Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
goddamn that really put me in the mood for bok choy now. Never had that fried chicken but it looks wonderful as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
yeah, I only read about korean fried chicken so far...it looks delicious

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It is the superior fried chicken, imo. Usually Korea takes western foods and puts an insanely weird spin on it, pizza for example. OTOH, Koreans took fried chicken and elevated it to a goddamn art form.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Soup of Asparagus Tails and Grilled Ham & Cheese. (All those asparagus ends normally snapped off and disposed of I freeze for soups such as this)

Bacon & Cabbage with good dollop of Creme Fraiche. (Getting an actual bacon joint is nigh on impossible around here so had to use slab bacon.)

Chicken Adobe with Black Rice

Pork Chop, Root Veg, Escarole

Pasta with Artichoke and Sausage.

Roasted a Cauliflower and served it with a Mac & Cheese sauce.

Vegetable Curry with Poori

(And a vain re-post)

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

A good post.

I'm actually making asparagus soup tomorrow. My girlfriend turned me onto to it, she's under the weather, and requested it. Would love another recipe to try it a different way since I just kind of winged it

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Cavenagh posted:

I just realized how I'm going to indulge my cravings for mac and cheese without going against doctor's orders to avoid pasta. Thanks!

e: even if that does appear to be macaroni in the 2nd pic, I'm still inspired

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Those crispy bits. That looks so good.

I decided to fry up some chicken today.

Fried chicken, pearl barley risotto with sweetcorn, watercress, chive, spring onion, cucumber, carrot.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Cavenagh posted:

Cauliflower and I have a special thing going, but what the two of you did together in this pic is another level. Please post the directions so I can put my body in the correct position to do this to a head of cauliflower some day soon.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Ditto what everyone else said, I want to cauliflower like that please!

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Stir fried tofu with broccoli, water chestnuts and zucchini noodles.

emotive fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 27, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You got some weird colors goin on there dog. Also, I can't see much, your photo is all blurry.

:v: nah but seriously, those colors are whack

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

You got some weird colors goin on there dog. Also, I can't see much, your photo is all blurry.

Yeah, you're right. I replaced it with a different one. Probably not any better. I didn't care enough to spend much time to correcting the horrible color casts in my kitchen... and I'm colorblind :(

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Cavenagh posted:

Soup of Asparagus Tails and Grilled Ham & Cheese. (All those asparagus ends normally snapped off and disposed of I freeze for soups such as this)

Gonna buck the cauli-lovin' trend (although that DOES look great also!) and say I want that soup. All of it. With the sandwich for dipping (I am so uncouth). That looks like smooth asparagus goodness and my stomach just rumbled.

franco posted:

Have an idea for the rest of the cheese and I promise there's no chicken involved!

Taleggio adventures: Part Deux. Oven-baked spuds (rubbed with olive oil and sat on beds of coarse sea salt) quartered. Sauce is butter/shallot/garlic/leek/white wine/double cream. Topped with torn taleggio and chopped, fried, smoked, streaky bacon.

Before going in the oven all assembled:

Ready for action:

Rich as hell (a good thing) and simple too (also a good thing).

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.
I'm not very experienced at cooking, but I've been trying to expand my repertoire. Today I decided to make my go-to for order out Thai food: pra ram chicken. I used this recipe. I was nervous about making something brand new to me, but I thought that it turned out absolutely delicious! It was definitely better than the take out I order. The only thing that didn't turn out exactly like I wanted was that the peanut sauce was a little thin. It tasted great, but it was just a little runnier than I wanted. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tweak that recipe to make it thicken up a little?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Casu Marzu posted:

Is it weird that I have full color sight and like the dark mauve and broccoli greens on what looks like old pine? Seriously, that photo appeals to me.

Oh, wait, that's the replacement. Well, I like this one that I am looking at right now.

