Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

ringu0 posted:

That's why there is a codec pack.

Duh..sorry. When did they add that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Boywunda posted:

Duh..sorry. When did they add that?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/mx-player/mx-player-custom-codec-dts-support-t2156254

Download it, place the file somewhere on your phone and Mx Player will autodetect it (if not you can just browse it). Works perfectly even with old rear end divx films and tv series I had lying on CDs. Just a tip, get the all in one codec pack just so you can play literally everything.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Shadowgate posted:

Use MX Player with it's codec pack, it should play everything.
Doesn't work either. It at least gave me a little "can't play AC3 sound" warning before I installed the codec pack. Then... nothing. No idea what's wrong.

I tried avi files, mp4 files, wmv files... what the hell can this thing play?

(And I still have no idea how to all the various redundant programs)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Xander77 posted:

I tried avi files, mp4 files, wmv files... what the hell can this thing play?
These are all containers. What you need to describe is what is inside the container (both audio and video formats) in order to know what it is you're trying to play.

Xander77 posted:

(And I still have no idea how to all the various redundant programs)
What is confusing to you?

To start: I'm confused about why REM is linked in this post.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

LastInLine posted:

These are all containers. What you need to describe is what is inside the container (both audio and video formats) in order to know what it is you're trying to play.
1. I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Since the tablet reacts the same way to every single video file I've tried to feed into it, the logical conclusion seems to be that the issue is with the tablet rather than the files.

2. Since I'm not providing enough information for you to go on, how to I figure out "what's inside the container", whatever that means?

quote:

What is confusing to you?
The fact that I go to the app center (or whatever the bunch of squares in a circle at the bottom of the screen are properly called). Once there, I have a while bunch of useless poo poo like acercloud, 7digitial, hangouts, netflix, play games, play movies - half of these apps don't even work in my region. The part that's confusing is me is how the hell to I delete all this worthless clutter, since I can't seem to find a menu in the app center, and long-pressing the apps merely copies them to the main screen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Xander77 posted:

1. I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Since the tablet reacts the same way to every single video file I've tried to feed into it, the logical conclusion seems to be that the issue is with the tablet rather than the files.
The filetypes you mention can contain anything. You need to know if what's in there and there are tools for PC and Mac that you can use to analyze files to tell you. As I haven't used Windows in a very long time I can't recommend a current program for that platform. I have to imagine they're something weird because most stuff should work.

Xander77 posted:

2. Since I'm not providing enough information for you to go on, how to I figure out "what's inside the container", whatever that means?
The fact that I go to the app center (or whatever the bunch of squares in a circle at the bottom of the screen are properly called). Once there, I have a while bunch of useless poo poo like acercloud, 7digitial, hangouts, netflix, play games, play movies - half of these apps don't even work in my region. The part that's confusing is me is how the hell to I delete all this worthless clutter, since I can't seem to find a menu in the app center, and long-pressing the apps merely copies them to the main screen.
The thing you're talking about is called "the app drawer".

Since that's a property of the launcher and I don't know how Acer's launcher works, I'll tell you the only way that's sure to work on any device. Go to Settings > Apps and find the app in question. Inside there should be an Uninstall button. If there is a button that says Uninstall Updates, then it's a system app. You can disable but not remove a system app, and some you can't even disable. To disable it, Uninstall Updates then go back in and that button should now say Disable. If that's greyed out then you cannot remove or disable it.

Now what you could do is replace the launcher which will allow you to hide things in the drawer. There are many options and if you've got a lot of unremovable apps that cannot be disabled may be the most painless option.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I don't know if it's because of 5.1 or what, but app updates now run on lower priority in background. Previously I'd have to stop using my Nexus 10 when an app updated, but now the gui & apps remain responsive.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
So my Nexus 7 2013 has been rebooting on its own more and more, and its get worse. Is this just more fun Lollipop shenanigans, or is there anything I can do to fix this?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Finagle posted:

So my Nexus 7 2013 has been rebooting on its own more and more, and its get worse. Is this just more fun Lollipop shenanigans, or is there anything I can do to fix this?

That was the issue I had to RMA mine for. I don't know if yours is a different cause, but for mine it was a hardware problem. It's been stable since the repair with both 4.4 and Lollipop.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I'm about to fly to china to kill some chinamans and steal their Nokia N1s, this poo poo is getting loving ridiculous, loving sell me a good tablet in a first world country you stupid eurotrash pieces of poo poo

in the meantime, my 2014 moto x has been my tablet for the past 3 months

Straker fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 27, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I feel like things are getting worse for Android tablets. I really wish I never got rid of my N7 2013 now. The N9 is loving trash.

