Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBag
May 18, 2006

All Deluxe Kickstarter copies of Orleans are now going to include the 5th player pieces which is pretty awesome :D

EBag fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

Let's build us a happy, little cloud that floats around the sky.
I feel that samurai gets an insufficient amount of love among knizia games. It's still a go-to strategic gateway game for me, and it scales so well from 2 to 4. I'm hoping it's going to be reprinted soon. It'd be nice to see it get the FF makeover that T&E is getting.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

4outof5 posted:

wage slavery is politically correct slavery

Life is suffering.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

4outof5 posted:

wage slavery is politically correct slavery

Instead of replacing the slave cards they should have put them into comical stripped prison jump suits, you know to show that they deserve it. It would be as realistic as pretending slaves didn't exist in the 10th century :rolleyes:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Rutibex posted:

Instead of replacing the slave cards they should have put them into comical stripped prison jump suits, you know to show that they deserve it. It would be as realistic as pretending slaves didn't exist in the 10th century :rolleyes:

Surprisingly, I am not playing Meeple Mancala to engage with the historical atrocities of the Abbasid Caliphate period.

There's a time, a place, and a venue for sober history in gaming. Usually in games with a more thorough research bibliography than "watched Aladdin a couple times." :colbert:

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

Surprisingly, I am not playing Meeple Mancala to engage with the historical atrocities of the Abbasid Caliphate period.

There's a time, a place, and a venue for sober history in gaming. Usually in games with a more thorough research bibliography than "watched Aladdin a couple times." :colbert:

Gutter Owl, was it you that brought up the term for when mechanics reinforce theme in the old thread? I was thinking about that and I couldn't remember the term that you used.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I thought it was BL with 'Conveyance'.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Well, shows the quality of my memory. Good to know.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

EBag posted:

All Kickstarter copies of Orleans are now going to include the 5th player pieces which is pretty awesome :D

Only the deluxe ones, so backers at the $45 level aren't getting the 5th player. Still really nice though!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Prairie Bus posted:

Gutter Owl, was it you that brought up the term for when mechanics reinforce theme in the old thread? I was thinking about that and I couldn't remember the term that you used.

You're probably thinking about my rants on the concept of "conveyance."

Conveyance in game design describes the degree to which the actions, decisions, and responses you are making/experiencing with the game state or game components mirror the actions, decisions, and responses you would make/experience in the situation you are thematically simulating. Or, if you want to sound like less of a prick, conveyance is when what you're actually doing feels like what you're pretend-doing.

So Space Alert is a game with strong conveyance because the time pressure, communication difficulties, and mounting crises feel like piloting a hunk of junk through an enemy attack. Whereas Arkham Horror is a game with weak conveyance, because I'm not actually intimidated or awed by the obscure mysteries of this card I've seen like five loving times. And Nyarlathotep can't cow me with his unfathomable cosmic grandeur when he goes down like a punk to a library sciences graduate with a tommygun and a boob window.

EDIT:

Tekopo posted:

poo poo, now I gotta go look up which one of us said it first.

Okay, looks like BL has me by a mile on this one.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 27, 2015

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Quote is not edit, shitprincess.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

taser rates posted:

Scoring in Castles is easier as well because you're just scoring on adjacency 99% of the time, whereas with Suburbia you have to remember all your tiles that have universal effects whenever you do anything.

This was bugging me too so I printed tokens with the symbol of the global effect triggers and we place them on the burrough board. For example, if someone has a farm that triggers on global restaurant acquisitions, they put a token with the knife or fork or whatever it is on their burrough. Then when someone buys a restaurant they just need to glance at the Burroughs quickly.

I think Suburbia with expansion is a little meatier but I'm interested to see the Ludwig expansion. I wish we had the polish or whatever Ludwig castle art :/

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

fozzy fosbourne posted:

This was bugging me too so I printed tokens with the symbol of the global effect triggers and we place them on the burrough board. For example, if someone has a farm that triggers on global restaurant acquisitions, they put a token with the knife or fork or whatever it is on their burrough. Then when someone buys a restaurant they just need to glance at the Burroughs quickly.

