Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Sappo569 posted:

Basically, investment

If you decide to look into investing in stocks, i'd recommend Walgreens, Sam Adams, or Toyota.

Got me a cheap, yet decent watch for outdoor stuff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Two nights at Westin Portland

After this, San Diego will be the only major west coast city that I haven't had a vacation in.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

^ drat i'm jealous. Both are great cities to check out.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

drat. There's no way I could justify buying these, but with the right outfit I'd wear the poo poo out of them.

The trouble is there is no right outfit. This trend of weird color soles and flat out sneaker soles on dress shoes really needs to go away. Cole Haan started all this crap after Nike bought them.

Edit: I take that back, clowns need to dress up once in a while.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Check out powell's city of books, if you're a reader.
If you have a huge rear end, Voodoo Doughnuts.
http://groundkontrol.com/ Ground Kontrol bar and arcade, if you like classic arcade games.
Deschutes Brewery, because I missed it and you better loving like beer.

I also missed the Vegan Strip club, but really, what's the point?

The people are very friendly, the town is walkable, it's a good time. I have to go back, when I have more than a day and am not sick.

Oh and BTW, go to the Mark Spencer hotel and punch the loving staff in the face for me.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

rockcity posted:

Yeah, I'll never go back to not doing my own oil. I'd recommend Rhino Ramps personally. You can get them on sale for like $40 and they're a lot faster to use. Once you have the tools oil changes are about $20 for traditional oil and $30 for synthetic.

Ramps are definitely easier but both my car and my girlfriends sit fairly low and have long front bumpers. Unless there's some sort of longer and less steep ramps I'm stuck with the jack stands.

Buying a Subaru Forester is by far the easiest solution though. The drain plug is pretty much right behind the bumper and the filter is right on top of the engine. You don't even have to lift the car at all. Its a 10 minute job on one of those and that includes waiting for the last of the old oil to drip out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Reverse Centaur posted:

I've always heard Portland is rad but I've never seen it look like that :stare:

God drat!

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

You can get a jack, some jack stands and the tools to do an oil change for under $100. It takes less than an hour to do on most cars, costs about half of what a shop would charge and its immensely satisfying to do your own work on your car.

I don't have a garage, so I'd have to get on my back on our incredibly uneven and lumpy gravel parking spot, which might do in the summer, but I'm not doing in canadian winters.I also have absolutely no space left in my tiny house to store poo poo. I know how to change my own oil, it's just not very practical for me right now. I keep trying to convince my husband we should build a garage, but he just isn't buying it. I could also put a jewelry work bench out there and not have to worry about the cats getting into gem stone and drill bits.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Changing oil I will gladly pay for as if you value your time at all, you don't really save any money. Stuff like replacing brake pads is totally worth doing yourself as you can really save a ton.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

bunnielab posted:

Changing oil I will gladly pay for as if you value your time at all, you don't really save any money. Stuff like replacing brake pads is totally worth doing yourself as you can really save a ton.

It takes like 10 minutes though

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thanks for all the Portland tips, friends. I don't plan to make much of a plan - just wander north and east until I hit river.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've always heard Portland is rad but I've never seen it look like that :stare:

God drat!

If you can't get a volcano in your shot in a Pacific Northwest town you aren't doing it right. Here's the view from my area of Vancouver (volcano is in Washington)

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

rockcity posted:

The trouble is there is no right outfit. This trend of weird color soles and flat out sneaker soles on dress shoes really needs to go away. Cole Haan started all this crap after Nike bought them.

Edit: I take that back, clowns need to dress up once in a while.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't wear them in a situation that required a more formal shoe, but in a casual setting, sure. There's not a huge range of outfits I'd prefer that sole for, which is why I couldn't justify buying a pair like that, but it could be a fine pop of color. It's a brighter yellow than I usually wear, so I'd have to think about what exactly to do with it, but off the top I think it could work well with dark denim or navy.

Edit: I'm with you on the sneaker soles, though. Those do nothing for me.

Toast Museum has a new favorite as of 10:15 on Mar 27, 2015

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Echeveria posted:

I don't have a garage, so I'd have to get on my back on our incredibly uneven and lumpy gravel parking spot, which might do in the summer, but I'm not doing in canadian winters.I also have absolutely no space left in my tiny house to store poo poo. I know how to change my own oil, it's just not very practical for me right now. I keep trying to convince my husband we should build a garage, but he just isn't buying it. I could also put a jewelry work bench out there and not have to worry about the cats getting into gem stone and drill bits.

I have a lumpy lovely parking lot too. I have some chunks of wood to steady the jack stands and a big thick piece of cardboard to lay on. I try to do it inside the in-laws garage when I can too.