Wonder what the old one looked like.

edit: I saw a video last week about colorblind people wearing special glasses and seeing real color for the first time and it made me sniffle like an idiot at a bar to the point where people were asking me if I was okay and I had to show them the video and they teared up too. Fair warning.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 27, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

emotive posted:

Yeah, you're right. I replaced it with a different one. Probably not any better. I didn't care enough to spend much time to correcting the horrible color casts in my kitchen... and I'm colorblind :(

Haha, Im colorblind too. If you use anything like PS or Lightroom (or I think even Aperture), you should be able to create a custom WB once and apply it as a preset to all your food photos.

This one looks a lot better. Would eat that.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Potato leak soup. So simple and so good. It's even good cold.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Bob_McBob posted:

Also, banana bread

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-who-baked-banana-bread-spends-entire-party-anx,38308/

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

CobwebMustardseed posted:

I'm not very experienced at cooking, but I've been trying to expand my repertoire. Today I decided to make my go-to for order out Thai food: pra ram chicken. I used this recipe. I was nervous about making something brand new to me, but I thought that it turned out absolutely delicious! It was definitely better than the take out I order. The only thing that didn't turn out exactly like I wanted was that the peanut sauce was a little thin. It tasted great, but it was just a little runnier than I wanted. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tweak that recipe to make it thicken up a little?

That sauce recipe has water in it, so you could just leave out the water, or reduce it more. Also, the fact that you're basically poaching the chicken is kinda weird to me; I would skip that entirely and instead cook the chicken with a little oil (remove one tbsp of oil from the sauce & use it) so it gets caramelized and brown and tasty.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nicol Bolas posted:

That sauce recipe has water in it, so you could just leave out the water, or reduce it more. Also, the fact that you're basically poaching the chicken is kinda weird to me; I would skip that entirely and instead cook the chicken with a little oil (remove one tbsp of oil from the sauce & use it) so it gets caramelized and brown and tasty.

I find that a lot of Asian food cultures don't believe in browning meat unless it's street meat.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?
I was in the mood for pizza last night, so I made a chicken, mushroom and pancetta pizza. What I've learned is that I need some practice on my pizza dough technique. The texture wasn't quite right.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Casu Marzu posted:

I find that a lot of Asian food cultures don't believe in browning meat unless it's street meat.

Yeah, aside from grilling it's not a technique. I think the culinary philosophy is that meat is crude and its flavor/fragrance should be obscured, which is pretty different from the post-Middle Ages European philosophy (meat should taste even more of itself).

That said, I'd eat that!

e: Here's the article I'm thinking of. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/03/26/394339284/how-snobbery-helped-take-the-spice-out-of-european-cooking

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

RedTonic posted:

Yeah, aside from grilling it's not a technique. I think the culinary philosophy is that meat is crude and its flavor/fragrance should be obscured, which is pretty different from the post-Middle Ages European philosophy (meat should taste even more of itself).

That said, I'd eat that!

e: Here's the article I'm thinking of. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/03/26/394339284/how-snobbery-helped-take-the-spice-out-of-european-cooking

Totally. Bulgogi in the US is much better than in Korea because you might actually get a few brown bits accidentally. Also like 4 cups less sugar.

Cerena
Jan 7, 2014

I made puff pastry, then put capers and tomatoes on the bottom, then cream cheese mixed with dill and diced onion, then topped it with smoked salmon.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Put my no knead bread to use as a pizza crust and it ruled. Cooked it hot and fast, topped with classic red sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, hot peppers and olives.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Cerena posted:

I made puff pastry, then put capers and tomatoes on the bottom, then cream cheese mixed with dill and diced onion, then topped it with smoked salmon.