I think Suburbia with expansion is a little meatier but I'm interested to see the Ludwig expansion. I wish we had the polish or whatever Ludwig castle art :/

That Polish art is so drat nice. Gets me legit mad we didn't get it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Any of you ludologists play Concordia? How about that Mac Gerdt in general? How does that stack up with the other popular euros?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Just played Akrotiri for the first time and really enjoyed it. It's a good mix of tile laying and movement strategy. It's complex, but really cool once you wrap your head around everything.

Would be nice if there were a mechanic for more than 2 players, but that could also make it too cluttered (maybe if more than one temple could be built on a single island or if there were more tiles).

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Any of you ludologists play Concordia? How about that Mac Gerdt in general? How does that stack up with the other popular euros?

I've play Concordia twice, and liked it a lot. It's pretty popular in my area, and one of the guys I often play with considers it his top game of 2014 (it was technically released in 2013, but he didn't get to try it until 14, so...).

The only other Mac Gerdt game I've played is Navegador, which I also enjoyed, and I'm sad that it's out of print. I hoped that the success of Concordia gives his future projects more attention, because he's one of my favorite designers based on those two games alone.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

It begins!

With the broken token organizer, what's the best way to store all the tokens and mats that come with the expansions I don't have yet?

EBag
May 18, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I've played it a few times now, once with 4 players and I think three times with 2. I like it quite a bit, I don't have any experience with his other games but it's a pretty quick playing medium-ish euro with elegant mechanics and some decent player interaction.

The card system gives you a lot of control over your strategy and aside from other players stealing cards you want or building in cities you wanted you have a lot of power to plan ahead. There is also an interesting ebb and flow both of actions you will want to perform, and of getting the resources you need. Often it feels like you will have the resources you need but not the actions, or the other way around, and you're torn between acquiring new cities and getting that card you need. Spreading around the map feels kinda similar to Power Grid, but everyone starts in the center and tends to branch out and go their own way, and with more players cities get bought up much faster so you're going to have to expand into other players cities eventually(which just makes it cost more money, doesn't block you out entirely like PG). How scoring is handled and left to the end of the game keeps it interesting and tense up until the last points are tallied which is something I ended up really liking.

There is some variation to the board each time you play with cities being placed differently, and some minor variation in the order of extra cards, but the one thing I'm unsure of about the game is its long term replayability. There is a new board which changes up some of the mechanics, but at least with the base game I think it may start to feel repetitive over a dozen or so plays, but that would still be worth it to me, and I may even be wrong about that. Overall I really like it with replayablity being my only real concern. It plays very smoothly and is very easy to learn and teach.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

It begins!

With the broken token organizer, what's the best way to store all the tokens and mats that come with the expansions I don't have yet?

Well, I hate to break it to you, but I have mine in the Hinterlands box (because it looks the best). I also put 2 sets of common cards in there. I actually have 3 sets of the common cards since I got the updated base cards with alternate art. I couldn't fit more than 1 set of the common cards in the Hobby Lobby case after sleeving all the expansions and promos.

On the plus side, I now have plenty of room for Adventures and whatever else comes next.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well I don't plan on sleeving dominion, so I should be able to fit everything?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

Well I don't plan on sleeving dominion, so I should be able to fit everything?

Yeah I bet you'll be A-OK

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I printed my first print and play game.

I hope I can get someone to play it with me, and that I have enough poker chips.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I really want to print and play Dune but after researching it for a few hours I feel like I need someone to hold my hand and tell me exactly what to download and where to get it printed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah I bet you'll be A-OK

But the best way to store mats and tokens is gonna be in one of the expansion boxes? I guess I can cobble together a tray or something out of foam core for organization.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

But the best way to store mats and tokens is gonna be in one of the expansion boxes? I guess I can cobble together a tray or something out of foam core for organization.

I just tried it out and you should be able to fit them in your case fine. It will only be an issue if you sleeve these bad boys.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I just tried it out and you should be able to fit them in your case fine. It will only be an issue if you sleeve these bad boys.

Oh nice!

