Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Fathis Munk posted:

How the gently caress does your language even work to get that kind of pronunciation ? I mean French and German have a couple weird ones but come on.

Most languages of celtic origin are kinda clumsy and difficult to grasp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

EmmyOk posted:

Oisín = Usheen

I really want to name my kid this now, thanks.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

I really want to name my kid this now, thanks.

Please call your child Poisín and when people ask if it's pronounced poison respond with

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
iirc, Poisin literally means kitten, right?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

hyperhazard posted:

iirc, Poisin literally means kitten, right?

I use piscín but in the one of the others it is puisín! There's 3 unique dialects and a 4th that's a melting pot of the other 3. In your final exam's listening portion you have to listen to people from each dialect. Which is surprisingly diverse for such a tiny country!

content:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

EmmyOk posted:

Please call your child Poisín and when people ask if it's pronounced poison respond with

I'll raise my child to believe he's Pusheen and you'll all be writing about me in this thread in 10 years.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

EmmyOk posted:

I use piscín but in the one of the others it is puisín! There's 3 unique dialects and a 4th that's a melting pot of the other 3. In your final exam's listening portion you have to listen to people from each dialect. Which is surprisingly diverse for such a tiny country!

content:

My guess is she broke down because she realized that she may have played some part in the guys descent into lunacy

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

trickybiscuits posted:

I'm so glad imgur is anonymous so I can upload this without attaching my name to it.

Shoulda bought long term care insurance.

Seriously though, I like that he seems to think that people in nursing homes aren't there because they need some kind of aid performing daily functions. Sure, it might be cheaper to stay on a ship or in a hotel but who is going to help you there? I guess it doesn't matter because it didn't happen but the attitude he's illustrating is lovely.

hallo spacedog has a new favorite as of 05:31 on Mar 25, 2015

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Some people are in nursing homes because they can't handle their daily tasks well, such as cooking and cleaning.

Then there are these people.

quote:

This Snuggle Isn’t Working For Me
HOME | BALTIMORE, MD, USA | MARRIAGE & PARTNERS
(My husband has a cold and I am giving him a hard time about it.)

Husband: “Where are you going?”

Me: “The bedroom.”

Husband: “Why?”

Me: “I don’t know, maybe there will be snuggles in there.”

Husband: “I don’t want to get you sick”

Me: *pouts*

Husband: “I’m serious. It’s why I didn’t snuggle anyone at work today.”

(His office is 100% male.)

Me: “Wha…? Do you often snuggle your coworkers?”

Husband: “All the time. What do you think we do during lunch?”

Me: *stares*

Husband: “Yeah, so if I skipped out on the daily lunch-snuggle, I’m definitely not going to make my wife sick by snuggling her. You should be thanking me for my considerate nature.”

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Khazar-khum posted:

Some people are in nursing homes because they can't handle their daily tasks well, such as cooking and cleaning.

Wha...???!!
:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:
Playful jesting? Why I never!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

EmmyOk posted:

That was pretty good bringbackmyfish!
To learn Irish just go to an all-Irish school as a child where they scream at you till you cry if you speak English!

Thanks! I earned that D. If I get drunk, I can definitely say "the cat is on the table" and "close the door."

My dad claims he briefly went to a Welsh school back in the fifties where they would just hit you if you spoke English (this might be STDH.) Unsurprisingly, he cannot speak Welsh.

buzzfeed posted:

When I was 18, I worked in an ice cream shop. Star employee and making my way up to supervisor, I had a long night out with friends and didn't want to go to work. Called the owner and told him, "Sorry but I have anal glaucoma," after asking what it was I informed him "I just don't see my a** coming into work today!" Gave me the day off with pay for making him laugh so hard!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bringmyfishback posted:

My dad claims he briefly went to a Welsh school back in the fifties where they would just hit you if you spoke English (this might be STDH.) Unsurprisingly, he cannot speak Welsh.

Teaching techniques in the 50s were horrendous and I wouldn't be surprised if this is Stuff That Did Happen because it's the same method the US used to try and kill off languages since they started letting natives get an education.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The White Dragon posted:

Teaching techniques in the 50s were horrendous and I wouldn't be surprised if this is Stuff That Did Happen because it's the same method the US used to try and kill off languages since they started letting natives get an education.

Yeah, something like that very would could happen. I would have thought it would have been the other way around in that they would hit you if you spoke Welsh but this is very plausible.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

To be honest, I question the existence of a Welsh immersion school in postwar Bristol, not the hitting.

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
Yeah I thought that Welsh/Manx/Irish etc immersion wasn't really a thing until a generation or so ago?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bringmyfishback posted:

I can absolutely believe this as I got hit a couple times in Pre-School for writing with my left hand in Texas. In the 80's. We had a really old teacher, and I was probably one of the last students to ever be forced into being a righty in the US.

