Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
It's a drat shame that battlecruisers suck so much. "Battlecruiser" just sounds so badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
They don't suck at everything, they're just incredibly specialized. Battlecruisers are really good for commerce raiding and not at all good at anything else (the British used them at Jutland because Beatty was an incredible egotist, rather than because it was a good tactical idea.)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'd be interested in reading it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Miss-Bomarc posted:

They don't suck at everything, they're just incredibly specialized. Battlecruisers are really good for commerce raiding and not at all good at anything else (the British used them at Jutland because Beatty was an incredible egotist, rather than because it was a good tactical idea.)

And in the commerce raiding role they were largely supplanted by submarines, which were much less vulnerable to attack. The niche for them was there, but it wasn't a very widespread or useful one.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I enjoyed Germline. Here's my post on it:

I really liked Germline.

About the same time I read the Union series by Phillip Richards. Very gritty future infantry warfare written by a serving UK soldier.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Daktari posted:

So am I the only one who's struggling a bit with The Dragon Never Sleeps?
I'm maybe a 1/6 into the book, and I still don't grasp all the concepts presented. What's the deal with the Other dudes, and how the societies are connected/ the different power structures?

I read The Dragon Never Sleeps recently since it was recommended here, but I thought it was awful. For the first ~20% I had no idea what was going on and didn't care about any of the characters, for the last 80% I had no idea what was going on and didn't care about any of the characters but I was interested in hearing more about some of the concepts and how the Guardships worked so I kept reading. Nothing more was really revealed though and I don't feel like the plot went anywhere :shrug:

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm reading The Forever War after a long break from reading scifi for fun, and I'm surprised at how jarring the idea of a software-less future is. I have read a lot of classic scifi but not for a long time. The idea of humans interacting with technology through mechanical controls seems absurd to me. The most shocking thing was the idea of the powered suits with dumb mechanical waldos that allow control inputs that will kill the driver, but almost all of the technology strikes me as bizarre. Weapons that have to be aimed by hand, no drone weapons, dumb optics that allow retina-burning settings... it's very weird, and it surprises me how weird it is to me.

I tried re-reading the Foundation series recently, and the section where Sneldon gets locked out on the surface of Trantor struck me as bizarre this time around now that I am accustomed to mobile phones. The idea that someone just doesn't normally carry a mobile, if not some kind of jazzy scifi implant thing, was very strange. Reading old scifi really shows you how the world has changed since it was written.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mars4523 posted:

It's a drat shame that battlecruisers suck so much. "Battlecruiser" just sounds so badass.

Ultimately, the problem with Battlecruisers was that technology passed them by before they ever had a chance to shine. The basic premise of a battlecruiser was that "speed will be her armor" but by the time they actually got to fight anyone, in World War I, advances in gunnery meant that speed wasn't an effective defense after all. And then submarines had supplanted them as the better and cheaper commerce raiders.

Then World War II came around, and by then there was nothing that a battlecruiser could do that a carrier couldn't do better.

But hey, we're in the Space Opera forum! So if you the space opera author want to have a ship class called "battlecruiser" that doesn't suck rear end? You can! Weber and White do it in some of the Starfire books, and Weber likes battlecruisers in the Honor books as well.

ArchangeI posted:

Well, Truman once said the USMC had a propaganda apparatus that put the Soviet Union to shame. I can totally see Congress forcing the Air Force (or whoever ends up running the US space fleet) to take Marines on board for "self-protection" because the Marines whined to Congress about it. We are talking about a service who wanted a supersonic stealth fighter that can take off and land vertically so they can operate it from hastily-secured beachheads (in tyool 2015) and got it.

At least, that is how I did it in my novel :v:

Speaking of which, I am currently looking for advance readers to give me some feedback on it and maybe a review after it is published. If you don't mind reading one of these dreaded ~self-published~ books, give me a shout at robertdreyerhro[at]gmail.com

If I had to describe it in a single sentence, it is one of Tom Clancy's saner novels set in the early 22nd century. You have multiple blocks all striving for dominance in the inner solar system, mankind is just starting to think about maybe colonizing Mars while already actively mining asteroids, with a kind of cold war brinkmanship thrown in the mix. Predictably, it all goes wrong at some point and the world has itself a good old fashioned throwdown.

Includes, among other things: The Russian and British armies reenacting the Charge of the Light Brigade on the Moon, Germans in tanks named after big cats, a Daring Commando Raid, a man on the run from his past, a woman seeking to right past wrongs, a young man finding his place in the world, a spy of questionable loyalties, orbital bombardment shown from the receiving end, a number of space battles, and a maneuver I like to call The Newtonian Handbrake.

Not included are awkward sex scenes, crazy political ramblings, battlecruisers or the discussions of the qualities of their officers.

I like to think it is quite good, but then again I'm probably biased.