I understand why some folks would rather pay to have it done. It is a dirty job and it only saves a couple dozen bucks. I genuinely enjoy working on cars though. I get a nice sense of satisfaction from getting a little grimy and then standing back to admire a job well done. Even if it is just something simple like an oil change.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

both my car and my girlfriends sit fairly low

I thought this was a fat joke when I first read it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Digital version of this:

But dumbass me, my PS4 is on "completely off" mode and not "standby" so I can't even start to download it until I get home from work. :(

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Reverse Centaur posted:

You're coming in at the perfect time, as the "rain season" is over (honestly this year was alarmingly dry).

VendaGoat posted:

Check out powell's city of books, if you're a reader.
If you have a huge rear end, Voodoo Doughnuts.
http://groundkontrol.com/ Ground Kontrol bar and arcade, if you like classic arcade games.
Deschutes Brewery, because I missed it and you better loving like beer.

I also missed the Vegan Strip club, but really, what's the point?

The people are very friendly, the town is walkable, it's a good time. I have to go back, when I have more than a day and am not sick.
Powell's is awesome for bibliophiles. There's also Boxer Ramen nearby, which is my favorite place if I'm in the mood for noodles.
Voodoo Donuts is very touristy if that's your thing; if you want a legitimately better donut but without the kitsch check out Blue Star Donuts .
Deschutes Brewery is pretty nice. I prefer 10 Barrel Barrel Brewing Co. & they just opened a new location downtown too.

Casa Diablo is the vegan strip club, but it's kind of far walk-wise from downtown. Mary's Club is the one in the heart of downtown, but honestly it's just a strip club with some history.

If there's one thing worth checking out it's the Portland Underground Shanghai Tunnels tour. Discover Portland's pirate history!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

2x Dell MSA14 monitor arms. They're kind of S-shaped so it's hard to line the stand bases with monitor midpoints.

And now when the monitors are hanging on a long arm, my unstable desk's movements exacberate the display's movement. They move around noticeably when I hammer my keyboard.

Guess it's time to post a "bought a new desk" picture later :v:

Edit: of course my desk is never that clean. But without stands it's hopefully easier to keep it tidier in future. Also still adjusting the arm positions.. the wall prevents them from moving too much so I need to kind of move the baseplates around the desk's edge!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

My first non-used vehicle. A 2015 Colorado LT.

Well, I ordered it. The supply to demand ratio is staggering, and dealerships only either have extended cab LTs with no options or loaded out Z71s out of my price range, and they're lucky to get any at all.

Now for some first world bitching (unchecked privilege trigger warning): My 2005 Accord I'm trading in is, apparently, highly desirable. I've had people wanting to buy it since I got it. I went ahead and gave it to the dealership to sell while there's still some tax money floating around and so I'd have that money ready to go when my truck came in. The GM (my father :smug:) assured me it wouldn't be long before my truck came in, and they'd give me a loaner vehicle to drive in until then, only a week or so.

The loaner vehicle is the grossest Altima in the world. It was just traded in and they hadn't even cleaned it or serviced it in, just gave me the keys. The woman who owned it beforehand apparently lived in a great big dirt pile and just poured perfume all over it all the time forever. This was probably to cover up the smell of some long-dead animal. I can't get the smell out. Also the radio doesn't work. But it's only for a week or so, right?

I checked with the salesman handling my order, and they haven't even started building the damned thing yet. It's still in pre-production, so I've got AT LEAST a month in this shitmobile.

Wah wah, I know.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just bitch at them. They will give you another vehicle. There's no reason you should be in a disgusting vehicle for a month. If you complain enough, they WILL give you something else. (especially if you are buying a new car)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

RCarr posted:

Just bitch at them. They will give you another vehicle. There's no reason you should be in a disgusting vehicle for a month. If you complain enough, they WILL give you something else. (especially if you are buying a new car)

E/N as poo poo, but long story short, there's a lot of daddy issues involved. We hate each other, basically, and if he ever has to "help me out" he does the absolute bare minimum and acts like he's breaking his loving back to do it. Bitching won't do anything but probably end up with me getting financially screwed like any other customer. Right now I'm getting employee pricing and 0% interest forever if I buy, or straight residual if I lease and keep, so I'd rather not risk losing those.

However, I've managed to grow something resembling balls in the past few years, so I demanded they take the thing in to get a deep cleaning. If it still stinks, I'll bitch for something that at least has a working radio.

