Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Nckdictator posted:

Speaking of railroading does anyone else think that damaging the tracks is going to cause a accident in a future episode? Also, I'm noticing some of the choices were saying people Helped Alyssa When/where was that, what did they need help with?

Wasn't that just helping her not get a toilet paper roll hucked at her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Nckdictator posted:

Speaking of railroading does anyone else think that damaging the tracks is going to cause a accident in a future episode? Also, I'm noticing some of the choices were saying people Helped Alyssa When/where was that, what did they need help with?

It happens in the dorm hallway when you leave your room, you were probably too busy looking at everything on your end of the hall to even know it had happened (like me)

People posted:

Bottles

On the one hand, yeah it was a bad filler thing. On the other hand, I've been examining pretty much every single examinable object this entire game, so it was something to do when I would have been running around the whole place for nothing but dialogue otherwise.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I hope every episode with Alyssa something gets chucked at her and you have to help her move out of the way

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I would have been fine with the bottles as just being an opportunity to explore a large area and look at cool stuff except I couldn't find the campfire for the life of me and ran around in circles endlessly until I looked it up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The campfire was weirdly completely hidden out of the way.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Oblivion4568238 posted:

It happens in the dorm hallway when you leave your room, you were probably too busy looking at everything on your end of the hall to even know it had happened (like me)

Ah, yeah,that's what happened.

Also, I had to look up where the bonfire was also, that bottle hunt was not fun. And then the doe ran off before I could take a picture

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nckdictator posted:

Ah, yeah,that's what happened.

Also, I had to look up where the bonfire was also, that bottle hunt was not fun. And then the doe ran off before I could take a picture

You didn't miss anything. ;)

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I haven't played any episodic games till' I played Dreamfall Chapters so I don't really have experience of the genre and how well it's generally handled. Each of the episodes gave me a "Oh poo poo how soon is it going to end?" -feeling which I haven't had in ages while playing games.

Am I the only one who was concerned in episode 1 about letting a bird in the bedroom considering the window was closed originally? Could cause some minor family drama/suspicions who has been in the room.

I liked that your perception helped with Kate, seeing the letter from his dad. There were pictures of her sisters and her together so that could've probably worked well, as well? Jefferson actually moving around in the class room and sitting on top of the desks to keep the attention of the students really reminds me of my high school religion/class teacher that was assigned to our class. Really makes me long for lecturers/teachers with actual pedagogic proficiency since I'm studying in a university now and they generally don't have any where I come from. :sigh:

The roof scene was really intense. I was so, so glad Kate didn't off herself in my play. I really felt logically wrong about telling Kate to go to the police because the Prescotts etc. own the town, but it all felt really wrong as well to tell her to keep hush hush about it, it almost felt like I was allowing rape culture. gently caress being scared of some rich kid, the police isn't necessarily in their pocket, right (ha...ha). I chose her to go to the police, which I feel is going to bite me in the rear end.

Madsen is a huge rear end in a top hat and abusing girls physically, but I feel he's probably misguided/scared out of his wits for some reason and has generally good in the mind. I really hope Jefferson won't turn out to be a crook or having affairs with his students. Wonder if the game will have the guts for not showing him not be a complete and unforgivable evildoer in all respects even if he's involved himself with some student in the past - condemnable deed but the person/deed can be nuanced. I just hope there's at least one trustworthy adult in the game Max can trust. Did I already say he reminds me of an old teacher of mine? Because he's set up as "a trustworthy" guy on the outside, I bet putting trust in him will turn out to be a bad choice. That would almost hurt me personally. Also, holy poo poo something is wrong the way he made Kate cry.

I'm not 100% convinced Kate couldn't be involved with some shady poo poo. She seems to be too easy to ignore in that respect.

I didn't tell Alyssa to move this time because it's going to start appearing a little too conspicuous being able to warn her each time and I feel that might actually hurt us in the future.

I really hope we get to meet Rachel soon in some way. I'm almost imagining some sort of scene where Max suddenly realizes she's in the past in her body because there has to be some connection there and someone was theorizing they might be more closely connected than we think.

I feel that Chloe is an rear end in a top hat. I mean, 10 seconds to answer a phone is a problem? Shooting poo poo with bullets ricocheting? Seriously? What if one of them had hit Max in the head? Game over.

edit: That picture in Episode 1 of Chloe with a bong is probably the same one Frank is holding

Dessel fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 27, 2015

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Really liking this so far.

I wonder if Victoria crying at the end was because maybe she actually felt bad about almost getting a classmate killed. Probably not.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Dezztroy posted:

Really liking this so far.

