Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Hahah I was just looking for it. I knew I saw it on his show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chances are that if Hillary wants power (yes she does is this even under debate) then she'll make sure to get Democrats elected unless she just wants to look good signing the occasional EO to make up for an intransigent GOP legislature. She's put up with two decades of their bullshit so it isn't like she's going to flinch once she's sitting at ol' Resolute.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yup. I met a ton of Samoans, even though its an island with a population of ~200k. There was some crazy statistic about Guam having the highest percentage of people who serve(d) in the states or territories.

Not so crazy when you realize the military is the second largest economic sector on the island of Guam.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Nintendo Kid posted:

Not so crazy when you realize the military is the second largest economic sector on the island of Guam.

2nd to what? I thought it was #1.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tourism, I figured. Japanese who don't want to go all the way to Hawaii go there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yeah, tourism. It only recently became number 1 though. Same sort of mostly east Asian tourism as Hawaii gets.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Oracle posted:

Economically, no, she's hard core Third Way Dem. She was a Goldwater Girl in college for chrissake, and came from a Republican family (granted, this was WASPy NE Republican right around the time of the Dixiecrat switch, so that's not quite the damning statement it'd be if it were made today) but she'll do more for women's rights both domestically and abroad than anyone up until her and that's a huge positive mark in my book. She has her moments with things like health care (remember the first attempt in Clinton's first term was designated her baby, which was part of why Republicans were so eager to strangle it in the crib). Foreign policy wise I'm not expecting anything to leave me breathless with wonder, but domestically you may find yourself pleasantly surprised on occasion.
For all but the white women of the 0.1% the most pressing women's issues are tied up in alleviating the economic issues besieging the poor and middle class. The "Lean In" style of women's rights you say Hilary will focus on is exactly the kind of stuff that "Solidarity is for white women" is a push back against.

I'm sure Hilary will do wonders at making sure a woman CEOs get the same insane handouts for bankrupting their companies, impoverishing towns, and collapsing the global economy that men do, but I don't believe for a second she'll do anything to help the single mom working two jobs in the barrio.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Quidam Viator posted:

Hey, I come in here to stir up exactly this kind of poo poo, because I think it reveals exactly how dead-ended earnest progressivism or leftism is today. Even that horrifying alt-history Nazi poo poo isn't crazy enough thinking to create an America in 2015 that would orient itself toward solidarity and the common good. I don't think people fully appreciate how checkmated America is into its current pattern, and how little time we have left to fix things while it's "easy" like it is now. You know, before all the soil is depleted in a few decades, California's in a superdrought, Florida's underwater, and our infrastructure and entitlement programs detonate because nobody has moved on anything significant. Plus pay is stagnant and automation isn't slowing down.

These aren't conspiracy-theory ideas. The poo poo's happening.

Uh what?

I thought you're an accelerationist who wants to work on the Cruz campaign?

Now you're telling us that soon poo poo will get so bad, it will be impossible to fix? :confused: Why the gently caress would you want to accelerate that?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

VitalSigns posted:

Uh what?

Now you're telling us that soon poo poo will get so bad, it will be impossible to fix? :confused: Why the gently caress would you want to accelerate that?

I believe his MO is to get really worked up about our inevitable apocalyptic collapse and then ping-ponging between the country finally seeing the evil Republicans fully unmasked, laughing as the world burns or spiraling into hopeless depression.

I guess I'm saying maybe take a break from politics for awhile, Quidam Viator?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Joementum posted:

Boehner, McCarthy, Pelosi, and Bernie read mean tweets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FunSMzOyKT8

tldr

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
A truly delicious article in the WaPo today about the rise of super-PACs and mega-donors making the merely wealthy feel "disenfranchised" and "irrelevant."

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Quidam Viator posted:

Good call. I'm moving in a week, and I'm going to change from being registered as Independent to Republican. I can't fuckin wait. I'll post pictures of the North Florida flyers and stuff I get. It'll be a hoot.

Too bad you're moving. If you started a drinking liberally chapter I would show up to all the meetings.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

VitalSigns posted:

Uh what?

Look, I know you have contempt for my position and my ideas, but I don't see how you can't make the connection between what I am saying and what I am doing. I believe that your gradualism isn't a noble fight, but a well-intentioned enabling of the very richest political donors, who benefit either from holding the ENTIRE US government, or holding everything except the presidency.

