Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Has anyone actually tested how people choose where to work or shop? It seems absolutely random.

To test things out the other night I bought up a huge 25 tile map and made 4 cities in the corners, huge distance between them. Each town was pretty much identical but I built them one at a time. The first town worked great. ALmost no one would drive because the shops and jobs were all within a few blocks in any direction. I made a 2nd town patterned after the first but I noticed way more traffic, way more in both towns. It seemed half the people in town A worked in town B. So I made town C, same story, more traffic, less walking. People would live in town A, shop in town B, and work in town C. Finally I made a 4th town, even worse traffic, I had to add a train system between the towns which became extremely busy for such tiny populations (each town was about 3,000 people).

So I thought maybe it just takes some generations for people to sort things out, to move to the right town, to shuffle into a closer job. I let the game run on full speed while I did some things around the house and had dinner. When I came back, nothing was better. The train was actually making a huge profit and was moving about 1/4 of the maps population each week between the 4 towns.

Maybe I missed something, but it seems people don't really take distance into account when picking where to work or shop, and there are no mechanics in order that slowly shuffle people to either move closer to their job when housing opening up, or pick a closer job when a job opens up.

This essentially makes trying to make any sort of realistic mixed-use city useless. You actually are better off clumping different types of zones in massive segregated areas so you can perfectly control the traffic flows. When you try to build local shopping or employment centres for districts it's far more likely the people using them will be from across town while the people next door will ignore those shops to drive across town.

Seems pretty easy to fix. Just have cims weigh distance more heavily (or at all) when picking where to go shop or play and have cims re-check for closer housing or a closer job every X weeks/months. I mean that's how it works in real life. Sometimes i'll have to drive across town to go to some specialty shop that only exists there, but most shops are the same so you pick the closest one that fits the need. People generally try to live nearish their work, but sometimes jobs change and after putting up with a hellish commute, people move closer. Or they love where they live and keep looking for a similar job but closer to where they live.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Tsunami's on demand.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412924260
Have a tsunami delivered to your door step with a click of a button.

Galdarion
Apr 13, 2014
well can you build tokyo?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I can't stop subscribing to people's buildings. My cities are going to end up with nothing but real name brands and pop culture references at this rate.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Can I get some screenshots of cities built around highways? Here's mine right now:

There's major traffic jams at every roundabout but more importantly it looks like rear end :saddowns: I'd like to see some sensible/efficient ways to make the highway not split your city apart.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The first person view mod is amazing. Combining it with the follow vehicle function and a long elevated railway through your city and it's pure awesome.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Elman posted:

There's major traffic jams at every roundabout but more importantly it looks like rear end :saddowns: I'd like to see some sensible/efficient ways to make the highway not split your city apart.
I imagine it will look better once you actually fill everything in. You don't really have a city split by a highway so much as a city on one side and a little suburb thing on the other.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Elman posted:

Can I get some screenshots of cities built around highways? Here's mine right now:

It looks like you would benefit from upgrading the roads within your industrial district and giving it its own dedicated Highway connection. That, and connect your major commercial areas to the highway in a way that lets the industrial zone navigate to it. You want to keep trucks off of your city roads wherever possible. Consider a cargo train station by the commercial district, too- delivery trucks can spawn from there if you connect it to another cargo depot by your industries.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
So here's a question. Let's say you have one water source: a river flowing from north to south. If you place water treatment plants in the middle of the river, at some point in time the water flow reverses and poo starts pushing into the northern half, against the water flow. First of all, what? Secondly, what the hell do you do about that?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
The big die-off of 2088 took out 30,000 people and the city's future is uncertain, welp.

I've still got 4 tiles left so I'd hate for it to end, but if this is it then man, what a ride.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Elman posted:

The best things I could find to make it actually 'fit' without actually making the highway just be the basis of your traffic network are to have a parallel one way 4/6 lane road to the highway just a bit further in (but not that long, maybe a couple of 'cells' in a grid or something like that) with one way connections to the highway, and that a couple of connections from which you start to form the new neighbourhood. Bonus points if you raise the highway somewhere before or after, and link up one side to the other so it doubles as a turn around lane and gives you one direction of travel unimpeded. Not too many connections to not have too many intersections on that main road, and the highway doesn't tend to get stuck because too many cars want to go that way.