If not, I don't actually HAVE to drive the thing. I've still got my wife's GXT :smug:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Android Bicyclist posted:

Voodoo Donuts is very touristy if that's your thing; if you want a legitimately better donut but without the kitsch check out Blue Star Donuts .

Ooooooo. drat the locals for sending me to Voodoo, those look so much better. :yum:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

2x Dell MSA14 monitor arms. They're kind of S-shaped so it's hard to line the stand bases with monitor midpoints.

And now when the monitors are hanging on a long arm, my unstable desk's movements exacberate the display's movement. They move around noticeably when I hammer my keyboard.

Edit: of course my desk is never that clean. But without stands it's hopefully easier to keep it tidier in future. Also still adjusting the arm positions.. the wall prevents them from moving too much so I need to kind of move the baseplates around the desk's edge!

I like your Salvador Dali inspired keyboard.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I like your Salvador Dali inspired keyboard.
I had the same keyboard/mouse setup until I upgraded to a Logitech G502.

The keyboard is pretty great though:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Four tickets to see

with my wife and kids.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I bought a pair of beat up Allen Edmonds Park Avenues at the thrift store for $16

and had them repaired at the local cobblers for $55.

Thus getting a pair of ~$400 shoes for $75ish.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

TheMadMilkman posted:

Four tickets to see

with my wife and kids.

This was good. Shocking amount of 3DSs being played in the theater.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I bought a pair of beat up Allen Edmonds Park Avenues at the thrift store for $16

and had them repaired at the local cobblers for $55.

Thus getting a pair of ~$400 shoes for $75ish.

That's awesome. I really need to head to the local good will sometime since I'm smack dab in the middle of a super wealthy area surrounding me

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

What's that box sitting in the middle, it looks like the keyboard and mouse are plugged into it, but might just be holding the wires flat

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Headphone preamp I'd bet.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

My first non-used vehicle. A 2015 Colorado LT.

Well, I ordered it. The supply to demand ratio is staggering, and dealerships only either have extended cab LTs with no options or loaded out Z71s out of my price range, and they're lucky to get any at all.

Now for some first world bitching (unchecked privilege trigger warning): My 2005 Accord I'm trading in is, apparently, highly desirable. I've had people wanting to buy it since I got it. I went ahead and gave it to the dealership to sell while there's still some tax money floating around and so I'd have that money ready to go when my truck came in. The GM (my father :smug:) assured me it wouldn't be long before my truck came in, and they'd give me a loaner vehicle to drive in until then, only a week or so.

The loaner vehicle is the grossest Altima in the world. It was just traded in and they hadn't even cleaned it or serviced it in, just gave me the keys. The woman who owned it beforehand apparently lived in a great big dirt pile and just poured perfume all over it all the time forever. This was probably to cover up the smell of some long-dead animal. I can't get the smell out. Also the radio doesn't work. But it's only for a week or so, right?

I checked with the salesman handling my order, and they haven't even started building the damned thing yet. It's still in pre-production, so I've got AT LEAST a month in this shitmobile.

Wah wah, I know.

Manual or automatic? :suicide:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

SaltLick posted:

That's awesome. I really need to head to the local good will sometime since I'm smack dab in the middle of a super wealthy area surrounding me

Doesn't even need to be a good neighborhood necessarily. I bought these in a Goodwill just outside of Oakland.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Doesn't even need to be a good neighborhood necessarily. I bought these in a Goodwill just outside of Oakland.

Goodwills in nicer areas do tend to have better stuff in general though.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Goodwills in nicer areas do tend to have better stuff in general though.

Definitely.

Though for me so far it's been frequency > location.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

And this on Blu-Ray:

*grabs you by the nose with my foot* Get me this poster.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

David Copperfield posted:

*grabs you by the nose with my foot* Get me this poster.

That's an interesting way to get someone's attention

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

bunnielab posted:

I agree with this, except I don't trust oil places to not gently caress something up resulting in higher maintenance/repair expenses down the road.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

I agree with this, except I don't trust oil places to not gently caress something up resulting in higher maintenance/repair expenses down the road.

I just hate it when they try to sell me an air filter for $25 or a cabin air filter for $20, Transmission flush, engine cleaning, etc.,

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Go to Union Jack's if you want to go to a decent strip club in Portland, go to Voodoo Donuts if you want a donut coated with stale cereal.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Found this at the same thrift store today. Stoked to have it since I'm missing their show in my area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Trillest Parrot posted:

Go to Union Jack's if you want to go to a decent strip club in Portland, go to Voodoo Donuts if you want a donut coated with stale cereal.

The bacon was lovely on the bacon maple. The locals....THE LOCALS TOLD ME TO GO!!! :(