Hey, sure, I'll have a look. I don't guarantee I'll have time to finish it, but if it's a compelling read I probably will regardless of whether I really have time to do so or not, that's just how I'm wired.

We can have an in thread book club! :eng101:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Piell posted:

I'd be interested in reading it.

ed balls balls man posted:

I'd give it a read as well.

Ayn Marx posted:

I also want to read that :magical:

Captain Monkey posted:

Link it or distribute this, I want to read it.

vvv Monkey related usernames only :colbert: vvv

If you guys could drop me a message at robertdreyerhro@gmail.com I can get it to you.

Many thanks to those who have already contacted me, I hope you'll enjoy it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darkrenown posted:

I read The Dragon Never Sleeps recently since it was recommended here, but I thought it was awful. For the first ~20% I had no idea what was going on and didn't care about any of the characters, for the last 80% I had no idea what was going on and didn't care about any of the characters but I was interested in hearing more about some of the concepts and how the Guardships worked so I kept reading. Nothing more was really revealed though and I don't feel like the plot went anywhere :shrug:

I'm not getting down on you or anything - you're free to like whatever books you want to like -, but these explanations are just the weirdest thing to me. There's lots of stuff going on, but it was all pretty clear.

It's certainly not as easy a read as Harry Potter or anything. I feel like Malazan had a similar 'put you in the world and ask that you learn about it' process.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 28, 2015

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Drifter posted:

Wow. Way to sound like a grade-A dick, man.

Yeah that read worse than was intended. I loved Armor. I have real doubts about any sequel written twenty years later, so I'm not sure if it was better to get a sequel or not.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Drifter posted:

I'm not getting down on you or anything - you're free to like whatever books you want to like -, but these explanations are just the weirdest thing to me. There's lots of stuff going on, but it was all pretty clear.

It's certainly not as easy a read as Harry Potter or anything. I feel like Malazan had a similar 'put you in the world and ask that you learn about it' process.

Yeah. It throws you in the deep end, but it's not exactly Finnegans Wake. There are lots of books where you just sort of have to go with it, and trust that the context will become clear. I thought that worked well in The Dragon Never Sleeps. Very simply, it's about an interstellar war and the people who cause/fight/try to profit by it. The meta plot is pretty simple. One thing that threw me off in addition to the minimal exposition was there's really no good or bad characters. A lot of traditional story structure is based on knowing who you're rooting for, and against. In this novel the characters realign several times, and people I assumed were supposed to be villains became protagonists in their own right. That was cool, but confusing at first, when you're also trying to get a handle on the setting.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

If you want Mil SF that focuses more on ground-level combat than the usual space opera stuff, Ian Douglas's stuff has a bunch of that. He's got clear conservative leanings when it comes to politicians and their interactions with the military, and the whole ancient aliens thing isn't exactly unique, but it's fun reading.

Also if you've got a hate on for the USMC you'd be best served elsewhere. Douglas was a Navy Corpsman, and loves his Marines. He has the Navy transition to being the service mostly responsible for spacecraft, which makes sense because there's a lot more institutional knowledge applicable to space travel/combat in the service used to confined spaces and crew-manned craft than in the Air Force. Using the Marines as the primary invasion force follows the same logic, they're a part of the Navy, and orbital insertions are basically the next generation of amphibious landings. The Corps is also a lot more specialized than the Army is, both in the actual world right now and in the books.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I thought of The Dragon Never Sleeps as a novelized EVE drama and it made more sense.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tanith posted:

I thought of The Dragon Never Sleeps as a novelized EVE drama and it made more sense.

What's EVE?

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
https://www.eveonline.com/

quote:

EVE Online is a massively multiplayer online game set 23,000 years in the future. As an elite spaceship pilot, you will explore, build, and dominate across a universe of over 7,000 star systems. Sandbox gameplay and advanced skill-based progression provide you with a truly unique experience as you rise to power among the stars.

aka spreadsheet simulator

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

For some of us, it's Jabber Online.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hmmm. That doesn't sound similar at all except for taking place in or around Space.Oh well.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Drifter posted:

Hmmm. That doesn't sound similar at all except for taking place in or around Space.Oh well.
https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/CONCORD
https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/CONCORD_%28Mechanics%29

Space Police NPCs who keep the peace in their neck of the galaxy. The rest of it is just drama and backstabbing and crazy people trying to get a competitive edge and screw everyone else over.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
Also, remember that The Dragon Never Sleeps is supposed to be a reinterpretation of the Norse Eddas in a sci-fi context.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

ArchangeI posted:

If you guys could drop me a message at robertdreyerhro@gmail.com I can get it to you.

Many thanks to those who have already contacted me, I hope you'll enjoy it.