I also can't decide if I want to organize by Expansion and then my cost, or by cost and the alphabetically... I would think cost-then-alphabetically would be overall more convenient if I was playing a RANDOMIZE EVERYTHING game, but I like the 'feel' of separating out all the expansions for easier theming

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

jivjov posted:

I also can't decide if I want to organize by Expansion and then my cost, or by cost and the alphabetically... I would think cost-then-alphabetically would be overall more convenient if I was playing a RANDOMIZE EVERYTHING game, but I like the 'feel' of separating out all the expansions for easier theming

Buy a different copy for each organization you prefer.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Gutter Owl posted:

The game was originally set in Ancient Egypt anyway, DoW made him change it because they already have an Egypt game. People who rant about the purity of the designer's vision or historical accuracy are dumb.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

jivjov posted:

Oh nice!

I think expansion and then alphabetically (except Guilds of course), or pure alphabetically through all sets - whichever makes it easier to find where a card belongs for you. For me the former works well since I can have my randomiser group them by set and I always have multiple cards from each chosen set. It also would make it easy for me to just pull out a couple of expansions if I wanted to take them somewhere without carrying everything.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

unpronounceable posted:

I hope I can get someone to play it with me, and that I have enough poker chips.

This reminds me: Question on the intended final product for Final Attack, BL. Will the K-Machine Systems, Limb Systems, and Generic Systems have different backs from one another?

Right now I've got each system category in a different color sleeve for ease of setup, but I didn't know if this was "cheating" for Robeasts like Microscopium.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

unpronounceable posted:

This gives me warm fuzzies something fierce.

Gutter Owl posted:

This reminds me: Question on the intended final product for Final Attack, BL. Will the K-Machine Systems, Limb Systems, and Generic Systems have different backs from one another?

Right now I've got each system category in a different color sleeve for ease of setup, but I didn't know if this was "cheating" for Robeasts like Microscopium.

All System cards have the same back. This only really matters when fighting Eridanus R7* and Microscopium I8**, Eridanus currently being unplayable anyway due to its Omega Form currently between patches since I last cleaned up Robeast resolution timing. Since it's really up to me, it'll make setup and takedown easier, Eridanus is a loving pain in the rear end to fight anyway, and Microscopium is also a pain in the rear end, I might use unique backs for each K-Machine/Limb System pack. If it makes those 2 Robeasts too easy, I'll just buff the Robeasts because the potential benefits have occurred to me in the past.

*Relevant rule for card back discussion:
BETA FORM: In order to put a new System into play, it must be transferred from your to the table by the Pilot to your left.

**Relevant rule for card back discussion:
OMEGA FORM: Visibility is reversed: Cards in pilot hands must face away from them. You are no longer allowed to see your own cards, but you may see others'.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Tzeentch finally clicked for me in Chaos in the Old World yesterday. I can do OK with the other three gods, but I was unable to get my head around the magic guy.

Being a dick, running away with my cultists while taking my toys with me, always having PPs and having 2-3 moves to play with after everyone was empty was great. I'm usually the kind of guy who feels bad when I'm antagonizing other people in games, but this time I positively gloated.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

I really want to print and play Dune but after researching it for a few hours I feel like I need someone to hold my hand and tell me exactly what to download and where to get it printed.

I know of two good redesigns: Ilya's http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/61499/ilya-77-dune-components and Scott's http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/531160/scotts-dune-build-project.

All the downloads on the Ilya design adds up to a normal Dune set. You can probably find some printerstudio or artscow links for the card sets floating around somewhere.
Scott's redesign comes with artscow link and a printerstudio file ready to go, but you won't need deck 4, 5 and 6, the expansion pdf or the coasters and mousepads. EDIT: Unless you want the horrible expansions.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Fat Samurai posted:

Tzeentch finally clicked for me in Chaos in the Old World yesterday. I can do OK with the other three gods, but I was unable to get my head around the magic guy.

Being a dick, running away with my cultists while taking my toys with me, always having PPs and having 2-3 moves to play with after everyone was empty was great. I'm usually the kind of guy who feels bad when I'm antagonizing other people in games, but this time I positively gloated.

Tzeentch is the raddest god. Both in this game and life in general.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

EBag gave a much better description of the mechanics than I ever could, but Concordia is one of my favourites of last year. I played it once at my gaming club, liked it straight away and ended up getting it for Christmas.

