Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Narcissus1916 posted:

I might just want to start with link to the past.

This is the better option. The difficulty spike in Zelda 2 is unreal. I'm only 1/3 through, but the bit after the 1st dungeon is just over the top hard. The 2nd dungeon was cake in comparison. Looking ahead at the next dungeon, it looks pretty easy in comparison, too. I would be surprised if it gets that hard again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Dungeon 4 isn't too bad.

5 isn't super terrible either, but the boss is a bit of a butt.

6 can be frustrating because of the boss, he's got sort of a tiny hitbox.

The Great Palace is insane though.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Death Mountain is the hardest part of Zelda 2 just because you don't yet have enough tools to deal with stuff there. The downthrust and later magics make things easier. It's dumb to grind that much early on.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Silver Falcon posted:

I disagree. The pointer controls work really well. How would you translate that to 3DS? Use the stylus? I mean... it kinda worked in Metroid Prime Hunters I guess, but I would think it would cramp your hands real bad.

I meant more of utilizing the 3D of the 3DS and having a game that actually looks good on its respective screen

but then Kid Icarus turmoil reminded me of this:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

elf help book posted:

Death Mountain is the hardest part of Zelda 2 just because you don't yet have enough tools to deal with stuff there. The downthrust and later magics make things easier. It's dumb to grind that much early on.

Yeah, playing it in New Game + makes it cake since you start the game with the levels you ended with, all of the magic and both the thrust skills.

Its a lot easier in the early segments with that stuff, doesn't make the end game easier though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I don't remember the NES Legend of Zelda 1 being all that difficult in terms of combat - but I do remember roaming the overworld again and again looking for entrances and secrets.

But I feel like if I want to try and play through all the zeldas, I might want to start with Link to the past since i've never beaten it and its probably the best representation of the 2d games from what I hear.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just got 3 refurbished remotes from Nintendo for 15 bucks each. Im entirely convinced the only reason they were so cheap was the wrist straps were the wrong color. The only reason. Nintendos pretty neat.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Can't wait for Nintendo to discontinue amiibo functionality for games 6-8 months from now.

Gamestop is over run with Infinity/Skylanders and they cant even get rid of them for a dollar. Those World of Nintendo toys are probably a better deal since they're larger than the amiibo guys, can actually move, and they're cheaper than actual amiibos despite having more engineering going on with hip swivels and articulation.

The Fire Emblem Amiibos look like total rear end compared to the action figure ones.

Even Lucina which is a figure you buy for the rear end.

poo poo are Disney and Activision still gonna do new entries in their respective series this year despite this plastic creep? I guess they're just going to push it till the bottom breaks considering they had already sold like, what over a hundred million Skylanders toys yet the marketing crux of the last game was like, "KIDS! We need ya to get even more plastic stuff this time around than usual. And don't think you'll be able to follow that whole "Only one figure of each element" rule you and your parents agreed on we're really planning on making sure you break that rule this time around."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Gutcruncher posted:

I just got 3 refurbished remotes from Nintendo for 15 bucks each. Im entirely convinced the only reason they were so cheap was the wrist straps were the wrong color. The only reason. Nintendos pretty neat.

Are they new ones or old. That could be reason too

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snuffman posted:

I only passively know about the whole Skylanders/Disney Infinity thing. What's the story? The new 2.0 versions don't allow you to use the 1.0 characters?

You can use the 1.0 characters but only in a certain game mode and nothing else from 1.0.

Waltzing Along posted:

This is the better option. The difficulty spike in Zelda 2 is unreal. I'm only 1/3 through, but the bit after the 1st dungeon is just over the top hard. The 2nd dungeon was cake in comparison. Looking ahead at the next dungeon, it looks pretty easy in comparison, too. I would be surprised if it gets that hard again.

After you finish the game, you can watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeowBxwuqzU

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 27, 2015

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I already have. I'm a bit confused how he is able to attack while moving up in a jump while I can't. I wonder if it has to do w/ the wii u controller or emulator or something.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Viewtiful Jew posted:

poo poo are Disney and Activision still gonna do new entries in their respective series this year despite this plastic creep? I guess they're just going to push it till the bottom breaks considering they had already sold like, what over a hundred million Skylanders toys yet the marketing crux of the last game was like, "KIDS! We need ya to get even more plastic stuff this time around than usual. And don't think you'll be able to follow that whole "Only one figure of each element" rule you and your parents agreed on we're really planning on making sure you break that rule this time around."

Wow, I never looked too closely into Skylanders. Having to buy "traps" to capture bad guys in. THAT is evil... and brilliant from a marketing standpoint.

Let's hope Nintendo never makes a Pokemon game and you have to buy Amiibo Pokeballs to catch them. Could you imagine such madness?

Yeah, I need 99 Pokeballs please :gonk:

I doubt Nintendo is that cruel; they'll probably just release Amiibos of popular Pokemon and maybe scanning them unlocks them in game or something.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I ended up buying the Zelda themed Amiibo's cause they look cool, and maybe they'll do something with them in Zelda U or whatever it ends up being called.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
They had Pokemon NFC figures, they just didn't call them Amiibo... they also looked like poo poo too, and were exclusive to Game Stop(?)

http://www.pokemonrumble.com/RumbleU/en/nfc/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gutcruncher posted:

I just got 3 refurbished remotes from Nintendo for 15 bucks each. I'm entirely convinced the only reason they were so cheap was the wrist straps were the wrong color. The only reason. Nintendos pretty neat.

Waltzing Along posted:

Take a look at the lower end on the front, near the four controller indicator lights. If it's a WiiMote Plus, it'll have an arc of text indicating as much around the "Wii" name.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any shop in EU where I can buy the Wiimote for cheap-ish? Even if it's used or refurbished?

