Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
Oh my god, we're launching from one never-ending debate straight into another!

... Have we ever seen Anthony and Jones in the same shot? What if they are one and the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Jones is actually good with kids and treats Eglamore with affection.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
It's all a ruse! :tinfoil:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Fangz posted:

Jones is actually good with kids and treats Eglamore with affection.

It could be an experiment, in which Jones gives one subject the appearance of love and affection, while Jones gives the other subject a lovely dad.

Science occurs.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

This is wonderful.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I chose a great time to start reading this thread again :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP Annie.

OH fudge Kat's hearing of this for the first time. Annie how could you!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
For one page of the chapter I'm not angry at Tony :smith:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

THE CHEATING SUBPLOT RESOLVED

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Uh oh he doesn't hate her, he's just disappointed that's like a million times worse.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
We interrupt Gunnerkrigg Court to complete the afterschool special subplot on cheating in the classroom.

Good Job all around, everyone involved in this scene. (Tony Did Nothing Wrong (Other than being Bad Dad, Worst Friend (obviously))).

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Nonbaka posted:

Uh oh he doesn't hate her, he's just disappointed that's like a million times worse.
Haha, I know, right? "I'm not angry, just disappointed," is the Dad-est thing.

Oh no! A Dad face! The Dad-est face!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like someone told him to treat his daughter like any other student, probably because he was visibly fretting about it and overthinking it, and then Tony overthought the advice and is treating Annie exactly like a student who hosed up, right down to pretending she has no business asking about his hand.

He's still a terrible father.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
maybe she's being transferred to another class or house, that's why she doesn't have a book for this class and why anyone sane at all assigned Tony to teach the class with his daughter in it.

which is why we got to learn about Jack Hyland's proxy girlfriend and more about how the Court sources students

the titular tree comes into play when Tony contrives some non-obvious way for Annie to remain in regular contact with her bestie (in some typically indirect way exhibiting idiomatic apple/treeesque natures), which may or may not additionally involve the simulator room tree around which Annie and Kat just affirmed their forever-friendship

ronya fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 27, 2015

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

At least Kat looks sad rather than angry. That's something, right?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Busted! I was wondering when the cheating would come up again

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ronya posted:

maybe she's being transferred to another class or house, that's why she doesn't have a book for this class and why anyone sane at all assigned Tony to teach the class with his daughter in it.

which is why we got to learn about Jack Hyland's proxy girlfriend and more about how the Court sources students

the titular tree comes into play when Tony contrives some non-obvious way for Annie to remain in regular contact with her bestie (in some typically indirect way exhibiting idiomatic apple/treeesque natures), which may or may not additionally involve the simulator room tree around which Annie and Kat just affirmed their forever-friendship

That actually makes a lot of sense. It would be a great direction if Annie gets transfered to another part of town this year. She has grown kind of comfy with her usual gang. Getting thrown into a totally new situation where she doesn't know anybody might play out fine, since she had quite some emptional growth since the last time that happened.

Or she gets thrown into the new enviroment, acts cold, disinterested and unemotional. This turns everyone new away from her since they think she is just like her father. "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

JT Jag posted:

He would have compared several of the two's papers and found that their answers were reliably identical, even the rare wrong one, which would be enough for him.
Oh hey

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
And the moment when Annie needs Kat the most, she will broken away from her.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

pumpinglemma posted:

At least Kat looks sad rather than angry. That's something, right?

Everyone is Very Disappointed with Antimony.

"You've let the school down, you've let your friends down, you've let your father down and, most of all... you've let yourself down."

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
So given that this is literally his first day of teaching, and he already knows that she's cheating, does this mean the headmaster (or someone else) brought him back specifically for her? "..it was discovered.." and all.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

pik_d posted:

So given that this is literally his first day of teaching, and he already knows that she's cheating, does this mean the headmaster (or someone else) brought him back specifically for her? "..it was discovered.." and all.

Headmaster: "... And so, frankly, I can't see what else to do but expel her from the Court."

Anthony: "No. That won't be necessary. Let ME deal with her."

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Well again, bring him back from where? Nobody has ever been able to find the dude, even after trying. It's more likely he got in touch with them for some reason. Which brings us back to....why?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Despite the horrible pain it causes him, Anthony is cold and harsh with Annie, knowing that it's the only alternative to seeing her expelled.

Anthony Carver truly is the Best Dad.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ANTHONY YOU ASSH-

Actually he's being reasonable on this page.

:smith:

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Regy Rusty posted:

ANTHONY YOU ASSH-

Actually he's being reasonable on this page.

:smith:

After being absent from your daughter for literally years it's not reasonable to lecture them about schoolwork before anything else. That's kind of hosed up, actually.

ETA: And this is having not shown anything else toward her beyond coldness and a very obvious disdain. Not even a glimmer of parental affection.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
Who better to notice her cheating... than Jones in disguise!?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I would like to note that we never heard what exactly did Anthony say to Antimony in the message in Microsat 5. Maybe all this makes more sense when you know what was said there. Kat's dad told Annie to write it down, rather then say it.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Well, that's two of the longest-standing Chekov's guns now fired in this chapter. Now if we can learn how Surma and Tony got together, and maybe uhh Ysengrin gets his memory back, then we can wrap this whole comic up in a tidy chapter or two :madmax:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kikas posted:

I would like to note that we never heard what exactly did Anthony say to Antimony in the message in Microsat 5. Maybe all this makes more sense when you know what was said there. Kat's dad told Annie to write it down, rather then say it.

I think the idea is that it was some nonsense cipher.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Maybe learning of her cheating caused his fist to become permanently clenched, and they had to amputate it. :(

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

how long has the cheating thing been going on anyway

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rei_ posted:

how long has the cheating thing been going on anyway

It gets brought up in Fire Spike, but I'm certain we see her cheating before then. So pretty much the whole time.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The cheating's kind of a huge deal considering that Annie's been apparently doing it for literally every course that's not biology or history. :stare:

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Lurdiak posted:

It gets brought up in Fire Spike, but I'm certain we see her cheating before then. So pretty much the whole time.

First time we see her do it was in Chapter 17, so yeah quite a while.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's interesting to consider, though. Annie's dealing in matters of life and death and existence, and her life expectancy is like 35. Should she really be taking classes on math? Education can be seen as self-enrichment, but at the high school level, it really isn't.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lurdiak posted:

Education can be seen as self-enrichment, but at the high school level, it really isn't.

Jesus christ.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

you're going to die young so we aren't going to waste school resources on you

That... actually sounds like something the Court would say. Also it's horrifying wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

YF-23 posted:

Jesus christ.

Is that controversial? High school education is too broad and shallow to be really helpful to most, it essentially only prepares you for college/dropping out and getting a job. It's a pretty clumsy system.