Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rain Temple posted:

Ah yeah, that's what I was just thinking after I posted that - I can't imagine kids getting anything out of it either. I guess places like that only get new customers and not repeat customers. I can't see anyone walking into a place that did that if they actually advertised the fact either, I guess that's what I'm trying to say. It just seems like a feature that's specifically designed to detract business. Then again, so do a lot of the things in the Dumb Moves In Marketing thread, granted.

I think the problem is that some parents think that their kids want it, even if the kids secretly hate it, since that was the case for me. When I was young, my parents would always take me to some place where they sang for your birthday and I hated it. I told them later on that I hated it and they acted really surprised and confused, and it came out eventually that they didn't even like it, but they thought I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Adults often think that other adults want this too, or enjoy embarrassing them.

I'd take birthday songs every night over the lame mariachi guy/band in every Mexican restaurant who shows up to your table uninvited.

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

Rain Temple posted:

I always figured Starbucks in America must do their coffee totally differently from the way the Starbucks here do theirs since I've seen folk on SA in the past saying they'd take a Starbucks coffee over a McDonalds coffee, given the choice.

This is a bit like saying you'd rather drink a glass of piss than eat a poo poo sandwich. Starbucks isn't good in the US either, but McD's coffee is its own special level of terrible.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Henchman of Santa posted:

Adults often think that other adults want this too, or enjoy embarrassing them.

I'd take birthday songs every night over the lame mariachi guy/band in every Mexican restaurant who shows up to your table uninvited.
My friends have done the thing before where they'll get the birthday sing along if you're out for a birthday dinner with anyone. I've consequently stopped letting other people plan birthday dinners and just pick somewhere at the last minute instead.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You dumb fucks. Getting servers to sing to kids on their birthday is about embarrassing the poo poo out of the kid and it's one of the perks of being a parent.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Rain Temple posted:

Also the singing and dancing thing is blowing my mind. Even if it's just children's restaurants, how do parents not cringe and feel uncomfortable and awkward the whole time? How do these places ever get any customers if they do that poo poo? Then again, I'm an uptight Brit, so I like the the idea of a smile and even a bit of banter from staff, but the idea of trying to eat a meal where someone is dancing or ordering ice-cream where the server is singing makes my skin want to slide right off my body.

It's Fun(tm)! Marketing studies show that people who choose TGI-Bullshits over nearby Pappy O'Shittigans are looking for a relaxing good time (tm) with their friends and a Fun (tm) atmosphere accentuated by the systematic degradation (tm) of our employees' dignity.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

walrusman posted:

It's Fun(tm)! Marketing studies show that people who choose TGI-Bullshits over nearby Pappy O'Shittigans are looking for a relaxing good time (tm) with their friends and a Fun (tm) atmosphere accentuated by the systematic degradation (tm) of our employees' dignity.

Bona Festa! What a joyous day!
Life's good fortune
Is sure to come your way!
Come on, sit back, and just relax
Time to enjoy your special day!
We're so glad you came to celebrate
With us today! Hey!

(Olive Garden's old song, I was a server there 10 years ago)

At all of the restaurants I've waited tables at, they all had their own lovely song because singing Happy Birthday requires royalties. So pay a low fee for some schmuck to generate a crappy tune. Additionally, whenever you had a birthday at your table and needed to round up fellow servers to sing with you, it was a loving ghost town. You had to stand there and beg people. At Olive Garden we were supposed to have at least 5 people come to the table to sing with you while Grandma looks really uncomfortable and the chubby grandson keeps staring at the cake that you're holding and dad won't stop taking photos of everyone. When you're here, you're family!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Saddest Rhino posted:

lol how big a child are you

I am literally giant baby.

Seriously, though, I don't mind noise at all if I'm in a place where it is appropriate. You don't bring screaming children into restaurants that don't have a slide or a ball-pit, and I find it similarly intrusive to suddenly have a bunch of people yelling at the top of their lungs while I'm eating a steak.

