Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yea i think its gonna come in around 15 gb

course i cant make it till all the emails are downloaded, and theyre coming in like 10 at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Hypertension is considered a bonus?

I'd still offer to throw an ssd in your boss's mac just to suck up. Unless OSX is so majestic you don't get a noticeable speedup on an SSD.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

when they were making mac outlook I think microsoft just grabbed some abandoned email client off sourceforge and is hoping no one will notice

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Hypertension is considered a bonus?

I'd still offer to throw an ssd in your boss's mac just to suck up. Unless OSX is so majestic you don't get a noticeable speedup on an SSD.
lol. the difference between this 5400rpm crap the fruit store installed and a samsung evo is gonna be facemelting. shes gonna love it.

just dont feel like driving an hour round trip to do it before she leaves town for a week.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/20/new-apple-tv-wwdc-siri-app-store/?utm_source=osx&utm_medium=push&utm_campaign=front

those fuckin cunts

glad i didnt get that appletv. what kind of rear end in a top hat company discounts a product before releasing a new model?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

echinopsis posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/20/new-apple-tv-wwdc-siri-app-store/?utm_source=osx&utm_medium=push&utm_campaign=front

those fuckin cunts

glad i didnt get that appletv. what kind of rear end in a top hat company discounts a product before releasing a new model?

"according to buzzfeed"

lol don't get too excited

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the apple tv interface was fuckin lame

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

echinopsis posted:

:agreed:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

have we all agreed that the person with the mondo mailbox should be splitting their content in to a server-side archive mailbox for anything older than 6mo or 1yr and be done with it? yes? good.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yea think outlook would still index those items, returning us to square 1 tho

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Exchange Search The ability to quickly search messages becomes even more critical with archive mailboxes. For Exchange Search, there's no difference between the primary and archive mailbox. Content in both mailboxes is indexed. Because the archive mailbox isn't cached on a user's computer (even when using Outlook in Cached Exchange Mode), search results for the archive are always provided by Exchange Search. When searching the entire mailbox in Outlook 2010, search results include the users' primary and archive mailbox.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979795%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx

split that poo poo up, yo

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

try sucking it off

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I've been using nod32 happily for our corp av for years now since we dumped symantec back on v9. but now we're being offered symantec endpoint for free. are they still a total disaster on the antivirus front (more so than the rest anyway) or should I go ahead and try to save some cash

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

last experience with endpoint consisted of it deleting its own updates and deciding the exchange server was portscanning each PC and blocking it

it was also very upset that someone wanted to try connecting to shares but I forget what error that transgression caused.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I've been using nod32 happily for our corp av for years now since we dumped symantec back on v9. but now we're being offered symantec endpoint for free. are they still a total disaster on the antivirus front (more so than the rest anyway) or should I go ahead and try to save some cash

Do you get anything other than a pat on the back for saving some money?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

can someone help me fix my boss's outlook

it would lock up every time she opened it (she has ~86,000 emails / 15gb) so I reformatted / reinstalled os x and clean installed outlook for mac 2011. while rebuilding its pulling down emails like 2-3 at a time and slowly becoming less responsive over time. mail.app has also been pretty unresponsive with the acct and syncing the outbox emails out hours after the fact. the only thing that seems to work correctly is the web app.

outlook 2011 doesn't handle more than 10k items in the inbox well. go on owa and move most of the mail to a new folder tree that is not under inbox. also clear out sent items and deleted items. after that is done quit outlook, cmd click it and delete the old identity. create a new identity. it should download the most recent ~1000 messages, then start downloading the oldest messages ~100 at a time. If you are on a slow connection set message headers to download first and it will finish a lot faster. 15gb is not that much if you are on exchange 2010/2013. just keep your inbox, and sent items folders smaller, and mind the send and receive groups.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Exchange Search The ability to quickly search messages becomes even more critical with archive mailboxes. For Exchange Search, there's no difference between the primary and archive mailbox. Content in both mailboxes is indexed. Because the archive mailbox isn't cached on a user's computer (even when using Outlook in Cached Exchange Mode), search results for the archive are always provided by Exchange Search. When searching the entire mailbox in Outlook 2010, search results include the users' primary and archive mailbox.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979795%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx

split that poo poo up, yo

if you are on windows you have to have proplus/enterprise to use in place archive. on mac you have to have the office 365 version which is a huge gently caress you from microsoft. just buy a more expensive copy of the software you already bought or use owa for searching old email like a poor.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

my "solution" was to get her an ssd and to have them send me a pst of all her email cause its downloading like 10 at a time before deciding to stop for an hour. lead time on the pst is gonna be a fuckin week lmao kill me

i think the host told me they wont do in place archiving for me so

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

my "solution" was to get her an ssd and to have them send me a pst of all her email cause its downloading like 10 at a time before deciding to stop for an hour. lead time on the pst is gonna be a fuckin week lmao kill me

i think the host told me they wont do in place archiving for me so

Does microsoft offer a hosted exchange service?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SYSV Fanfic posted:

there's a lot of really lovely resellers who will

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

We had to roll endpoint at my work last year. . . Overall it isn't completely godawful, but when it goes to scan it crushes the user experience (but from what I understand from a meeting I was in the other day, a coming update will make it shove its work to lowest priority when a user is logged in so that might alleviate the issue)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Do you get anything other than a pat on the back for saving some money?

nope

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

enotnert posted:

We had to roll endpoint at my work last year. . . Overall it isn't completely godawful, but when it goes to scan it crushes the user experience (but from what I understand from a meeting I was in the other day, a coming update will make it shove its work to lowest priority when a user is logged in so that might alleviate the issue)

yeah, that kind of thing is why I stuck with nod32 for so long. user impact is minimal for realtime scanning and the post-update scans, and if you force a full drive scan for some reason even that isn't so bad. at least with SEP being free I can give it a go on a few systems and see how it behaves

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

I'd stick with nod and if anyone ever asks, tell them you read a white paper where the TCO was higher.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my old macbook is slow and lovely :(

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Silver Alicorn posted:

macbook is slow and lovely :(

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

yeah, that kind of thing is why I stuck with nod32 for so long. user impact is minimal for realtime scanning and the post-update scans, and if you force a full drive scan for some reason even that isn't so bad. at least with SEP being free I can give it a go on a few systems and see how it behaves

Also, they did provide us with an easily deployable MSI, granted the one issue is it required/forced like 3 reboots and since I was given a week to deploy it over ~400 machines, I had to inform my users to please not run any intense calculations that would take days for the next week and a half.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i have my iphone's ringer volume turned all the way up, but when i get calls, it just buzzes. does that mean it's broken, or did i turn off the ringer somehow?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

prefect posted:

i have my iphone's ringer volume turned all the way up, but when i get calls, it just buzzes. does that mean it's broken, or did i turn off the ringer somehow?

did you move the little silent switch?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

did you move the little silent switch?

...apparently i did

i was wondering what that "button" did; i must have bumped it or something :blush:

thanks

i really wish this thing had come with a manual. i feel like the greatest american hero whenever i use it

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

prefect posted:

...apparently i did

i was wondering what that "button" did; i must have bumped it or something :blush:

thanks

i really wish this thing had come with a manual. i feel like the greatest american hero whenever i use it

yeah it's weird to me that the switch toggles silent or not silent and vibration is a separate switch in the settings app

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

I've started to get spam emails spoofed with my own address as the From:

can I flag these as spam without loving myself over?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

I've started to get spam emails spoofed with my own address as the From:

can I flag these as spam without loving myself over?

Who is your provider.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

spamasassin and a config I haven't quite got sorted out.

it depends on what OTHER precautions you have set up

maybe you can filter it so sender-from and envelope-from are both only valid from yourself if it's an authenticated session

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

echinopsis posted:

still better than any of the competitors

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

graph posted:

still better than any of the competitors

nope, 360's always been better :tipshat:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Nintendo Kid posted:

nope, 360's always been better :tipshat:

as a daily user of both, nope

atv really nailed a functional remote for controlling a media device

xbox is too focused on monetizing you with poo poo and the xbone is horribad

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

SYSV Fanfic posted:

office 365 is about $4 a month per mailbox. if you are a not for profit or educational user it is cheaper and if you want extra features like ad integration it can cost more.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sniep posted:

as a daily user of both, nope

atv really nailed a functional remote for controlling a media device

xbox is too focused on monetizing you with poo poo and the xbone is horribad

ding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

sometimes i accidentally launch steams bigpicture thing with the xbox controller, and it seems pretty good

but i have no use for it