Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ShakeyDog posted:

Any recommendations for native american literature? I'm working on The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie right now and it owns. It's the first book in a while where I'll read a section and then want to go back and read it again to pick up on the subtext.

I just read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee and Custer Died For Your Sins so I'd like to keep reading stuff in this vein for a bit. I'm pretty ignorant still though. Are there any highly regarded authors from any of the plains tribes?

Read The Grass Dancer by Susan Power.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/46276.The_Grass_Dancer

Not just you, that applies to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeyDog
May 27, 2008

a kitten posted:

Read The Grass Dancer by Susan Power.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/46276.The_Grass_Dancer

Not just you, that applies to everyone.

Thanks! Somehow both this and Little Tree are checked out of the library right now. Guess someone else is barking up the same tree haha.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Highly recommending Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko for you, ShakeyDog.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dokmo posted:

I enjoyed Big John McCarthy's autobio Let's Get It On, which isn't exactly the most difficult read, but not terribly written either. Full of great anecdotes by someone who's been around the sport forever.

This one is perfect! Spot-on suggestion. Thank you man!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Hey I'm looking for a decently-long science fiction or fantasy series that I can listen to in audiobook format. As far as fantasy goes I have already covered all the 'standard' bases (Brooks, Goodkind, Jacques, GRRM, Tolkein, Eddings, Sanderson, Butcher, Salvatore, Hobb, Anthony, Jordan etc.) so I'm looking for something a little more off the beaten path. With sci-fi I'm not actually very well-read because I tend to like long running series and a lot of popular sci-fi seems to be one-shots (at least that I've seen, I haven't looked very hard).

Things I'm looking for in a series
1. Most importantly I really need it to have all of the books in audiobook format. I don't have free time to read English books on paper (mainly because I spend all my reading time reading Japanese books on paper). These are for listening to while walking/riding the train which takes up a few hours of every day.
2. I'd prefer it if the work isn't too snarky/cynical/self-aware. Despite being well aware of all the tropes I'd like to just lose myself in a fiction that still has that starry-eyed wonder quality. For example I LOVE Eddings' stuff, Elenium and Malorean are two of my favorite fantasy series.
3. It has to be a series that has at least 3 or more books.

And that's it. Not being too picky here. Honestly if you can hit those three criteria and the books aren't absolute drivel or dry enough to put me to sleep when I'm trying to walk I'll try out just about anything.

Incidentally, having just finished it, The Wheel of Time series in audiobook format is amazing. I can't imagine trying to actually read the books, but the two voices who do the audio versions are absolutely outstanding and they make it a breeze to sit down and listen to the whole series, long as it is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Getsuya posted:

Hey I'm looking for a decently-long science fiction or fantasy series that I can listen to in audiobook format. As far as fantasy goes I have already covered all the 'standard' bases (Brooks, Goodkind, Jacques, GRRM, Tolkein, Eddings, Sanderson, Butcher, Salvatore, Hobb, Anthony, Jordan etc.) so I'm looking for something a little more off the beaten path. With sci-fi I'm not actually very well-read because I tend to like long running series and a lot of popular sci-fi seems to be one-shots (at least that I've seen, I haven't looked very hard).

1. Most importantly I really need it to have all of the books in audiobook format. I don't have free time to read English books on paper (mainly because I spend all my reading time reading Japanese books on paper). These are for listening to while walking/riding the train which takes up a few hours of every day.
2. I'd prefer it if the work isn't too snarky/cynical/self-aware. Despite being well aware of all the tropes I'd like to just lose myself in a fiction that still has that starry-eyed wonder quality. For example I LOVE Eddings' stuff, Elenium and Malorean are two of my favorite fantasy series.

And that's it. Not being too picky here. Honestly if you can hit those three criteria and the books aren't absolute drivel or dry enough to put me to sleep when I'm trying to walk I'll try out just about anything.

Incidentally, having just finished it, The Wheel of Time series in audiobook format is amazing. I can't imagine trying to actually read the books, but the two voices who do the audio versions are absolutely outstanding and they make it a breeze to sit down and listen to the whole series, long as it is.

Have you considered branching out into historical fiction? The Aubrey-Maturin series or Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's Rifles series would both probably fit your criteria. Especially Aubrey-Maturin, there's a lot of wonder in their travels.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ShakeyDog posted:

Any recommendations for native american literature? I'm working on The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie right now and it owns. It's the first book in a while where I'll read a section and then want to go back and read it again to pick up on the subtext.

I just read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee and Custer Died For Your Sins so I'd like to keep reading stuff in this vein for a bit. I'm pretty ignorant still though. Are there any highly regarded authors from any of the plains tribes?

Dude, you need to read The Truth About Stories by Thomas King. That book is insanely good.

It's sort of nonfiction but it's an adaptation of a series of Massey Lectures and it retains an oral storytelling style in a way that goes beyond, say, Wagamese's intro in Keeper'n Me does, if that makes sense.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Have you considered branching out into historical fiction? The Aubrey-Maturin series or Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's Rifles series would both probably fit your criteria. Especially Aubrey-Maturin, there's a lot of wonder in their travels.

