Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

I don't know man, not saying you're wrong here but reading that chapter back in the day was beyond intense. I remember it well- I had to immediately re-read the chapter just so it could sink in. That's the only time I've ever been affected by fiction like that.

Reading the Red Wedding chapter felt like a punch in the gut. I read it on lunch break and I was basically useless for the entire rest of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

loquacius posted:

Reading the Red Wedding chapter felt like a punch in the gut. I read it on lunch break and I was basically useless for the entire rest of the day.

I was so distraught after the reading the Red Wedding for the first time, I had to be institutionalized for six months.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I just wanted to say that knowing what would happen at the Red Wedding would have absolutely ruined it for me. I wasn't perceptive enough to see the signs until the chapter started, but until then I had been really wondering about all the scenarios that could exist with Robb winning out. I was not prepared for the totality of how many people die in that chapter, and really thought Cat was dead.

Likewise, knowing that Cat would come back would have lessened the last paragraph of that chapter.

Now whenever I read the book, I just roll my eyes at every chapter involving Robb because I know what's coming.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

There's no way that the show wont diminish the experience of reading A Dream of Spring for the first time. And I'm positive that a lot of people wont bother reading it, or wont care much about its release, after the show has aired.

It's loving unfortunate.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

BillBear posted:

In the books, Mance is totally retarded and sends everything he has, including mammoths and chariots at the wall which do nothing.

He goes full on frontal assault because he knows that the Others are a much bigger threat than the NW, and that the casualties he will take from a frontal assault on the wall pale in comparison to the casualties he will take from the Others if he takes his time and comes up with a clever strategy.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On my first time listen to the series on audiobook, I vaguely guessed major poo poo would go down in the middle of book 3, so I ended up fasting forward over it. Catelyn was too insufferable to me even at the first play through.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 26, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I only began reading the books after season 3, so I saw the red wedding on the show before reading it on the books.

But before watching it, I was spoiled about it on this very own forums (by that custom title thing someone did). So when I watched I wanst nearly as shocked or impressed as most people was.

Also, that was when I said "well, better read the goddam books then, cause Im going to end up reading spoilers on the internet anyway".

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Sam should have just chucked a bag of dragon glass poo poo over the wall to the wildlings with a note that said "here use this. ~peace"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also, that was when I said "well, better read the goddam books then, cause Im going to end up reading spoilers on the internet anyway".

And then God laughed, because there was nothing left to spoil.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

There's no way that the show wont diminish the experience of reading A Dream of Spring for the first time. And I'm positive that a lot of people wont bother reading it, or wont care much about its release, after the show has aired.

It's loving unfortunate.

To be fair, that would've been the case if the show never existed too. I think the readership is still bigger than without.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

zVxTeflon posted:

Sam should have just chucked a bag of dragon glass poo poo over the wall to the wildlings with a note that said "here use this. ~peace"

This made me laugh much more than it should have.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

I got to watch a friend read the Red Wedding on their lunch break. It was glorious.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Steve2911 posted:

It's loving unfortunate.

Nothing can diminish the experience of reading A Dream of Spring for the first time. Because it will never exist.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
yes it will dumbass. just maybe not written by martin

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Am I wrong or is the Baratheon sigil referred to as a "crowned stag" in the Dunk and Egg tales as well?

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Normy posted:

Am I wrong or is the Baratheon sigil referred to as a "crowned stag" in the Dunk and Egg tales as well?

Yep. "Ser Lyonel wore a cloth-of-gold surcoat bearing the crowned stag of House Baratheon..."

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The crowned stag is from House Durrandon, it refers to them being kings of the stormlands. It's not a modern thing from when Robert was crowned.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A Dream of Spring is going to become a cotton industry. Everybody will be writing his version of the fanfic. It's not that hard to mimic Martin's style either. We are going to get a subforum just for the different versions of A Dream of Spring.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
A Dream of Spring by George RR Martin & YOU!

