Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The entirety of X5 was worth it for this track alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3qYAvmiKRs

And then Sound Holic made this pretty amazing vocal remix of it, engrish notwithstanding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxnG1-BZGyk

Wish there was an instrumental version of it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Captain Invictus posted:

And then Sound Holic made this pretty amazing vocal remix of it, engrish notwithstanding

Yeah that track owns.

...too bad the actual game doesn't. :(

WATCH OUT X YOU BETTER MAKE SURE NOT TO FALL DOWN THOSE PITS BECAUSE IF YOU FALL DOWN A PIT YOU WILL DIE!!!

X MAKE SURE YOU DONT TOUCH THE BAD GUYS BECAUSE THEN YOU WILL GET HURT, TRY SHOOTING THEM WITH YOUR GUN!!!

UH OH X WATCH OUT FOR THE BIG SUBMARINE THAT GOES REALLY SLOW AND TAKES FOREVER TO KILL

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Captain Invictus posted:

X5 was an alright game, but pretty much everything involving Alia loving ruined it. And yes, I was one of those sperglords who loving hated the Gun 'n' Roses names. I've grown to accept them over time though, especially after learning that Neon Tiger's stage music from X3 came from a Guns 'n' Roses song.

And yes, that track does own. Wanna hear an instrumental version played with electric guitars and two pipe organs.

Speaking of fun MMX music facts, the music from Grizzly Slash's stage in X5 (which also owns) was based on the soundtrack from the movie Speed. Specifically, the part where they have to jump the bus over that gap in the overpass. If you listen, the 6-note melody in Grizzly's stage music is basically ripped straight from the movie, key and all, and set to a slightly different rhythm.

The More You Know! :eng101:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
X5 would be much better if they simply removed the tutorial messages and made the "correct" boss weapons do much more damage, or at least not give bosses up to like 5 seconds of invincibility frames.

The boss names owned. Anybody who doesn't like Duff McWhalen is a shitlord.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shine posted:

X5 would be much better if they simply removed the tutorial messages and made the "correct" boss weapons do much more damage, or at least not give bosses up to like 5 seconds of invincibility frames.

That poo poo was so dire. The entire point of boss weaknesses is to make them easier to beat, I shouldn't be punished for it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The entirety of X5 seems like a fever dream whenever I try to remember it. It's just a blur of guns and roses, zero/sigma viruses, dynamo, and NES-era localization Engrish. The story segments always blur into an incomprehensible sequence with no relation between them.

Zero was fun to play as though. Cool guys played Zero. Wannabes played as X.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
X5's intro ruled too

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

X5 is at least better than X6 and X7 but that's not saying much

X1, X2, X4 supremacy forever

(X3 is also okay)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

X5's intro ruled too

Let's see if we can't retroactively ruin that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCKloKx42sE

Perfect. (The X6 openings were legit though.)

And I'll still go to bat for liking X5. And X6. And X3 for that matter. Really, all eight games had something good in them, even if the first PS2 entry had to be an RPG for some reason. It was still pretty fun though, and I should go back and finish it someday.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That reminds me, I should probably go play that first PS2 X game. How is it? I have a copy but I never really played that much because I was trying to juggle it and 2 PS2 RPGs at the same time and it kinda lost my attention in the face of SMT Nocturne and Devil Summoner 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

That reminds me, I should probably go play that first PS2 X game. How is it? I have a copy but I never really played that much because I was trying to juggle it and 2 PS2 RPGs at the same time and it kinda lost my attention in the face of SMT Nocturne and Devil Summoner 2.

You mean Mega Man X7? Because it's loving dire. Do not play it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Don't play X7, don't do it. X6 and X7 are really, REALLY bad.

The X RPG is kinda mediocre and bog standard JRPG but it's not totally awful. I just got bored and lost interest in it though. You could do a lot worse, but you could do a lot better, too.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Command Mission is a pretty fun game, it doesn't change anything up, and it's just middle of the road, blase entertainment, but it's a fun little distraction where you can level X, Zero, Axl, and assorted other characters up, and they threw in a variety of in-game gimmicks and converted them to RPG format. It's not great, but it's a fun little diversion, even if there is a certain character who is just the absolute worst.

Easily the best X design in the series though. Really want to see that make a comeback.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The writing is bad and X looks stupid as gently caress. The mechanics are fine but not mind blowing. And the game is mercifully short by JRPG standards.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Being a resource for said game that has it in my brain better than the entirety of GameFAQs, Command Mission is worth playing once until you get bored of it then you stop because it's fun but if you get tired of it you're not going to enjoy it anymore.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I was talking about Command Mission. I know X7 is hot garbage.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I wish X8 and Command Mission would show up as PS2 Classics.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lurdiak posted:

The writing is bad and X looks stupid as gently caress. The mechanics are fine but not mind blowing. And the game is mercifully short by JRPG standards.

This X?

Because he actually looks like he's matured and become a, well, commander, now. With built-in brass knuckles when he just gotsta punch someone.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Because he actually looks like he's matured and become a, well, commander, now. With built-in brass knuckles when he just gotsta punch someone.