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 27, 2015

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Ebay's always an option, just bought one myself from there. Just remember to search for ones sold as official wii remotes or you'll end up with a cheap chinese knock-off.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Why is Pokemon Rumble bad?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Nope. I used this deal too and in my case the wrist straps match the remote and they're motion plus. It's a seriously good deal.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Is there any shop in EU where I can buy the Wiimote for cheap-ish? Even if it's used or refurbished?

CEX. Just picked one up for £15.

noirstronaut posted:

There's practically no gameplay what so ever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

noirstronaut posted:

They're shallow and repetitive beyond belief, like a Mario Party minigame with loot.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

noirstronaut posted:

I meant more of utilizing the 3D of the 3DS and having a game that actually looks good on its respective screen

but then Kid Icarus turmoil reminded me of this:

I agree that 3D effect would be cool. Just, I think Metroid Prime looks fine on the Wii U. :confused: I don't think it would translate very well to a tiny-rear end screen.

Now, gimme some 2D Metroids on the 3DS, with some cool 3D effects, then we'll talk.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Silver Falcon posted:

I agree that 3D effect would be cool. Just, I think Metroid Prime looks fine on the Wii U. :confused: I don't think it would translate very well to a tiny-rear end screen.

Now, gimme some 2D Metroids on the 3DS, with some cool 3D effects, then we'll talk.

Its max resolution is 480p. If it were updated for the Wii U, maybe, but if they were going to remake the game, I think it'd be better on a 3DS at its native resolution and then using whatever pixel density crap they do to make games look better on an XL.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Monster w21 Faces posted:

CEX. Just picked one up for £15.

Man, CEX here in Spain is pretty lovely, every used WiiU game I've found has been -1€ than amazon prices!

That said, the pawn shop next door had ZombiiU for 32€. What the gently caress!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Astro7x posted:

They had Pokemon NFC figures, they just didn't call them Amiibo... they also looked like poo poo too, and were exclusive to Game Stop(?)

What the gently caress is/was Pokemon Rumble U? I assume it's a Wii U game, so how did a Pokemon game on Wii U manage to go completely unnoticed?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's a terrible, digital-only entry in a mediocre series and got no advertising whatsoever, not even when they started rolling out the NFC figurines.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

raditts posted:

What the gently caress is/was Pokemon Rumble U? I assume it's a Wii U game, so how did a Pokemon game on Wii U manage to go completely unnoticed?

It didn't go unnoticed at all, seems you just missed it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh theyre the remote pluses of course, Its just great that Nintendo's idea of refurbished is "oh darn we dont have enough black wrist straps but too many whites. I guess we gotta knock 25 bucks off these remotes!
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...goryId=cat20005

Also this, saves 35 bucks
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...oryId=cat160004

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Astro7x posted:

They're basically the precursor to Amiibo. They my look like poo poo but they sold like hot cakes. Gamestop sold out in less the a week which cause the prices to rise for them on ebay. They even had rare shiny Pokemon figures that go for even more money. It like they predict the future of what was going to happen to Amiibos

Litwick figure = Mario amiibo
Jirachi figure = Wii Fit Trainer amiibo
Shiny Pikachu figure = Gold Mario Amiibo

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
My 7 and 4 year old got bored of Pokemon rumble after a about an hour or so. There is no depth and you have to basically keep using new pokemon who are the correct level for each new map. Its a terrible design that you can level or play your favorite pokemons on new maps.

Close to a good, lightweight, fun game, but some just terrible design decisions.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Amiibo chat: I know a guy (wife's best friend's husband) who owns three of every amiibo. I've seen his collection. His wife hates them. Hates them. It is kind of hilarious. They haven't gotten divorced over his amiibo addiction, I assume, only because he is an extremely successful defense attorney who makes $$$big bucks$$$.

He's sending my wife and I one of his spare (!) Shulks (!!!) and a Diddy Kong though so I can't really judge him.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if things don't work out between then send me his number

i can appreciate both a man who likes amiibo, and a man who has a lot of money

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Give it a year and soon your wife's friend will be going "That's a nice yacht, did I mention my husband has five Captain Rainbow Amiibos? :smug: " at formal social party things.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Sade posted:

Amiibo chat: I know a guy (wife's best friend's husband) who owns three of every amiibo. I've seen his collection. His wife hates them. Hates them. It is kind of hilarious. They haven't gotten divorced over his amiibo addiction, I assume, only because he is an extremely successful defense attorney who makes $$$big bucks$$$.

He's sending my wife and I one of his spare (!) Shulks (!!!) and a Diddy Kong though so I can't really judge him.

does he have amiibos at the office

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

would he defend a person who stole amiibos

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i want a shulk amiibo

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Chairman Pow! posted:

My 7 and 4 year old got bored of Pokemon rumble after a about an hour or so. There is no depth and you have to basically keep using new pokemon who are the correct level for each new map. Its a terrible design that you can level or play your favorite pokemons on new maps.

Close to a good, lightweight, fun game, but some just terrible design decisions.

Kids are often better judges of taste than we are. If I want to know if a Lego game is good, I'll plunk down my nephew in front of it and listen to his reactions. He adored Lego Marvel, and confided in me that he knows who Hawkeye is since he got to see the avengers at a friends place. Last month we tried Lego Batman 3 and he eviscerated it - "Ugh, we've been in the batcave for hours!" "I'm STILL batman?" "Robin is dumb"

Take that, gamespot.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Awesome! posted:

i want a shulk amiibo

I want one too, so I can sell it and spend the money on drugs and prostitutes.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Awesome! posted:

i want a shulk amiibo

i have one of those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

sharrrk posted:

i have one of those