Yes, scientific, non-tinfoil-hat sources back every single one of the "really bad poo poo" structural collapses that will be inevitable within a few decades. Would you like a list of sources to talk about soil depletion, or the superdrought, etc? I am opposed to what I call "earnest progressivism", or the belief that you and every other fellow liberal or progressive has that if we just... buckle down, and phonebank, and support Hillary, and do what we're doing, that we will create sufficient change quickly enough to stave off these disasters, which require MASSIVE changes, not only here, but internationally.

What you have now is stasis. It's not the megadonors' best-case-scenario, but it serves them. They continue to proceed, raking in ridiculous amounts of cash. They can totally handle Hillary winning; their bet is by purchasing every race from the Senate down to dogcatcher, where they have their electoral advantage, they can really cut the legs out from under "earnest progressivism", and they have done it, unquestionably. They're even willing to fight sham wars over poo poo that doesn't really hurt their bottom line, like gay marriage or cannabis, just as long as solar power bans are being enacted, their 38 Republican governors are banning people from living off the grid or receiving solar subsidies, and entitlements, health care, and all these poor-enabling public transport systems get killed. And they're winning.

Now, unquestionably, their optimum would be to own everything. No matter who the GOP president, they can now use ALEC and push pretty much any god drat thing they want; that's desirable. But if Hillary wins in 2016, and the Senate and House are GOP, she'll NEVER be able to do anything significant enough to cut into the only thing that matters to them: the freedom to extract, exploit, and subjugate without oversight or penalty.

And they've hand-crafted a political program, from the astroturf roots on up, that makes "earnest progressivism" not a thorn in their side, but their single greatest benefit and ally. They NEED you to keep believing in trying to institute good, wholesome policy that helps people! You HAVE to fight them tooth and nail, call them crazy, get upset, and win the presidency. How the hell do you perpetuate a top-to-bottom persecution complex if you don't have a plausible, nebulous villain to get your base all worked up about? They need you to be earnest and progressive so they can vilify you, and use that to keep Fox News blaring the hatred for another eight years. You are their single greatest enabler. Nobody can keep them up and grandstanding more than having an "other half" of the nation sincerely opposing them, so they can take every thing you say, twist it against you, and come out looking like the victim, making their base ever more terrified, radicalized, and angry.

They are not stupid. They know, first and foremost, that you lack sufficient anger, motivation, and long-term awareness to realize that environmental, social, and economic cataclysm are not a "century away" thing, but a "few decades away" thing, and organize mass protest, strikes, sit ins, and sabotage, as you would if you understood exactly how little time left to be comfortable. They also know that there's a close-approaching end to the "easy times". Their goal is to keep you being an "earnest progressive", and not the radicalized, bomb-throwing, Koch-assassinating, GOP-terrorizing force that you MUST be if you are to enact sufficient change fast enough to forestall major emergencies like the collapse of American infrastructure, worker rights and welfare, and climate change.

Soon poo poo WILL get bad enough that it will be impossible to fix. I wish for any proposal that accelerates the stimulation of the left wing of this country into doing something sufficiently radical to break the gridlock that serves the megadonors, their purchased politicians, and you know, everyone except the other 99% of the country and liberals. Every year of business as usual is accompanied by the sucking sound of the elite siphoning out the wealth from every long-term store of value that made this a great country. They only need to stall you for 8, maybe 16 years, and then there won't be much left to save.

Apparently, the GOP doing what they're doing just isn't bad enough to stimulate anyone out of their lassitude and torpor. How bad does it have to get until you're finally angry enough to get out behind the keyboard and start getting aggressive and angry, and start hitting them where it hurts, like your ancestors who won us weekends, and the 40-hour work week, and the minimum wage, and the Voting Rights Act?

If we go the route of "earnest progressivism" it takes 20-30 years, but we achieve your blessed victory too late. By then, the entire nation and the world are hosed. I believe something much more drastic must happen, something unconventional, something they're not expecting, if we ever expect to enact policies like: single-payer health care, universal basic income, a complete routing of the American financial giants, choking the extraction industry until they are not destroying the ecosystem, and as soon as possible, the refocusing of world money toward the creation of scarcity-ending, renewable technology. THESE are the things that would hurt the Kochs, and you have no viable route to achieve major progress on any of them within the next 16 years. I loving dare you to tell me how you're going to make these things happen, these things necessary for the survival of a large fraction of the human race.

You don't have a plan except to phonebank for Hillary and hope you can take back little bits of the rest of the legislature. My plan is to motivate enough people to call the GOP on their game, give them the reins, and become the loudest voice in the democracy; the one who promises in advance that GOP policies are the source of our misery, and that every plan they have means doom, death, and destruction, and that we are here, waiting until you realize the catastrophe, the extinction event you're headed toward, and are ready to radicalize.

