Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I don't have any of the expansions

This is seriously why. Granted, TS4 doesn't have them either but the way it's set up to support additional content looks promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Not that I'm advising 3 over 4, and I don't have any of the expansions, but Sims 3 runs fine on my laptop. :shrug:

Performance was generally fine in the base game initially, but things got so bloated and buggy a generation or two in I always had to use mods to move families to fresh neighbourhoods. The expansions seemed to make it all worse.

Like, you never had issues with the pathing? Where sims would get stuck and the whole game would hang for ten seconds over and over? That poo poo was constant when I played.

Hell it once tried to spawn a dozen butlers in the same spot resulting in a writhing mass of butler moaning and flailing until my game crashed. The sims 3 was a buggy shitheap compared to 4.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Performance was generally fine in the base game initially, but things got so bloated and buggy a generation or two in I always had to use mods to move families to fresh neighbourhoods. The expansions seemed to make it all worse.

Like, you never had issues with the pathing? Where sims would get stuck and the whole game would hang for ten seconds over and over? That poo poo was constant when I played.

Hell it once tried to spawn a dozen butlers in the same spot resulting in a writhing mass of butler moaning and flailing until my game crashed. The sims 3 was a buggy shitheap compared to 4.

My girlfriend's Legacy save in Sims 3 eventually grew to be more than 20 GB in size. It got to where it was no longer possible to save the game- Sims 3 would spend a few minutes trying to save, then just give up and toss an error message.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

deadly_pudding posted:

My girlfriend's Legacy save in Sims 3 eventually grew to be more than 20 GB in size. It got to where it was no longer possible to save the game- Sims 3 would spend a few minutes trying to save, then just give up and toss an error message.

This gave me a sympathy pain in the part of my heart that still mourns the 5 years of The Sims 1 I lost when my computer got taken down by a virus :smith:

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

deadly_pudding posted:

I highly recommend this guide for cleaning up bloated Sims 3 files:

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/How+to+use+S3PE+to+clean+up+your+save-game

Depending on which patch you're on/which expansions you have it might take regular upkeep, though. I tend to clear out unneeded data once per ~10 hours of play, but that often might be overkill. Keeps things running smoothly, though.
Some of the top offenders for slowing down TS3 are the memories system, the constantly-generating character icons, and the game's inability to clean up unused or damaged data on its own. S3PE and some nraas mods (ErrorTrap, Overwatch) can help a great deal with that.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Ok, out yourself, who here works at maxis. Someone on her talks about their toilet emporium from sims 2, and then it shows up in the sims4 expansion launch video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE6QsYaUgdk

Go to 0:37 to see specifically what I'm talking of.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I do not work at Maxis. I was going to make a toilet emporium anyways because I had one in Open for Business because of the producer's walkthrough way back when.

Nothing but toilets. And no bathroom. The showfloor is not a bathroom, damnit. Can't take a piss in the display models.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

IAmTheRad posted:

I do not work at Maxis. I was going to make a toilet emporium anyways because I had one in Open for Business because of the producer's walkthrough way back when.

Nothing but toilets. And no bathroom. The showfloor is not a bathroom, damnit. Can't take a piss in the display models.

A special ring of hell just for Sims :allears:

I'm interested in the detective stuff. I really enjoyed the private investigator profession from Sims 3 Ambitions.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm kind of surprised how low-key they have kept the addition of an alien planet with customizable aliens. It sounds like a feature on par with everything else in the expansion, but it's always mentioned only on the sidelines.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

deadly_pudding posted:

A special ring of hell just for Sims :allears:

I'm interested in the detective stuff. I really enjoyed the private investigator profession from Sims 3 Ambitions.

The modern art museum in Bridgeport (Late Night) had a wall urinall as an exhibit.
Needless to say that sometimes male sims shooed the other museum guests to take a piss in that urinal.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

steinrokkan posted:

I'm kind of surprised how low-key they have kept the addition of an alien planet with customizable aliens. It sounds like a feature on par with everything else in the expansion, but it's always mentioned only on the sidelines.

I'm buying the expansion mostly for aliens and I agree. Human/alien baby hybrids are my jam.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Mondlicht posted:

I'm buying the expansion mostly for aliens and I agree. Human/alien baby hybrids are my jam.

Not ghost/alien babies?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Ok, out yourself, who here works at maxis. Someone on her talks about their toilet emporium from sims 2, and then it shows up in the sims4 expansion launch video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE6QsYaUgdk

Go to 0:37 to see specifically what I'm talking of.

It's actually not a very unique idea. Still possible that Maxis staff is here but that's flimsy "proof".

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Apparently the fanbase is very excited about toilet emporiums. There was a SimsVIP interview with Grant and one of the other devs where she asked about how versatile your stores could be and used toilets as an example and Grant laughed and said something about how everyone wants to know about the toilet stores.

