

blowfish posted:

ahahaha lol

dissolve the nus and replace it with something useful (e.g. a body advocating for better cheaper education)

Student unions in the UK have turned into "that building that is a social lounge by day and club by night on campus" really.
They stopped advocating for student rights long ago.

Bulgogi Hoagie fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 26, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

What is this object? What is it for, and what does it signify?

Suppose I ask you the same question about this?

What would your answer be?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

icantfindaname posted:

The common term for people with no regard for others is 'jackass', so surely you understand why nobody cares when you scream about reverse racism or being oppressed yourself, right? Like if hurt feelings is not a consideration that should be made, how could you argue against a law renaming the Redskins because of your own hurt feelings?

I'd argue that renaming a sports team has no place in Law and is patently unconstitutional.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

I'd argue that renaming a sports team has no place in Law and is patently unconstitutional.

The NFL is a trust and is partially subject to congress.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Does the act of cultural appropriation imbue otherwise benign objects or symbols with greater significance?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

unlimited shrimp posted:

Does the act of cultural appropriation imbue otherwise benign objects or symbols with greater significance?

I guess, but it's more accurate to say that it takes a benign object and burdens it with an insulting meaning.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Porkface posted:

The NFL is a trust and is partially subject to congress.

Doesn't matter. The teams themselves are private property.

Or, rather, privately owned corporate entities.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Apache helicopters are cultural appropriation :fsmug:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

blowfish posted:

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Apache helicopters are cultural appropriation :fsmug:

It's my understanding that it's not uncommon to use native hagiography in military training/indoctrination as well.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

blowfish posted:

What about the Cherokee code language used during WW1 and the Navajo during WW2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_talker

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

It's my understanding that it's not uncommon to use native hagiography in military training/indoctrination as well.

Not sure where you'd get that idea.

For context this is the patch of an Air National Guard unit in the 1950s.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

I guess, but it's more accurate to say that it takes a benign object and burdens it with an insulting meaning.

Kinda like how certain religions have notoriously violated a certain Commandment given to humans by God ("Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments").

Which makes the creation and worship of statues of, say, Jesus and Mary, questionable at best (although the worship of Jesus as an incarnation of God, and Mary as the Mother of God, is mostly a Catholic thing). And while it's a touchy subject, a certain prophet was known for discarding a shitload of idols, and now his peeps only worship a rock that came from Jannah (although officially, that isn't what they do, even if that is what they actually do).

I do, however, think it is OK for people to worship pictures of Barack Obama. In fact, I think they should make a law that requires framed pictures to be placed on walls, and entrances to buildings (to include homes), and put little cameras in them that are linked to the government's "secret" servers, and require everyone to salute the pictures. Anyone who doesn't would be taken to a re-education camp. With any luck, all of the conservatives will either be reprogrammed or disappeared within a couple of years. There are no democrats that don't support Barack Obama unconditionally, and with great loyalty.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 26, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

Boy Scouts does this too. I was an Eagle Scout and that kind of idolization of a stereotypical Plains-y culture was baked pretty deep into the ethos

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 27, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

blowfish posted:

If anything American Indians should be proud that we honor their fierce proud braves with our badass helicopters. The name "Apache" lives on and inspires fear in bad guys.

Sort of an aside - Does anyone else notice how the imagery of a ninja replaced the imagery of an Indian brave as being stealthy and skillful?

A while ago I overheard an older gentleman saying someone had snuck up on him "like an Indian."

I remember as a kid that Indians' leather moccasins were meant to make them able to be silent and stealthy.

But, at some point, ninjas seemed to replace Indians in the popular imagination.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 27, 2015

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe
One (possible) example of Japanese CA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOmOzWdHzHU. The music to Fire Temple in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time uses a muslim chant. In the re-release, it was taken out.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Qwazes posted:

One (possible) example of Japanese CA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOmOzWdHzHU. The music to Fire Temple in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time uses a muslim chant. In the re-release, it was taken out.

It's on an album of voice samples called Voice Spectral 1. Track 76 specifically. Bongo Bongo's theme uses a sample from track 81.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Jakcson posted:

Kinda like how certain religions have notoriously violated a certain Commandment given to humans by God ("Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments").

