Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Cunso posted:

I think, for me at least, it's because there are two sometimes conflicting desires while playing a game: to experience new/interesting gameplay, and to see all the content a particular game provides. The problem comes when a game has so much content that it takes away from being able to experience other games.

Since this is the Wii U thread, I'll use Hyrule Warriors and Super Mario 3D World as examples. I want to play both of them, but physically I can only play one game at a time. So I pick one, in this case Hyrule Warriors. I get to experience the new or interesting gameplay the game provides, and play through the content in the game, and this is a net positive. However, there is still the opportunity cost that I don't get to play Super Mario 3D World, which is another game I want to experience. So if I want to see all of the content in Hyrule Warriors I need to keep playing it, which means I don't get to play Super Mario 3D World that much longer. I'll be having just as much fun playing either game, but the time I spend playing one game is the time I don't spend playing the other game. If it takes me months to complete Hyrule Warriors, then I still haven't even played Super Mario 3D World by the time Zelda/Animal Crossing/whatever comes out, and now I'm even further behind.

If I game needs 30+ hours to provide the gameplay/content then that's fine, but if it can be done in half that and they're just padding it with pointless garbage then it's wasting everyones time.

There are two things to consider here:

1. A large number of hours in "long" games involves a ton of collecting, side questing, trophy earning, some form of number grinding, etc. Yes, this is content but it is not really the same as going through the main single player experience of a game. You mentioned Hyrule Warriors. That game can last seemingly forever with more and more new content to "experience", but the truth is that you can get through the entire game in far less time than that and be very satisfied. There is nothing wrong with sinking many more hours into a game in order to hit 100% but that is not really the same as experiencing "new and interesting gameplay" or in depth content.

2. Fun is not measured in units of time. The amount of fun that one feels is not going to be the same amount while experiencing all of the different features of a game. If you get through most of the more in depth portions of a game's content and you notice that you are not having quite as much fun with it anymore as you look at the other shiny game waiting to be played then do yourself a favor. Stop playing your current game and fire up the new one. Odds are, you will have more fun that way and if not then you can always go back to the previous game.

With that said, I am more of less a video game hypocrite who needs to listen to his own advice more often so if you don't do this then I won't blame you! I spend way too many hours on the same game before putting it down but every time I do I never regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

SRM posted:

I'm a Warhammer guy and even then I think collecting all the meebs is kinda crazy. I've got a handful of them, but I only get them of my favorite characters.

Congrats, you are normal.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Doesn't jivjov have every Amiibo?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
If someone showed me that amiibo display in real life Id tell them it looked very nice and appreciate thw work that they must have spent and also tell them that i saw their display on the internet.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Can't wait for Nintendo to discontinue amiibo functionality for games 6-8 months from now.

Gamestop is over run with Infinity/Skylanders and they cant even get rid of them for a dollar. Those World of Nintendo toys are probably a better deal since they're larger than the amiibo guys, can actually move, and they're cheaper than actual amiibos despite having more engineering going on with hip swivels and articulation.

The Fire Emblem Amiibos look like total rear end compared to the action figure ones.

Even Lucina which is a figure you buy for the rear end.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 26, 2015

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

The Taint Reaper posted:

Can't wait for Nintendo to discontinue amiibo functionality for games 6-8 months from now.

Gamestop is over run with Infinity/Skylanders and they cant even get rid of them for a dollar. Those World of Nintendo toys are probably a better deal since they're larger than the amiibo guys, can actually move, and they're cheaper than actual amiibos despite having more engineering going on with hip swivels and articulation.

The Fire Emblem Amiibos look like total rear end compared to the action figure ones.

Even Lucina which is a figure you buy for the rear end.

stop trying to reap taints or i'll reap your taint

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Zelda 2 update:

Finally made it through death mountain. Tried spectacle rock and got my poo poo pushed in. Said, ok, let's grind on some mobs. Found an easy way to do it for a while and leveled up my attack twice. Was able to finish Spectacle rock and now feel like I might be able to finish this game.

