Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

MildShow posted:

Not quite what you're looking for, but the celebration song from the end of Phantom Menace is a sped-up, major key version of the Emperor's Theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAs7Wxvc1_o

Listen to the chanting at half speed and you'll hear it.

Right, and I've always loved that about Augie's Great Municipal Band. Everybody's celebrating, with the Jedi looking on, but the person with the most to celebrate is Palpatine. What a great - and insidious (see what I did there?) - way to musically convey that message than to have a happy, celebratory version of the Sith theme. Brilliant stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Funny enough, one theme that actually has been reused from the prequels for Rebels already is the Trade Federation march, which got used for the obstacle course halfway through Breaking Ranks. It kinda gives an odd sense of continuity between the various types of pawns Palpatine has had in his ambitions - droids, clones, children, doesn't matter, they're all the same to him.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I think there's also echoes of "Anakin Defeats Sebulba" present in the speeder chase at the beginning of the pilot episode. I don't believe that a underlying thematic tie is at work there specifically, other than "It's a race too, of sorts". :shrug:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Finally caught up with this show, because I wanted to read A New Dawn first. Holy poo poo this got good. Those last two episodes were drat near perfect. Especially loved Vader showing up mirroring the return of Ahsoka, which was the ultimate open question left from Clone Wars. I know those two will take a back seat next season to the main characters, but I can't wait for their inevitable scene together. With the showrunner saying Vader is so far beyond the levels of the Ghost crew, I imagine they'll run into Vader, only to be saved by Ahsoka.

drunkill posted:

Season 2 cast news:

Well that's super convenient for them. They can car pool!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I hope we get an Asohka/Vader fight where Vader is just dicking around the whole time trying to get Asohka to join the dark side and become his apprentice.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

swickles posted:

I hope we get an Asohka/Vader fight where Vader is just dicking around the whole time trying to get Asohka to join the dark side and become his apprentice.

That would honestly fit pretty well with his character. Ahsoka is the only character (other than obviously Luke) I could see Vader trying to have join his side against the Emperor, seeing as how she was his old apprentice and friend. (I'm not counting Starkiller, because gently caress the plot in those games.)

But that would require a main plot, so we probably won't see it on Rebels. Which is fine.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

That would honestly fit pretty well with his character. Ahsoka is the only character (other than obviously Luke) I could see Vader trying to have join his side against the Emperor, seeing as how she was his old apprentice and friend. (I'm not counting Starkiller, because gently caress the plot in those games.)

But that would require a main plot, so we probably won't see it on Rebels. Which is fine.

You think they might set up a Vader/Ahsoka plot that mirrors what Vader attempts to do with Luke? As sort of a learning experience that so completely fails to convert Ahsoka, it leads to what we see Vader do to tempt Luke?

Perhaps he holds back his identity as Anakin while tempting her and that she's under the belief that Vader killed Anakin (much like Luke). But because he withholds that information, Ahsoka is never truly tempted (which Vader learns later) and so that's why Vader exposes the truth to Luke so quickly.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
All I know is, if we dont have a Vader/Ashoka show down, then this earth needs to be destroyed!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Do we have any reason to think that most people don't know Vader is Anakin? We have Ben Kenobi lying to a sheltered hick, but that's about it. "Oh yeah, Vader. He was a big-time general during the Clone Wars. He refused to betray the Emperor during the coup and the Jedi attacked him. He barely survived!" I never got a "people don't know who he is or where he came from vibe".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shbobdb posted:

Do we have any reason to think that most people don't know Vader is Anakin? We have Ben Kenobi lying to a sheltered hick, but that's about it. "Oh yeah, Vader. He was a big-time general during the Clone Wars. He refused to betray the Emperor during the coup and the Jedi attacked him. He barely survived!" I never got a "people don't know who he is or where he came from vibe".

Anakin Skywalker was seen as Vader for like 1 day before needing the suit. I guess the Clone Troopers he attacked the Jedi Temple with could know, but everyone else was killed. A new player shows up on the scene that looks like no one before, has a name no one living (or non-clone) has heard of, and all the Jedi were just killed (so it's likely so was Anakin). I'd be surprised if anyone knew he was Anakin.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
is this thread buggy for anyone else? page 25 and 27 contain the exact same posts and it always tells me there are 10 new posts in this thread and dumps me 2-3 pages from the last page.

e: Back to "Vader is so much stronger": I kind of expect next season to revolve more so around Ahsoka training Kanan & Ezra and rather than one big climatic scene where she has to save them they [incl. the rest of the crew] save her. I didn't watch past season 1 or 2 of the clone wars, but I don't expect Ahsoka to be as powerful as Vader.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 18, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

That and of course no-one had seemingly ever raised it to Luke that his father (unless of course, he just never discussed with friends or allies that his father was specifically named Anakin Skywalker) was currently the bad guy, though that's an old discussion and was most problematic in the old EU where it was never quite figured out what the situation was after Return of the Jedi and thus, Luke and the resurgent order being big public figures. Ie, if the public knew and feared Luke might be like his father, or they knew about that and the redemption on the Death Star to then pick apart the apparent double standard, or it was a closely guarded secret because the Skywalker family and friends knew that it would be such a hot button topic.

