Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Exciting new developments in the Varoufakis case:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGzh5_KT3R4

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Honj Steak posted:

Exciting new developments in the Varoufakis case:

Usually I hate anything to do with German's lovely media and try to pay as little attention to it as possible but I have to admit, this made me laugh.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The best bit is really how Varoufakis jumped on that piece on twitter. "SEE I DIDNT"

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Honj Steak posted:

I like Böhmermann as a tv moderator, but he's even better on radio imo.

Yeah, there's nothing better than zoning out to Sanft & Sorgfältig.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Riso posted:

The best bit is really how Varoufakis jumped on that piece on twitter. "SEE I DIDNT"

And all his fanboys did the same.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

God help me, I can't stop laughing along

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Hier ruht die Schönheitsreparaturklausel.

Nach langer Krankheit vom BGH von Ihrem Leiden erlöst.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I only skimmed over those reports/articles/comments about whateverthefuckgate they're calling the Stinkefinger of Varoufakis and I don't know what's real anymore.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Also, fun lynching fact: The old German 20,00 DM bills had a hanging tree called the "Jew Beech" on them. :eng101:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Randler posted:

Also, fun lynching fact: The old German 20,00 DM bills had a hanging tree called the "Jew Beech" on them. :eng101:

Because it was the most famous novel by German writer Annette von Droste-Hülshoff, who was on the other side of the bill and the tree in that story is actually not used to hang any jews, but the crime scene and later the place where the murderer kills himself.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

GaussianCopula posted:

Because it was the most famous novel by German writer Annette von Droste-Hülshoff, who was on the other side of the bill and the tree in that story is actually not used to hang any jews, but the crime scene and later the place where the murderer kills himself.

I actually meant to post that in another thread to reassure less informed non-Germans about their preconceptions. :negative:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Looks like the assigned sub-committee recommended Edathy be removed from the party.

I'm excited for how the SPD will gently caress this up. :allears:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Randler posted:

Looks like the assigned sub-committee recommended Edathy be removed from the party.

I actually don't care.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Randler posted:

The only thing anyone cares about is that he walked free for what essentially was a pittance.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
We have another German mass murderer. :ohdear:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Imagine being the pilot who desperately tries to get into the cockpit...

Or the family of the co-pilot who were with the other relatives in South-France today when the news hit.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So just how badly is Lufthansa gonna get sued?

Edit: is there no rule saying that 2 people have to be in the cockpit at all times? If the captain/first officer need to step out, doesn't a flight attendant/purser/whatever have to step in until he returns?

quote:

Unlike in the US, European regulations do not provide for two people to be in the cockpit at all times, Spohr said. Lufthansa does not voluntarily implement such a protocol, and Spohr said that he is not aware of any of the company’s competitors that have such a procedure.

Spohr said that it appears the captain punched in the emergency number into the cockpit door to gain entry, but the co-pilot deployed the five-minute override. He said that, irrespective of all the sophisticated safety devices, “you can never exclude such an individual event”, adding “no system in the world could manage to do that”.

vvvvvvvvvv Well that seems like really myopic thinking. It seems like a fairly sensible policy to me -- to be honest, far more sensible than having a five-minute override on the door's security key system in the first place.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 26, 2015

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Drone posted:

Edit: is there no rule saying that 2 people have to be in the cockpit at all times? If the captain/first officer need to step out, doesn't a flight attendant/purser/whatever have to step in until he returns?

Nope.

quote:

Die Regelung, dass sich in einem Cockpit stets zwei Personen befinden, gibt es in Deutschland bei «keiner der grossen deutschen Airlines». Ob er denn diese Regelung nun einführen wolle? «Ich sehe keine Notwendigkeit das zu ändern, es handelt sich hier um einen Einzelfall», sagt Spohr.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

...der grossen deutschen Airlines...

Is there a semantic difference between "Airline" and "Fluggesellschaft" that justifies using the English word in a German text?

