Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

To be in the same conversation as Alabama and Texas :unsmith:

You guys havent faked enough titles to be in that company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

pillsburysoldier posted:

To be in the same conversation as Alabama and Texas :unsmith:

He only did it because he doesn't want you

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Raku posted:

He only did it because he doesn't want you

We dun' arrived. :dukedog:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
erikmathis hatin'

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This might be the stupidest thing any active player has ever done. Ever. And that includes that sheep theft that one time.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
fishing king speaks the truth

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Sash! posted:

And that includes that sheep theft that one time.

Don't leave me hanging, dude.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Isn't Advocare some MLM bullshit?

Good job Braxton.

kittenmittons posted:

An Oregon State player stole a gay sheep.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/sheep-rustlers-caught/article_e0db4a44-c7c0-5007-8560-c3f821b429da.html

quote:

There's more ba-a-a-d news for Oregon State University's football team.

Beavers player Ben Michael Siegert was apparently caught driving the getaway vehicle that whisked a ram away from the university's Sheep Center, according to police.

A Benton County Sheriff's deputy found the animal in the bed of a pickup after pulling Siegert over for speeding on Southwest Whiteside Drive about 1:34 a.m. last Friday morning.

Also in the pickup was former OSU football player Brent Charles Bridges, 22, and Whitney Susan Rodgers, 19, of Glendale, Ariz.

Contacted Tuesday afternoon, Siegert said he recalled being pulled over, but denied any involvement with the ram.

"I don't know anything about that," he said. "I'm from a city. I don't know anything about sheep."

However, Benton County Undersheriff Diana Simpson confirmed the sheep tale.

"Either Mr. Siegert's not being truthful with you, or maybe he was too intoxicated to remember," Simpson said.

The ram lives at the research facility on 35th Street near Campus Way and is part of a study on homosexuality in sheep, said Sheep Center manager Tom Nichols.

It probably weighs about 200 pounds, he said, and it likely took both men to get the ram into the bed of the pickup.

"I'm sure it wasn't an easy job," Nichols said.

Sheep rustling, it seems, is not uncommon at OSU.

"We have at least one prank a year where we have to go to a dormitory or a sorority house and pick up a ram or a lamb or a ewe," Nichols said. "It's one of those springtime pranks."

Fun and games aside, Siegert, 20, was arrested on an accusation of driving under the influence of intoxicants after failing field sobriety tests. Almost an hour and a half after being pulled over, he registered .14 percent blood-alcohol content on a breath analyzer at the county jail.

A worker from the Sheep Center retrieved the animal, and the deputy chose not to arrest anybody for taking the ram.

Coach Mike Riley is still considering Siegert's situation and what consequences the player might face, said OSU sports information director Steve Fenk.

"At this point they're just going to deal with it internally," Fenk said. "I don't know if it's going to affect spring practice."

A redshirt sophomore from Glendale, Siegert is a two-year starter at defensive tackle and is ranked first on the depth chart heading into spring practice, which begins March 30. He made the Pac-10 all-freshman team in 2003 and was 10th on the team in defensive points in 2004.

Bridges lettered as a backup offensive lineman in 2003 and 2004 after transferring to OSU from Glendale Community College. He has completed his eligibility.

In recent months, the OSU football team has been stung with a string of players' brushes with the law.

Joe Rudulph was suspended in November after he was arrested for allegedly punching a National Guard soldier during what police initially called a racially charged bar fight at the Headline Cafe. Anthony Wheat-Brown, Whitfield Usher and Ryan Rainwater also were suspended for their involvement after it became apparent that the underage men had been inside the bar.

Bridges was suspended in November after police arrested him for his alleged involvement in an assault at the Headline Cafe during a Civil War victory celebration. In addition, Bridges and former player Seth Lacey were issued citations for disorderly conduct in December following an investigation into a March 2004 bar fight at Senior Sam's Cantina.

Reserve freshman Bryan Payton was sent home from the Insight Bowl in Phoenix after coach Riley found out about a Dec. 21 altercation in which the player was involved; and Star Paddock and Jim Tavis Walker were arrested Feb. 11 for allegedly assaulting and robbing a taxi cab driver after they offered to pay their fare with marijuana.

Siegert was cited to appear March 31 in Benton County Circuit Court on the DUII charge.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 26, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

kittenmittons posted:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1364271/posts

Best part: The ram lives at the research facility on 35th Street near Campus Way and is part of a study on homosexuality in sheep, said Sheep Center manager Tom Nichols.

Not only did he steal a sheep (ram), it was possibly a gay one. Or bicurious maybe. Or who knows, that's part of the magic.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Isn't Advocare some MLM bullshit?

Good job Braxton.