And obviously, give any industrial or commercial districts their own connection either to this road or to the highway. Place these connections at the end of a long road so that they don't have an intersection too quickly, and spread out perpendicularly from that.

I avoid roundabouts like the plague starting out around a highway, because no matter what I do, it ends up turning into 90% junctions, 10% actual zoning to keep traffic flowing.

e: For the poo water thing: placing dams will do that. Otherwise, the best thing is just to keep the pumps as far away from the sewage as you can. Damming it yourself between the two also helps a lot.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What is the minimum effectiveness of mass transit before your bus stops etc can be considered useless or laid down by an idiot?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Chewbot posted:

So here's a question. Let's say you have one water source: a river flowing from north to south. If you place water treatment plants in the middle of the river, at some point in time the water flow reverses and poo starts pushing into the northern half, against the water flow. First of all, what? Secondly, what the hell do you do about that?

Just reposition your pumps and dumps, you've already laid out the sewage pipes and electricity.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I could watch trucks go in and out of the freight cargo station all day, man this game is addictive and scratches that city building itch I've had for a while. Figuring out how to keep all the industrial trucks from clogging up my roads is a pain in the rear end. You do not want to see my road layouts.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Inspector_666 posted:

Just reposition your pumps and dumps, you've already laid out the sewage pipes and electricity.

Seems like putting the water treatment at the far south and pumps at the far north doesn't change anything. The poo just piles up and keeps pushing north like the edge of the map is a wall.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 26, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Chewbot posted:

Seems like putting the water treatment at the far south and pumps at the far north doesn't change anything. The poo just piles up and keeps pushing north like the edge of map is a wall.

Dam in between them (and probably 5 years ago by this point) would fix the problem until the inevitable shitnami.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Whoops! I know, I'll redo the bridge higher up that'll fix it.

Oh.

(I did figure it out, had to delete the track under it, then set to play, then watch as it lazily hauled itself up onto the track)

Also the Mars map (love that map) is almost Australian Outback looking, if you made one with a lut that was a touch redder and put a big rear end table cape style rock in it we could build our own Alice Springs. (edit: someone mod some gum trees!)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Can anyone think of some way a mod might make water more interesting? Right now it feels more like an annoyance and money sink, as there's not really any sort of "planning" involved or interesting problems to solve beyond "poop upstream" or "not enough pumps".

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Elman posted:

That's always fun.
Here's mine, currently sitting at 55.000 people:

There's a few more things like a cargo harbour sitting in the north, but nothing all that interesting.
And while it might look weird and janky as hell, I have no congestion at all.
I think you might need more on and off-ramps. Those things are amazingly versatile for solving traffic problems.

EDIT: Oops, sorry forgot timg

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

bitcoin bastard posted:

Dam in between them (and probably 5 years ago by this point) would fix the problem until the inevitable shitnami.

Heh, here's a fun expirement for an alt save file. Turn off all your sewage plants for a couple weeks and your pop will drop to a couple hundred. Turn em back on and everything builds up again within a couple weeks. Complete city reset of disturbing proportions (and now your entire population will probably die simultaneously in about 60 years).

Oh, and your water flow will self-correct. Guess it's time to build a dam.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Chewbot posted:

Heh, here's a fun expirement for an alt save file. Turn off all your sewage plants for a couple weeks and your pop will drop to a couple hundred. Turn em back on and everything builds up again within a couple weeks. Complete city reset of disturbing proportions.

Oh, and your water flow will self-correct. Guess it's time to build a dam.