Also, there's a whole alien planet with customizable aliens? :staredog: I knew there were going to be aliens but I thought it would be more or less the same as previous games where you just kinda get abducted randomly and then something wacky happens. Didn't realize they were going all-out

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Apparently sex dungeons basements come out tomorrow.

http://www.thesims.com/news/basemen...39&sf36676927=1

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HardKase posted:

Apparently sex dungeons basements come out tomorrow.

http://www.thesims.com/news/basemen...39&sf36676927=1

Might have to reenact The Silence of the Lambs... Detective career, etc etc... Any foods in 4 implied to be Sims, ala Brain Jelly?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Warmachine posted:

Might have to reenact The Silence of the Lambs... Detective career, etc etc... Any foods in 4 implied to be Sims, ala Brain Jelly?

Well there's cowplant milk.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

mycot posted:

Well there's cowplant milk.

You can pretty much replicate the premise for A Machine for Pigs with enough cowplants and the party animal aspiration.

My game took a really dark turn.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Doesn't seem to be any patch notes for the update today that I can find. Curious what else is going on.

Just bought the Outdoor pack, seems pretty nice! Way better than the old stuff packs.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Patch notes are out! On top of basements there's another feature that's been brought up often in this thread - coworker/classmate relationships are back!

quote:

Fixed an issue where long names were being cutoff in the Genetics panel in Create-A-Sim.This should help anyone who has named their Sim “WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW” but could only see the name as “WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW”

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is it possible to make it so townies are only Sims I've created? I've made about 30 households, and I'm able to move them into every residence in both neighbourhoods, but I keep seeing other townies wandering around.

edit: Also, I just want to point out that the new patch broke two of the mods I'm using, one of which concerns aging and the other unlocking job-related clothing for Create-A-Sim.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 27, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

mycot posted:

Patch notes are out! On top of basements there's another feature that's been brought up often in this thread - coworker/classmate relationships are back!

Dude you forgot to mention:

quote:

Non-played Sims (sometimes referred to as townies) now have jobs!

The “Ask about Career” interaction has been updated to provide career information for Sims that you meet.
The career information discovered will be found in the Relationship panel. Hover over the Sim portrait to see their career, schedule, and, if they work at a venue (like the bartender), where they work.
Not quite story progression but still way better.

quote:

Sims have a handedness that is set by the game, yep, surprised me too. We fixed an issue where if that Sim was shared to the Gallery they could lose the information that told them which hand they preferred.
That... is actually a pretty cool detail.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 27, 2015

marjorie
May 4, 2014

So I've had two bugs since the patch that may or may not be related to the patch. 1st, my game wouldn't start, citing an outdated video card driver as the issue (my drivers were not out of date and my video card/drivers haven't changed since the last time I ran the game). After googling, I found a solution in turning off "Origin in game."

2nd bug I can't fix. Two days in a row now, my grade school-aged kids miss school and I can't make them go. I've tried both selecting the button from the career menu and click on the street and selecting "go to grade school." They've also been unoccupied (not doing a set task) at the time that the bus was scheduled to arrive. Restarted, same issue. I have very few mods running, but I'm going to try disabling one by one to see if that helps. Anyone have this issue before?

Fake edit: now one of my adult Sims won't go to work. What's happening?

E2: ok, so I got impatient and disabled all of the mods except the relationship decay one and it solved the problem of not allowing the Sims to go to work/school. But it's still acting wonky. I got a notification that a Sim received a promotion hours after he got home from work, and another Sim went from an indication of "22 hours till work" in the career panel to "you're late for work!" in the span of 2 hours. I know I didn't misread the time till work because I double checked it after reading the one hour till work warning notification for that Sim. So basically work-related stuff is all screwy. And now that I don't have the "stuff breaks less often" mod, I have 3 simultaneous broken items. Yay!

marjorie fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 27, 2015

Professor_Dog
Mar 6, 2012

marjorie posted:

So I've had two bugs since the patch that may or may not be related to the patch. 1st, my game wouldn't start, citing an outdated video card driver as the issue (my drivers were not out of date and my video card/drivers haven't changed since the last time I ran the game). After googling, I found a solution in turning off "Origin in game."

2nd bug I can't fix. Two days in a row now, my grade school-aged kids miss school and I can't make them go. I've tried both selecting the button from the career menu and click on the street and selecting "go to grade school." They've also been unoccupied (not doing a set task) at the time that the bus was scheduled to arrive. Restarted, same issue. I have very few mods running, but I'm going to try disabling one by one to see if that helps. Anyone have this issue before?

Fake edit: now one of my adult Sims won't go to work. What's happening?

I had this same issue earlier, for me the cause was for a mod that modified the choice options for random events for work/school. I guess any mod that might in some way affect school/work would break that.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Professor_Dog posted:

I had this same issue earlier, for me the cause was for a mod that modified the choice options for random events for work/school. I guess any mod that might in some way affect school/work would break that.

Yeah, I had the event mod too, so I'm sure that was the one. Hopefully the issues I talked about in my second edit were just the game recovering from the issues the mod introduced.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Speaking of weird bugs...

At least we know now that they're better off than they were before.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yay for other people converting Sims 3 objects for use in Sims 4. :peanut:

If anyone wants a link to a version with better thumbnails and proper item color tags it's here.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Oookay, I don't know if this is the cheat I used to allow a female couple to have genetic kids (cas.fulleditmode) rearing its ugly head, a quirk of the mods I'm using, or what, but one of the :barf: kids :barf: has a romance meter with one of his moms now for reasons I can't even comprehend, and it's creeping me out. :barf:

Just having the listing in the relationships menu made me trash the save.

Mods I'm using: More Traits, Enable debug cheats, relationship decay, and always testing. Not sure if any of those had a hand in what happened, but fair warning that it did happen out of loving nowhere, during one of those social interactions where I was paying more attention to another sim and didn't see what was going on.

Jesus christ.

:barf:

EDIT: This tutorial helped clean up the mess, but, seriously, jesus christ, what the hell.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 30, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Maybe it has to do with how kids are made? The only way I can think of that happening is Mom 1 is cloned to make Kid, and Kid takes genetic data from Mom 2. However, Kid's relationship data didn't get scrubbed from getting cloned by Mom 1, so they have the same romantic relationship Mom 1 has with Mom 2, and now you have yourself an incest family.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Segmentation Fault posted:

Maybe it has to do with how kids are made? The only way I can think of that happening is Mom 1 is cloned to make Kid, and Kid takes genetic data from Mom 2. However, Kid's relationship data didn't get scrubbed from getting cloned by Mom 1, so they have the same romantic relationship Mom 1 has with Mom 2, and now you have yourself an incest family.

Kids don't have romance options in their social menu. They're arguably, in game, not capable of forming those bonds. Maybe my game just got so complicated it transcended its coding and the boy kid developed an Oedipus complex on his own, but I used the cheats I mentioned in the edit to get rid of the whole thing because :barf:

EDIT: God dammit that didn't even work. Okay, back to a previous save.

VVV E2: uh...

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 30, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Old Boot posted:

Kids don't have romance options in their social menu. They're arguably, in game, not capable of forming those bonds. Maybe my game just got so complicated it transcended its coding and the boy kid developed an Oedipus complex on his own, but I used the cheats I mentioned in the edit to get rid of the whole thing because :barf:

Try reproducing the Oedipus family, and upload it to the gallery. I wonder if the incest part will save when the sims are exported.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

That's a really weird bug.

But onto other things, the expansion comes out tomorrow. As well the basegame is $20 off on Amazon right now.

And I just spotted this mod. It claims to add story progression.

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=551680

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 30, 2015

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
If you use a Korean VPN doesn't get to work unlock in 15 minutes?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
The Sims 4 Megathread - and now you have yourself an incest family

Unlikely but does anyone know of any deals on the expansion?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Some people got the game early. I just got a notification that LGR posted a new lot on the exchange. It uses Get to Work items.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
There's a post on /r/thesims where there are some instructions on VPNing to Korea for earlier access. Not purchase which can get you banned, just "connecting in" Korea to Origin which is A-OK.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
edit: Never mind, user error.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 30, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
For whatever reason Origin games unlock a day early in South Korea. The same thing happened with Battlefield Hardline.

Old Boot posted:

VVV E2: uh...

I'm not interested in the incest poo poo for dirty reasons or anything, I just think it's a hilarious bug that's fascinating at the technical level.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
I know they're having sales for the base game, but when do you guys think they'll start having sales on the expansion (yes I know it just came out today)? I'm trying to hold off on buying this expansion by telling myself it'll be cheaper down the line...

It's tough having one side of yourself saying "I have a huge backlog of games, there is no reason for you to buy this right now" and another side saying "yes yes buy it now, have your scientist sim go to another planet and get an alien wife."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Looselybased posted:

I know they're having sales for the base game, but when do you guys think they'll start having sales on the expansion (yes I know it just came out today)? I'm trying to hold off on buying this expansion by telling myself it'll be cheaper down the line...

It's tough having one side of yourself saying "I have a huge backlog of games, there is no reason for you to buy this right now" and another side saying "yes yes buy it now, have your scientist sim go to another planet and get an alien wife."

I'm more concerned with the latest patch breaking my save file so that all of my played households, even the bachelors, have two new babies living there.