:ninja: edit: Jokes on her, I broke my right hand a couple years after, and now I can't write with either of them very well!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Khazar-khum posted:

For some reason, Baltimore is goony as hell. There's a 90% chance I know whoever submitted this.

I'm friends with one couple on Facebook who only posts statuses like this (complete with stilted dialogue and stage directions) and it gets annoying really fast.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Captain Monkey posted:

I can absolutely believe this as I got hit a couple times in Pre-School for writing with my left hand in Texas. In the 80's. We had a really old teacher, and I was probably one of the last students to ever be forced into being a righty in the US.

:ninja: edit: Jokes on her, I broke my right hand a couple years after, and now I can't write with either of them very well!

My dad went to a school where you had to show your gym teacher your report card, and got whacked with a giant paddle. The worse your grades were, the more whacks you got. This thing had holes drilled in it to make it more aerodynamic (Texas.) Students getting hit 100% happened.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Ugh. I'm most annoyed by the user of "easier." Easier isn't the same as more efficient. And frankly, it sounds worse. I just think "easy=lazy."

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Boywhiz88 posted:

Ugh. I'm most annoyed by the user of "easier." Easier isn't the same as more efficient. And frankly, it sounds worse. I just think "easy=lazy."

He even quoted what Big Bill said about lazy people. Nothing quite like taking a joke as gospel, or assuming you being a lazy moron is the same as the 'lazy' one in a high level programming team for the biggest tech company in the world.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

bringmyfishback posted:

Thanks! I earned that D. If I get drunk, I can definitely say "the cat is on the table" and "close the door."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Not

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A late 20s dude I used to work with is Irish, (from Ireland), and he is bilingual-ish. He said he went to a normal school, but there was 'Irish Camp' where you had to speak Irish all the time, even amongst peers, and would get severely punished for using English.

I can easily see the same sort of thing happening in Wales.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

A late 20s dude I used to work with is Irish, (from Ireland), and he is bilingual-ish. He said he went to a normal school, but there was 'Irish Camp' where you had to speak Irish all the time, even amongst peers, and would get severely punished for using English.

I can easily see the same sort of thing happening in Wales.

That's a gaeltacht, an area where they speak Irish. There aren't many left. There's quite a few summer camps all over the country located in them

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
A brazillion ways to stdh:

quote:

A Total Brazil Nut
RESTAURANT | FRANCE | FOOD & DRINK, GEOGRAPHY, LANGUAGE & WORDS
(Every year I work at a local fair as a waitress, at a travelling Brazilian restaurant. I am not a native, but my Portuguese is perfect. A Brazilian woman, accompanied by a French friend, sits at one of my tables and interrupts other customers while I finish taking their orders.)

Customer: *in Portuguese* “YOU! Come serve me right now! I’m starving. I am Brazilian, you know! Brazilians eat a lot. We are not like these skinny French people who don’t eat a thing. These French people can wait. I can’t!”

(After explaining her the different formulas she can choose from, she goes for all you can eat beef.)

Me: “I will only serve the side dishes, and the meat slicers will cut prime beef into a plate whenever you want it.”

Customer: “My friend doesn’t want to eat; just a cocktail, because she is French, and these people don’t eat like Brazilians.”

(Her friend confirms it to me in French. When her plate and the friend’s cocktail are ready I start serving her the side dishes.)

Customer: *yelling* “What is this? Are you putting me on a diet? This is NOT what I had ordered! I wanted all you can eat beef and you are not serving me meat! This is outrageous! If this were Brazil, you’d be fired straight away!”

Me: “I am sorry; maybe I haven’t explained myself very clearly. I am just serving the side dishes, and the gentlemen other there will come straight to your table and cut beef right into your plate.”

Customer: “I have another HUGE problem. Look at my friend; she’s got nothing to eat. This is so rude of you; you have only served her a drink. She may be one of those skinny French, but she has the right to eat you know! This is clearly not Brazil! What part of Brazil are you from to be such a bad waitress?”

Me: “I am sorry; I’ll bring food to your friend right away. And I am not actually Brazilian. I am a local.”

Customer: “Why would they dare employ a non-Brazilian? This is outrageous! French people are just NOT qualified to work here.”

Me: “Well, you hadn’t noticed my accent until now, so it means my Portuguese is good enough to work here. Besides, I’ve lived in Brazil, I am married to a Brazilian, and I am also a certified samba instructor, so it is not as if I didn’t know anything about your culture.”