That is so pretty it's almost a shame to eat it...I said almost.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

CobwebMustardseed posted:

Use a natural/health food brand of crunchy peanut butter (a thick type with no added oil or sugars). Here in Australia we would use sanitarium brand which is 100% peanuts.
Add a teaspoon of red curry paste if you have it. Use the dark thai soy sauce too over standard Chinese/Japanese soy. Dark Thai soy sauce is thick and sweet (but not as sweet as kecap manis)
Use chicken thighs. Like mentioned before it's pretty common to poach meat in sauce for many asian recipes, thigh meat always tastes better than breast if you do that method.
Definitely don't add water, and if the sauce is too thin, remove meat and veg, and simmer the sauce alone 10min to thicken

E: Re-read the recipe, they poach the chicken in water, then re-add at the end?
Fry garlic, onion, ginger, galangal, lemongrass, curry paste or whatever your aromatics are going to be, add rest of the sauce ingredients (peanut butter and soy etc), mix. Add coconut milk and cook the chicken in the coconut milk and sauce mix!
Way too much sugar in that IMO as well, that would need a lot of lime or lemon in it to balance.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 29, 2015

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I'm highly flattered by all the recipe requests. So, here they are, for what they are.

To Roast A Cauliflower:

Heat oven to about 500f, 250c. High.

Remove leaves and immerse head in simmering flavourful liquid. I use white wine, some olive oil, chilli flakes, Lemon juice, sugar and seasoning.
Cook until tender enough that a knife easily pokes through the stalk. 20 minutes or so.

Drain and transfer to roasting pan and roast in oven, rotating every now and then, until brown and awesome.

Sauce with a thinner than normal Cheese sauce, poured over. I like using a mix of Goat Cheese, Cream Cheese and Parmesan in a Bechemel type sauce, made using chicken stock instead of milk.

The Asparagus soup is simply immerse a roughly chopped bunch of vegetable matter in stock that covers it by around an inch. Simmer until it's all tender. Blitz with whatever blending instrument you have. Pass through sieve to remove fibrous bits. Return to heat. Season, to taste, using Salt, Pepper, Cream and an acid. I used Nutmeg and Lemon Juice for this one, but Cardamom and Coriander seed work well too. As does chilli and many other things.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Cheapo Chicken Marsala, mushrooms cooked in the sauce. The side is boil in a bag rice and green beans. I thought it turned out pretty good.

bosko
Dec 13, 2006
Eggplant, Mozzarella, and Saffron Rice Bake (http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/eggplant-mozzarella-and-saffron-rice-bake)

Is Meatless Monday cheating if half the recipe is cheese?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Admiral Bosch posted:

Cheapo Chicken Marsala, mushrooms cooked in the sauce. The side is boil in a bag rice and green beans. I thought it turned out pretty good.

Brown your chicken more!! It's the best part!

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Brown your chicken more!! It's the best part!

I have a couple more chicken breasts so I'll be making it again later this week. Advice duly noted, thanks!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Admiral Bosch posted:

I have a couple more chicken breasts so I'll be making it again later this week. Advice duly noted, thanks!

But mind that you don't burn it like I did when advised to let my stuff brown a bit more. Be patient, use a medium heat. Let the pan and oil get to temp before adding meat.

I've smoked out a few kitchens in my time trying to learn to cook...

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've smoked out [in] a few kitchens in my time

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Admiral Bosch posted:

GWS wiki can be hit or miss, but this is a rock solid recipe that I use in my regular food rotation. This is pretty much the perfect way to make a pan sauce

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Chicken_Marsala

drat now I want some haha

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Admiral Bosch posted:

Whenever you have a plate of brown food consider upping your green/other color items. If just for a pic's sake, some parsley usually helps. Also some paprika in your breading is the 70s-80s way of adding a bit of rouge to your roast, and it still works.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

every drat day

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

This is also one of the leading causes of house fires my dad attends to with the Red Cross. Drunk or high people trying to deep fry something.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Suspect Bucket posted:

This is also one of the leading causes of house fires my dad attends to with the Red Cross. Drunk or high people trying to deep fry something.

Years of food service work means I perform inebriated frying with professional aptitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
a great day to eat some more vegetables, so I made a spinach salad;

spinach, soy beans, carrots, onion, spanish pepper, bacon and pine nuts
with a dressing made from coconutmilk, orange zest, lime juice, chili sauce, grated ginger and some salt

it was really nice, but I'm going to leave out the bacon next time,
the dressing is a winner, although not the most appetizing thing to look at.

• Locked thread