Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "Omar, by the way, is my favorite character." ~ Barack Obama, on The Wire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWY79JCfhjw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JT Jag posted:

Cut spending, balance the budget

What, military spending? That doesn't count.

Freedom isn't free. :colbert:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "Omar, by the way, is my favorite character." ~ Barack Obama, on The Wire.

All in the game, yo.

If Barack had operated under the assumption that you get good or you get got from the very beginning, things wouldn't have gone nearly as rough during his first term.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 26, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

JT Jag posted:

There are a lot of different brands of anarchism, some of them a bit more reasonable than others.

What if America were run like Noisebridge

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Joementum posted:

:omarcomin:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

What if America were run like Noisebridge
This was a joke, but probably the most important thing for an anarchistic collective is to have a specific, outlined purpose. Even if that purpose isn't directed (because if it was, it wouldn't be anarchistic) as long as everyone is aware what the collective is for it can make positive achievements.

In theory, if an entire country was run anarchistically under the primary directive of "love thy neighbor as thyself" it could work. That said, the larger an anarchistic project becomes, the more difficult it is to keep it focused on its purpose.

(the lack of a truly defined purpose or policy goal to guide it in lieu of human leadership was why Occupy, which had a lot of anarchistic tendencies, guttered out)

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes, the normal progression with them is that the Republican government makes a big show of how it's totally going to pass to get conservative cred for the next election, and then just silently neglects to actually have it enter into law. Indiana's loving up by actually signing it and putting the state at risk of lawsuit.

This describes most conservative policies, not just anti-gay discrimination.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JT Jag posted:

There are a lot of different brands of anarchism, some of them a bit more reasonable than others.

None of them are more reasonable at the end goal: the lack of state force.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

Freedom isn't free. :colbert:
It's not spending, it's investing in freedom.

I'm so excited to see what the ROI will be this time!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

None of them are more reasonable at the end goal: the lack of state force.
One of the definitions of a state is an entity that has a legal monopoly on the application of force. The end goal of anarchism is to replace the state and its governing mechanics with the people themselves. Not lawlessness so much as statelessness.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's a fascinating thing, because there is exactly one time where I thought I was in danger from what was happening in the mid-east, and that's the recent list of US military on a kill list... which is a result of our investment in freedom.

As far as I know I'm not on it, but holy poo poo that is terrifying.

Boon fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 26, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JT Jag posted:

One of the definitions of a state is an entity that has a legal monopoly on the application of force. The end goal of anarchism is to replace the state and its governing mechanics with the people themselves. Not lawlessness so much as statelessness.

The definition of a republic is a form of government in which state power is vested in the people so...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

The definition of a republic is a form of government in which state power is vested in the people so...
Through representatives, and the extent that a republic actually represents its citizenry can vary greatly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JT Jag posted:

Which you can't do. You will have lawlessness when you have statelessness unless you have some hidden method that's 100% effective at preventing people rom disagreeing with the general rules.

And since states are not in themselves bad, chasing after the magical thing to make anarchism work this time is pointless: humanity figured out states work great literally thousands of years ago.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Coons amendment (Pay for War on ISIS) was not agreed to 46-54, a party-line vote.

Senator Enzi announces that they've completed 17 votes in six hours. The next tranche includes 26 amendments. He mentions that Mitch bought dinner for everyone and asks for volunteers to order breakfast and lunch. :twisted:

We move on to an amendment from Senator Isakson (R-GA) to use the funds from Iranian sanctions payments to compensate the hostages from the 70s. Senator Blumenthal (D-CT) notes that there is a separate bill that will do anyway. The amendment is agreed to by voice vote.

Senator Stabenow (D-MI) now introduces an amendment that would reverse any cuts to Medicare in the Republican budget.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JT Jag posted:

Through representatives, and the extent that a republic actually represents its citizenry can vary greatly.

On the other hand, Occupy was a pretty visible example of how anarchist consensus decision making is completely inadequate to running anything.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
Why dont we just support the Green Party? They seem to have pretty good policy and they aren't ran by craven lunatics

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

His Purple Majesty posted:

Why dont we just support the Green Party? They seem to have pretty good policy and they aren't ran by craven lunatics

*results may vary by state

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

Which you can't do. You will have lawlessness when you have statelessness unless you have some hidden method that's 100% effective at preventing people rom disagreeing with the general rules.

And since states are not in themselves bad, chasing after the magical thing to make anarchism work this time is pointless: humanity figured out states work great literally thousands of years ago.
Like I said before, the ability of an anarchist collective to operate with purpose tends to degrade the larger the collective is. Some relatively small groups have operated along anarchist lines successfully, and it is potentially a useful ideology for select circumstances.

Whether a country could survive if it attempted true anarchism is dubious. It's also the wrong question to ask. The concept of the state breaks down in an anarchistic society. People would (again, in theory of course) be more preoccupied with taking care of their local communities than about the country as a whole. The right question is could the people survive and thrive in a stateless society?

Stultus Maximus posted:

On the other hand, Occupy was a pretty visible example of how anarchist consensus decision making is completely inadequate to running anything.
A society without designated leaders must operate with a clear purpose in order to make up for it. Occupy's purpose was not clear enough for it to survive as it was.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

They do not have good policy on a whole host of issues.

JT Jag posted:

Like I said before, the ability of an anarchist collective to operate with purpose tends to degrade the larger the collective is. Some relatively small groups have operated along anarchist lines successfully, and it is potentially a useful ideology for select circumstances.

Yes, "anarchism" can only operate when you actually have a state.