Would love to read this. I will email you shortly.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Drifter posted:

I didn't much enjoy Malazan either, although I read the whole thing. I'm going to complain about TDNS a bit more, mostly just venting:

The corporate people. They just constantly and seemingly pointlessly betray each other over and over, but I don't have any reason to care about any of them since they are all horrible, so I don't give a poo poo that X is betraying Y but really Y knows about it and is going to preemptively counter-betray X to Z who is also betraying X and Y. Uhoh, it turns out that X knew about both plots the whole time and is really meta-betraying Y and Z! Then at some point the corporate lady gets on an abandoned Guardship and it turns out that sometimes the Guardship's main computer becomes a naked retarded guy so she takes control of the ship by loving it. Now she has a Guardship! She has a plan to do...something! But then they go to a place and the ship gets destroyed, oh well.

The outcast aliens - there's a psi alien involved in a pretty boring side story, and some kind of flying sex slave who don't really do much, and some kind of immortal super general who is great at space war. Super alien general has a plan to destroy the Guardships, but he doesn't really want to destroy them. Or Does he?! No, he doesn't.

The Outsider empire. These guys want to take down the Guardships, but they're a bit poo poo. If they have super-general on their side and turn an entire solar system into a trap they can sometimes destroy a Guardship, but for the most part the war seems hopelessly one-side and the Guardships treat the whole thing as a bit of a chore. The Guardships do end up using all their stockpiled resources, but at the same time they are building a new even larger base to control still more of the galaxy and don't seem to bother sending any aid to the war besides the local forces.

The Guardships. This was the best part of the book for me, it was pretty interesting to read about this immortal force which has been so powerful for so long they don't give a poo poo about the empire they defend and something like half the fleet is somewhere between eccentric and flat out mad. Some of them realise they're losing focus and stagnating, and that despite their power they have too large an area to defend effectively and may eventually be eclipsed if they don't change and refocus on their purpose. They seem to have plans to recruit new blood and expand the fleet, but nothing really happens before the book ends. I would have liked to hear more about the Guardships that went weird, how the Guardships became so untouchable, and the struggle to reform the fleet to be able to expand and stay motivated in their role.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I read all of falkenberg's legion over the last 4 days and it reminded me a lot of black company, are there anymore black company in space series that are good?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Washout posted:

I read all of falkenberg's legion over the last 4 days and it reminded me a lot of black company, are there anymore black company in space series that are good?

Maybe Tanya Huff's Confederation series?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/772606.Valor_s_Choice

I've never read Hammer's Slammers, but would that fit the bill?

maybe to a lesser extent Tony Daniels' Metaplanetary series? <- This probably isn't like TBC, but I like it a lot. :colbert:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/116171.Metaplanetary

Grand Central Arena by Ryk E Spoor? I enjoyed this one.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6948420-grand-central-arena

Drifter fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 5, 2015

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ulmont posted:

And A Civil Campaign before that. And Barrayar, for a lot of it. Romance mixed with other items is pretty much Bujold's stock in trade.
I couldn't finish A Civil Campaign, there was just too much cheese. By that point in the series you don't need constant action anymore, you like the characters and are content to just spend time with them. By the point that I stopped all that had happened was to advance the various subplots none of which were all that exciting. From what I've read there's some intrigue involving some aristocrat getting a sex-change, but it'd barely been mentioned at all in favor of some bullshit about Butterbugs or some poo poo. Maybe I'll try to give it another chance some day.

The Sharing Knife is pretty great, the one issue I had with it was too much romance filler. Books one and two could easily have been combined if she'd edited out a bunch of unnecessary romance poo poo, mostly from the middle of book two. She did write it in such a way that I kept reading this time because she's established that exciting things could be expected to happen.

Hopefully this new book will be chronologically after Cryoburn so we can finally get a glimpse of where things stand after Aral's death. Ending on something major like that, then not advancing the plot for 6 years kind of hurts.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 5, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Drifter posted:

Maybe Tanya Huff's Confederation series?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/772606.Valor_s_Choice

I've never read Hammer's Slammers, but would that fit the bill?

maybe to a lesser extent Tony Daniels' Metaplanetary series? <- This probably isn't like TBC, but I like it a lot. :colbert:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/116171.Metaplanetary

Grand Central Arena by Ryk E Spoor? I enjoyed this one.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6948420-grand-central-arena

Be warned - Spoor lets his nerdboner swing free and proud. There's a decent classic space opera hidden behind all the silly references and shout-outs, but the series is only recommended if this page doesn't make you run away screaming.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

Be warned - Spoor lets his nerdboner swing free and proud. There's a decent classic space opera hidden behind all the silly references and shout-outs, but the series is only recommended if this page doesn't make you run away screaming.

Oh for gently caress's sake. None of those references anyone would get unless you're already some supernerd sperg.