Sure! My dad is a huge historical fiction fan and we used to listen to some of this stuff on road trips so I wouldn't mind going back and listening to it all. I'm not sure if we listened to the Master and Commander series but I do remember hearing at least a little bit of Sharpe and his other big favorite was the Horatio Hornblower series.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Getsuya posted:

If you want to read more sci-fi try The Hyperion Cantos by Simmons, Uplift Universe by Brin, Foundation by Asimov, Ender's Game by Card, Vorkosigan Saga by Bujold, the aforementioned Dune by Herbert, and also Ringworld by Niven is a thing that exists that other people like even if I don't. You could also look into something like Weber's Honor Harrington series, McCaffrey's Pern, or something like the Star Wars novelizations which are all long-running series comprised of stand-alones and sub-series in the same universe, allowing you to read a couple and then go read something else for a while without worrying about losing the plot. Most if not all of these have audiobook format, but I didn't check them against any particular site since I don't know what you use.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Looking for some sci-fi recs

Books I've read and enjoyed:
Takeshi Kovacs
Anathem
Schild's Ladder
Blindsight
Accelerando
Jean Le Flambeur series
Rifters trilogy
First 2 Ender books

Getsuya posted:

The Jean Le Flambeur books are a fantastic fusion of sci-fi and fantasy. The prose is lush and gorgeous, the ideas are big and fantastical, I love everything about those books, and all are available in audio, only 3, but they're great.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Books I've read and enjoyed:
Takeshi Kovacs
Anathem
Schild's Ladder
Blindsight
Accelerando
Jean Le Flambeur series
Rifters trilogy
First 2 Ender books

The Jean Le Flambeur books are a fantastic fusion of sci-fi and fantasy. The prose is lush and gorgeous, the ideas are big and fantastical, I love everything about those books, and all are available in audio, only 3, but they're great.

I think you'd really enjoy Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. It starts with Quicksilver, and does take a little bit to ramp up, but it remains as a whole one of the favorite works I've read.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Anyone have a recommendation for a western? Trying to branch into the genre but I was never fond of the classic movies at all, so maybe a more modernly written piece? Or a modern twist on it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Galick posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a western? Trying to branch into the genre but I was never fond of the classic movies at all, so maybe a more modernly written piece? Or a modern twist on it?

Have you read Blood Meridian by McEwan?

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

Loving Life Partner posted:

Encounter with Tiber by John Barnes and Buzz Aldrin. It's one of my favorites but I never see it get recommended anywhere.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

tuyop posted:

Have you read Blood Meridian by McEwan?

He means McCarthy,, and I agree with him. It's crazy violent, though, so if you want something a little less brutal and a few years more modern you could also check out his Border Trilogy. The classic recommendations are McMurtry's Lonesome Dove and, Louis L'amour, and Zane Grey

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Galick posted:

The Son by Phillip Meyer

Getsuya posted:

The Chathrand Voyage series. It's four long books, it has that sense of wonder & adventure you're looking for in spades, and the audiobooks for all of them are awesome, with a perfect narrator.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Never read any westerns, but I'll give both of those a go. Thanks!

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Galick posted:

The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Galick posted:

Neither of these are classic westerns, but The Sisters Brothers by Patrick Dewitt and Butchers Crossing are both fantastic.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Galick posted:

Never read any westerns, but I'll give both of those a go. Thanks!

Cormac McCarthy's border trilogy starting with All the Pretty Horses is more classic western in tone. True Grit is also a really good classic western.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

funkybottoms posted:

He means McCarthy,, and I agree with him. It's crazy violent, though, so if you want something a little less brutal and a few years more modern you could also check out his Border Trilogy. The classic recommendations are McMurtry's Lonesome Dove and, Louis L'amour, and Zane Grey

Haha, oops. And I've recommended it a few times here as well! With the correct name.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
I just read (audio book) the first 3 books of the Gentleman Bastard series, and I loved it.

What else can you recommend like this book? I'm counting down till Scott Lynch releases the next book!

I've read The Hobbit, and TLOTR series, Harry Potter Series, and The Name of the Wind. but I haven't really read anything else.

mrbass21 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 27, 2015

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

mrbass21 posted:

I just read (audio book) the first 3 books of the Gentleman Bastard series, and I loved it.

What else can you recommend like this book? I'm counting down till Scott Lynch releases the next book!

I've read The Hobbit, and TLOTR series, Harry Potter Series, and The Name of the Wind. but I haven't really read anything else.

Across the Nightingale Floor springs to mind, sort of feudal fantasy Japan (don't look for exact corollaries with regard to culture, language, religion, cause this aint Shogun), and it doesn't have the whimsical sort of tone that the GB books have, but still very highly enjoyable.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So all this talk of westerns dovetails with something I've been looking for. I just finished up Shadow by K. J. Parker and while I'm planning on finishing up the Scavenger trilogy, I want to step away from the detached tone of Parker's work. But there are some particular elements that I'm looking for in a recommendation.

