Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I wish I could do underground power lines.

There's a mod for that.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409251698

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

deadly_pudding posted:

You can mod in a bunch of buildings you like and demolish the eco-scandinavian ones as they pop up. Until they give us a good way to manage architecture themes, though, the game's "look" is pretty much eco-scandinavian Ikea dreamscape.

Then I shall bide my time...I am a patient man. In the meantime, I can watch my subjects build their little sustainable domicile-cubes and plot their eventual mental breakdown as I pollute their fjords with neon lights and flaming natural gas pressure eruptions.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I... really need to download that autosave mod.

gently caress you, Windows Update, gently caress you. :suicide:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So how do you guys go about planning city layouts when starting?

I've been trying to figure out how to go about it that isn't just square grids because they look awful, but I usually find what I come up with just doesn't work very well or looks crap and I get a bit disheartened an hour or two in and reload, usually taking notes of what I hosed up and how, and how to go about it. Some of it I think stems from the opening road coming from the highway and feeling a bit bunched up next to it, if I push further out it feels like I run out of money too fast.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

BallsFalls posted:

For all the uncreative mayors out there that are unable to think of names for your cities and districts aside from Dickbutt Phase I through XIV, this is what I use

http://www.mithrilandmages.com/utilities/CityNames.php
I got "Weiner" and "Licking" in the same page of results. Score.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Got the randomized business name generator. This is one of the first ones I got.

Uh...

Yeah this city is going to end in tears.

Fans fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 26, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fans posted:

Got the randomized business name generator. This is one of the first ones I got.

Uh...

dont complain it keeps education levels down

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

From all the actual testing people have done there's no downside to education. What's hosed up is the demand system, it doesn't generate enough residential and wants way too many jobs. Regardless of education a worker will work any job, they simply prioritize the highest education job first. The reason all your farms are getting unemployment is that there are not enough workers and some hidden weirdness in how people pick jobs.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

I got a height map of my city and tried to see if I could do it one better. Not bad for a first try I guess? I'm making a ton of money every week, like 28k+ or so.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

drat it, backflow is a bitch. Poopmageddon struck while I wasn't even looking.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 26, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Lots of people get owned by poopmageddon, but has anyone else gotten owned by placing a landfill next to a water tower? Because I sure did, early on in one of my cities. I couldn't even figure out what happened til I had already scrapped the city and started over :downs:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I put a water tower in an industrial area, which is almost the same as the dump. Whoops.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So how does healthcare work? Does it make people live longer? I've literally never once seen a hospital or clinic with anyone in them. Is this because all my roads are green and for health coverage and thus everyone is at 100% preventative healthcare and can never get sick or???

I seem to mostly just have to plop a million schools, hospitals, police and fire just to get buildings to upgrade rather than any actual need for their services.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

I've been trying to figure out how to go about it that isn't just square grids because they look awful, but I usually find what I come up with just doesn't work very well or looks crap and I get a bit disheartened an hour or two in and reload, usually taking notes of what I hosed up and how, and how to go about it. Some of it I think stems from the opening road coming from the highway and feeling a bit bunched up next to it, if I push further out it feels like I run out of money too fast.
Its not really about futureproofing. You're deliberately hobbled from the get go so you're not painting by numbers and challenged by expansion. Get used to demolishing old parts of town and making better versions, and having to empty out that landfill where you want offices to some day go. Put on cheats if you want to paint a pretty city immediately, but the gameplay involves the bulldozer as more than just an undo key.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Also its pretty interesting and fun evolving your cities as they grow and their needs progress. I just completed dezoning and moving my cities entire industrial district to a brand new industrial park which has better highway access, shipping and rail links. The old industrial district is going to be gentrified and converted to park land and house a new university campus and leisure spaces. Progress! :killdozer: :killdozer: :killdozer:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Baronjutter posted:

What's hosed up is the demand system, it doesn't generate enough residential and wants way too many jobs.

Tell that to my new town. Fuckers don't ever want anything but more houses. I'm starting to wonder why that is. Might change the name of the town to Fucksville because that seems to be the only thing going on.

I don't know if I'll get Dense Residential before I have to either expand across the water or start re-zoning my commercial district. :eng99:

Yeah and I guess I'm Bad At Pretty Cities. Maybe once I actually know what I'm doing I can work on that.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I wish I could do underground power lines.

There's a mod for that.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Can someone link the business name generator? Steam is doing the weird thing where the search goes completely useless.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

simosimo posted:

Can someone link the business name generator? Steam is doing the weird thing where the search goes completely useless.

This one has a bunch of different generators, is that the one you meant?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fans posted:

Yeah this city is going to end in tears.
So, does that mean they only assemble basic fedoras or the basic assembly of fedoras? Is there an advanced fedora assembly somewhere in the city?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Flipswitch posted:

I used to make griddy ugly cities but then I started playing maps where you simply can't make square grids because they're too mountainous. Passes and Jackson Bay are two good challenging maps to try.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Poil posted:

So, does that mean they only assemble basic fedoras or the basic assembly of fedoras? Is there an advanced fedora assembly somewhere in the city?

But no one's modded in Reddit's Headquarters yet! :v:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.781318,-122.395844,3a,75y,166.45h,112.82t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s80olP6lJh2FaEeA4tMAwcg!2e0!6m1!1e1?hl=en
Wouldn't be hard, it's a pretty bland building.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ad by Khad posted:

I used to make griddy ugly cities but then I started playing maps where you simply can't make square grids because they're too mountainous. Passes and Jackson Bay are two good challenging maps to try.

Grids are beautiful. Why does this thread hate grids?

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Is there some trick to getting crime? I would like to get that 50% crime building, but even with 60k people and no police my crime hovers around 20%.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Unemployment. Start knocking down commercial and industrial buildings so people get laid off and have all the time in the world to plot crimes.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I haven't tried this yet, but earlier in the thread people were saying that you could build parks and then delete the roads to those parks in order to raise crime.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
The underground power lines mod kinda blows. Way, way too much upkeep cost.

$9 per cell is a lot worse than the default power lines, which are half a citybuck per.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

there's probably something wrong with me, because i see this and want to try it

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

TheQat posted:

I'm not quite sure what is going on in that image but I want to as well.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
looks like a huge grid of 6-lane roads with 1x1 spaces in between

vuorikissa
May 1, 2007

simosimo posted:

This one, I think: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413792924

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Control Volume posted:

dont complain it keeps education levels down

It is weird that keeping your city education-free is one of the bigger problems in Skylines... throw an elementary school anywhere on the planet and suddenly all your cims are too good to make fish sticks.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

My college kids can make fish sticks or they can fish sticks out of the poop lake.

My industry got enough workers. (Zone more residential, ignore RCI meter)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Domattee posted:

Zone more residential, ignore RCI meter

It's there as a guide, really, nothing set in stone.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

The City Statistics graph, which is buried in the pause menu for some reason, will give you more exact figures to work with for residents/jobs/demand

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Chewbot posted:

It is weird that keeping your city education-free is one of the bigger problems in Skylines... throw an elementary school anywhere on the planet and suddenly all your cims are too good to make fish sticks.

Eh, they can pay off their fancy college loans working at the fishtick factory. :v:

Also try to get your industry upgraded, high level industry actually employ a decent amount of educated workers! Though they also employ plenty of peons.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Okay, I got this game and am generally in love with it but the 'Proper Hardness' mod is making me cry. I'm not even playing with it on the 'hard' setting, just the 'normal' setting of the mod which is supposed to not even increase build costs. Not only THAT, but I've also been playing with the "start with 1 million $" mod to take the tedium out of the early progression game. But for three cities in a row, the same thing has happened: I get to a population around 7000-8000, and then find myself suddenly trapped in an inescapable financial death-spiral. What's driving me crazy about this is that there are no major unmet needs or "problem bubbles" popping up. There are only two abandoned buildings in the whole drat town, happiness is positive, the RCI gauge is satisfied, my industries are operating, traffic problems are minor at worst... and yet I've apparently maneuvered myself into a position where the game is unwinnable. There is no overflowing poop, no garbage explosion, I cut service budgets to the minimum sustainable amount without causing problem bubbles - I still have about 16k in expenses to 12k revenue. Raising taxes to a level that closes the budget shortfall makes the city rapidly implode into a post-apocalyptic wasteland within a matter of weeks. This has happened almost the exact same way for three games in a row. I'm strongly considering uninstalling the 'proper hardness' mod at this point and going vanilla, since I can only assume that there is a single 'perfect' city layout which is just barely survive this punishing difficulty and the mod-maker balanced it around that. I'd hate to loving see what the mod looks like on "hard".

Here's a picture of my city for reference.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Inspector_666 posted:

Because the only character you can give your city is the layout of the roads. Hopefully one day there will be more to it, where one person's mostly-grid city look completely different from an others due to building massing, architecture, street styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TheQat posted:

You'll have like, no traffic problems. But the game doesn't like it when that situation gets too big. The city I made like that I don't think even got to 50k but that particular setup caused the game to freak out and make entire sections of the city just not show up on screen at certain camera angles.