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Kopijeger posted:

Is there a semantic difference between "Airline" and "Fluggesellschaft" that justifies using the English word in a German text?

Englisch ist cool.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Kopijeger posted:

The VDS e.V. is full of angry spergs and making them angry is fun?

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Kopijeger posted:

Two syllables / a couple of letters less.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kopijeger posted:

Probably the same reason the Frankfurter Flughafen calls itself "Frankfurt Airport"

Default Settings posted:

Englisch ist cool.

And also the international language of pilots/air traffic control

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Drone posted:

Probably the same reason the Frankfurter Flughafen calls itself "Frankfurt Airport"

And also the international language of pilots/air traffic control

I think you meant to say "FraPort" :colbert:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

blowfish posted:

I think you meant to say "FraPort" :colbert:

Decaf, with almond milk and sprinkles

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

System Metternich posted:

This is either stdh.txt or you were the most annoying little poo poo ever. Probably even both. Also, Kirchenschulen: well known for being super leftist.

3x forgetting homework = Hinweis
3x Hinweis = Verweis
3x Verweis = verschärfter Verweis
3x verschärfter Verweis = have fun looking for another school

(Never got a single Verweis or even Hinweis, by the way :smug: Turns out I was really good at pretending to have done the homework :ssh:)

e: Also once a teacher wanted to give me a Hinweis, but forgot.

One of mine got a Verweis for crossing out the (dreadful) grades of his Zeugnis and writing better ones next to them, trying to convince his parents that it all had been a printing error by the school.
Oh and what kind of school actually cares about this poo poo

I mean most of my school time consisted of habituating my teachers to the fact that they weren't getting any homework out of me and it worked out again even about a year into the Oberstufe

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fluggesellschaft is actually a fairly awkward word.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Fluggesellschaft is actually a fairly awkward word.

And Lufthansa is a pretty anachronistic name for a Fluggesellschaft.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
But anachronistic isn't necessarily bad. I think Lufthansa has an anachronistically German tone in a good way.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The name Lufthansa would make more sense if they were headquartered in like... Hamburg. A Hansestadt.

Not Frankfurt.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

The name Lufthansa would make more sense if they were headquartered in like... Hamburg. A Hansestadt.

Not Frankfurt.

Well, there were more Hansestädte in the past. Recently I was hiking in the Harzer Mountains and was quite surprised to learn the small city of Goslar had been a Hansestadt at some point.

Edit:

By which I mean I think Frankfurt at one point was part of the Hanse, maybe?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Drone posted:

Not Frankfurt.
Their seat is actually Cologne, a bonafide Hansestadt.

I think the name was chosen because of the connotation of a big fleet associated mainly with Germany.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Tomorrow's Bild looks to be a must-buy:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I like that the letters get smaller and smaller, like little children who just learned to write and start with huge letters on a page, only to get progressively smaller when they eont be able to fit everything on the page.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e X posted:

I like that the letters get smaller and smaller, like little children who just learned to write and start with huge letters on a page, only to get progressively smaller when they eont be able to fit everything on the page.

Or, alternately, the sort of reactionary morons who would tend to show up to Tea Party rallies in the US.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Not MY co-pilot!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

I totally hope that it turns out the co-pilot is innocent after all just to laugh at the half-assed microscopical correction/apology the Bild will bury somewhere on page 12. Or is page 12 the page with the boobies?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
He was probably on anti-depressive drugs and they have a tendency to make people snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Riso posted:

He was probably on anti-depressive drugs and they have a tendency to make people snap.
Are people on psychoactive medication allowed in the cockpit?

PT6A posted:

Or, alternately, the sort of reactionary morons who would tend to show up to Tea Party rallies in the US.
Good job filing significant fractions of the proletariat under reactionary idiots, words like that surely are gonna lead to a better world

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

What bothers me about this is the Floskeldichte. "... ein unfassbares Verbrechen, das unsere Vorstellungskraft übersteigt"?