There. Now you can legitimately hate me for holding an opinion that I've expressed to the best of my ability, instead of just thinking it's some facile thing.

Wolfsheim posted:

I believe his MO is to get really worked up about our inevitable apocalyptic collapse and then ping-ponging between the country finally seeing the evil Republicans fully unmasked, laughing as the world burns or spiraling into hopeless depression.

I guess I'm saying maybe take a break from politics for awhile, Quidam Viator?

I think I've explained my modus operandi above. Your inevitable apocalyptic collapse is a real thing, backed by thousands of pages of good research. I do believe that the messaging war the GOP are winning with 40% of the population must be vigorously attacked, dismantled and destroyed, and I believe that you don't have the fire to do it. I believe only they can wreck their agenda and really ruin their reputation if they don't have a Democratic stooge to point fingers at and blame for their own terrible governance.

But you know what? I tend to agree with you. My views are terribly unpopular here, and despite the fact that I try to articulate the situation in a manner that I believe is well within not just the rules, but the spirit of DnD, with no trolling, or shitposting, and in long form with content, I know that I'm making a pariah of myself. So, yes, Wolfsheim, I will take a break from politics as you suggest. I thought that was more of a FYAD thing, to suggest that a person GTFO and go back to GBS, but in this case, I think you're right.

Thanks to everyone who tolerated me, and was willing to answer my questions and not just write me off as a crazy. I've loved DnD for years and years, through the Ron Paul years and the Obamatar years, and the 2012 shitfest... it's been great. I'll stop writing now.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

No, we just think you're an idiot if you think that accelerationism is a viable route to fixing any of those problems (instead of exacerbating them).

Which you are. An idiot, I mean.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/matt-gregory-mclaughlin-kill-all-gays-california

The lawyer behind the "Kill All Gays" bill is from Orange County? Oh my, what a surprise.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gravel Gravy posted:

bargain bin of Wal-mart

You joke

For ~2 years I lived in Arkansas, about 2 miles from Walmart store #1. DD poo poo was everywhere, they had a cardboart cutout of one of these assholes wearing a lab coat outside of the vision center

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sir Tonk posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/matt-gregory-mclaughlin-kill-all-gays-california

The lawyer behind the "Kill All Gays" bill is from Orange County? Oh my, what a surprise.

Glass the inland desert.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Man, the minute MIGF moves out QV moves in. I swear it's like the thread just won't work if there isn't a moron posting long, terrible screeds of garbage information

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Glass the inland desert.

youd kill too many Comanche

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The kill all the gays referendum is actually a good thing because it will never get the signatures and it's making people aware of how stupid legislation by referendum is.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

greatn posted:

The kill all the gays referendum is actually a good thing because it will never get the signatures and it's making people aware of how stupid legislation by referendum is.

Doesn't matter whether it gets the signatures or not. CA Supreme Court would throw it off the ballot as being against the state constitution, even if it were to make the required quota.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PupsOfWar posted:

youd kill too many Comanche

Well then we should just get rat poison into the ranch dressing supply.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Zelder posted:

Man, the minute MIGF moves out QV moves in. I swear it's like the thread just won't work if there isn't a moron posting long, terrible screeds of garbage information

Did he get banned? I mean, I welcome the lack of idiot.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Nah just probated until tomorrow.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

N00ba the Hutt posted:

A truly delicious article in the WaPo today about the rise of super-PACs and mega-donors making the merely wealthy feel "disenfranchised" and "irrelevant."

This is I think our best chance of positive change - when even the 1% is on the same page as the 99% and it's just the 0.1%, it makes progress somewhat easier on these sorts of fronts.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
He's mostly right. Climate change and its results are going to kill a large portion of the human population within the next few decades, and nonviolent overly polite political action isn't going to change things quickly enough to prevent this. I don't think QV's accelerationism will solve things, but that's because I doubt anything will. We could have lessened the damage by taking direct action a few decades ago, but modern liberals are too obsessed with being the reasonable ones to actually take these steps, and actual leftists are too few in number and too focused on pointless infighting to have much effect. Drought, flooding, famine and starvation are headed our way, but got forbid anyone be violent or smash anything. It's too late to fix much now, and most of us will only survive because we had the unearned luck to be born into first world countries that will let the rest of the world suffer to protect themselves. So while QV's solution probably won't work, it's an understandable response to how absolutely hosed things are.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Word leaking now that Mike Pence has signed the Indiana anti-gay law in a closed and unannounced ceremony (it was originally slated for this evening, they moved it up without telling the public or dems)

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Reset the Republican Rape Comment Clock (RēCē)
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/connecticut-republican-says-existence-of-witnesses-to-a-sexual-assault-means-it-was-a-great-party/

quote:

“Because at the end of the day, there are no witnesses…or at least if there are, it’s a really great party.”

