Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

WarLocke posted:

I didn't think to take a pic of the garbage map, but some of the residential area on the far right are starting to show as brownish as if they're not getting trash collection. And I'm getting a lot of trash balloons over there. I'm getting close to unlocking incinerators, but until then can I do anything other than building a stinky dump closer to them? My other dumps still have something like 40% capacity.

I'm having similar issues. At first I solved it by buying a plot of terrain far away from my town and building a bunch of trash dumps there (adding incinerators later), but my town is getting big and it's no longer enough, plus they're quickly filling up. It seems as if incinerators don't really burn through your trash reserves, they just gather their own trash and then burn it.

How do you handle trash properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

WarLocke posted:

Help me with my babby city!

I didn't think to take a pic of the garbage map, but some of the residential area on the far right are starting to show as brownish as if they're not getting trash collection. And I'm getting a lot of trash balloons over there. I'm getting close to unlocking incinerators, but until then can I do anything other than building a stinky dump closer to them? My other dumps still have something like 40% capacity.

Also when you unlock the better police/fire building should you just bulldoze the old one and just use the nicer ones? I'm already finding that I need a ton of fire stations.

What's the mechanical difference between 'normal' and dense commercial/residential? I gather they're probably skyscraper type stuff, more people in the same area. More upkeep/pollution? But like is there a reason not to make my entire commercial strip scrapers when I can?

You could build a temporary one near your business district and empty -> demolish it once you get an incinerator.

Another thing you could try is changing the layout of your roads. When you plopped the two you have currently, how far did the coverage extend?

For Fire/Police stations I only use the bigger ones past a certain population point, especially with the police stations. Even the starter firestations have a pretty wide coverage area but this can change according to how you layout your roads.

You're right about the zoning density. There'll be a higher demand on services but you get more income from the same space. I haven't found any downsides to high density commercial zoning as long as my industrial sector is big enough.

Elman posted:

I'm having similar issues. At first I solved it by buying a plot of terrain far away from my town and building a bunch of trash dumps there (adding incinerators later), but my town is getting big and it's no longer enough, plus they're quickly filling up. It seems as if incinerators don't really burn through your trash reserves, they just gather their own trash and then burn it.

If you want the incinerator to go through your existing trash reserves you have to start emptying them, they won't move it on their own.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Elman posted:

You can make incinerators burn through a landfill's supply by emptying the landfill.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Elman posted:

Try clicking on a dump and selecting 'empty this crap' or whatever the option is. Maybe the game doesn't auto-incinerate trash that was there before you built the incinerator?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Notorious QIG posted:

You can make incinerators burn through a landfill's supply by emptying the landfill.

Yeah, I rotate emptying my landfills and it seems to have kept everything running smoothly.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I just use the super recycling center. It doesn't eliminate the need to collect garbage but it does greatly reduce the number of landfills/incinerators you need.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, I rotate emptying my landfills and it seems to have kept everything running smoothly.

There's a mod for that, it auto-empties graveyards/landfills when full to be incinerated .

linkypops

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fishbus posted:

There's a mod for that, it auto-empties graveyards/landfills when full to be incinerated .

linkypops

Oh, that's handy.

I like that when cemeteries fill up they just start disinterring people, though. Seems like the kind of behavior folks would frown upon.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh, that's handy.

I like that when cemeteries fill up they just start disinterring people, though. Seems like the kind of behavior folks would frown upon.

I just want to get some power out of the crematorium. Soylent Energy.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Honestly I would have thought that over time landfills/graveyards would naturally empty - albeit slowly - due to decomposition/biodegrading material.

I'm gonna mod in a recycling center and make a model to boot because I need this.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fishbus posted:

Honestly I would have thought that over time landfills/graveyards would naturally empty - albeit slowly - due to decomposition/biodegrading material.

