Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So far my Max is being pretty bumbling and loving up a lot, including the big thing this episode, I'm going to see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

So what happens if you blame Jefferson for Kate's attempted suicide?

Also, am I alone in that I REALLY don't like Chloe anymore?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Roman Reigns posted:

You're not, she's awful. You take 10 seconds to answer a phone call from your friend who's going through some awful poo poo right now and she gets all pissed about it, what the gently caress

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Roman Reigns posted:

Yeah, she's starting to be super clingy and what both Joyce and David say about her are totally right. I have a good feeling that its all intentional though, they've mentioned how Chloe has been unable to move on from the past, unlike Max and Joyce, so she still acts like a petulant teenager because she's refused to take responsibility and grow up. I also have feeling Rachel is also going to end up not being much of a good person as well. The theory that Rachel also had time powers and was using them for her own gain by manipulating people like Max can do really could back this up.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I have an understanding for Chloe being a bit of a gently caress-up. She's a teenage girl who went through some trauma growing up. Having spent several years as a teenage girl myself, I can say that I was at times a petty, self-centered bitch who started drama just for fun and thought I was invincible. Also I might be biased because I love her tattoo.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I mean I get that, I've known my fair share of Chloes in my life, but jesus 10 seconds to answer a phonecall from someone who is obviously going through some issues, and shes ready to reach through the laptop and cut my balls off. I'm also not too keen on her wanting to keep using Max's powers despite the fact its clearly giving her migraines and nosebleeds.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Eh, she doesn't know what Kate's going through. I don't know why Max doesn't stand up for her on that, definitely, a quick "She's going through a lot like right now and I wanna support her" mighta helped but I feel like the entire point is Max has no spine.

As for the migraines I don't blame her for not realizing it. Max doesn't tell her, and because of the time resets, she doesnt actually know how much Max has been using it. From her perspective she's suddenly psychic and knows the answer on the first try.

Don't get me wrong, I think she's really selfish and arrogant as some people who react after trauma are, but those 2 points didn't bother me.

Caros
May 14, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Eh, she doesn't know what Kate's going through. I don't know why Max doesn't stand up for her on that, definitely, a quick "She's going through a lot like right now and I wanna support her" mighta helped but I feel like the entire point is Max has no spine.

As for the migraines I don't blame her for not realizing it. Max doesn't tell her, and because of the time resets, she doesnt actually know how much Max has been using it. From her perspective she's suddenly psychic and knows the answer on the first try.

Don't get me wrong, I think she's really selfish and arrogant as some people who react after trauma are, but those 2 points didn't bother me.

Chalk it up to the same reason why you can't keep rewinding time to convince Chloe to get the gently caress out of dodge when knifeguy shows up. Or do anything differently than chose from one of two binary choices. Its an issue of game mechanics intruding into immersion out of necessity.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015

Roman Reigns posted:

IIRC the principal tells him he can't represent go to that photo contest

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Chalk what up? I'm talking about character flaws.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I wonder what all the different little ending clips are? I saw a .gif somewhere on tumblr of a memorial shrine thing for Kate if she dies, so I wonder if anything else changes according to the choices you make.

I saved Kate, blamed Nathan, and got him suspended, and saw Kate in a hospital room with Get Well Soon balloons, Wells talking to Mr. Jefferson through his car window before Mr. Jefferson drives away, Victoria crying alone before Nathan comes into the room super creepily, and then a bunch of other stuff that didn't really seem to relate to endgame choices so I won't bother repeating it.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I think it's worth remembering that Chloe feels kind of backstabbed by Max never calling or anything for years. She's back, but Chloe is probably going to be a bit clingy and concerned that she's going to get ditched again (you know, right after her current best friend disappeared).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
These girls really don't have any survival instinct. They laid down on traintracks and when they barely survived that due to some godly powers, they decide to walk all the way back. On the tracks. I mean, is that normal? I never even stepped on tracks besides at crossings.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I had a pretty good chuckle at the vast, gigantic majority that blamed Nathan at the end, cause holy poo poo gently caress that kid.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Air is lava! posted:

These girls really don't have any survival instinct. They laid down on traintracks and when they barely survived that due to some godly powers, they decide to walk all the way back. On the tracks. I mean, is that normal? I never even stepped on tracks besides at crossings.