That's what makes it so stupid. That guy is, in all probability, making less than $2500 a year from it. And Miller was dumb enough to make a terrible decision on his cost-benefit analysis.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

This is the way the career ends
Not with a bang but a twitter

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

kittenmittons posted:

This is the way the career ends
Not with a bang but a twitter

that's instagram

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just on my initial impression this doesn't jump out at me as necessarily a career-ender, or it might not be if we weren't talking about a guy with one year left (right?) with plenty of competition on the depth chart. Even so there's still a long time to get a ruling back.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Neil Armbong posted:

that's instagram

Whatever. I'm in my late twenties and instagram doesn't fit.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Just noticed one of the people in there has a Bob the Builder user name.

They don't seem particularly enthusiastic about their pyramid scheme :geno:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

It is really stupid to refuse to say the name of your opponent when you play two other schools with that word in theirs.

Obviously, their board should say "Western That Team Up North" and "That Team Up North State"

Ohio State continues to suck eggs forever

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Michigan should schedule the Ohio Bobcats

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Michigan should schedule the Ohio Bobcats

Best Mascot but also we're still mad about losing to them in the Basketball tournament a few years ago

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I would love to see a really long convoluted sign thats like "That school up north, no not that one, the one that is a bit south, no go a little west, yeah, right there, that's the one!"

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/michigan-sends-handwritten-letter-to-recruits-girlfriend-telling-her-how-special-she-is/

What it means to be a "Michigan Man" is to write handwritten recruitment letters to a recruit's girlfriend to get her to convince him to go to Michigan.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

vyst posted:

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/michigan-sends-handwritten-letter-to-recruits-girlfriend-telling-her-how-special-she-is/

What it means to be a "Michigan Man" is to write handwritten recruitment letters to a recruit's girlfriend to get her to convince him to go to Michigan.

haters gonna hate

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Hi, I'm Jay Harbaugh. I'm the TE coach at the University of Michigan and in my spare time I enjoy keeping young women chained up against their will in my basement while I stare into a mirror and smear lipstick across my face with Johnny Mathis' "Wonderful, Wonderful" playing in the background.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Adam Lane is happy that he pooped his pants:

http://uproxx.com/sports/2015/03/adam-lane-pooped-pants-story/

quote:

It was the best thing that could have happened. It got a lot of attention and just put me in a place where I was out there publicly and people knew who I was. I really didn’t get a lot of grief from it. A lot of people were really more focused on how well I did in the game than anything. I feel like it was that way because I embraced it. That’s actually the first time something like that has ever happened. … I embraced it. Even running off the field after it happened, I waved at the crowd after I ran off to go change. And I waved when I came back.”

Adam Lane is my new favorite Gator.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

poo poo happens

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
When it comes to making GBS threads your pants on national TV there's no way it's not an infinitely embarrassing situation nobody will forget but you do whatever mental tricks you need to do to get that behind you because nobody can be a functioning human being after that fiasco without coming to terms with it.

Either that or move to a cave in the Mojave and reject modern society. Nobody's gonna blame you either way.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Something about the quote "That’s actually the first time something like that has ever happened. … I embraced it" makes me laugh and laugh.

*shits pants*

...this is my moment

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ehud posted:

Something about the quote "That’s actually the first time something like that has ever happened. … I embraced it" makes me laugh and laugh.

*shits pants*

...this is my moment

Where will you be when nature calls you?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Neil Armbong posted:

Again, you bring your weird, Michigan maize tinted view to the sport in general, and I bring the polar opposite Texas view. We're already through the NFL experience looking glass and no one is really complaining for things to go back to how they were.

Well I am. The Texas gameday experience blows hard, and I think Det has a point in there somewhere. I could see myself putting up with whatever inconvenience to make it to the games and dropping some cash in the collection plate if I was feeling the love, but as it is at DKR you are unmistakably the customer. And if they're gonna treat me like a customer I will treat them like a business and stay the gently caress away until they give me an experience that's worth the price they charge for it. I sure as gently caress don't donate to my local businesses, even the ones I really like.

I'm told they're considering bringing DJ Mel in as a stadium DJ, which would make us a ringer for best music selection in the country if they would give him a free hand but I basically guarantee they are going to have him playing the same tired old jock jams. I'm already mourning this massive missed opportunity to do something genuinely cool and reflective of the amazing city that Austin is.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

vyst posted:

Where will you be when nature calls you?

How's your QB battle shaping up? Is Grier actually not-bad?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thermos H Christ posted:

Well I am. The Texas gameday experience blows hard, and I think Det has a point in there somewhere. I could see myself putting up with whatever inconvenience to make it to the games and dropping some cash in the collection plate if I was feeling the love, but as it is at DKR you are unmistakably the customer. And if they're gonna treat me like a customer I will treat them like a business and stay the gently caress away until they give me an experience that's worth the price they charge for it. I sure as gently caress don't donate to my local businesses, even the ones I really like.