That's a good idea, would that at all be moddable?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This has probably been covered before, but is a repeating sequence of industry opening, complaining about lack of workers, and then becoming abandoned buildings a sign of more transportation needed, not enough workers nearby, or a combination of both?

Also highways are weird. Is there a knack to building graceful offramp curves? Mine are all weird and janky.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Jet Jaguar posted:

This has probably been covered before, but is a repeating sequence of industry opening, complaining about lack of workers, and then becoming abandoned buildings a sign of more transportation needed, not enough workers nearby, or a combination of both?

Also highways are weird. Is there a knack to building graceful offramp curves? Mine are all weird and janky.

I try to run my offramps parallel to the main freeway, one tile away when possible. Makes everything look a bit cleaner. Build your interchanges out of 6 and 2 lane one ways so you can use the grid, then upgrade to highway/ramp when it looks good. The curve tool with grid on is your friend.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jet Jaguar posted:

In my city it actually seems like a problem of overeducation more than anything else. I just keep bulldozing the abandoned ones and it seems like more high-tech industry is moving in.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Are mods like the 25 tiles able to be put into an existing city/save or would I need to scrap and restart?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

crazkylo posted:

Are mods like the 25 tiles able to be put into an existing city/save or would I need to scrap and restart?

All mods are applied retroactively, so you don't need to restart cities.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

In my city it actually seems like a problem of overeducation more than anything else. I just keep bulldozing the abandoned ones and it seems like more high-tech industry is moving in.

Unfortunately you can't fix the education problem because schools don't have zones of influence. Students will commute across entire cities to get an education which means you always have a glut of educated workers.

It eventually works out okay, educated workers will fill lower tier jobs if there's nothing else available, but it does generate a ton of irritating icons all over the map because they don't fill those jobs instantly.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Fishbus posted:

Realistically, probably not on a timescale that's meaningful for a city-building game. Maybe like 1%/year or something at most, I would guess. Especially for cemeteries; you don't necessarily dismantle a gravesite just because the body has decomposed. Cemeteries in the northeast US have plenty of 200+ year old graves, and I'm sure European cemeteries are generally older. Reusing cemetery plots would be more of a policy decision than anything driven by decomposition.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately you can't fix the education problem because schools don't have zones of influence. Students will commute across entire cities to get an education which means you always have a glut of educated workers.

It eventually works out okay, educated workers will fill lower tier jobs if there's nothing else available, but it does generate a ton of irritating icons all over the map because they don't fill those jobs instantly.

Wait they do? So why do the roads light up green when placing schools?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Wait they do? So why do the roads light up green when placing schools?

It increases land values in the area, I believe.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

xzzy posted:

Okay, so I've been putting schools down according to their "reach" along the roads that it shows, because I assumed residents weren't getting educated if they didn't have one in range. That's wrong, then?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

PT6A posted:

It increases land values in the area, I believe.

Oh! Wish I'd known this before plopping like 3 elementary schools down

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Jet Jaguar posted:

I use this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410151616&searchtext=vitals

Keeping an eye on employment levels I try to never let my employment percentage get above midway in the last green bar and only start to zone more Ind/Com once it drops out of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

-Dethstryk- posted:

Okay, so I've been putting schools down according to their "reach" along the roads that it shows, because I assumed residents weren't getting educated if they didn't have one in range. That's wrong, then?

Yeah, it's pretty easy to test.. build some residential zones off in the middle of nowhere and keep an eye on the education level of those buildings. Eventually they'll get educated no matter what you do.

Even if you only build one elementary school and it spends the whole time at 300/300 students it seems like the whole city will eventually become educated.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Oh! Wish I'd known this before plopping like 3 elementary schools down
You could just move them, there's a button for it on every building. It's not free but it's way cheaper than killdozing and rebuilding.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

xzzy posted:

Yeah, it's pretty easy to test.. build some residential zones off in the middle of nowhere and keep an eye on the education level of those buildings. Eventually they'll get educated no matter what you do.