My current bet would be on the no-one knows side of things, at least within the PT-OT time frame, since Rebels indicates (and it would utterly fit Palpatine's MO) that Vader seems like some kind of vague monster that just comes in to ruin everyone's day.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Shbobdb posted:

I think it's clear that it's a pretty big secret. I'm not sure anyone other than Obi-Wan, Yoda, Bail, some clones and Sheev know at the end of the PT, and it's not a fact any of them would benefit from publicizing. Someone mentioned that Tarkin catches on sometime between ROTS and ANH based on their association, which makes sense. If Ahsoka ever faces him, it will be interesting how fast she catches on -- I can't imagine her NOT realizing, but it could happen as fast as recognizing his presence or take as long as actually dueling him a bit.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

In the Tarkin novel it's mentioned that there are tons of rumors and theories about who Vader is and where he came from, but the only ones who know for sure are Vader and The Emperor, while Tarkin has pretty much figured it out on his own.

Edit: Oh yeah, and obviously Obi-Wan, Yoda, and (I'd assume) Bail know.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I'm really surprised no one has posted this here yet. A Star Wars Tie Fighter short done as an 80's style Japanese Anime.

quote:

What if there was an Empire-focussed short Star Wars animation, drawn with the crazy detail and shading of classic 80s anime that's all but vanished from Japan nowadays?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

JFC fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 26, 2015

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

JFC posted:

I'm really surprised no one has posted this here yet. A Star Wars Tie Fighter short done as an 80's style Japanese Anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

Long live the Empire!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I certainly didn't enjoy that... the music was awful.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, the music really drags it down IMO.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Eh, the music's fine when you realize what the video is exactly trying to emulate: Starkly-themed, super-violent 80's anime. I was almost expecting poorly-dubbed English voices too, but alas, I was just met with awkward, soundless lip-flapping.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
The music is bloody awesome and fits perfectly, you heathens!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm sure I've seen that before, has it been released before with different music?

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

who are mistaken.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm sure I've seen that before, has it been released before with different music?

A shorter preview version came out a couple of years ago. This is his full project, after 4+ years of work.

Tarquinn posted:

The music is bloody awesome and fits perfectly, you heathens!

Several people in the Star Wars thread over in Cinema Discusso have tried mixing it with various other music, and I tried it with this obvious Star Wars track that works pretty well.

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=PN_CP4SuoTU&video_start=18&audio=SEEOcqbeclg&audio_start=0

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So do we think we've seen the last of the Inquisitor? I mean we got no background for him, and his existence raises some questions. A clone, maybe? Or at least one of many, as we'll see when we find where compliant Force sensitives are being sourced from. Don't get me wrong, dude died, but there's story to be told there.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

BizarroAzrael posted:

So do we think we've seen the last of the Inquisitor? I mean we got no background for him, and his existence raises some questions. A clone, maybe? Or at least one of many, as we'll see when we find where compliant Force sensitives are being sourced from. Don't get me wrong, dude died, but there's story to be told there.

The red guards the Emperor has are supposed to be force sensitives (or it's something I've always assumed/believed). I figure he was one of them who proved himself to be particularly useful and got the bare minimum of training to instantly turn him into a disposable mini-vader. He's probably dead, he obviously didn't want to live and face the Emperor.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Because Vader appeared after his exit, one could assume he meant facing Vader. In all likelihood it meant his fate was to come over and over to do the Emperor's bidding. Could be clones or could be resurrected by life and death power Siddious stole/commands.

I think Asoka and Vader are just set dressing meant to stay in the background. If they become any more significant than Maria Hill on Agents of Shield they supplant the entire cast of the show in a literal and dramatic sense.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

If they did any follow up regarding the Inquisitor, I suspect it would tie into Palpatine's efforts to track down young force sensitives in Clone Wars. Ie, shortly after the Empire came to power, he was drafted and isolated, and then made into a weapon - something along those lines. If he's one of many to receive such training, the Ghost crew could encounter a former colleague, realise that even one of the most vindictive foes they faced may have had a life beyond what they saw, wasted because of the Empire's machinations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Astro Nut posted:

If they did any follow up regarding the Inquisitor, I suspect it would tie into Palpatine's efforts to track down young force sensitives in Clone Wars. Ie, shortly after the Empire came to power, he was drafted and isolated, and then made into a weapon - something along those lines. If he's one of many to receive such training, the Ghost crew could encounter a former colleague, realise that even one of the most vindictive foes they faced may have had a life beyond what they saw, wasted because of the Empire's machinations.