In high school, I rode in the back of a truck standing like I was surfing. Then I fell off and tore the skin off my legs. My friends drove me to my house to patch up...as I was standing in the back trying to surf it still.

I wouldn't say its "normal"...but these kinds of things do happen.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

RuBisCO posted:

I had a pretty good chuckle at the vast, gigantic majority that blamed Nathan at the end, cause holy poo poo gently caress that kid.

With the choices I made, if I blamed Nathan somehow I would have been suspended (which sadly doesn't seem too far off from reality). So I had to settle for David and even then I didn't have much of a case for that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Air is lava! posted:

I was so drat tense during the whole 'melancholy bonding session on the train tracks scene'. I mean, goddamn, when I was searching for bottles there was a freight train going through there every couple of minutes.

I stood, arms folded, over Chloe as she got ground into a fine paste a couple of times purely on principle.

Seriously, given that I had to use time powers to save her life twice in the space of a couple of hours it's a miracle she hasn't blundered into death already.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I was so drat tense during the whole 'melancholy bonding session on the train tracks scene'. I mean, goddamn, when I was searching for bottles there was a freight train going through there every couple of minutes.

I stood, arms folded, over Chloe as she got ground into a fine paste a couple of times purely on principle.

Seriously, given that I had to use time powers to save her life twice in the space of a couple of hours it's a miracle she hasn't blundered into death already.

Chloe seems weirdly death prone. I hope we don't have to save her again in episode 3.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

Chloe seems weirdly death prone. I hope we don't have to save her again in episode 3.

I kind of wish there were more expansive dialogue options. I want to be able to sit down over a cup of coffee with Chloe at the end of this and soberly lay out exactly how many times she's gruesomely died in the last couple of days. Maybe with photo references.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
Hmmm not much really happened in ep 2 I feel. Looks like next one will be good though.

My guts telling me the guy with the dog is Chloe's dad but possibly wrong.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

In the scene with the gun if you shoot the bumper the bullet ricochets and hits her in the gut. She panics and goes "Rewind! Rewind!" It's actually kind of horrifying/funny. I'm really glad they put that in there.

SkyEnzo posted:

My guts telling me the guy with the dog is Chloe's dad but possibly wrong.

It's Frank. The guy who you can choose to shoot or not. It's mentioned somewhere that he has a dog.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

D_W posted:

It's Frank. The guy who you can choose to shoot or not. It's mentioned somewhere that he has a dog.

No it's not - why would they be so cagey about showing a guy's face so soon after a dramatic scene centring around him?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

No it's not - why would they be so cagey about showing a guy's face so soon after a dramatic scene centring around him?

It wasn't? I mean it's very clearly Frank

It's even the same dog and outfit:
He's just wearing a baseball cap now.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

D_W posted:

It wasn't? I mean it's very clearly Frank

It's even the same dog and outfit:
He's just wearing a baseball cap now.

Ah, maybe you're right in that case!

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 26, 2015

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
In quotes, images show through spoiler tags, in case you want to edit that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
His RV is parked outside the cafe. You can go try to walk over there and his dog will bark at you. He's wearing the same hat he has on in the cinematic and it looks like he's trying to nap or something. Also the cafe in general is a far larger scene than you'd think. You can talk to everyone in the cafe except two people, and there's three people outside, two of which have fairly large conversation trees for a one-off character.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

RuBisCO posted:

I blamed the art teacher because he was annoying me (5% masterclass baby!), also, is it possible to save Kate? I didn't want to just to see how her dying plays out, but I want to know if you can. I am playing a different game to everyone else. They are playing Life is Strange. I am playing Life is poo poo.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
I blamed Madsen for Kate after I saved her then felt like a total dick when the end sequence showed Madsen having a sad moment with Chloe's Mom (he probably got fired) then I remembered previously finding the letter saying they were struggling with payments on their bills :smith:, I just didn't want to blame Nathan without proof because when I finally destroy that piece of poo poo he's not going to know what hit him. Kinda wishing I had gone with the teacher now though because it seems he is affected the least by being blamed and he was being a dick to her right before everything went down.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Really happy to hear that Kate can either die or live, though I question how much her living will matter if she stays in the hospital the whole time. She died on my playthrough and it was a masterstroke by the devs to take away the time traveling powers because you really get used to having them as a crutch for two episodes and then suddenly it's taken away during one of the times you needed it most. It made the whole scene really tense and I was genuinely sad that I couldn't save Kate.