Nobody normal would piece that poo poo together unless they looked specifically at that page before reading the book, much less have the world be ruined because of it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
You may not get or care about the references, but when an author feels the need to explain that "Things were finally looking up." "is a fairly obvious equivalent of those devastating words "what could possibly go wrong?"" then I'm not sure I want to read any more of the guy's writing.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Casimir Radon posted:

Hopefully this new book will be chronologically after Cryoburn so we can finally get a glimpse of where things stand after Aral's death. Ending on something major like that, then not advancing the plot for 6 years kind of hurts.

I mentioned this before, but I was kinda afraid that Bujold would use that as a sort of natural ending point for Miles' story, and instead start focusing on either earlier adventures or more on other cast members. I hope that isn't the case :(

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

rafikki posted:

I mentioned this before, but I was kinda afraid that Bujold would use that as a sort of natural ending point for Miles' story, and instead start focusing on either earlier adventures or more on other cast members. I hope that isn't the case :(

I think it is. The Ivan book was funny though.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

He's also the guy who has his characters quote Zero Wing.

Drifter posted:

I've never read Hammer's Slammers, but would that fit the bill? (as Black Company In Space)
In terms of "grimdark mercs violently explode their enemies", sure. There's a strong undercurrent of "OH poo poo WE'RE ALL hosed" in The Black Company that really doesn't come through in Hammer's Slammers, though; HS are very clearly better at what they're doing than anyone else in the universe.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Washout posted:

Did you read the other three novels? Falkenberg's Legion is just the first one.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Reading Hyperion now.

It's very good.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kesper North posted:

I think it is. The Ivan book was funny though.
The Ivan book takes place before Cryoburn I think if she was going to end it there it would have at least amounted to a longer epilogue. I'm sure she'll write a proper ending for Mile's story at some point, it''ll probably be a while in coming though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just finished Hyperion and I am mad about the ending. Did anyone else finish Hyperion? I think the author just didn't know how to end it, couldn't get the 5th story to work, wrote them both out of the frame story and came up with the most ridiculous ending he could think of beyond ROCKS FALL EVERYONE DIES.

FURIOUS SPOILERS
The characters are about to reach the big reveal to the mult-part mystery all the stories have been building towards, then walk off towards their destination singing "we're off to see the wizard" and the book ends. That is not hyperbole, that is literally what happens in the end.

I mean the first 500 pages were really good. Was Dan Simmons poor at the time or something? The ending reminds me very strongly of Farenheit 451's bizarre WELP I LITERALLY CAN'T AFFORD FOOD FOR MY FAMILY AND I ALREADY WROTE THE INTERESTING AND GOOD PART SO TIME TO PUBLISH THIS.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 6, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

hannibal posted:

Yeah I read a book a day when I actually have something to read, problem is finding stuff now that I haven't read before, I actually reread it because I had forgotten about it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I just finished Hyperion and I am mad about the ending. Did anyone else finish Hyperion? I think the author just didn't know how to end it, couldn't get the 5th story to work, wrote them both out of the frame story and came up with the most ridiculous ending he could think of beyond ROCKS FALL EVERYONE DIES.

FURIOUS SPOILERS
The characters are about to reach the big reveal to the mult-part mystery all the stories have been building towards, then walk off towards their destination singing "we're off to see the wizard" and the book ends. That is not hyperbole, that is literally what happens in the end.

I mean the first 500 pages were really good. Was Dan Simmons poor at the time or something? The ending reminds me very strongly of Farenheit 451's bizarre WELP I LITERALLY CAN'T AFFORD FOOD FOR MY FAMILY AND I ALREADY WROTE THE INTERESTING AND GOOD PART SO TIME TO PUBLISH THIS.

OK, now read the next book.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

RVProfootballer posted:

OK, now read the next book.

Yeah but stop after that one. Three and four are a hundred pages of plot scattered over 1100 pages of text, with an ending that completely fails to justify the time investment.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Arglebargle III posted:

FURIOUS SPOILERS

I had the same experience. Everyone says to read the next book, but the opening was so tremendously dull that I could not bring myself to do so. I sort of chalked the ending up to "lol Canterbury Tales, lol actual literature" and moved on.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

hannibal posted:

Since the Falkenberg novels are set in the same continuity as the Mote in God's Eye books, I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask if anyone's read the third Mote book written by Jerry Pournelle's daughter, and if so, is it at least tolerable to read? Mote in God's Eye is one of my favorite books ever, and I even enjoyed The Gripping Hand for the most part, so I probably have higher tolerance for a lovely sequel to it than most, but "written by the daughter of the less-talented half of the original author pair" is a hard sell even so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
The Space Catholicism is the only good bit of Endymion and Rise of Endymion. The rest of it is more like the Ozzie parts of PFH's Commonwealth Saga, complete with annoying child. The series was worth reading once because I wanted to see how some of the more interesting plot lines got tied up, but I wouldn't do it again.

• Locked thread