I'm told they're considering bringing DJ Mel in as a stadium DJ, which would make us a ringer for best music selection in the country if they would give him a free hand but I basically guarantee they are going to have him playing the same tired old jock jams. I'm already mourning this massive missed opportunity to do something genuinely cool and reflective of the amazing city that Austin is.

With you on that. I have a hell of a lot more fun tailgating outside DKR, getting drunk and watching the game under a tent outside while eating ribs and getting hammered.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

pillsburysoldier posted:

How's your QB battle shaping up? Is Grier actually not-bad?

They're still getting equal snaps right now and no one has written anything to indicate one guy is in the lead or anything. Plus, McElwain is really guarded about this kind of stuff, so he's not giving the media anything.

I have a feeling we'll know more in a couple of weeks after the Orange and Blue game.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Kohl Center brought in a DJ for a lot of conference games this year. It was loving terrible. When the band is at the bowl game, fine. Not when they're in the drat stands.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Ehud posted:

They're still getting equal snaps right now and no one has written anything to indicate one guy is in the lead or anything. Plus, McElwain is really guarded about this kind of stuff, so he's not giving the media anything.

I have a feeling we'll know more in a couple of weeks after the Orange and Blue game.

McElwain is being so tight lipped about it that the reporter that was tactless enough to ask Adam Lane about making GBS threads himself is really mad at him: http://www.sportsdaynow.com/reporter-blasts-jim-mcelwain-as-used-car-salesman/

(he's also mad because McElwain ignored his request for an interview as his plane landed in Florida)

The best part is how he acts like anyone was supposed to take McElwain's joke about Grier running onto the field really quickly seriously.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thermos H Christ posted:

I think there's truth to that and it is a valid concern. I just don't see gameday experience as a core issue when it comes to what is happening with the NCAA and where it is going to head going forward.

Though to your last point - about donating to your local business - that I think is a core issue and the reason I don't see going semi-pro being a viable solution. We are approaching a breaking point with the current model but I see a reigning in to be more likely than a total free for all. Full cost of attendance scholarships are basically a done deal and a good thing (though I still don't get how they'll work for non headcount sports). But straight up paying players or even just thinking that something like a draft or salary cap are even in the realm of possible ideas just isn't going to happen.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Ah, drat it. I missed this.

Dabo's the worst poo poo-talker I've ever seen.

HEY YOU loving HAYSEED---YOU CAN'T TALK poo poo ABOUT A TEAM WHEN YOU'RE A FROSTY 2-5 AGAINST THEM.

It's also kind of weird to basically admit to and brag about throwing an injured player out there. Don't get me wrong -- it's certainly embarrassing that we lost to a one-legged quarterback, but it shows the depths of Dabo's desperation as well. In any case, I'll let him and Clemson have their poo poo-talking; they're pent up after five years, and bragging rights are part of the deal.

In other news, the Duck Dynasty folks will no longer sponsor the Independence Bowl. We are the first and the last Duck Commanders. :911:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Raku posted:

McElwain is being so tight lipped about it that the reporter that was tactless enough to ask Adam Lane about making GBS threads himself is really mad at him: http://www.sportsdaynow.com/reporter-blasts-jim-mcelwain-as-used-car-salesman/

(he's also mad because McElwain ignored his request for an interview as his plane landed in Florida)

The best part is how he acts like anyone was supposed to take McElwain's joke about Grier running onto the field really quickly seriously.

Long is a huge baby. I can't stand him.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RumbleFish posted:

It's also kind of weird to basically admit to and brag about throwing an injured player out there. Don't get me wrong -- it's certainly embarrassing that we lost to a one-legged quarterback, but it shows the depths of Dabo's desperation as well. In any case, I'll let him and Clemson have their poo poo-talking; they're pent up after five years, and bragging rights are part of the deal.

In other news, the Duck Dynasty folks will no longer sponsor the Independence Bowl. We are the first and the last Duck Commanders. :911:

Imagine that if, instead of Dylan Thompson sitting as an injured Connor Shaw's backup, you had Dondrial Pinkins... Pretty sure Spurdog would try to squeeze every ounce out of Shaw that he could.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Raku posted:

It's a bit early to call, but McElwain might have Spurrier-level trolling skills and I'm hoping he lives up to that hype.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

Imagine that if, instead of Dylan Thompson sitting as an injured Connor Shaw's backup, you had Dondrial Pinkins... Pretty sure Spurdog would try to squeeze every ounce out of Shaw that he could.

We're still not really sure that Shaw is fully human and not some kind of football automaton, though, so he's probably not the best example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

We're still not really sure that Shaw is fully human and not some kind of football automaton, though, so he's probably not the best example.

Conner Shaw directly responding the the "Bad NFL Lip Reading" video with him in it was cool.

• Locked thread