I can only hope that this 3 week delay on the 5.1 update right now means it's going to be a grand slam out of the park and fix eve....BAHAHAHWHAHAH who am I kidding?

Never ever ever ever buying tablet with a Nvidia SoC again. Ever.

I'm about ready to go back to my N10 which I haven't gotten around to selling yet. Yes, the N10 performs better than the N9.

17 seconds. I was reading something on Wikipedia and got a hangouts notification. I touched the notification. 17 seconds. That's how long it took to switch to the hangouts app. Then it took an additional 6 seconds for my typed and sent reply to show up in the message stream.

I'm actually considering switching to a Dell tablet. That's how bad things have gotten.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I feel like things are getting worse for Android tablets. I really wish I never got rid of my N7 2013 now. The N9 is loving trash.

I can only hope that this 3 week delay on the 5.1 update right now means it's going to be a grand slam out of the park and fix eve....BAHAHAHWHAHAH who am I kidding?

I'm about ready to go back to my N10 which I haven't gotten around to selling yet. Yes, the N10 performs better than the N9.

17 seconds. I was reading something on Wikipedia and got a hangouts notification. I touched the notification. 17 seconds. That's how long it took to switch to the hangouts app. Then it took an additional 6 seconds for my typed and sent reply to show up in the message stream.

I'm actually considering switching to a Dell tablet. That's how bad things have gotten.

I'm basically peak android sperglord and I dumped my N9 for an iPad Air. I went through about six N9. The first couple I returned because the price dropped by like a hundred bucks, but the last four were because I kept getting units from Amazon that has screen bleed so bad you could see it even on non-black backgrounds. They thing also ran terribly and get so hot you couldn't touch the upper right corner. It was a complete joke.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The N9 sucks poo poo but I have been extremely happy with my Xperia Z2, it is better than my iPad air in every way and cost $50 less.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
The shield really has my interest, hasn't that been received well?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
N9 rage: I picked up an open box 32 gig N9 from BB after the holidays for $279. Lasted two weeks and hated every moment of it.

Flipped for $100 profit.

Someone will defend it but it's just a train wreck.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I wanted to like the N9 so much - I love 4:3 aspect ratios, and the design of it was nice.

It just absolutely sucked in every other way.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Nexus 10 is still great, glad I didn't get sucked in by the 4:3 display on the 9.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TraderStav posted:

The shield really has my interest, hasn't that been received well?

"Never ever ever ever buying tablet with a Nvidia SoC again. Ever."

This is the 3rd time I've been suckered into buying a Nvidia SoC and it just isn't happening again. Xoom, N7 2012, and now the N9. The Shield Tablet could sprout legs and become my personal butler but I would be convinced it was plotting to murder me in my sleep.

Besides all that though, it does have a sub-par screen. Not terrible or anything, but the contrast ratio isn't all that high in comparison to competitors and the color accuracy was off the last I heard.

As odd as it seems, the Dell Venue 8 7000 seems to be the one doing the most things right at the moment.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RVProfootballer posted:

Nexus 10 is still great, glad I didn't get sucked in by the 4:3 display on the 9.
Mine is completely unusable. It randomly pauses for anything up to a few seconds whenever I switch apps, scroll, open a new screen, or pretty much anything at all. I wish it would work properly, it's a nice device.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Have you considered an iPad, friend?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tunga posted:

Mine is completely unusable. It randomly pauses for anything up to a few seconds whenever I switch apps, scroll, open a new screen, or pretty much anything at all. I wish it would work properly, it's a nice device.

N10? It's worth trying a factory reset. There is definitely some stutter when I switch to Chrome initially, but it smooths out once the page loads, and subsequent scrolling or new pages don't have that problem.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

I've had one for several years and have never had any issues with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Citizen Tayne posted:

No. I do not like iOS and I'm too invested in the Android ecosystem.

If anything, I'll just end up using my chromebook more.

Apr 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Are you talking about an investment of time and money, or an investment of frustration and misery? You shouldn't fall prey to the Sunk Cost Fallacy in either case.

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

bull3964 posted:

It seems like you've been having a lot of issues with the Android tablets though, so why not switch? I have an iPad Air at home and I've had zero problems with it, it's very comfortable to use.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I can't even find any reputable store that lets you try the drat N9. I've given up on it as well since I don't know if I like the screen or not and the size of it.

I'm now looking into getting an ASUS Chromebook 15 or Toshiba Chromebook 2. Anyone have any thoughts on these or is there a thread for Chromebooks?

Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

I've had one for several years and have never had any issues with it.

It's good to not have to upgrade to a new device every four months. You can quit worrying about the upgrade treadmill and get on with your life.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I bought a N9 - loved the screen ratio and quality, size, weight, and stock Lollipop when it works. Didn't have any build quality issues or major backlight bleed either.

Unfortunately it took a couple hours to start working like poo poo, so back it went to the store.

9" at 4:3 is really perfect for combined use of PDFs/textbooks and web - something 16:9 tablets and the 8" or less and 10" or greater tablets don't do as well. drat shame.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's good to not have to upgrade to a new device every four months. You can quit worrying about the upgrade treadmill and get on with your life.

Agreed. bull3964, Citizen Tayne is well-liked around these parts for a reason! You should really consider following his advice on this one - I think you'll end up a lot happier if you do. :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Citizen Tayne posted:

Are you talking about an investment of time and money, or an investment of frustration and misery? You shouldn't fall prey to the Sunk Cost Fallacy in either case.

Solus M.D. posted:

It seems like you've been having a lot of issues with the Android tablets though, so why not switch? I have an iPad Air at home and I've had zero problems with it, it's very comfortable to use.

Because I don't want an iPad?

I don't know what else to tell you. I don't enjoy using iOS. There's not much else there. Maybe "I would not derive enjoyment out of using an iPad?" Does that make it clear enough?

My N9 is a disappointment. The N7 2013 was fantastic. I just want a replacement for that. This isn't a tirade of misery and woe that the N9 is a laggy piece of junk right now and I haven't "invested frustration and misery." It is possible for someone to rant about a product and not have it consume their soul.

I have no shortage of devices to use around the house. Droid Turbo/Moto X 2013/Toshiba Chromebook2/Surface Pro 3/Lenovo y410p/Nexus 10/Nexus 9. I'm giving a go at the N9 and am disappointed in it and discussing that disappointment in the android tablet thread. I'm not wallowing a pit of misery and despair because they misfired with this device.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

bull3964 posted:

I have no shortage of devices to use around the house. Droid Turbo/Moto X 2013/Toshiba Chromebook2/Surface Pro 3/Lenovo y410p/Nexus 10/Nexus 9.

Wow! That's a heck of a lot of devices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it's almost as if an enthusiast for tech toys buys a lot of tech toys! I'm currently fighting the urge to come up with the justification to slot an XPS 13 in there somewhere, but that's just silly.

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, it's almost as if an enthusiast for tech toys buys a lot of tech toys! I'm currently fighting the urge to come up with the justification to slot an XPS 13 in there somewhere, but that's just silly.

Why have that many though, do you rotate which one you use or something?

Have you considered donating some of your older devices to charity?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, it's almost as if an enthusiast for tech toys buys a lot of tech toys!

Weird! Is it because you're trying to replace or substitute something in your life?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

graph posted:

Weird! Is it because you're trying to replace or substitute something in your life?

No more than anyone else that has a hobby or an interest.

The armchair psychology is fun. But the point of the thread is to discuss Android tablets. The last few posts have not.

BACK ON TOPIC, I do wonder what the holdup is for 5.1 for the N9. I would speculate it has to do with Nvidia's code, but then the N7 2013 hasn't gotten its update yet either and it's a regular Qualcomm processor. The N6 and N5 did get another 5.1 build just yesterday, so hopefully they truly are working out some of the kinks in lollipop. I just wish they would give some guidance on it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 27, 2015

Apr 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

BACK ON TOPIC, I do wonder what the holdup is for 5.1 for the N9. I would speculate it has to do with Nvidia's code, but then the N7 2013 hasn't gotten its update yet either and it's a regular Qualcomm processor. The N6 and N5 did get another 5.1 build just yesterday, so hopefully they truly are working out some of the kinks in lollipop. I just wish they would give some guidance on it.

This sounds like a lot of stuff to worry about when you just want to use a tablet. Maybe an iPad would be a good investment so you can get back to using your device, instead of posting about how you can't use it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Citizen Tayne posted:

This sounds like a lot of stuff to worry about when you just want to use a tablet. Maybe an iPad would be a good investment so you can get back to using your device, instead of posting about how you can't use it.

Sorry, iOS does suck I'm sad to say.

Apr 7, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

There are plenty of comic book and anime apps available for IOS.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't think you're sad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalnark
Nov 17, 2014

I'm looking for an android tablet, to browse / read and possibly game with . I'm looking for something top end, money is not a problem .