Customer: “I can’t believe this! This is a scandal! You are not Brazilian! You are such a bad waitress! Call the boss; I’ll make sure you’ll get fired because you are not Brazilian! You can’t possibly know how to serve us. You are a disgrace to my country!”

(I refused to continue serving her. When she finished eating, she made a scandal at the checkout. While leaving, she met the restaurant’s boss, and told him that the service had been horrible, that I had been rude to her, and that French people shouldn’t work at such a place. She also complained about the ‘fat b*’ she had to deal with at the checkout. The boss replied that no one had ever complained about the quality of my service, and that the ‘fat’ woman at the checkout was his pregnant wife. He told her to never dare come back again, and insulted her in front of a bunch of laughing Brazilians.)

InappropriateJazz
Aug 3, 2013

Khazar-khum posted:

Brazilians Brazilians, brazil Brazilians.
Why yes, you see, a travelling brazilian restaurant would be mostly visited by Brazilians, the same way sushi bars all over the world are filled with only Japanese people. BEEP BOOP, LOGIC.
And OBVIOUSLY, a brazilian customer would not understand how Rodizio works, because that's not a well-known brazilian thing at all.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Whoever wrote this story should be subjected to a surprise Brazilian.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
 I am also a certified samba instructor. :smuggo:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

hyperhazard posted:

I am also a certified samba instructor. :smuggo:

Within all the BS involved in that story, this was the weirdest.
So loving what? I used to do Aikido, it didn't mean I could speak japanese.

Also, who the gently caress certifies Samba dancers?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Non Serviam posted:

Adidas, but it's just a racket to sell shoes.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

The London School of Samba, apparently, which also has a separate 'Paris school of Samba' campus in Paris.

Prof. Moriarty
Dec 6, 2003
Not the regular Professor Moriarty, the hologram Professor Moriarty where the holodeck malfunctioned and he created the whole fake hologram enterprise and fooled the Captain. Oh, and he tried to escape with his girlfriend once, but he was foiled.
My friend from high school just posted some incredible STDH. She does this a lot in regards to her life spent Defendin' Are Fredumms:

quote:

I stopped by the Casey's General Store down the street from my condo about a half hour ago. As I walked in, a slimy-looking dude who reeked of marijuana held the door for me.
"Thank you," I said.
"My pleasure," he said with a badly misguided flirtatious smile.
I collected the item for which I was looking and went to the counter to wait my turn, behind, of all people, the dude. He had already paid for his 32-ounce can of Pabst Blue Ribbon and a big bag of Doritos, but he had his phone out, and was talking to his "bro" over Skype. Apparently they and the rest of their pals were playing some sort of scavenger hunt game, and they had to collect certain items from people without actually buying them.
"Do you have a pack of menthols?" the dude asked.
"Only for sale," replied the cashier.
"You got any condoms?" the dude continued.
"Once again, only for sale."
"Do you have an article of women's clothing?"
The cashier glanced at me nervously.
"No," he stated.
"Bummer!" the dude said, and turned to leave, before he noticed me standing there. He stopped in his tracks, and grinned, but before he could open his mouth to speak, I leaned forward and blared, "BACK OFF, PAL, BEFORE I START EXERCISING MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS ON YOU!"
(You can picture me doing this. Admit it.)
The dude grabbed his beer and munchies and hightailed it out of the store, much to the amazement of the cashier, who stood there in stunned silence.
"I never specified which of my Constitutional rights I intended to exercise," I explained as I shrugged and opened my billfold to pay for my item. "For the record, I was planning to embrace my freedom of speech and call that guy out on the creep that he was."
I walked out of that store with a complimentary day-old cinnamon roll.
NEVER MESS WITH AN IOWA REPUBLICAN WOMAN.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Mmm yes, nothing like day-old convenience store pastries to really make a day special. Why do STDH writers have such sad ideas of what being a winner feels like when they craft their tales? She's basically bragging that the cashier decided "Hey lady, throw this away for me."

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Because they've never won.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Living in Iowa, I can confirm that made up story is pretty much the highest achievable life goal for 99 percent of Iowa Republicans.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Max
Nov 30, 2002

OctoberBlues posted:

Living in Iowa, I can confirm that made up story is pretty much the highest achievable life goal for 99 percent of Iowa Republicans.

So, for real, I once saw a guy deliver an angry rant at someone in the town square of Iowa City for dropping a tin can on the ground, instead of in the trash. He yelled about being a vet and fighting for freedoms, about respecting people's rights, and finally called the young dude human garbage.

The young guy just shrugged and spat.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Three-year-old kids are old enough to walk.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Dad was crying because he realized he'd be carrying the author for life one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Ah, that ancient and treasured Chinese custom of putting random poo poo on the floor

• Locked thread