To add to EBag's points, another thing I really like about Concordia is that it doesn't overstay its welcome and I always feel that it ends at a suitable point. I've never played Concordia and felt that the game ended just as my resource production/selling engine was getting going. Instead I've found that it's quite possible to get a good trading engine set up during the middle game, then you can sit back a bit and enjoy managing the engine while you spend the end game getting into the last few cities you need or buying up remaining cards for points.

The game ends one of two ways, when someone builds their last (15th) trading post, or the last personality card is bought, and the number of personality cards available depends on the number of players available. Personally I don't feel that one of these criteria is reached more than the others. I've played a few games of 2-player Concordia as well as some 4- and 5-player games and I'd say it's a 50:50 split on which end-game condition we meet.

As for replay value, EBag's comment is valid because all that really changed from game to game is what each city produces, and the order the personality cards become available. That said, the standard game has a double sided board which might help (Roman Italy on one side, for 2-4 players with fewer cities and provinces for a tighter game, or the whole Roman Empire on the other side for 3-5 players, which more cites and more provinces) and there's also an expansion board with Britannia on one side and Germania on the other.

Zveroboy fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 27, 2015

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Raymn posted:

Anyone have an opinion on suburbia vs castles of the mad king Ludwig? I can't decide which to get and they seem pretty similar.

I'd go for Suburbia first personally. While Ludwig has some better mechanics, such as the different shaped tiles and the master builder setting the draft cost, I find Suburbia is a more engaging experience. Yes, it can take some experience to track all the tile effects, but that's half the point. Your actions matter not just to you, but to everyone else, and everyone is acutely aware of the tiles in everyone else's boroughs, because they constantly keep doing things. Players will keep announcing that their reputation, income, etc is going up or down due to certain tiles, which is a nice reminder of how to stop them through spite drafting. In Ludwig I often find the increased efficiency of the game means you're not always aware of what exactly other players are aiming for until someone completes a couple of rooms and scores infinity points.

Basically Suburbia is more fiddley, but if someone told me to close my eyes mid-game and list all the tiles in everyone else's boroughs/castles, I reckon I could over 80% of the tiles right in Suburbia, but less than a third in Ludwig.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Hobo posted:

I know of two good redesigns: Ilya's http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/61499/ilya-77-dune-components and Scott's http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/531160/scotts-dune-build-project.

All the downloads on the Ilya design adds up to a normal Dune set. You can probably find some printerstudio or artscow links for the card sets floating around somewhere.
Scott's redesign comes with artscow link and a printerstudio file ready to go, but you won't need deck 4, 5 and 6, the expansion pdf or the coasters and mousepads. EDIT: Unless you want the horrible expansions.

If your going to make a Dune set nothing beats the 1970's board game feel of the original components:
https://www.mediafire.com/?myyeajm29mmqv0v

Also when making a Dune set don't get some hoity toity "professional printing" that could cost you upwards of tens of dollars. Instead go to any thrift store and check out their board game section. There you will find at least 5 copies of Trivial Pursuit, which has an excellent 4-fold board that converts very nicely for dune (as well as lots of cards and tokens to use for components):

quote:

Board game recycling! Today I was at the thrift store (I check back there every week once I found a mint copy of Ticket to Ride for $5) and I come across this sad Trivial Pursuit. It has been here for as long as I remember. No one cares about it; it is cheap as dirt and no one will buy it This is fair of course as Trivial Pursuit is a terrible game and definitely not worth playing. Maybe I can use the trivia cards in a much better game? I will give it a home.

I get it home and find the components are actually pretty nice. A high quality 4-fold game board and a bunch of heavy cards. This circle really reminds me of......I know this things purpose now!

Trivial Pursuit, you can now be loved

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 27, 2015

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Someone needs to make a modern and awesome Dune-themed game soon :(

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

BonHair posted:

Someone needs to make a modern and awesome Dune-themed game soon :(

Won't happen officially, the Herbert estate is a shambles and his son loves nothing more than making GBS threads on his legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Bubble-T posted:

Won't happen officially, the Herbert estate is a shambles and his son loves nothing more than making GBS threads on his legacy.

On a lark, I picked up the last book after watching the movie in all its 80s Sting glory..

:smith:

Speaking of movie-themed games that don't suck, I'm enjoying Legendary: Encounters much more than I should, given that I disliked Marvel Legendary.