Shadow has an amnesiac protagonist who, in order to discover his sorted past, starts a kind of nomadic and aimless journey. Along the way he picks up details about his history, and while that mystery in and of itself interests me, it's not what I'm looking for. What I'm after is a sort of episodic series of incidents. Think wanderer, series of vignettes, that sort of thing. Bonus points if the places the protagonist visits are given particular focus and character... I want to get a strong sense of the qualities that sum up each stop on the protagonist's journey. So what we've got is like a wandering Samurai thing, or a western, or whatever. I'm not even picky about genre. I just love the aesthetic of a wandering individual impacting the places he/she visits with focus given to the character and uniqueness of those places. I don't care about the tone of the work so much as the structure, if that makes sense.

Red Country by Abercrombie and Bridge of Birds by Hughart have a little of this baked in, and I know Bridge is a favorite around here, but I've read both of those already.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
One of the strongest examples I've seen of what I believe you're referring to is in Miéville's Iron Council. Just keep in mind it's not the whole book - but there's a lot of what you seem to be looking for in there.

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit
Could anyone provide a recommendation for a good introduction to medieval history? I am looking for something that isn't too textbook-like and acts as a nice starting point for the subject.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

esn2500 posted:

Could anyone provide a recommendation for a good introduction to medieval history? I am looking for something that isn't too textbook-like and acts as a nice starting point for the subject.

The first book I ever read about medieval history was Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century, which I loved, continue to love, and will love no matter what anyone says about it.

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

dokmo posted:

The first book I ever read about medieval history was Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century, which I loved, continue to love, and will love no matter what anyone says about it.

Thanks for the recommendation! Definitely seems like what I'm looking for, and the author is quite acclaimed as well.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

esn2500 posted:

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but The Name Of The Rose serves as a great probe into the problems and ways of thinking of that period.

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but The Name Of The Rose serves as a great probe into the problems and ways of thinking of that period.

Some historical fiction can't hurt, given my aim isn't to memorize the chronological events during the period or all the great houses/dynasties etc etc. Also I have been enjoying Bernard Cornwell lately, so this is right up my alley.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

mrbass21 posted:

If you're willing to try SF, you might enjoy Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat books, another "master criminal" series. Be aware, however, that the quality drops off really hard after the first three or four books.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 22, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

mrbass21 posted:

You might enjoy the Nightrunner Series by Lynn Flewelling. It's a bit more campy then Gentleman bastards, but it's about a spy and his protege fighting necromantic forces of evil. On the other side there's Sherwood Smith's Inda which is...a complicated political drama set in a semi-Nordic fantasy world. Half way through the first book the main character becomes a pirate and starts building a fleet to hunt other pirates.

Food Guy posted:

After reading god knows how many books about people realising that they are gay and then have a huge angsty coming out journey, and so I would like some recommendations for queer fiction that doesn't involve any of that, or only involves a very minimal amount of coming out angst.

Also I meant to post this up and forgot until just now so I hope you're still interested. http://booklist.rassaku.net/ This is a guy's personal rec blog that he started with the intended goal of sorting out quality queer lit from the bad and boring stuff. The result is actually a pretty good rec list for science fiction and fantasy, along with a few other things. I haven't hated anything I picked off the list, and I second the strong recommendation for St. Olivia. It's just a fun book on top of being about queer youth without being a sappy bildungsroman with a melancholy ending.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Galick posted:

Try checking out Ed Gorman's westerns especially if you're looking for a hard-boiled twist on the genre.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Anyone have any thoughts on A Darker Shade of Magic? Vicious kept my interest but wasn't amazing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey guys I really want to read exciting books about spies in Nazi-occupied territory during WW2! I love tense and exciting stuff like that scene in the bar during Inglourious Basterds. Actually, all of that movie.

Recommend me a fiction and a non-fiction book? That way I can get a dose of the thrilling-but-not-realistic, along with the actual history.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's airport fiction at its finest but I did enjoy Garden of Beasts by Jeffrey Deaver.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend some good books written by firefighters or EMTs about their lives and professions?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Hey guys I really want to read exciting books about spies in Nazi-occupied territory during WW2! I love tense and exciting stuff like that scene in the bar during Inglourious Basterds. Actually, all of that movie.

Recommend me a fiction and a non-fiction book? That way I can get a dose of the thrilling-but-not-realistic, along with the actual history.

Declare by Tim Powers has some of what you're looking for, but it's got major fantasy overtones too, so as long as you're okay with that I would highly recommend it. Powers' shtick is that he takes unanswered questions in history and gives them fantastical answers via the supernatural. This particular book takes place over a few decades, but the first couple segments are based in and around WWII. The very first is a prolonged cat-and-mouse game in Nazi occupied France, and the fantasy elements are seriously downplayed for that segment. It gets crazier later on, but it's great. I can't speak to other espionage fiction. Not really in my wheelhouse. Hopefully that helps though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Hedrigall posted:

It's not spies and espionage but just yesterday at lunch a friend recommended The Last Battle: When US and German Soldiers Joined Forces in the Waning Hours of World War II in Europe as a quick-reading, cinematic, non-fiction book.