A 1200 page blank, lined paper hardcover notebook bound between the front and back covers of ADoS. The first line is written by GRRM and ends on a comma, and you have to write the rest of the story yourself.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Steve2911 posted:

reading A Dream of Spring

:laugh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I know what Martin means about spoilers, because he's absolutely right in that you can enjoy something while still knowing the outcome. It's just a different kind of enjoyment I guess, sort of like watching the replay of a football game or something when you already know the winner.

Watching the battle of Blackwater was very tense because I didn't know which way it was going to go; but then watching the Red Wedding was a very different kind of tense because I'd already read the books and knew exactly what was coming.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

webmeister posted:

I know what Martin means about spoilers, because he's absolutely right in that you can enjoy something while still knowing the outcome. It's just a different kind of enjoyment I guess, sort of like watching the replay of a football game or something when you already know the winner.

Watching the battle of Blackwater was very tense because I didn't know which way it was going to go; but then watching the Red Wedding was a very different kind of tense because I'd already read the books and knew exactly what was coming.

Then he shouldn't have thrown a poo poo fit as recently as last year about people book people spoiling the story for show watchers. Make up your loving mind, GRRM.

I read The Return of the King before anything else simply because the cartoon came on when I was a kid. I read Lord of the Rings before Jackson dreamed about making the movies. I get it.

But reading the Red Wedding not knowing what would happen, before the tv show aired, was a FAR better experience.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't mind knowing over all plot directions, but details bother me, and obviously twists. LIke knowing the Wildlings attack the wall would be fine, but knowing specifically Jon joins them would bug me.

Oddly, when I heard that Snape killed Dumbledore before reading Half Blood prince, it didn't bother me, because wanted to know the why and how. It kinda became like a mystery novel.

After reading Storm of Swords, I have to say its my favorite of the books so far. It moves along at a very good pace, doesn't drag and gets to those important points quickly. I mean, a lot happens, and it makes sense they split it into 2 seasons. Its kinda amazing that Oberyn agrees to fight for Tyrionn and bam, it happens.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 27, 2015

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I've really enjoyed listening to the Better Call Saul Insider podcast each week, with the producers etc dissecting the episode and giving behind the scenes insights. Is there anything remotely similar for Game of Thrones?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

webmeister posted:

I've really enjoyed listening to the Better Call Saul Insider podcast each week, with the producers etc dissecting the episode and giving behind the scenes insights. Is there anything remotely similar for Game of Thrones?

The on-disc commentaries, but the quality range is miles wide, because it will just be two/three different people for each episode. One episode will have Davos and Melisandre and they talk about legitimately interesting/funny things, and another episode will have Bran, Arya and Sansa making random noises unaware that they are being recorded.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Thanks, but I was thinking more in terms of week-to-week podcasts and stuff that I can listen to on my commute

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

There's a lot of theories surrounding light bringer as much as there is Azor Ahai and every other loving thing. We know Stannis' sword isn't the real light bringer because as Aemon says something like flame/light without heat, it's a false glamour, nothing more.

There's also Jaime having visions of holding a flaming sword, and the story about it being tempered first in water, then in a lion then in nissa nissa's breast.

Some people have a feeling Jaime will kill cersei, or another Lannister or then LSH or Brienne will kill Jaime and then Lady Stoneheart with oathkeeper and it will be revealed. There's also Thoros of Myr running around with Lady Stoneheart who'd see a flaming sword come out of her chest and know it's Lightbringer.

There's also some analogues people draw with Jamie and Tyr and Ragnarok which I don't fully buy into but I doubt he ends up in a ditch in Dorne.

In any event I would imagine his joining Brienne and heading off to be intercepted by the BwB isn't going to be without consequence, unless they just top him straight away.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I got to watch a friend read the Red Wedding on their lunch break. It was glorious.

Yeah I gotta admit, hearing the rest of my families anguished cries when Rob's wifey gets gutted was pretty awesome.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Irish Joe posted:

And then God laughed, because there was nothing left to spoil.