I can see why it causes so much division. The game balancing early on is totally broken. But it's not impossible. And it is very challenging. There isn't much leeway for mistakes.

Gonna try to finish palace 2 tonight.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

How Rude posted:

You can't suppress a mans true nature

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Waltzing Along posted:

Zelda 2 update:

Finally made it through death mountain. Tried spectacle rock and got my poo poo pushed in. Said, ok, let's grind on some mobs. Found an easy way to do it for a while and leveled up my attack twice. Was able to finish Spectacle rock and now feel like I might be able to finish this game.

I can see why it causes so much division. The game balancing early on is totally broken. But it's not impossible. And it is very challenging. There isn't much leeway for mistakes.

Gonna try to finish palace 2 tonight.

Try not to pick up the extra lives you find until you're heading to the last temple. The path to the temple is hard enough where you're going to want them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Spacebump posted:

Try not to pick up the extra lives you find until you're heading to the last temple. The path to the temple is hard enough where you're going to want them.

I'm using save states so extra lives aren't a thing. Will I max out stats to 8 by a normal run or will I have to grind some more at some point?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I had a way easier time with that game skipping the magic level ups and putting it all into attack and life early on. Then after death mountain start building up magic.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

How Rude posted:

How Rude.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm using save states so extra lives aren't a thing. Will I max out stats to 8 by a normal run or will I have to grind some more at some point?

You can avoid some or all of the grind if you play smart. Whenever you finish a temple it will give you enough experience to the point where you level up, but the experience that you already gained while progressing to that level does not roll over.

For example, if you had 700/1000 experience points then finishing a temple will give you exactly 300 experience points and you will gain a level as opposed to giving you 1000 experience points where 700 of those points roll over. What this means is that it is very wise to gain a level right before killing the boss of a temple so that you basically get a "free" level up.

There are also a lot of hidden point bags in the world. Seek those out. Finally, kill things that are hard to kill even if they are easily skipped. They usually give good experience points and drop point bags which have a lot of experience.

Edit: Ugh...I am probably going to fire this game up again tonight. I love Zelda 2. gently caress the haters.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 26, 2015

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Louisgod posted:

Congrats, you are normal.

You haven't seen his Warhammer collection.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fremry posted:

Doesn't jivjov have every Amiibo?

Yes. Yes I do. Am I famous enough to be known by (user)name so readily?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

jivjov posted:

Do you also own the Superior Nintendo Figmas?

The ones you can buy at barnes and Noble.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Xavier434 posted:

What this means is that it is very wise to gain a level right before killing the boss of a temple so that you basically get a "free" level up.
Best thing to do is look up the exp values the boss will give you and make sure you gain a level from it, and then gain another level from the jewel. Not always comfortably doable, but can be worth a little extra grinding.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

jivjov posted:

Nah, I've just been around these parts forever and when I see posts about Amiibos in the Wii U thread it's usually you. It's also an easy name to remember... jivjov.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

KennyMan666 posted:

Best thing to do is look up the exp values the boss will give you and make sure you gain a level from it, and then gain another level from the jewel. Not always comfortably doable, but can be worth a little extra grinding.

Yeah, that is even better.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fremry posted:

Nah, I've just been around these parts forever and when I see posts about Amiibos in the Wii U thread it's usually you. It's also an easy name to remember... jivjov.

I remember people exclusively through their avatars.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

KennyMan666 posted:

You don't have to do the jewel immediately after killing the boss, so if the boss doesn't top your level off, you can go kill a few more monsters.
Really though, if you just fight most / all of the monsters you come across leveling isn't that huge of an issue. Certainly not before you've even gotten to the second palace.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I remember people exclusively through their avatars.

I usually do to, and I definitely remember jivjov for his, but I also remember his name for some reason.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Fair enough.

