Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

SynthOrange posted:

I pretend my cims are americans desperately trying to figure out roundabouts.

*stops suddenly to let someone into the roundabout*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I love watching 100 cars make angry U-turns when you demolish the crappy intersection they were headed towards.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Signaled intersections have their uses and can be good in ways roundabouts are not, but gently caress four way stops forever. That said a roundabout uses like ten times more land than a four way stop so I'm not surprised so many loving four way stops still exist, but holy gently caress are they terrible.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
TRAFFIC
gently caress

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Man, I finally got level 5 residential buildings to pop up.

All it took was 1 of each service building on the same block.

Probably not worth it. :|

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Bogan Krkic posted:

A word of warning, the Traffic++ mod seems to be removing the arrows on roads so you can't tell which way they're going. I've unsubscribed for now, I loved the zonable pedestrian paths but he's tried to add too much to the mod and it seems to be loving everything up now

Goddamn it, why gently caress around with a good thing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

*stops suddenly to let someone into the roundabout*

This exact poo poo happened to me today. I was approaching the roundabout, slowed because there were oncoming cars already in it, when this lady stops to let me in. Cue four other cars slamming their breaks behind her and some neo-nazi looking guy hanging out his window screaming at her.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

halokiller posted:

Agreed. Literally all I want is a service vehicle road, not some bullshit traffic 'fix'

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Well I had spots planned for 4 more little towns, but the commercial death spiral has hit hard and everything is slowly dying around me. I think it's time for a break. Thanks for the cool rear end map, Fish Fry Andy.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

halokiller posted:

loving with a good thing is basically modders.txt

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The Simcity4 Moddening, it beginscontinues.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Starhawk64 posted:

Do you guys have any tips on how to keep industrial traffic under control? No matter how many times I attempt to fix my road layout or ban heavy traffic I've got trucks stuck in gridlock for miles on end. It seems every time I try to reroute the bastards and free one part of my network they go and clog another. Considering just :killdozer: the entire industrial sector and moving it to some isolated part of the city where the only way in or out is through the highway. How do you guys keep the horde of trucks under control?

Well see what you do is
https://gfycat.com/HotFavorableDanishswedishfarmdog

:shepicide:

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Croccers posted:

The Simcity4 Moddening, it beginscontinues.

I've already seen an asset mod with a stated prop dependency on workshop.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I should start playing some of these other maps now. I could use some help figuring out which Mars map is the good one. The Steam Workshop has a bunch of them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hailthefish posted:

Signaled intersections have their uses and can be good in ways roundabouts are not, but gently caress four way stops forever. That said a roundabout uses like ten times more land than a four way stop so I'm not surprised so many loving four way stops still exist, but holy gently caress are they terrible.

Do you guys not have casual small back street roundabouts there.

We happily retrofit roundabouts all the time onto intersections where Give Way signs got too busy and we can't be hosed with lights without taking up more space. Like so:

That said I had to google what a four-way stop was, we don't have them here. If there's no signal or roundabout, one street always has right of way over another. It's what bugs me about skylines - the majority of suburban back street intersections will be unsignalled, and skylines just doesn't have that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 27, 2015

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Starhawk64 posted:

Do you guys have any tips on how to keep industrial traffic under control? No matter how many times I attempt to fix my road layout or ban heavy traffic I've got trucks stuck in gridlock for miles on end. It seems every time I try to reroute the bastards and free one part of my network they go and clog another. Considering just :killdozer: the entire industrial sector and moving it to some isolated part of the city where the only way in or out is through the highway. How do you guys keep the horde of trucks under control?

For me the only thing that works without massive babysitting is just not make the zones that big.

Three rows with highway entrance on one side and exit the other. Building a train depot helps a lot to keep the highway clear and if you have remote ore/oil sites they'll actually ship stuff by rail. All roads except for the train depot are bidirectional, doesn't make much of a difference and is a lot easier for services.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
If anyone is after a good 'challenge' (even thought it 's not really)

Get that big National Park map. A nice river cuts up the valley and you can get real creative with placing small towns. I managed to get up onto a giant mesa/mountain [district is called Mount Mesa!] and it's hilarious seeing a train of cars and industrial trucks climbing the hill like worker ants.