Luckily my decisions did lead to that motherfucker Nathan being suspended. It didn't feel right putting the blame on Madsen at all. He obviously helped push Kate toward suicide, but none of this would've happened (presumably) if it wasn't for Nathan. Though who knows, the whole story doesn't fully add up with him. Something weird is totally going on.. Also goddamn, this game makes me feel for any girl that has to deal with a "friendzoned" dude. My god. I rejected Warren's poo poo at every chance I could. I turned down his Planet of the Apes bullshit. I watched his experiment blow up in his face then didn't help him figure it out. Every time Warren showed up I rolled my eyes and I honestly got kind of pissed when there was no option at the end to push him away when he put his arm around me during the eclipse. BRO. Take a hint. Max likes skater boys OKAY? I hope I'm not alone in not putting up with that nonsense.

It SOUNDS like, from reading this thread, that actions are actually having a consequence and making the story somewhat different for everyone. Hopefully this trend keeps happening and the story REALLY becomes different beasts for each player. Also I really hope we get to actually control stopping time in the future, instead of having that be just a temporary thing. I thought that part was so cool Kate's suicide aside.

Can anything happen with the woman who doesn't want to be late for the bus and the hobo with the lottery ticket?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Giving the ending a little more thought I think I'm going to go back and change my choice from Nathan to the teacher. I don't think he should get away clean after apparently rejecting Kate when she came to him for help (and prompting her suicide attempt). That's a pretty lovely thing to do. As much as I dislike Nathan, making a move on him now with minimal proof after already accusing him of the bathroom incident isn't going to end well. And I'm starting to have doubts about his involvement with Kate.

Macaluso posted:

I hope I'm not alone in not putting up with that nonsense.

Nah I'm the same way. I get that hes supposed to be awkward and stuff but stop blowing up my phone you little poo poo.

Then again maybe the twist is that hes the serial killer all along so it could be intentional?

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 26, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Can anything happen with the woman who doesn't want to be late for the bus and the hobo with the lottery ticket?

I want nothing to happen to the dude with the lotto ticket, I want him to get his million dolla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3cjyHctjo

Another Person fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 26, 2015

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Also goddamn, this game makes me feel for any girl that has to deal with a "friendzoned" dude. My god. I rejected Warren's poo poo at every chance I could. I turned down his Planet of the Apes bullshit. I watched his experiment blow up in his face then didn't help him figure it out. Every time Warren showed up I rolled my eyes and I honestly got kind of pissed when there was no option at the end to push him away when he put his arm around me during the eclipse. BRO. Take a hint. Max likes skater boys OKAY? I hope I'm not alone in not putting up with that nonsense.

On Warren: I didn't even go to the lab to see Warren. he shows up very briefly in the photo class but doesn't really say anything and the teacher kicks everyone who isn't part of the class pretty much as soon as Warren sits down. I don't know if that always happens, but yeah, he is clingy creep. Notice how he's always like "you owe me" or "hey check out this thing I am into!" and never like "Hey take any cool photos today?" or try to talk about her interests? That dude just thinks since Max is a quiet and kind of shy that she'd be easy to get with. I bet the folks who are falling for Warren are going to find out he's not a cool dude at some point.

...I have a complex feels about these virtual teens dumb fake relationship. God drat it, video games!

Macaluso posted:

You can talk to them to get a bit of flavor about the state of the town. I don't know if it'll have much of an impact on the story later on though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Another Person posted:

I want nothing to happen to the dude with the lotto ticket, I want him to get his million dolla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3cjyHctjo

Oh trust me, I'm asking specifically because I want to do everything in my power to get this guy his riches. I may have stood around longer than I should of to see if the bus eventually comes around

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

D_W posted:

On Warren: I didn't even go to the lab to see Warren. he shows up very briefly in the photo class but doesn't really say anything and the teacher kicks everyone who isn't part of the class pretty much as soon as Warren sits down. I don't know if that always happens, but yeah, he is clingy creep. Notice how he's always like "you owe me" or "hey check out this thing I am into!" and never like "Hey take any cool photos today?" or try to talk about her interests? That dude just thinks since Max is a quiet and kind of shy that she'd be easy to get with. I bet the folks who are falling for Warren are going to find out he's not a cool dude at some point.

