Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Khizan posted:

Modesitt has this weird thing going where I'm pretty sure that I'd willingly read a 500+ page book about some dude doing nothing but making barrels or or chairs or horseshoes, but I'd be completely unable to tell you why I bothered to do it at the end of it.

This is literally me and his last 14 books in the Recluce series.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anyone here a fan of David Eddings?

I'm a fairly big fan but my buddy actually took the time to make a replica of bhelliom, so he's way more of an Eddings nerd than me.

I think he's got a video on youtube about it.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Drifter posted:

I read and enjoy the gently caress out of a lot of books where the main criticism seems to be 'this book didn't exposit the gently caress out of itself for me right at the beginning' and many times I can't help but think "well, gently caress you reader, why don't you learn how to read better?"

I realize that's an unfair sentiment to take, but I do feel like world-building is the best when it's done through pieces and characters rather than three back-to-back chapters of being force-fed stuff.

It is an entirely appropriate sentiment.
People like that are either colossal RPG nerds that needs to know everything before or have no loving patience.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Going back to Eddings is painful for me now but I'm definitely grateful to him (and his wife, I guess) for getting me into the genre when I was 12.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Looking for some dystopian and/or post/apocalypse scifi. Been on a bit of a movie kick of that lately- from the Purge to the Running Man to Escape from New York, Equilibrium, so I'm looking for something more on the action side of the house. Recently read through the Darwin Elevator series, which is basically a summer popcorn flick in book form. Would like to avoid the weirdo, mary sue prepper, anti-government what-if fantasy wanking that I imagine makes up most this genre.

The current humble book bundle is post-apocalypse themed: https://www.humblebundle.com/books

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Khizan posted:

Modesitt has this weird thing going where I'm pretty sure that I'd willingly read a 500+ page book about some dude doing nothing but making barrels or or chairs or horseshoes, but I'd be completely unable to tell you why I bothered to do it at the end of it.

I'm not sure why I love it but man I love his books. Though I've never read anything outside of his Recluse series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SmokinDan posted:

Going back to Eddings is painful for me now but I'm definitely grateful to him (and his wife, I guess) for getting me into the genre when I was 12.

I can only really read his Belgariad novels anymore. I do enjoy his writing and his sense of humor, but I felt like everything after that run was just a retread of old ground. Except for Guardians of the West. That book was loving hilarious when it was covering Garion's country management skills.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Cardiac posted:

So I just finished City of Stairs, based on the glowing recommendations in this thread.
It was competently written with a good story but I was expecting something a little bit more innovative than playing on the normal fantasy tropes.
Regardless, it was a good read.

I actually stopped reading like 60-70% through because it wasn't doing anything for me. I had no interest in the protagonist and the world building felt too satisfied with itself for my taste.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Just want to recommend two books I recently finished.

I mentioned it earlier, but Wolf in White Van, while neither sci-fi nor fantasy strictly, would probably appeal to most of you. It's short (200s pages ish) and awesome writing. Generally it's about A guy who experienced physical trauma as a teenager and now runs a play by mail rpg game company. What really got my attention was the back blurbs, written by neat weirdos like John Hodgman, Joseph Fink, and Austin Grossman.

The other was the inspiration for the hilarious show "Man Seeking Woman" and it's short stories about love, but really weird funny ones It's called The Last Girlfriend on Earth

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nevvy Z posted:

What really got my attention was the back blurbs, written by neat weirdos like John Hodgman, Joseph Fink, and Austin Grossman.

I'm actually very put off if I read back blurbs by authors. The quality of a book is such a crapshoot if I go by that. Unless they specifically say the book cured their significant other or child of cancer, they're either just being nice to the person or their publisher has forced them.

If I see a blurb written by Neil Gaiman I especially go out of my way to not read the book (I spend more time checking out other reviews and skimming through it myself).

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Drifter posted:

I'm actually very put off if I read back blurbs by authors. The quality of a book is such a crapshoot if I go by that. Unless they specifically say the book cured their significant other or child of cancer, they're either just being nice to the person or their publisher has forced them.

If I see a blurb written by Neil Gaiman I especially go out of my way to not read the book (I spend more time checking out other reviews and skimming through it myself).

I don't follow. Authors really won't blurb unless they like a book! Their publisher often can't coerce them because the book they're blurbing is from a different publisher, and just as often they don't know the author they're blurbing at all. Sure, some blurbs are pro forma, but as far as I can tell most of them are genuine. If they don't like a book they can just say 'sorry, I'm busy!'

There is one line of connection to be suspicious of, I guess - whoever's sending the book out for blurbs probably has connections to the people receiving it. But I don't understand your mistrust!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just thought it was a neat array of people. The author is a singer/songwriter/lyricist so I dunno what the connection might be.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

General Battuta posted:

I don't follow. Authors really won't blurb unless they like a book!

This is absolutely true. Authors get a LOT of ARCs, so much so that they literally cannot read most of them and still hope to have time to do their own writing. If you see a blurb by another author, you can be 99.9% sure they honestly liked that book.