*flips switch from poop to citizens*

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Red Mike posted:

a parallel one way 4/6 lane road to the highway just a bit further in (but not that long, maybe a couple of 'cells' in a grid or something like that) with one way connections to the highway, and that a couple of connections from which you start to form the new neighbourhood.

I wish there was a way to have something like Seattle's Viaduct, one way on one level, the opposite on the other.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

I wish there was a way to have something like Seattle's Viaduct, one way on one level, the opposite on the other.

As a Californian, double-decked viaducts always make me think "oh hell no" thanks to childhood memories of the Cypress Street Viaduct collapse in the '89 Loma Prieta Earthquake. :gonk:

That said, can't you do that using the no pillars mod?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409073164

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah this poo poo is pretty cool, but at the same time stacking roads/rail on anything that isn't a completely straight line is headache inducing. I really want a version that just lets me build on top of roads.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Let me build two lane highwaaaays

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413687519

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

As in one lane each direction? Its not an ideal solution, but you could always string two "ramps" next to eachother.

If you leave a tile's space between them, its even enough space to upgrade to normal freeways later on.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Does anyone have any good spots on the Passes map for hydro power? There's not much flow to begin with, but the power estimator is terrible.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

SynthOrange posted:

by the same guy: Some Roads

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I've been working on a Napa valley-esque farmlands. It's only about 12k people, but is 90% low-density, dirt roads and 4-lane roads (I wanted to make a city using the worst possible roads). I laid out the streets similar to how they do in Napa. Farmland's surprisingly hard to make look "full".

Aerial:

Western district:

Eastern district:

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 27, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mr. Powers posted:

Does anyone have any good spots on the Passes map for hydro power? There's not much flow to begin with, but the power estimator is terrible.

I don't think that there's a good spot for a dam on that map. I was unable to strike a balance between getting rivers to flow decently and preventing them from flooding absolutely everything.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That doesn't look a thing like the Napa Valley. I don't see a single massively sprawling vineyard. :colbert:

Looks good.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I don't think that there's a good spot for a dam on that map. I was unable to strike a balance between getting rivers to flow decently and preventing them from flooding absolutely everything.

It is still an awesome map, but I end up with poop harbor because of the low flow. That's not a bad thing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mr. Powers posted:

It is still an awesome map, but I end up with poop harbor because of the low flow. That's not a bad thing.

Yeah, I might go back and take another look at it at some point. There are a few decent spots for dams, mostly in the deeper gorges about midway up the mountain, but they tend to flood everything downstream.

e: The basic problem with making rivers in custom maps is the fact that, since the water is simulated, it needs to actually simulate flowing from its source. This means that if you make a change to the water source at the top of a mountain at one end of the map in order to fix a problem at the opposite end of the map you need to wait for the water to flow all the loving way across the map and then wait and see if that problem occurs. In River Valley I had an issue where my source was outperforming the drain and would slowly flood the map over the course of in game years, but since the depth of the river is so shallow I had a very fine window to work with. I basically had to run the simulation for 30 minutes, even using a mod to max out the simulation speed, in order to see if I had fixed the problem. It took me about five tries.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 27, 2015

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
That "more building names" mod is a keeper.

right next door to an elementary school, no less

yum!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bunleigh posted:

That "more building names" mod is a keeper.

right next door to an elementary school, no less

yum!
I grabbed it and got a Heavy Fedora Assembly. :allears:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Chewbot posted:

I've been working on a Napa valley-esque farmlands. It's only about 12k people, but is 90% low-density, dirt roads and 4-lane roads (I wanted to make a city using the worst possible roads). I laid out the streets similar to how they do in Napa. Farmland's surprisingly hard to make look "full".

Aerial:

Western district:

Eastern district:

Use custom parks with the field texture to make your farms look bigger and more realistic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Subyng posted:

Use custom parks with the field texture to make your farms look bigger and more realistic.

This is really lame though. Surely someone could mod in larger plots for farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

Chewbot posted:

Aerial:

Western district:

Eastern district:

This is beautiful man. I love it when people hand craft small rural towns: