Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Just lie about it. Much safer.

I'm sure one of us Everest Goons could photoshop you on the summit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Whoops hadn't been looking at this thread in a while.
I'd like to enter for 16 if it is still available.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So what exactly do mountaineers do for a living that they can spend months and months trying to kill themselves every year?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

So what exactly do mountaineers do for a living that they can spend months and months trying to kill themselves every year?

A lot of the real pro ones work as tour guides, that way they get to climb the mountains and also get paid. They also work in mountain rescue and stuff like that. Some get sponsored. Ueli Steck who is exceptionally good is sponsored by Mountain Hardware

I was trying to find out if Steck was climbing this year and came across this talk featuring him and Sir Chris Bonington. I haven't listened to it yet but thought I should share it here anyway.
http://mtnmeister.com/meister/sir-chris-bonington-ueli-steck/

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ZombieLenin posted:

The good ones run trekking companies running treks on different mountains, and others have sponsors.

What's mind blowing the first time you learn is the amount of time an average outfit will spend on site. They'll often be on the mountain for months at a time waiting for the perfect window to summit; when I heard that, I got a little jealous just thinking about the time off from work the regular climbers get, and the amount of cash they can just throw at getting to Everest.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Fojar38 posted:

aka a san francisco arbys, the closest most goons will venture to the himalayas

There are no Arby's in sf :(. You have to go down the peninsula.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rondette posted:

Sir Chris Bonington

This can't be a real name.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

raditts posted:

This can't be a real name.

You're thinking of his brother, Sir Dick.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Spazzle posted:

There are no Arby's in sf :(. You have to go down the peninsula.

Only a little bit, it's in South SF, isn't it?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
How hilarious would it be if the bitcoin guy can't even manage to get to the base camp

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Ursine Asylum posted:

Yeah, take the king's highway through lands of the dead and you're there.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

nerdz posted:

How hilarious would it be if the bitcoin guy can't even manage to get to the base camp

pretty sure the only way this can happen is if they blow a tire and even then it will only be a few hours delay. no, let's hope the sherpas revolt again before he gets there

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

pretty sure the only way this can happen is if they blow a tire and even then it will only be a few hours delay. no, let's hope the sherpas revolt again before he gets there

I'm here to help and listen

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
There used to be an Arby's in the outer sunset off of Sloat but it closed. This is important for information for unqualified mountaineers.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
The arby's is an ancient one on el camino near west borough. It's way South San Francisco though, not really close to the city proper in any way.

They have seating for like 8 people.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Rondette posted:

A lot of the real pro ones work as tour guides, that way they get to climb the mountains and also get paid. They also work in mountain rescue and stuff like that. Some get sponsored. Ueli Steck who is exceptionally good is sponsored by Mountain Hardware

I was trying to find out if Steck was climbing this year and came across this talk featuring him and Sir Chris Bonington. I haven't listened to it yet but thought I should share it here anyway.
http://mtnmeister.com/meister/sir-chris-bonington-ueli-steck/

Ueli Stecks fight with the Sherpas in 2013 was loving nuts. That was the first I'd heard about it. Maybe that lead sherpa was suffering some form of altitude sickness and got all fight-y like Lincoln Hall did back in 06? I dunno.

e: Thanks for sharing, Rondette

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

nerdz posted:

If you die before you get to base camp, do they still leave your body where it falls?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Ursine Asylum posted:

If I'm taking the BART down there I might as well stop at the Jolibees right at the San Bruno stop first (in tanforan)

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Dely Apple posted:

If I'm taking the BART down there I might as well stop at the Jolibees right at the San Bruno stop first (in tanforan)

Got your crampons and ice axe?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Hunterhr posted:

Got you crampons and ice axe?

It's just base camp compared to going all the way to the hellish industrial wastelands of SSF and SFO. Whole parties are lost in the Airport Icefields, never seen again except for lost gloves amongst the Cinnabons.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
There are more corpses within one mile of that Arby's than there are on Everest.

For now.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dely Apple posted:

Eating Jolibee is more dangerous than mountaineering imo, that poo poo is toxic

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

nerdz posted:

I'm banking on it.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

DumbparameciuM posted:

Maybe that lead sherpa was suffering some form of altitude sickness and got all fight-y like Lincoln Hall did back in 06? I dunno.

Almost literally impossible. Ethnic Tibetans, including ethnic Sherpas, are almost entirely immune to effects of altitude.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

So I'd like to place a side-bet: There's going to be a single, actual provable case of manslaughter or murder somewhere between basecamp and summit this year, probably committed with a climbing tool.

By the by, I ran "everest dead idiot gambling twenty-fifteen' through google translate. Here's what it spat out:

बीस-पन्ध्र जुवा सगरमाथा मृत मूर्ख

म समलिङ्गी हुँ

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

By the by, I ran "everest dead idiot gambling twenty-fifteen' through google translate. Here's what it spat out:

बीस-पन्ध्र जुवा सगरमाथा मृत मूर्ख

म समलिङ्गी हुँ

I was going to do this with at least real hindi words (for the record while I speak and read hindi fairly fluently, my written abilities are...dubious) but I completely forgot.

एवेरेस्ट पर मृत्यु की सट्टेबाजी २०१५

which very roughly (and probably with the language skills of a five year old) translates to Deaths on Everest Betting Pool, 2015.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Paramemetic posted:

Almost literally impossible. Ethnic Tibetans, including ethnic Sherpas, are almost entirely immune to effects of altitude.

Sherpas have to get taken off the mountain each year with altitude sickness. poo poo, in S1E1 of the Everest reality TV show with Russel Brice/IMG, one of the Sherpas dies due to HAPE or HACE or something. Sure they're adapted better for life at that altitude but they're humans, not mountain climbing terminators.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SC Bracer posted:

I was going to do this with at least real hindi words (for the record while I speak and read hindi fairly fluently, my written abilities are...dubious) but I completely forgot.

एवेरेस्ट पर मृत्यु की सट्टेबाजी २०१५

which very roughly (and probably with the language skills of a five year old) translates to Deaths on Everest Betting Pool, 2015.

Nice try buddy, that clearly says 2024

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Any chance to get Brian Blessed to yell at the mountains this year? I don't care which ones, it's just magical :allears:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
First blood for the season goes to Annapurna:

quote:

A Finnish climber and his local guide died Wednesday while descending from the summit of Mount Annapurna in the first casualties of this mountaineering season, a Nepal mountaineering official said.

Attempts were being made to bring the bodies of Samuli Mansikka, 36, and Pemba Sherpa, 35, back to the base camp from the 7,000-meter (22,290-foot) point where they were found, Mountaineering Department official Gyanendra Shrestha said.

The two climbers had reached the 8,091-meter (26,540-foot) summit on Tuesday and were descending on Wednesday when they died of causes that were not immediately known, Shrestha said.

A rescue helicopter was sent to help and their team members were also trying to bring down the bodies, he said.

They were the first casualties of Nepal's spring climbing season, which began this month and ends in May.

Annapurna is the world's 10th highest mountain and among the most dangerous to climb.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/mountain-climber-heading-to-mount-everest-to-control-his-smart-home/

A solo climb without oxygen so you can test your smart home from the summit? Sure, why not.

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar
of course he also does crossfit.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/mountain-climber-heading-to-mount-everest-to-control-his-smart-home/

A solo climb without oxygen so you can test your smart home from the summit? Sure, why not.

don't tell me, i want to see if i can guess this guy's race

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

also good loving luck to anyone who guessed 0 this year

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I need to know exactly when he plans to summit, so I can light his house on fire

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

theflyingexecutive posted:

also good loving luck to anyone who guessed 0 this year

I thought it was about Everest, this was on Annapurna.

Also, how many Sherpas are named Pemba?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I congratulate them on their successful ascent of Annapurna! (shame about the descent)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

xsuperkidx posted:

of course he also does crossfit.

Well he runs with one of those gas masks all the time and is prepared for the high altitude.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I thought it was about Everest, this was on Annapurna.

Also, how many Sherpas are named Pemba?

I'm talking about smart house guy biting it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

gohuskies posted:

Samuli Mansikka

I remember this guy from Alan Arnette's K2 climb last year: http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2014/07/19/k2-housess-chimney-camp-2/.

• Locked thread