Also:

Caption please

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Gave one of the island maps I found a go,

I made the sunbeams purple for a minute while I :420:'d and pretended my log industry was a massive marijuana plantation

This is how all the :420: gets exported

I named my Opera House (top left in the back) "The Cropera House" :420:

I have a decent amount of space left. (Not pictured, to the North) I think with careful planning, I will be able to squeeze 100k into 9 tiles.

Once I manage that, I guess I'll unlock all 27 or something. These hilly maps would be far better with tunnels, hopefully those are coming soon :getin:

As far as managing Industrial traffic goes, I give them dedicated highway on/offramps and also use two train stations to transport goods from my industry center to my dense commercial area.
Even if you do a good job routing, all it takes is a few fire trucks, a bus, and emptying a landfill/cemetery to completely crush everything.

Edit: for some reason, I haven't been able to get the game to run at 2560x1440. Have no problem with it in other games or the desktop itself. Any idea how2fix??

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Chewbot posted:

I've been working on a Napa valley-esque farmlands. It's only about 12k people, but is 90% low-density, dirt roads and 4-lane roads (I wanted to make a city using the worst possible roads). I laid out the streets similar to how they do in Napa. Farmland's surprisingly hard to make look "full".

Aerial:

Western district:

Eastern district:

I want to break your mousing hand! That is seriously pretty and you should upload this to the workshop.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 27, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Where is my freaking superelevation Colossal Order :argh:

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

I made the sunbeams purple for a minute while I :420:'d and pretended my log industry was a massive marijuana plantation

I have a decent amount of space left. (Not pictured, to the North) I think with careful planning, I will be able to squeeze 100k into 9 tiles.

Once I manage that, I guess I'll unlock all 27 or something. These hilly maps would be far better with tunnels, hopefully those are coming soon :getin:

As far as managing Industrial traffic goes, I give them dedicated highway on/offramps and also use two train stations to transport goods from my industry center to my dense commercial area.
Even if you do a good job routing, all it takes is a few fire trucks, a bus, and emptying a landfill/cemetery to completely crush everything.

Edit: for some reason, I haven't been able to get the game to run at 2560x1440. Have no problem with it in other games or the desktop itself. Any idea how2fix??

Thats the bora bora map, I like it as well, but you should try reclaiming some land. You can't on one side where the water sources come out of the ocean so I have to try building around them still.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

BallsFalls posted:

Guys the first person camera mod is really great you should check it out if you haven't already, you can follow your cims!

https://vimeo.com/123378382

First-person camera: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406255342

Yeah I kinda love that mods get auto updated, it feels like every day I load up the game, notice some new mystery button, click on it, and go :aaaaa: at some new feature that's been added to a mod I subscribe to.

Of course it's only a matter of time before some modder ruins their popular mod for everyone with feature creep bullshit like that popular Skyrim mod that was linked to earlier, sounds like some people already feel that way about Zoneable Pedestrian Paths -> Traffic ++. I'm hopeful the developers will have noticed that zoneable paths are a feature that players really really want and will just implement it into the base game like they did with the popular Extended Road Upgrade mod.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Things I can't wait for CO to offer as dlc or someone to mod: the ability to put more tracks on a train station ala transport tycoon, train type upgrades and stairs for making really tiny pedestrian overpasses that don't require huge crazy ramps. And from Tropico I'd steal hotels and resorts and junk like that. I followed a bunch of old tourists around my city once I'd built the airport, one rode the tube to a landmark then stole a car and booked it out of town, the other died of old age waiting for a train.

Is it just me or do people up the top end of the station never get picked up when station is over-crowded?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
USE YOUR DISTRICTS.

I was having massive traffic problems in my main office/commercial area that I call "The Strip". I figured out that it was because big-rear end industrial trucks were driving up there to make deliveries to the cargo depot that I set up to use as a spawnpoint for delivery vans. I set the district to "No Heavy Traffic", and it cleared the traffic right up and got the industrial trucks pathing to their proper depots in one swoop.

Edit: I think it was all coming from my lumberyards, which aren't attached to a depot in their same complex.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

MikeJF posted:

Do you guys not have casual small back street roundabouts there.