And an exhaust scarf. You've gotta be one seriously unpleasable mardypants to not like the exhaust scarf.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
How much better would Command mission have been with timed hits and dodging?

I mean, how do you make an rpg from a platformer and not do that. I don't think any other such game did not have at least a bit of a timing element.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Gammatron 64 posted:

X5 is at least better than X6 and X7 but that's not saying much

X1, X2, X4 supremacy forever

(X3 is also okay)

Oh man... X6 could have been so good... it had so many good things going for it, but it just...... cut so many corners.

I still like it, but sweet gently caress did it need some good heavy cleaning.

ImpAtom posted:

You mean Mega Man X7? Because it's loving dire. Do not play it.

Yeah X7 is pretty fuckin bad.

Ride Boarski and Tornado Tonion are cool, though.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 26, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Would it be possible to hack x6 so that there's no permadeath for civilians

because the game would still not be perfect but be so much better without having your first playthrough of every level require you to constantly kamakaze yourself saving the loving reploids if you didn't want to possibly be locked out of items.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

Would it be possible to hack x6 so that there's no permadeath for civilians

because the game would still not be perfect but be so much better without having your first playthrough of every level require you to constantly kamakaze yourself saving the loving reploids if you didn't want to possibly be locked out of items.

While you're at it, you might as well redo the level design too so it's not completely rear end.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Which game has the boss that yells BURN TO THE GROUND at an alarming speed.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Which game has the boss that yells BURN TO THE GROUND at an alarming speed.

That's X7 and it's a loving abomination that should be avoided. However, feel free to look up "Our Blood Boils" because that's actually an amazing song nobody heard because it required you to stick it out until the Sigma fight.

Metal Meltdown fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 27, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Captain Invictus posted:

This X?

I liked the design other than the exhaust cape. That was a weird addition.

I enjoyed X5. It was a good solid game that I would have been a great note to end the series on.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I always knew about those renamed GNR boss names, but I am completely blown away to find out that its the girl who played Loonette on The Big Comfy Couch who's responsible for it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Perry Normal posted:

I always knew about those renamed GNR boss names, but I am completely blown away to find out that its the girl who played Loonette on The Big Comfy Couch who's responsible for it.

Wait, the same one that voices Claire Redfield?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Wait, the same one that voices Claire Redfield?

Yes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

X looks stupid as gently caress.

:yikes:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think I'm one of like...the three people, tops, out there who actually likes X7. Granted, I also find X2 and 3 pretty overrated, so I am just overall Terrible Opinions MM Fan.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I think I'm one of like...the three people, tops, out there who actually likes X7. Granted, I also find X2 and 3 pretty overrated, so I am just overall Terrible Opinions MM Fan.

I actually do like some parts of X7. Once the game hits its stride, I found myself having fun with it. Sadly, that really isn't until you unlock X

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I still can't believe they made and published a Mega Man X game that requires you to beat half of the bosses in order to unlock Mega Man X himself.

Just...... WHY!? Why did they think this was a good idea? Ever? :psyduck:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I still can't believe they made and published a Mega Man X game that requires you to beat half of the bosses in order to unlock Mega Man X himself.

It's not required to beat the bosses. The two ways are beat all 8 bosses or rescue 64 Reploids. You can just suicide out of a level after rescuing the Reploids in it.

Not that either is a good idea on Capcom's part.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

They really, REALLY wanted to push Bass Axl for some reason. Probably to have a new "protagonist" they could market.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's not required to beat the bosses. The two ways are beat all 8 bosses or rescue 64 Reploids. You can just suicide out of a level after rescuing the Reploids in it.

Not that either is a good idea on Capcom's part.

It's also probably the only game in the series where X is the best of the available character options, Zero has strong attacks but for some reason they took away the speed he had in previous games(though his double jump is still useful in parts, making him decent to have as a partner) and Axl doesn't get good until X8.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 27, 2015

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Axl is the best because he's a kid who really really wants to lay down some sick burns but he is just insanely incompetent at doing that. He's just a li'l whiny dork :3:

also :argh:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Axl is the best because he's a kid who really really wants to lay down some sick burns but he is just insanely incompetent at doing that. He's just a li'l whiny dork :3:

He IS a refreshing foil to X's constant emo violence-hating peace-and-love poo poo, I'll give him that. Axl does what Axl wants, and don't give one hot gently caress what any bitch say.

Axl keeps it real. :dealwithit:

What is this from?

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

What is this from?
ZX, which is the best MegaMan once you get over the dumb metroidvania implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

He IS a refreshing foil to X's constant emo violence-hating peace-and-love poo poo, I'll give him that. Axl does what Axl wants, and don't give one hot gently caress what any bitch say.

Axl keeps it real. :dealwithit:

What is this from?

Mega Man ZX. Based on the screenshot I assume he got killed just as he landing a finishing blow on the boss.

quote:

ZX, which is the best MegaMan once you get over the dumb metroidvania implementation.

Pft. ZX is like Zero only not quite as good.