Considering that one episode where Ezra infiltrated that Imperial academy had it highly hinted the Inquisitor took "promising" subjects away, it wouldn't be much of a stretch (and going by one possible spoiler I heard we may be getting a new Inquisitor who actually goes in as an infiltration agent, so that kind of background would work fairly well if they took that route).

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

who are mistaken.

I'm just reviving this thread from the bowels of Page 5 since we should get some decent news about Rebels soon from the Star Wars Celebration that starts today.

:neckbeard:

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I think Ashoka is going to get a bit more involvement

http://www.rebelscum.com/2015-Celebration-Anaheim/Celebration-Anaheim-2015-Wednesday-Morning-Set-Up/image23.asp

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Indeed, they're screening the first episode of S2 on Saturday, in addition to having a S2 preview panel in the morning of the same day. It's doubtful that they'll livestream the screening, but the chances that they will for the earlier panel are pretty high! :haw:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

Indeed, they're screening the first episode of S2 on Saturday, in addition to having a S2 preview panel in the morning of the same day. It's doubtful that they'll livestream the screening, but the chances that they will for the earlier panel are pretty high! :haw:

Admittedly, I'm kinda lucky regarding these kinds of details, even if I live on the wrong continent. Friend of mine is a moderator on the fan wiki, so he gets to go out to these things and interview the cast and such.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Season 2 poster from Celebration Anaheim:

She's so dead.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So, IGN has a collection of various bits of concept art from planned seasons of Clone Wars. Interesting since some of the ideas do tie into current canon.

Footnotes, all in spoilers:
  • Ahsoka would have had a post-Jedi story arc, presumably dealing with finding her place in the world after that.
  • Cad Bane and Boba Fett would team up, with Bane having known Jango. The two would have infiltrated/gotten themselves captured by sand people on Tatooine, giving us insight into that culture.
  • There would also have been a Kashyyyk storyline (presumably as build up to Revenge of the Sith), with Clone Troopers and Wookiees working together. At one point you'd have the conflict of the Wookiees and their deep spiritualism for their home against the pragmatic need to defeat the enemy, involving deliberate and large scale destruction of the forest to obtain victory.
  • There'd also be some new clone troopers, known as the 'Bad Batch'. They came out of the cloning process with imperfections, but, they were deliberately mutated further in order to be used as super soldiers. They'd also have a WW2-esque pinup of Padme on their ship, which naturally Anakin would get pissed about but can't visibly complain about too much lest he let the marriage slip, so Rex would handle it.
  • Asajj would have her adventures with Quinlan Vos, which we've known about a while. Apparently the digital model for her ship has been salvaged to be used for a new character in Rebels.
  • They planned to finally add all the Jedi Council members to the show, including Depa Billaba, who'd have been retroactively important for Kanan.
  • There'd be another underwater adventure, featuring Senator Tikkes of the Quarren.
  • There would have been a lost Sith Temple under the many layers of Coruscant (looking at you, Tarkin novel), with a giant monster (rather Evangelion Angel-esque) still roaming inside it.
  • There'd also be a storyline showing the divide between ground forces and pilots, presumably over something like how in real life you tended to be a lot safer if your work was in the air than if you were on the ground.
  • Filoni planned to have a scout of the YUUZHAN VONG show up, assessing the capabilities of the Jedi. Needless to say, holy poo poo.
  • There were going to be 'Ahsoka Loyalist' clone troopers. Presumably troops that either were pissed about how the Order treated her, or still try to support her (presumably in whatever storyline she had) even though she'd be a civilian.
  • Dooku would also get into a fight with some bounty hunters, for whatever reason.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Astro Nut posted:

So, IGN has a collection of various bits of concept art from planned seasons of Clone Wars. Interesting since some of the ideas do tie into current canon.

• Filoni planned to have a scout of the YUUZHAN VONG show up, assessing the capabilities of the Jedi. Needless to say, holy poo poo.

I used to wish that the Clone Wars didn't get cancelled but now I think I've changed my mind.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

cargohills posted:

I used to wish that the Clone Wars didn't get cancelled but now I think I've changed my mind.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw some of that and just kind of stared hopelessly at it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Those all sound really cool, even the Yuuzhan Vong bit - I think Filoni could make it work. I hope they repurpose some of that stuff for Rebels.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Astro Nut posted:

• Filoni planned to have a scout of the YUUZHAN VONG show up, assessing the capabilities of the Jedi. Needless to say, poo poo.

Fixed that for ya.

As for the rest, drat. That would have been such a sweet season.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, that was close. We almost had to keep the Vong in canon.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I can't stop laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

Fixed that for ya.

As for the rest, drat. That would have been such a sweet season.

Considering most things regarding the Vong, that is fair enough. I just think that's one of the ballsiest things they could have done, and I'm kinda surprised that it was on the table.

• Locked thread