It's not the end of the world or anything, but I think it's pretty stupid, that's all. I don't really lose any sleep over it or anything, but you know, internet hyperbole.

Tiggum posted:

Every restaurant? Do you only go to child-friendly chains or is this actually something that real restaurants are doing?

Pretty much every chain restaurant. Obviously not fine dining establishments with $50 pasta dishes and $80 steaks, but any place that average people go on an average week.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
There's a dirt cheap Mexican place in Milwaukee (Conejitos), and the last time I was there they did the birthday song and dance. They literally turned off all the lights in the dining room and blared a song through the speakers for literally at least 4 or 5 minutes. It was weird, and people just wanted the lights back on so they could eat.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Mouse Dresser posted:

At all of the restaurants I've waited tables at, they all had their own lovely song because singing Happy Birthday requires royalties. So pay a low fee for some schmuck to generate a crappy tune.

There was some big chain I was at a few months back (hell if can remember which one...Cheesecake Factory maybe?) that actually sang Happy Birthday to someone. It blew my mind.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

mamelon posted:

I'm guessing from context that Joe's doesn't actually offer crab?

That reminds me of a cheap sandwich place near my old apartment. Let me paint a picture of "cheap" without using the food as an example: they had framed puzzles on the walls.

The ordering counter featured a large photo of hot coffee in a mug, so one day I asked for some.

"We don't sell coffee."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1lNjlGgzQE

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/26/are-you-lovin-it-the-first-official-mcdonalds-clothing-and-homeware-collection-has-landed-5121192/

quote:

You might be tempted to think this is a wind-up, all the products are available to buy online at the Big Mac shop.

The launch was, however, part of a global day of stunts by the brand called imlovingit24 – thought to be an attempt to get customers to fall in love with Maccy D’s again.

imlovingit24 didn't really go down well.

http://gothamist.com/2015/03/24/ol_gil_mcdonald_gets_a_lick.php

quote:

The United States was only #blessed with one event: a free concert in Los Angeles tonight with recording artist Ne-Yo, who'll be debuting a new song "crowdsourced" by people on social media. If it's one thing America needed to attain joy, it's the rhetoric of internet trolls set to music. It could be worse: in Sweden, the national ski team was compelled to put on a three-hour fashion show wearing gear emblazoned with Big Macs.

"I'm lovin" how disgusted those models look.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
For once they have diarrhea on the outside of their clothes

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I get it at kids' places to sing and dance, and yeah, its about embarrassing the kids. But who thinks its a good idea? Who is like "Alright, lets all interrupt our work day to sing to these guys and possibly LOSE more of a tip due to the delay!"

Its like the lettuce under a steak or door hanger advertising, or gag ties. Literally no one wants that poo poo, yet collectively we as a society, still don't stop doing it.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Jastiger posted:

I get it at kids' places to sing and dance, and yeah, its about embarrassing the kids. But who thinks its a good idea? Who is like "Alright, lets all interrupt our work day to sing to these guys and possibly LOSE more of a tip due to the delay!"

My mom and aunts go nuts over this poo poo. Tacky, sentimental poo poo is nourishment for old white ladies. Case in point, they're the only people I've ever met who don't find Christmas carolers awkward and annoying.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I always thought that the embarrassing song was the price some people were willing to pay for the free piece of cake/scoop of ice cream/sopapilla/whatever some restaurants give you if they find out it's your birthday.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I was out getting yakiniku with a friend at the local Gyu-kaku and there was a birthday song there. At a yakiniku place. With rhythmic clapping. :psyduck:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jastiger posted:

Yes, that is precisely what the servers say, because as the ones doing the singing the servers obviously enjoy it and must be the ones who chose for singing to be a thing

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

FutonForensic posted:

They don't. They cringe and feel uncomfortable and awkward the whole time.

I don't think many kids enjoy it, either. I've definitely seen a child burst into tears from all the attention on more than one occasion. :(

When I was a kid and I was misbehaving at a restaurant my mom would threaten to tell the server that it was my birthday. That got me to straighten my act pretty quick. :haw:

kazil posted:

You dumb fucks. Getting servers to sing to kids on their birthday is about embarrassing the poo poo out of the kid and it's one of the perks of being a parent.