Which makes the creation and worship of statues of, say, Jesus and Mary, questionable at best (although the worship of Jesus as an incarnation of God, and Mary as the Mother of God, is mostly a Catholic thing). And while it's a touchy subject, a certain prophet was known for discarding a shitload of idols, and now his peeps only worship a rock that came from Jannah (although officially, that isn't what they do, even if that is what they actually do).

Catholics don't worship Mary or statues. This is what I was talking about earlier when I said people are ignorant of Catholic beliefs.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Qwazes posted:

If someone has a problem with cultural appropriation as it's applied by the internet outrage machine, they're going to have a problem with anything the nation of Japan has done for the past 1500 years or so. Taking foreign ideas, stripping them of their context, and appropriating them for Japanese usage is something Japanese view as a key component of their history and culture.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Armyman25 posted:

Catholics don't worship Mary or statues. This is what I was talking about earlier when I said people are ignorant of Catholic beliefs.

I suspect Martin Luther might disagree with you.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

So a genocidal anti-semite from 500 years ago is the ultimate authority on Catholic doctrine?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 27, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Okay, so a genocidal anti-semite from 500 years ago is the ultimate authority on Catholic doctrine?

Part of the point of the Protestant Reformation was that quite a lot of people did and do view the Catholic fondness for iconography and the accumulation of wealth, and the veneration of the saints to be somewhat too close to idolatry, or at least decidedly unfounded in the core Christian tenets.

So there may be some room for debate?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Part of the point of the Protestant Reformation was that quite a lot of people did and do view the Catholic fondness for iconography and the accumulation of wealth, and the veneration of the saints to be somewhat too close to idolatry, or at least decidedly unfounded in the core Christian tenets.

So there may be some room for debate?

Okay? Some people think one thing, some people think another? Thanks for the hard hitting insight

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

It's not a new issue. One of the fun things when dealing with sola scriptora sects is watching them
Arrive at issues that the Church has dealt with a millennia ago.

With the statues it's like having a picture of a loved one. It reminds you of them but obviously is not actually them. Mary and the saints are venerated and asked to put in a good word with God on your behalf. It might be splitting hairs, but hey, religion.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
It's still okay to appropriate Catholic imagery and beliefs because Catholicism holds hegemony over America, right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Armyman25 posted:

It's not a new issue. One of the fun things when dealing with sola scriptora sects is watching them
Arrive at issues that the Church has dealt with a millennia ago.

With the statues it's like having a picture of a loved one. It reminds you of them but obviously is not actually them. Mary and the saints are venerated and asked to put in a good word with God on your behalf. It might be splitting hairs, but hey, religion.

It's not really the most convincing defence, in fairness, so I can see why people might not buy it.

"No dear I wasn't jacking off to this picture of your sister, I was thinking about you at the time, the picture is just there to remind me of you."

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Catholicism is a good example of appropriation. They took and changed the meaning of all manner od cultural symbols.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

It's not really the most convincing defence, in fairness, so I can see why people might not buy it.

"No dear I wasn't jacking off to this picture of your sister, I was thinking about you at the time, the picture is just there to remind me of you."

Catholics have statues of Jesus as well and those were also included in the accusations of idolatry. In your analogy it would be like your being pissed at you jacking off to a picture of her.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My impression was that the objection stems from that bit where god tells you not to make any images of anything, more or less, and don't bow to them, so I can understand the rationale. He's very fussy.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What did the Catholic Church do to aggravate your autism to such a degree, exactly? Have you actually been a Wahabbist cleric in disguise this whole time?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Jakcson posted:

'Das Kapital', volumes 1, 2, and 3, by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels.

It's not cool. Please stop appropriating communist culture unless you're born in Eastern Europe or China.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gantolandon posted:

It's not cool. Please stop appropriating communist culture unless you're born in Eastern Europe or China.

communist culture is inside your heart, frtiend

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Gantolandon posted:

Does that mean that you can't embrace surrealist culture unless you were born in France?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

communist culture is inside your heart, frtiend

This is not a laughing matter. Eastern Europe is the place where the communist ideology has been first implemented, grew and (eventually) died. Now Western kids from stable liberal democracies, who never had problems with access to toilet paper, take chosen elements of communism and repurpose them to fit their needs. If this trend continues, everyone will think that this complicated and controversial ideology was about not wearing Japanese kimonos by Caucasians. I feel deeply offended by the people from the West trying to appropriate such an important element of Eastern European history.

• Locked thread