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

QV's accelerationism by supporting republicans may not be the answer, but the rest of his thesis is pretty solid.

Turnquiet fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 26, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

An Angry Bug posted:

He's mostly right. Climate change and its results are going to kill a large portion of the human population within the next few decades, and nonviolent overly polite political action isn't going to change things quickly enough to prevent this. I don't think QV's accelerationism will solve things, but that's because I doubt anything will. We could have lessened the damage by taking direct action a few decades ago, but modern liberals are too obsessed with being the reasonable ones to actually take these steps, and actual leftists are too few in number and too focused on pointless infighting to have much effect. Drought, flooding, famine and starvation are headed our way, but got forbid anyone be violent or smash anything. It's too late to fix much now, and most of us will only survive because we had the unearned luck to be born into first world countries that will let the rest of the world suffer to protect themselves. So while QV's solution probably won't work, it's an understandable response to how absolutely hosed things are.

It seems really...comical to complain about other people not being willing to bomb coal plants and assassinate Republicans, while voting Republican oneself.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Turnquiet posted:

QV's accelerationism may not be the answer, but long ago I realized that being a

is pretty much the only avenue left to affect change in this country and am not seeing too much evidence to the contrary. History has shown that when things gets lovely enough and the people are hopeless that they then are free to be what they need to be to cast down the oppressors, but it won't happen fast enough to save the country/world.

I long aqgo accepted it won't happen fast enough, but then I get alot of my ideas from Oswald Spengler.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

VitalSigns posted:

It seems really...comical to complain about other people not being willing to bomb coal plants and assassinate Republicans, while voting Republican oneself.

Well yeah, but I kinda doubt he actually does. At least, I hope not.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

at first I thought it was a date rape joke but doesn't that actually seem like he was making more of an orgy joke

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Fried Chicken posted:

Word leaking now that Mike Pence has signed the Indiana anti-gay law in a closed and unannounced ceremony (it was originally slated for this evening, they moved it up without telling the public or dems)

Yup he never blinked, even when the republican mayor of Indianapolis came out against it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VitalSigns posted:

Actually, that's a pretty good summary of the Republican mindset (just slightly different targets on the former).

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Riptor posted:

at first I thought it was a date rape joke but doesn't that actually seem like he was making more of an orgy joke

He is taking about witnesses to a rape.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Jackson Taus posted:

This is I think our best chance of positive change - when even the 1% is on the same page as the 99% and it's just the 0.1%, it makes progress somewhat easier on these sorts of fronts.

Sometimes it feels like the only progress is made is when rich people decide to get off their asses about something (see: gay rights for wealthy white guys, women's suffrage movements that shut out black women, every revolution ever being started by educated relatively wealthy people). It sucks because then if change happens some rich rear end in a top hat gets to take credit as a visionary or some bullshit while the poors who were trying to turn things around for ages are supposed to be grateful or something.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xibanya posted:

Sometimes it feels like the only progress is made is when rich people decide to get off their asses about something (see: gay rights for wealthy white guys, women's suffrage movements that shut out black women, every revolution ever being started by educated relatively wealthy people). It sucks because then if change happens some rich rear end in a top hat gets to take credit as a visionary or some bullshit while the poors who were trying to turn things around for ages are supposed to be grateful or something.

Poor people weren't trying to shut out black women though (well, not the poors you're defining). Your thesis seems to be that the most helpless in society can't do change on their own (at least that's the only unifying thing I can find in all of your examples). Which is almost trivial.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

N00ba the Hutt posted:

Honestly this is scary, though the schadenfreude is fun. Wealth, and therefore political power, is just getting more and more concentrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

computer parts posted:

Poor people weren't trying to shut out black women though (well, not the poors you're defining). Your thesis seems to be that the most helpless in society can't do change on their own (at least that's the only unifying thing I can find in all of your examples). Which is almost trivial.

It may not have been articulated well but I was talking about times that the wealthy have supposedly been serving the greater good (or have been lauded for doing so) but they were still being rich jerks. I feel powerless and the idea that we won't see social change until the 1% start riding the asses of the .1% is a bitter pill to swallow.

• Locked thread