The funny thing is the two big things left to spoil, namely the Lady Stonheart reveal and Jon becomes Lord Commander, are both in book 3. The show really is spending lots of time on book 3 and will probably just gloss over books 4 and 5. The only things in books 4 and 5 that are spoil worthy are Cersei's walk of shame and a bunch of other stuff with characters that are probably going to be cut out anyway.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Also Azor Ahai literally means Golden hand in the Valyrian language they created for the show.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

webmeister posted:

Thanks, but I was thinking more in terms of week-to-week podcasts and stuff that I can listen to on my commute

A Cast of Kings occasionally has people from the production on for interviews. Week-to-week it's more episode reviews, and one of the presenters can be annoyingly obtuse sometimes (one has read the books, the other hasn't, and they never talk about anything outside what has aired), but it's usually a decent listen.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gianthogweed posted:

The funny thing is the two big things left to spoil, namely the Lady Stonheart reveal and Jon becomes Lord Commander, are both in book 3. The show really is spending lots of time on book 3 and will probably just gloss over books 4 and 5. The only things in books 4 and 5 that are spoil worthy are Cersei's walk of shame and a bunch of other stuff with characters that are probably going to be cut out anyway.

Well, Jon getting murdered and Arya going blind are sort of big, but those are both just temporary.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TOOT BOOT posted:

Also Azor Ahai literally means Golden hand in the Valyrian language they created for the show.

I kind of like that the mythical hero is the anticyclone Azores High.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
There is also undead Beric using a literal flaming sword powered by blood Magic. It is entirely possible that there were many Azores each wielding their own blood magic powered flaming swords.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Gianthogweed posted:

Well, LSH is probably already out, and Jon will become LC in like episode 2 or so. On the other hand, last season already adapted a lot of Brienne's and Sansa's chapters from books 4 and 5.

And you're forgetting Daznak, For the Watch, Doran's speech (which probably won't be Fire and Blood on the show, but UUU, but hey) and Varys making his way through the remains of the Small Council.

But yes, the show is throwing in its own spoiler stuff this year. Like the 17-days-to-film battle or all those non-book deaths. (e: still hoping Mance, Barristan, Bronn, Tormund and Tommen)

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

meristem posted:

On the other hand, last season already adapted a lot of Brienne's and Sansa's chapters from books 4 and 5.

More like the show just skipped over those chapters. Unless they plan on backtracking on some of Brienne's journey, she's going to have fuckall to do this season, especially if it's true that LSH has been cut. It's a shame because some of that stuff, particularly the Maribald stuff and saltpans, was pretty interesting. As for Sansa, they cut out a lot, but there's still a lot to tell so I'm not sure it's really necessary. Bran doesn't have much left either, but his green seer training could be padded out quite a bit, especially with all of the flashbacks they could potentially add.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Brienne and Pod are somewhere snowy, so my guess is that they're being brought into the Dance/Winterfell storyline with Sansa and Littlefinger.

They're not gonna pad out Bran's greenseer training, it'll be off-screen. Since he's not appearing this season.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 27, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lycus posted:

Brienne and Pod are somewhere snowy, so my guess is that they're being brought into the Dance/Winterfell storyline with Sansa and Littlefinger.

They're not gonna pad out Bran's greenseer training, it'll be off-screen. Since he's not appearing this season.

Or she ends up at the Wall, or gets caught up by Stannis's army moving south. They better remember the whole thing with Arya and Mel, as Mel was played being terrified of Arya and their next meeting.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, Jon getting murdered and Arya going blind are sort of big, but those are both just temporary.

And Tywin's death, and Tyrion escape to Essos.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
http://www.avclub.com/article/game-thrones-showrunners-want-bring-its-always-sun-217154

D&B want Charlie and Mac on game of thrones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

That'd be awesome. Should also have Danny Devito running around asking, "Where do hoooors go?"

• Locked thread