Even if you only build one elementary school and it spends the whole time at 300/300 students it seems like the whole city will eventually become educated.

Is there a mod that changes that so that schools do work based on range?

I have plans for a Slums district and I can't have them being educated.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Does that also mean that fire dept, hospitals, and police stations cover the whole city too?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Does that also mean that fire dept, hospitals, and police stations cover the whole city too?

Fire departments definitely don't seem to, the 'services map' makes that clear (if you watch it right after setting one down the nearby buildings turn green - which I'm assuming means they're covered/their 'hazard' goes down - but farther ones stay orange/red which I assumes mean they're not covered). Also you can plop down like 4-5 FDs in an industrial sector and the residential sector across the city won't change color one bit.

PDs seem to cover everything but maybe I just have small cities and low crime? :iiam:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Yes, but they are slowed down by traffic which means if you don't have a fire department close enough the building will burn down before help arrives. Same goes for hospitals.

Police is just completely broken.. a single install of the upgraded police department can keep an entire city low crime.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Supraluminal posted:

Realistically, probably not on a timescale that's meaningful for a city-building game. Maybe like 1%/year or something at most, I would guess. Especially for cemeteries; you don't necessarily dismantle a gravesite just because the body has decomposed. Cemeteries in the northeast US have plenty of 200+ year old graves, and I'm sure European cemeteries are generally older. Reusing cemetery plots would be more of a policy decision than anything driven by decomposition.

Of course, but I'm just thinking in accelerated, exaggerated for the sake of gameplay logic and balance here.

I'm making a recycling center right now, it's possible to mod in as essentially a really slow incinerator that creates no pollution or power

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Yeah, but because their vehicles need to reach locations in a certain amount if time it is good to spread them out. Keep in mind that for reasons unknown to me service vehicles like garbage trucks work on geographical proximity, rather than road network proximity.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Bad Caller posted:

I don't plan things out in advance, the way I play is I unlock all 25 tiles, build a bunch of small towns, then grow them organically into each other into a mega city with outlying towns. It makes traffic surprisingly easier because you start with a bunch of access points, and it doesn't make weird planned circles.

So for this small town plan - is there any way to tell how much capacity/use a particular power grid has? Or do you just run pylons all over the place (seems like a good solution, since that's about how it's done here in the real world)?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

meatsaw posted:

So for this small town plan - is there any way to tell how much capacity/use a particular power grid has? Or do you just run pylons all over the place (seems like a good solution, since that's about how it's done here in the real world)?

I don't think so, which becomes incredibly frustrating later on when some of your outlaying communities are having blackouts for no discernible reason.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yeah, a district specific power/water consumption graph would really be handy.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I wish I could do underground power lines.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I wish I could do underground power lines.

isn't this kind of the principle of buildings having connected power

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I'd just re-installed Sim City 4 a month ago or so and quickly ran into all of the buggy annoying poo poo that made me quit playing to begin with, and at the same time started seeing preview gameplay videos of this game...but the cities all looked like eco-scandinavian Ikea dreamscapes. Can I build a Neo-Tokyo Sprawl Brade Runna city?

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Anyone getting a weird bug where you build roads but it does put down the blank un-zoned areas? Incredibly annoying? Happens after a bit of playing. Only way to fix it is to quit and restart. :argh:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I wish trees would grow organically over time. Like an undeveloped area would become full of trees given enough time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I'd just re-installed Sim City 4 a month ago or so and quickly ran into all of the buggy annoying poo poo that made me quit playing to begin with, and at the same time started seeing preview gameplay videos of this game...but the cities all looked like eco-scandinavian Ikea dreamscapes. Can I build a Neo-Tokyo Sprawl Brade Runna city?

You can mod in a bunch of buildings you like and demolish the eco-scandinavian ones as they pop up. Until they give us a good way to manage architecture themes, though, the game's "look" is pretty much eco-scandinavian Ikea dreamscape.