Speaking of, my final amiibo (for now!) arrived in the mail today; bought a Mario-series Mario off eBay, since I bought Mario Party digitally.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
What the fucks an abibo for?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Did they announce any new waves, or as of now do you have every single one that has been announced?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Do you also own the Superior Nintendo Figmas?

The ones you can buy at barnes and Noble.

The Samus and Link one? I own the Link one :getin:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hell with amiibo, this is what I want.

Sadly, it's been out of stock for years now and was like, $200, so my little Samus amiibo will have to do. :shobon:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fremry posted:

Did they announce any new waves, or as of now do you have every single one that has been announced?

I have all of smash waves 1 through 3 and mario wave 1, including a gold Mario. I have preorders on Charizard and Wario through Amazon UK, but not any of the other 4 wave 4s.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

jivjov posted:

I have all of smash waves 1 through 3 and mario wave 1, including a gold Mario. I have preorders on Charizard and Wario through Amazon UK, but not any of the other 4 wave 4s.

can i have them if you die

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I be internet famous I'm collecting the smash line to.

Also lol people giving a poo poo about what others collect.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also lol people giving a poo poo about what others collect.

Yeah, no kidding. Buncha loving commies telling others how to spend their discretionary income.
It's doubly stupid since it's all predicated on a bunch of adult-children playing video games.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

So... I just got the last beam in Metroid Prime II, and the second suit powerup. Uhh... :hawaaaafap: OK, it's official: I like this game more than the first one, and I liked the first one quite a lot!

Time to go on a collecting spree~

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silver Falcon posted:

So... I just got the last beam in Metroid Prime II, and the second suit powerup. Uhh... :hawaaaafap: OK, it's official: I like this game more than the first one, and I liked the first one quite a lot!

Time to go on a collecting spree~

Find a room with a lot of Ing and shoot a Light Crystal with your new beam. Just sit and watch once you do.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Metroid Prime would be a better game if it were on the 3DS

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Zelda 2:

Finished palace 2 w/ 6/6/6.

Those bubbles constantly respawn. And they aren't hard to kill. I'll probably be 7/7/7 by end of next palace.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
holy poo poo you really grinded up a lot.

the 8th levels will take forever (Those are the max).

Have you figured out how to easily dispatch Ironknuckles yet? That skill is basically necessary in later dungeons when they go blue.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RMZXAnarchy posted:

holy poo poo you really grinded up a lot.

the 8th levels will take forever (Those are the max).

Have you figured out how to easily dispatch Ironknuckles yet? That skill is basically necessary in later dungeons when they go blue.

Well 50 pts a pop on a critter that is easy to kill and respawns infinitely isn't much. I considered just going 8/8/8 then remembered the free levels. So as long as they are in the next palace, I will leave it at 7/7/7. And get the last 3 just doing palaces. Won't have to worry about point bags or anything. The earlier grinding was way suckier but I needed it for loving crocodile bitches.

The ironknuckles aren't hard. Jump, attack. Jump attack. I get hit every so often but they aren't a big deal. Crocs. gently caress that noise.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've only played a smattering of the 2d zeldas - I beat the original LoZ way back when with the help of a Nintendo Power guide. Never did beat Link to the past though. Was thinking that if I ever did a replay of the series, I might just want to start with link to the past.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

I only passively know about the whole Skylanders/Disney Infinity thing. What's the story? The new 2.0 versions don't allow you to use the 1.0 characters?

Lame, but expected.

At least they don't take up the space old Rockband equipment takes up? Thought there might be a rush on that junk soon with RB4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

noirstronaut posted:

Metroid Prime would be a better game if it were on the 3DS

I disagree. The pointer controls work really well. How would you translate that to 3DS? Use the stylus? I mean... it kinda worked in Metroid Prime Hunters I guess, but I would think it would cramp your hands real bad.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Find a room with a lot of Ing and shoot a Light Crystal with your new beam. Just sit and watch once you do.

I did try this actually! I was in the habit of shooting them with my beams as I got them to see what they did. I was not disappointed. :getin:

• Locked thread