JT Jag posted:

Whether a country could survive if it attempted true anarchism is dubious. It's also the wrong question to ask. The concept of the state breaks down in an anarchistic society. People would (again, in theory of course) be more preoccupied with taking care of their local communities than about the country as a whole. The right question is could the people survive and thrive in a stateless society?

They couldn't. So someone would make a state again. It's simple.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

The Coons amendment (Pay for War on ISIS) was not agreed to 46-54, a party-line vote.

Senator Enzi announces that they've completed 17 votes in six hours. The next tranche includes 26 amendments. He mentions that Mitch bought dinner for everyone and asks for volunteers to order breakfast and lunch. :twisted:

We move on to an amendment from Senator Isakson (R-GA) to use the funds from Iranian sanctions payments to compensate the hostages from the 70s. Senator Blumenthal (D-CT) notes that there is a separate bill that will do anyway. The amendment is agreed to by voice vote.

Senator Stabenow (D-MI) now introduces an amendment that would reverse any cuts to Medicare in the Republican budget.

Joementum, let me say that I really, really appreciate your posts and posts like these, as banal as the subject matter can be sometimes.

As horrifying as American politics can be at times, they still fascinate me. What do you do for a living that allows you to pay such close attention to all the procedural goings-on in Congress and still post on SA all day?

Because I want that job. How do I get the job. Give me the job.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

The right question is could the people survive and thrive in a stateless society?

Theoretically? Sure, why not?

Realistically? No loving way. It's basically the same question as, could a market absent of regulation thrive? No. Because people.

Caros
May 14, 2008

a shameful boehner posted:

Joementum, let me say that I really, really appreciate your posts and posts like these, as banal as the subject matter can be sometimes.

As horrifying as American politics can be at times, they still fascinate me. What do you do for a living that allows you to pay such close attention to all the procedural goings-on in Congress and still post on SA all day?

I believe that job is called 'congressman'.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Boon posted:

Theoretically? Sure, why not?

Realistically? No loving way. It's basically the same question as, could a market absent of regulation thrive? No. Because people.

It would require constant and deliberate effort to prevent the natural formation of governments. Which is itself almost the sort of thing you'd need government for. It's not possible.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Stabenow amendment (blocking Medicare cuts) was not agreed to 46-54.

We move on to the Portman (R-OH) amendment which would allow the CBO to use "dynamic scoring" (i.e. "Reaganomics is reaaaallll") when reporting impact of bills on the budget.

"Dynamic scoring is nothing more than an accounting gimmick... tax cuts did not grow our economy, they just grew our debt." ~ Bernie, in response.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Yes antivaxers who out of principle oppose our best way out of oil are a great people to support.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Disappointed he didn't say Brother Mouzone. :saddowns:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I wish I lived in a country where Bernie Sanders' thinking was the norm instead of what we have now :(

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

For the record I'm a Social-Democratic Keynesian one-world-government federalist who wishes the UN was as strong as the EU, and I do not endorse any of the views I am currently making. I am, however, sympathetic to the fundamental human desire to be free from the shackles of oppression. A government you are obligated to obey from birth could be interpreted as such, and anarchism is a natural result of that desire.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

a shameful boehner posted:

FYI, Joementum is this guy

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

The Stabenow amendment (blocking Medicare cuts) was not agreed to 46-54.

How does this work? Because I could swear I hear something about the house voting to increase medicare payments to doctors on the way home from work.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReidRansom posted:

How does this work? Because I could swear I hear something about the house voting to increase medicare payments to doctors on the way home from work.

This is super boring, so I'll just link to an article explaining it, but basically the House voted to make permanent a measure they've voted for each year for the last 17 years, but didn't want to make permanent before because it increases the deficit, so they liked pretending that it was only temporary.

The Stabenow amendment, which failed and wouldn't have done anything anyway, was about restricting the Senate Finance Committee from choosing fund allocations for the Medicare trust fund and zzzzzzzzzzz.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ReidRansom posted:

Doctors deserve to be paid for helping Medicare patients. We just need fewer patients using Medicare to get the help they need.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "Ted [Cruz] is a good friend and would be an outstanding President; however, I haven't ruled out an exploratory committee myself." ~ Louie Gohmert.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

:objection: Joementum doesn't poo poo on Millennials and fellate GenX nearly as often as Weigel.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

This is super boring, so I'll just link to an article explaining it, but basically the House voted to make permanent a measure they've voted for each year for the last 17 years, but didn't want to make permanent before because it increases the deficit, so they liked pretending that it was only temporary.

The Stabenow amendment, which failed and wouldn't have done anything anyway, was about restricting the Senate Finance Committee from choosing fund allocations for the Medicare trust fund and zzzzzzzzzzz.

So, they want to spend more and also reserve the right to spend less at the same time because they're stupid and our government is broken. Got it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

JT Jag posted:

who wishes the UN was as strong as the EU

Why do you hate the UN so much?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Doctors deserve to be paid for helping Medicare patients. We just need fewer patients using Medicare to get the help they need.

Eh, I'd argue we should just all be on medicare.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Ballz posted:

:objection: Joementum doesn't poo poo on Millennials and fellate GenX nearly as often as Weigel.

Am I being fellated without even realizing? Goddammit I hate when that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

They couldn't. So someone would make a state again. It's simple.

As much as I hate to agree with him fishmech is right. Anarchism relies on people not being selfish monsters, and as soon as law breaks down you have people using force to project personal power, which leads to all sorts of horrible poo poo.

• Locked thread