The disconnect a lot of people seem to have is that just because you like what a given author writes, you won't necessarily enjoy the same books as them.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Drifter posted:

I kind of have your experience with blurbs but I think there's two factors to consider here:
- Gaiman might be the top example of a genre or style that you don't like unless it's specifically written by Gaiman
- While you might love Gaiman's work, you may not share his taste in literature at all.

And this is why I use this thread and goodreads to decide what to read instead! I mean blurbs are like covers, they're there just to get you interested in the book when it's in the bookshop. If you have a big name like Gaiman in there, it - I suspect - helps out an unknown writer immensely. And good for them!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I trust you all more than blurbs.

You're blurbs+.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nevvy Z posted:

I mentioned it earlier, but Wolf in White Van, while neither sci-fi nor fantasy strictly, would probably appeal to most of you. It's short (200s pages ish) and awesome writing. Generally it's about A guy who experienced physical trauma as a teenager and now runs a play by mail rpg game company. What really got my attention was the back blurbs, written by neat weirdos like John Hodgman, Joseph Fink, and Austin Grossman.

WiWV is a good book and people should read it, but I don't think it's even peripherally within this thread's remit. Might be more at home in the Lit-rah-chooor thread.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I guess an interesting addendum to this discussion is that (I'm told) blurbs don't really do anything unless they're from a major public figure.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

General Battuta posted:

I guess an interesting addendum to this discussion is that (I'm told) blurbs don't really do anything unless they're from a major public figure.

Q score.

I've seen blurbs that reference basic amazon reviews. :psyduck:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What is an ARC? Advance Review Copy?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

What is an ARC? Advance Review Copy?

yeah. Sometimes it's not completely edited or will still have changes made before actual publication.

It's usually a mostly done version of the book.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anyone here a fan of David Eddings?

He was my entry into reading fantasy in the early 90s, I think they are a great starter especially for teenagers (as I was).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Khizan posted:

Balance, man.

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

Burned through Three-Body Problem in an evening, really good. Read All You Need is Kill earlier in the year and found it enjoyable as well. I wonder how much other non western sci fi fantasy is out there that I'm missing.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Crashbee posted:

The current humble book bundle is post-apocalypse themed: https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Thanks for this. Never done humble bundle before but I'll check this out. Interested in opinions on any gems or avoids in this.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Khizan posted:

I'm with you on these. The Imager books are really enjoyable too. The first 3 are kinda reclusey but the next 4 are really rather epic and seem to matter much more to the history of the world.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

RndmCnflct posted:

Burned through Three-Body Problem in an evening, really good.

Since this seems to be the current hotness in this thread, probably worth mentioning it's going for a measly £1.79 on amazon.co.uk at the moment.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Junkenstein posted:

Since this seems to be the current hotness in this thread, probably worth mentioning it's going for a measly £1.79 on amazon.co.uk at the moment.
Do they still get mad if you lie about your region to buy things? Because they won't let me purchase it.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Luckily, I live in the UK. Hopefully it makes the BOTM for April.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Do they still get mad if you lie about your region to buy things? Because they won't let me purchase it.

I'm not sure how it works with books to be honest. I have no trouble buying game keys from amazon.com from the UK with a credit card and a random US hotel as my billing address. It might be different if you're using what you're buying on an amazon provided service though.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's the same price (in $) on Amazon US

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Change the address in your kindle settings to 10 Downing Street long enough to buy and download, then change it back.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
The address-changy thing isn't working for me, I am less smart than a Kindle. I'll just recall it from the library and wait two weeks. Relatedly, the library has a 1987 translation of Solaris. Is that a decent rendition?

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

RndmCnflct posted:

Burned through Three-Body Problem in an evening, really good. Read All You Need is Kill earlier in the year and found it enjoyable as well. I wonder how much other non western sci fi fantasy is out there that I'm missing.

You might be interested in the Apex fantasy and sci-fi short-story collections then, they're pretty good and focus exclusively on non-Western authors.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Apex-Book-World-SF-ebook/dp/B002YQ2X2G/ref=pd_cp_kstore_1

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

less laughter posted:

It's the same price (in $) on Amazon US

I see $12.99 :confused: For Kindle edition, anyway (do people still buy physical books???). Link?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I started reading Low Town by Daniel Polansky today and, man, it's really good so far. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9755449-low-town?from_search=true It's been out a few years already, don't know how it escaped my attention all that time, this is the low-magic, dark type fantasy I like the best.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Are there any decent fantasy or sci fi books about castaways and such? Dudes abandoned on desert islands/planets and stuff like that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Martian is the most obvious recent example. Jules Verne's The Mysterious Island is the classic. You're probably aware of both of these.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Megazver posted:

The Martian is the most obvious recent example. Jules Verne's The Mysterious Island is the classic. You're probably aware of both of these.

Aye, read those.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

ravenkult posted:

Are there any decent fantasy or sci fi books about castaways and such? Dudes abandoned on desert islands/planets and stuff like that.

Clark Ashton Smith 's Marooned in Andromeda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Anyone read anything by Mindee Arnett? I saw a couple of her books at the local bookstore and wondering if they're worth the read.