Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Mogomra posted:

Are there any good flashlight apps for chumps that don't have the functionality built into their rom, and don't have root?

Everything I try turns off when the screen turns off... I just need it to keep going or keep the screen turned on. I don't need any strobe lights or anything.

I hate that HTC took it out of the quick settings in Lollipop. You can still say, "ok google, turn on flashlight" though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Camo Guitar posted:

Can someone recommend a decent journal/diary app for S4? Need one to jot down adventures and thoughts with a pin/password lock and one that doesn't just link to the photos in gallery.

(Case in point I was using Day Journal for a while and when I cleared half the pics out of my gallery, they disapeared from the app too.)

I know you can use Evernote but a seperate app from my work stuff would be good. And hey, if it does more than just text and pics, even better.

I really like diaro! I don't know exactly how it handles images but I think they're their own thing, not part of the gallery. It has a taskbar notification to make quick entries and you can lock it with a pin.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Stevie Lee posted:

I hate that HTC took it out of the quick settings in Lollipop. You can still say, "ok google, turn on flashlight" though
I didn't know it was ever there? It's in the quick settings in the Sense 7 previews, so it should be back in a few months.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Stevie Lee posted:

You can still say, "ok google, turn on flashlight" though

When did they add this? THat's awesome.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I tried that last night and though Stevi Lee was messing with me. Is that an HTC only thing?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Can anyone recommend an app for tracking movie collections that includes a location field? I'm going to start putting the discs I've ripped in bins in the basement and I need a way to keep track of which discs are in which bins. Movie Xpress can do it but the UI is clunky and there's no option to ignore articles at the beginning of the movie name, so I'm hoping there's something better out there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Can anyone recommend an app for tracking movie collections that includes a location field? I'm going to start putting the discs I've ripped in bins in the basement and I need a way to keep track of which discs are in which bins. Movie Xpress can do it but the UI is clunky and there's no option to ignore articles at the beginning of the movie name, so I'm hoping there's something better out there.

DVD Profiler has a pretty robust system. I use the windows version but i think it can sync with the mobile version.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

I didn't know it was ever there? It's in the quick settings in the Sense 7 previews, so it should be back in a few months.
It's there in stock Lollipop.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mogomra posted:

I tried that last night and though Stevi Lee was messing with me. Is that an HTC only thing?

Yeah, it doesn't work on my 2013 Moto X

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, it doesn't work on my 2013 Moto X
Maybe you need 5.0/5.1? Works on my Nexus 5.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

spiralbrain posted:

Perfect thanks so much! Ill give this a shot.

edit: This works pretty good given search criteria. Only wish I could input a url for a specific video and have it pull it up.

What I end up doing is surfing through the YouTube app, and then telling the YouTube app to open the link to the video in YouTube Downloader. You can also hold your finger over a link in Chrome, and I think you can tell Chrome to send the link to YouTube Downloader.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I've got something very suspicious popping up from time to time. I've combed through all my installed apps but none of them seem sketchy. The screenshot with the zynga webpage is just me unsubscribing from a farmville2 mailing list.

This popup show up from time to time, no matter what app I'm in. Any ideas?

OR is there an approved malware scanner or are they all junk?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

AnimalChin posted:

I've got something very suspicious popping up from time to time. I've combed through all my installed apps but none of them seem sketchy. The screenshot with the zynga webpage is just me unsubscribing from a farmville2 mailing list.

What's up with that shield icon in your notification bar?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What's up with that shield icon in your notification bar?

It's billguard, an excellent finance app.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AnimalChin posted:

What I use to look for what apps might be popping up notifications or such, is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.denper.addonsdetector&hl=en

You might need root for all the features, not sure.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone know a free GPS app that isn't anything special? I just want to have a "hard copy" of a map incase I lose service on a journey

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Abu Dave posted:

Anyone know a free GPS app that isn't anything special? I just want to have a "hard copy" of a map incase I lose service on a journey

Nokia Here is free and actually pretty good, you can download whole areas/countries for offline navigation https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks, thats perfect.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

AnimalChin posted:

It's billguard, an excellent finance app.
Surely these two things could have nothing to do with each other.

Their privacy page explains that they can collect and can share your data:
https://www.billguard.com/privacy

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

cisco privilege posted:

Surely these two things could have nothing to do with each other.

Their privacy page explains that they can collect and can share your data:
https://www.billguard.com/privacy

I've been using Billguard for a very long time. This sketchy popup has only shown up in the past week or two.

I'm still not able to track down what's causing it, but I haven't seen it since I posted yesterday.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

AnimalChin posted:

I've been using Billguard for a very long time. This sketchy popup has only shown up in the past week or two.

I'm still not able to track down what's causing it, but I haven't seen it since I posted yesterday.