We happily retrofit roundabouts all the time onto intersections where Give Way signs got too busy and we can't be hosed with lights without taking up more space. Like so:

Some neighborhoods around here have those, but they suck and only exist for traffic calming. All they do is put as big a curbed circle as they can in the middle of the intersection because they can't widen the streets. Some of them also have stop signs.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Chewbot posted:

I've been working on a Napa valley-esque farmlands. It's only about 12k people, but is 90% low-density, dirt roads and 4-lane roads (I wanted to make a city using the worst possible roads). I laid out the streets similar to how they do in Napa. Farmland's surprisingly hard to make look "full".

Aerial:

Western district:

Eastern district:

Got any tips for creating realistic looking farmland? I'm trying to give it a whack but it looks like poo poo

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I hope they add single lane two way roads or some thinner variant of the existing 2 way road for more compact neighborhoods at some point.

Single grid square roads would be nice.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

USE YOUR DISTRICTS.

I was having massive traffic problems in my main office/commercial area that I call "The Strip". I figured out that it was because big-rear end industrial trucks were driving up there to make deliveries to the cargo depot that I set up to use as a spawnpoint for delivery vans. I set the district to "No Heavy Traffic", and it cleared the traffic right up and got the industrial trucks pathing to their proper depots in one swoop.

Edit: I think it was all coming from my lumberyards, which aren't attached to a depot in their same complex.

If you set a commercial district to no heavy pathing, surely they'll never get goods delivered.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Red Mike posted:

If you set a commercial district to no heavy pathing, surely they'll never get goods delivered.
The delivery vans commercial gets aren't heavy traffic. They're the vans you occasionally see driving around with hot dogs/bug spray cans/etc. on them.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Smart Car posted:

The delivery vans commercial gets aren't heavy traffic. They're the vans you occasionally see driving around with hot dogs/bug spray cans/etc. on them.

I didn't know that. That would have made my latest city redesign so much simpler.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Fellow KC goon! That stretch of 35 is just a few miles away from my work.

The exit you posted off 70 is probably designed to capture the toll both ways since that stretch is part of the turnpike. If you look at where it joins 2nd St, there's an outline for a toll booth there. So they probably built it like that to get away with only building one booth rather than having separate booths for both directions.
Skylines could probably use some toll infrastructure now that I think of it.

xergm fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 27, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
The CimCopter person is making progress. There's collision detection on buildings! Also gives hope for Streets of CimCity. http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/30ghvj/wip_collision_detection_with_the_ground_and/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZcQNiRDeU

quote:

I started this a few days ago and posted about it here: http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/2ztxca/anyone_else_remember_simcopter_heres_a_cities/[1] . Since then I've been hard at work figuring out how to import 3D models and get collision detection to work. This post's just a demo of a nightly build!
There's still tons left to do before I can make the first version that I think people would actually want to play. My goal is to offer flying, landing, and collision detection at a minimum. Icing on the cake would be having people react to your helicopter and being able to get in and out.
Once all the basics are working, I'd like to start adding missions, the ability to interact with burning buildings, doing medivacs, etc.
I also just made a subreddit for it: /r/CityCopter[2] .
Edit: I posted an explanation on how I did the collision detection in /r/CityCopter[3] , which other modders might find useful (users, probably not): http://www.reddit.com/r/CityCopter/comments/30gc4z/i_just_got_ground_and_building_collision/[4]

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Red Mike posted:

I didn't know that. That would have made my latest city redesign so much simpler.

Yeah. The whole thing I was going for was:
Cargo depot in The Strip is linked to 2 other cargo depots at my two major industrial centers. Cargo arrives by train, and the depot spawns delivery vans so that they don't have to drive all the way from the other end of town.

What happened was: industrial TRUCKS were driving out from the lumber mills, which lacked their own dedicated train depot, and into the big city, to deliver their export goods to the depot there.

By setting a heavy traffic ban policy in The Strip, I forced the lumber trucks to use the highway to either truck goods out of town, or take them to the depot at the neighboring oil/generic industry complex.

Before I figured it out, the traffic jams caused a minor trash-pocalypse :v:

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

You know someone made some actual "hemp" industry stuff right?