He does that regardless. And yeah he's a total internet nice guy white knight. I mean sure he does take a beating for you, but his reaction isn't "This guy just assaulted both of us. Are you ok?" it's "I saved you and now you owe me." Max is totally his manic pixie dream girl or whatever.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I felt like this episode was considerably worse than the first one. They tried to shoehorn more puzzles into the game and they were just... bad. The diner scene where you had to remember what happened was just annoying, especially when trying to see exactly what landed on the jukebox, the gun scene was complete poo poo, and the bottle search completely boring. I realize that there are restrictions on the game because of the mechanics, but if all the puzzles are going to boil down to complete trial and error than it's going to be disappointing.

And I don't know, it just seems like everything that happened at the end of this episode should have been at the end of the last. We didn't really learn anything new at all, and we met two new characters, that's it. I can't help but feel super disappointed.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 26, 2015

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Paul Zuvella posted:

I felt like this episode was considerably worse than the first one. They tried to shoehorn more puzzles into the game and they were just... bad. The diner scene where you had to remember what happened was just annoying, especially when trying to see exactly what landed on the jukebox, the gun scene was complete poo poo, and the bottle search completely boring. I realize that there are restrictions on the game because of the mechanics, but if all the puzzles are going to boil down to complete trial and error than I'm going to be disappointing.

I liked the Diner puzzle because it rewarded awareness and attention to detail but I'm with you on the whole bottle fetching thing, that poo poo was nothing but tedious filler.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Roman Reigns posted:

Giving the ending a little more thought I think I'm going to go back and change my choice from Nathan to the teacher. I don't think he should get away clean after apparently rejecting Kate when she came to him for help (and prompting her suicide attempt). That's a pretty lovely thing to do. As much as I dislike Nathan, making a move on him now with minimal proof after already accusing him of the bathroom incident isn't going to end well. And I'm starting to have doubts about his involvement with Kate.

Nah I'm the same way. I get that hes supposed to be awkward and stuff but stop blowing up my phone you little poo poo.

Then again maybe the twist is that hes the serial killer all along so it could be intentional?

Minimal proof? Did you talk to Kate about what happened at the party and how she remembers Nathan promising to take her to the ER and instead bringing her somewhere else?

I mean, the teacher is a dick for ignoring Kate when she obviously needed help and I really hope you can call him out on that in the next episode but Nathan seems to be the instigator of what happened to Kate

Anyways, the ending result in my playthrough so far:

Saved Kate, blamed Nathan, got Nathan suspended. I really think Chloe's being too clingy and just reckless in general. David seems scared to death of something and not out to intentionally hurt people but taking things way too far, he definitely knows something.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

Minimal proof? Did you talk to Kate about what happened at the party and how she remembers Nathan promising to take her to the ER and instead bringing her somewhere else?

I mean, the teacher is a dick for ignoring Kate when she obviously needed help and I really hope you can call him out on that in the next episode but Nathan seems to be the instigator of what happened to Kate

Anyways, the ending result in my playthrough so far:

Saved Kate, blamed Nathan, got Nathan suspended. I really think Chloe's being too clingy and just reckless in general. David seems scared to death of something and not out to intentionally hurt people but taking things way too far, he definitely knows something.

That isn't really proof tho. It is her word against his which is with nothing to back it up. I mean, I did point the finger at him but I get why a person might think that is a bad idea.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
One thing that was really cool was How the choices you made across the episodes allow for different success/failures in incriminating people at the end. In my 1st play through I ratted out Nate at the beginning, didn't take a photo of Kate and Madsen, told Kate to go to the police, and took the blame for the weed.

Initially, I blamed Madsen because I saw him with her through the window right before she got on the roof. But I had no pictures for proof, and he threw the "she's a drug dealer" accusation back at me getting Max suspended. So I figured if I was going down anyway, I'd take a crack at Nathan, but after I rewound he ended up getting suspended and I had a better case against him. It's interesting to see how a bunch of factors came together for different people having different viable or non-viable accusations here.
Like everyone is saying, I'm really interested to see how well they manage to stretch different play throughs vs railroading everything back together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Speaking of railroading does anyone else think that damaging the tracks is going to cause a accident in a future episode? Also, I'm noticing some of the choices were saying people Helped Alyssa When/where was that, what did they need help with?

• Locked thread