A parent who doesn't do the singing and dancing to embarrass their kids themselves is a shameful parent.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I used to travel a ton with the same group of coworkers and you didn't ever dare to leave your seat at dinner lest you return to a slice of cake and a bunch of singing.

Rain Temple
Apr 29, 2008

ECIFIRCAS KIMSOK

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

This is a bit like saying you'd rather drink a glass of piss than eat a poo poo sandwich. Starbucks isn't good in the US either, but McD's coffee is its own special level of terrible.

It's not like saying that at all though. McDonalds coffee in the UK (as far as I've experienced it or anyone I know has) tastes just like regular coffee-machine coffee. Not posh coffee shop quality, but perfectly decent vending machine coffee. Starbucks, on the other hand, is almost undrinkable. Hence my theory that McD's coffee is made differently in the US for whatever reason that might be. I'm sure someone else from the UK will post that they've tried McDonalds coffee here too and it's poo poo and then we'll know my theory is a load of bollocks and I've just got no discerning taste.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Rain Temple posted:

It's not like saying that at all though. McDonalds coffee in the UK (as far as I've experienced it or anyone I know has) tastes just like regular coffee-machine coffee. Not posh coffee shop quality, but perfectly decent vending machine coffee. Starbucks, on the other hand, is almost undrinkable. Hence my theory that McD's coffee is made differently in the US for whatever reason that might be. I'm sure someone else from the UK will post that they've tried McDonalds coffee here too and it's poo poo and then we'll know my theory is a load of bollocks and I've just got no discerning taste.

I'm not a coffee professional or anything and I will drink a lot of lovely, flavourless crap if it's hot and has caffeine, but McD black coffee is pretty decent and has saved my butt on multiple road trips. Their mocha sucks though.

I love those Costa vending machines you get in petrol stations these days. Nothing like being able to get a pint of black coffee every fifty miles of a tour. Being able to guarantee that it's fresh and identical to the one you had an hour ago is just a bonus.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Trent posted:

Pretty much every chain restaurant. Obviously not fine dining establishments with $50 pasta dishes and $80 steaks, but any place that average people go on an average week.

Are there no normal restaurants where you live? Is it a choice between Pizza Hut and paying $60?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tiggum posted:

Are there no normal restaurants where you live? Is it a choice between Pizza Hut and paying $60?

In my experience, choosing between awfully kitschy chain restaurants and legitimate businesses trying to make good food is difficult. Maybe there's some magical places in America where the two don't compete, but I haven't been there.

Obviously the dude was joking a little about the prices, though.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Go to Red Lobster and spend $35 on some lobster out of the microwave.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Tiggum posted:

Honestly in many places in america with a pop of under ~25k this is a real issue. Your choice is between Chili's, Subway and a terrible place that is only still in business because sometimes people get really tired of the Subway and decide to spend two dollars more at that place where the police chiefs DUI-happy daughter desperately tries to make some terrible hoagie she saw Rachel Ray make one time when she was waiting to get patched up in the ER a town over.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Small town america sounds like hell.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

PhazonLink posted:

Small town america sounds like hell.

It does also depend on the small town. Where I live there are a lot of little towns with jack poo poo to do but they've all got at least one mom and pop place within 30 minutes drive (which around here is nothing) that serves decent, if simple, food for fairly cheap.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Huntersoninski posted:

It does also depend on the small town. Where I live there are a lot of little towns with jack poo poo to do but they've all got at least one mom and pop place within 30 minutes drive (which around here is nothing) that serves decent, if simple, food for fairly cheap.