Because of course they did.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Hey, Zonable Pedestrian Paths is back, by itself, and from the original modder no less. Looks like we're not dealing with a crazy prima-donna. Rejoice in your working paths, without broken feature creep.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
Third patch in under a month, I like the cut of these guys' jib.

quote:

Greetings Chirpies!

Our post-launch adventure continues as Colossal Order bravely trek down the gritty path of fixing bugs and solving issues. Today we are excited to bring you another (mainly) bug-fixing focused patch.

So here we are, thinking about what is best in life. Crushing the bugs, seeing them driven before us and - as a reward - hear the lamentations of their ever decreasing forces.

As I mentioned last week, if your specific issue has not been fixed it most likely means we're tracking and attempting to solve it.

We will share a more long-term road map on what's to come in a not too distant future. Expect an update regarding that, tunnels, wall-to-wall buildings, bugs we're tracking and more within a not-too-long-period-of-time (or as some of our colleagues in the industry would say, soon).

As we're rolling out the update via steam it might take up to two hours, or so, for it to go live everywhere. Please re-start your steam or verify the game cache if the game does not automatically download the patch.

You can see which version number you're running in the lower right corner of the main menu, if you're not sure that you've gotten it.

1.0.7b - Patch Notes
  • Warning added when enabling a mod
  • Save to cloud box now remain checked if the loading was performed from a cloud save
  • Japanese garden for everyone
  • Added command line parameter "-limitfps x" to set a target fps
  • Mac/Linux: Fixed custom assets not loading due to an invalid PNG format.
  • Mac: Removed menu bar & docks in fullscreen mode
  • Asset Editor: the default size of assets created from templates now matches the template size if loading props
  • Asset Editor: fixed a case where the default textures may get corrupted and require to restart the game
  • Asset Editor: already placed props can now be moved around and rotated in place (respectively using the left and right mouse click) when no tools are selected
  • Asset Editor: fixed cases where LODs may not rotate with the building in the import panel
  • Steam workshop: Steam fixed the workshop not being showing when in offline mode in the latest Steam client release (24 Mar)
  • Locale: added LOADING text
  • Misc: fixed a case where command line arguments may conflict
  • Misc: removed an invalid key binding option
  • Misc: Added screenshot shortcuts to rebindable input (default is F12 for normal screenshot and shift+F12 for hi-res screenshot, also local screenshots now go to gameUserFolder/Screenshots) Steam screenshot feature is untouched and still the preferred method to take screenshots
  • Misc: Info views panel added to the Escape chain so the last Escape press will close the info views now
  • Misc: Save map does not show builtin and workshop maps any longer
  • UI: Fixed arrows sprites not showing feedback when interacted with
  • UI: Fixed color picker color not displaying in the right color space
  • No more duplicate name error for identical names coming from different packages
  • Paths can not be built inside elevated roads anymore
  • Elevated roads can now be upgraded or changed direction if one-ways
  • .ccs files displayed in red can now be selected in the load panel when trying to recover a failed save (when a save fails and attempt to
  • preserve itself generating a .ccs file)
  • french localization improved
  • general audio improvements (should help address the sound stuttering issue with some sound cards)
Once again we'd like to thank everyone who has taken their time to assist us in tracking and eliminating our technical issues. You're awesome.

The rest of you... well you're pretty darn cool too!

Regards,
The Cities: Skylines Team

Nothing really sexy in there, but it's nice to see a developer who can patch their game more then 1-2 times a year.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

quote:

Misc: Info views panel added to the Escape chain so the last Escape press will close the info views now

Woo finally. Even after hours of play, I constantly hit esc to close info views and get the options menu up instead.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
For some reason all of the maps/assets/mods/etc that I didn't make myself are missing in game, though the content manager still shows them all under the steam workshop tab. Can't use my main city since I used custom coal plants and don't have the money to replace them.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Woo finally. Even after hours of play, I constantly hit esc to close info views and get the options menu up instead.

Sweet Jesus. This annoyed me enough to notice, not enough to complain. Glad it's fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Hey, Zonable Pedestrian Paths is back, by itself, and from the original modder no less. Looks like we're not dealing with a crazy prima-donna. Rejoice in your working paths, without broken feature creep.

Aw yiss. Can't wait for this to not work with the latest patch