Just because you've been using it for a very long time, doesn't mean a recent update didn't introduce new behavior. Uninstall the app, restart your phone, and see if you're still getting the popups.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Is there a better ebook app than aldiko?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

tekz posted:

Moon

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Google Play Books

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is there a good (preferably free) app that can handle Garmin or DeLorme format maps? I have some hiking trail maps and it would be easier to stick them on my phone than to try and carry my old Garmin with me.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Anyone using Pocket Casts get podcast metadata shifting up the playlist? It's so weird, one podcast's metadata will be copied up the playlist continuously about once a second. I'm on a Galaxy Nexus with 4.3 so that's probably the problem.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

crimedog posted:

I'm on a Galaxy Nexus with 4.3 so that's probably the problem.

:stare:

It's time to upgrade, dude.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

tekz posted:

What are your needs? If you have a giant, intricately organized library with tons of series, you'll want to use Calibre Companion and FBreader.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ErIog posted:

What I end up doing is surfing through the YouTube app, and then telling the YouTube app to open the link to the video in YouTube Downloader. You can also hold your finger over a link in Chrome, and I think you can tell Chrome to send the link to YouTube Downloader.

Didnt even think about doing that! One more reason to love Android (share to anything).

Thanks!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

monster on a stick posted:

Is there a good (preferably free) app that can handle Garmin or DeLorme format maps? I have some hiking trail maps and it would be easier to stick them on my phone than to try and carry my old Garmin with me.

Don't know of an option for those specific map formats. GPX tracks are easily read however by many apps.

For that use though, Backcountry Navigator, Locus are paid options for maps, Oruxmaps for a free and open source option. I personally go for Backcountry Navigator but like all three.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

monster on a stick posted:

You can manually add them to google maps, I did this for a hike and bike trail myself. Then everyone has access to it!

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Are there any good to-do apps that sync with Google Calendar's to-do list? I've been using GTasks, and while the calendar's tasks appear on my phone, when I check them off on my phone, it isn't reflected on my calendar.

Also, any recommendations for RSS readers? I was using Feedly and loving it, but apparently you have to pay a subscription fee to port items from Feedly to Evernote, which I would prefer not to do.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Pinball posted:

Are there any good to-do apps that sync with Google Calendar's to-do list? I've been using GTasks, and while the calendar's tasks appear on my phone, when I check them off on my phone, it isn't reflected on my calendar.

Tasks: Astrid To-Do List Clone

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pinball posted:

Also, any recommendations for RSS readers? I was using Feedly and loving it, but apparently you have to pay a subscription fee to port items from Feedly to Evernote, which I would prefer not to do.
Tasks is an app that is just for Tasks without anything extra which I'm guessing if you're happy with Tasks in GMail and Calendar you'll be happy with here.

As for the RSS service, I just switched to Feedly from The Old Reader. You are not likely to find better than Feedly for free.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Amy ideas why I wouldn't be hearing text notifications on my Moto G? I'm using LightFlow for notification control, so I've turned off sounds within individual apps.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Amy ideas why I wouldn't be hearing text notifications on my Moto G? I'm using LightFlow for notification control, so I've turned off sounds within individual apps.
Lollipop or KitKat?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Lollipop or KitKat?

Lollipop, 5.0.1. I wonder if LightFlow is getting kicked out of memory; I've noticed Lux, SwipePad, and Tasker dying occasionally.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pinball posted:

If you're nerdy enough to host it yourself, Tiny Tiny RSS with the accompanying android app is the best RSS solution.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Wonderful, thank you!

LastInLine posted:

Tasks is an app that is just for Tasks without anything extra which I'm guessing if you're happy with Tasks in GMail and Calendar you'll be happy with here.

As for the RSS service, I just switched to Feedly from The Old Reader. You are not likely to find better than Feedly for free.

Thanks for your help!

I kind of figured Feedly was probably at the top of the heap. Oh, well; I can just get stuff to Evernote via my PC, or Pocket on my phone.

Thermopyle posted:

If you're nerdy enough to host it yourself, Tiny Tiny RSS with the accompanying android app is the best RSS solution.

I'm pretty nerdy, but not that nerdy, I fear. Thanks for your input, though!

One more question: I recently installed IFTT, and activated my Pocket and Evernote channels. I'm running two recipes: one for if I add any item to Pocket, it's also added to Evernote, and if I favorite any items in Pocket, it's added to Evernote. However, neither of them seem to be functioning. Is there a bug I should be aware of, or is this likely a problem on my end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Pinball posted:

I'm pretty nerdy, but not that nerdy, I fear. Thanks for your input, though!
It's literally a one-click install on Lithium Hosting, and it's only $15/year for Lithium's cheapest plan.

• Locked thread