And it can be the reverse in some suburbs, where the only choices you have are chain restaurants or $60 and up a head (or the crappy hot dog shack across the railroad tracks that has gotten overpriced as it has gotten popular), and where a 30 minute drive either means you're in another county or in the commercial cluster of chains depending on the day's (or hour's) traffic patterns.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
And every single town off the freeways will have at least one mom and pop greasy spoon diner, that will make you contemplate on existence as you ponder how they managed to make toast in bacon grease. They won't even ask you if you want coffee, because you want coffee.

I've never been anywhere in middle America that had a chain place that didn't have twice as many mom and pops. It's almost always comfort food, but whats better when you are on the road then comfort food? Something that doesn't cause gastronomic distress? pshaw.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Having to drive half an hour to get anything sounds terrible.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Chas McGill posted:

Having to drive half an hour to get anything sounds terrible.

Well I did say within 30 minutes, and it depends on what you want. If you want a chain or just whatever your town has, there's no reason to drive that long. Like, in my home town the best non-chains were a diner and a pizza place. Don't want that, drive 15 minutes to the next town over, they have a good italian place and a cafe with soups and sandwiches. No? Another 10 minutes will get you to a different place. It's all straight shots of flat, decent road, so it goes quickly. I can think of a few towns that had literally nothing, but they're usually less than 20 minutes from something, which, again, depending on where you live could be a problem or it could be no big deal.

Those towns do suck tho

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lap-Lem posted:

I've never been anywhere in middle America that had a chain place that didn't have twice as many mom and pops.

You're thinking about actual towns, not just lovely exurbs with oversized cardboard houses for people to park their oversized SUVs that they commute on the oversized roads with.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Lap-Lem posted:

And every single town off the freeways will have at least one mom and pop greasy spoon diner, that will make you contemplate on existence as you ponder how they managed to make toast in bacon grease. They won't even ask you if you want coffee, because you want coffee.

I've never been anywhere in middle America that had a chain place that didn't have twice as many mom and pops. It's almost always comfort food, but whats better when you are on the road then comfort food? Something that doesn't cause gastronomic distress? pshaw.

My last job involved a LOT of travel to small towns in northern NY and New England, and most of these "mom and pop" places have the worst God damned food...I'd usually rather go to a loving Applebee's or Chili's if there was one (often there wasn't, because these are seriously tiny towns.) Bland and muishy is the name of the game, which is why it makes sense that most of their clientele are senior citizens who can gum down the food and not have it upset their digestion.

I'm not saying that I need some gourmet, artisinal burger that costs $35, but I'd also rather it not be literally the exact same un-salted, un-seasoned Sysco-brand frozen patty I was served in my high school cafeteria...with the exact same disgusting, soggy*, crinkle-cut fries, to boot.

*Soggy except for that one fry that is so overcooked it's basically a fry-shaped rock.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yeah for every good local place there's at least ten like that - and unfortunately the trick is living in the area til you figure it out. Like, in the cluster of small towns where I grew up there were probably four or five actually good locally owned places and probably over a dozen really lovely ones that were constantly closing/reopening as something else/closing/reopening/etc. And if you weren't from the area you'd have no idea.

E: to be fair though, for being boring and tiny there were some nearby-ish tourist events so there would be some decent stuff to keep people coming through.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I live in a town of 200,000 and the closest place I can think of that doesn't pose the possibility of a birthday song, but also isn't fast food, is the $40/steak place about fifteen minutes away. There really is no middle ground sometimes. The first place I can think of that is reasonable food, but not a chain, is 20 minutes as long as there is literally no traffic. Otherwise I'm looking at 30 minutes minimum, and the backs of a lot of lovely SUVs

Welcome to America, this poo poo is real and it is terrible.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Oh man

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Maybe your town just sucks? In my area there's a polish pasty shop that does it all hand made that's open 11-7, a chinese place that's super tiny and has dirt cheap, good food and 50 cent cans of soda, and a all organic taco joint that's packed out to the street at lunch. That's not counting the local pizza joint. I work third shift, but on my days off, its a challenge to pick what i wanna eat sometimes that's like, 10 minutes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I honestly thought I was in the First World Problems thread until I reached the bottom of the page and saw the title again