I wonder if Victoria crying at the end was because maybe she actually felt bad about almost getting a classmate killed. Probably not.

I feel like there's got to be more to her than just being a rich bitch. Her friends seem to indicate as much. Not saying she isn't a jerk, but she's not on Nathan's level.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Karnegal posted:

I feel like there's got to be more to her than just being a rich bitch. Her friends seem to indicate as much. Not saying she isn't a jerk, but she's not on Nathan's level.

Yeah. At the beginning of the game I instantly regretted being nice to her in episode 1. But then by the end of chapter 2, I was too loving pissed off at Nathan to be very mad at Victoria. And then when he comes into the room while she's in there crying, looking super creepy himself, I was like okay something is hosed up here.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I think David in some weird way is actually trying to help Chole find Rachel, which is why he's so adamant about security footage and putting pressure on the Vortex Club. Interestingly enough, the epilogue scene of him getting emotional happens even if you save Kate/don't blame him. That scene probably brought back bad memories from his combat time.

As for Warren, for now I think he's just being too much of a try-hard to get Max to like him than actually being malicious, but I do hope eventually Max can tell him to lay off a bit, regardless of how she feels about him. She does admit he's pretty cute after you help him with the science experiment, but I wouldn't say she's admitted to actually liking him.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 27, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

What happens to Jefferson if you blame him? Is his epilogue scene (talking to Principal Wells from his car before driving away) away different?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm thinking Rachel is that old homeless woman behind the diner with the unusually deep conversation tree.

Think about it, if Max can retain memories when she travels back in time then her body is ageing faster than normal. Rachel had the power too and was trying to stop something horrible happening (probs the hurricane), but was unable to and is now stuck infinitely looping through the same couple of weeks over and over like a hosed up version of Groundhog Day and slowly dying of old age.

Would be willing to bet the 'original' timeline had Max, Chloe and Rachel all being friends - hence the graffiti on the wall of the clubhouse saying all three were there.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 27, 2015

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm thinking Rachel is that old homeless woman behind the diner with the unusually deep conversation tree.

Think about it, if Max can retain memories when she travels back in time then her body is ageing faster than normal. Rachel had the power too and was trying to stop something horrible happening (probs the hurricane), but was unable to and is now stuck infinitely looping through the same couple of weeks over and over like a hosed up version of Groundhog Day and slowly dying of old age.

Would be willing to bet the 'original' timeline had Max, Chloe and Rachel all being friends - hence the graffiti on the wall of the clubhouse saying all three were there.

Wait You get the option to put that there as Max, also it doesn't seem to follow since Max moved away years ago and neither of them remember Rachael from childhood. The time travel would have to be really messy to accommodate that since Chloe does have memories of Rachael.

As the the larger theory It's an interesting idea, but why be super cryptic then? She seemed together enough that I have a hard time thinking her mind is so gone she can't identify herself as Rachael. I'm more inclined to believe she fits into the Native American thing going on in the background. I'm more trying to figure out what is up with the creepy janitor.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Karnegal posted:

Wait You get the option to put that there as Max, also it doesn't seem to follow since Max moved away years ago and neither of them remember Rachael from childhood. The time travel would have to be really messy to accommodate that since Chloe does have memories of Rachael.

I'm thinking it's less a concrete part of the plot and more a hint. Anyway, if Rachael was a Blackwell student a year older than Max then she could have befriended Chloe and then 'vanished' before Max returned.

quote:

As the the larger theory It's an interesting idea, but why be super cryptic then? She seemed together enough that I have a hard time thinking her mind is so gone she can't identify herself as Rachael. I'm more inclined to believe she fits into the Native American thing going on in the background. I'm more trying to figure out what is up with the creepy janitor.

And maybe Rachael realised that loving with time, even with the best intentions, leads to bad things happening. That's the standard moral of a time travel story anyway.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm thinking it's less a concrete part of the plot and more a hint. Anyway, if Rachael was a Blackwell student a year older than Max then she could have befriended Chloe and then 'vanished' before Max returned.

I guess I still don't follow how all three would have been friends prior to Rachael using her powers. Rachael has been missing for months before Max got there, and it seems like, if you're buying into the Rachel had the power theory (which seems like a strong possibility), she was using them in the previous school year - hence why everyone has a positive memory of her that seems like a different person.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Karnegal posted:

I guess I still don't follow how all three would have been friends prior to Rachael using her powers. Rachael has been missing for months before Max got there, and it seems like, if you're buying into the Rachel had the power theory (which seems like a strong possibility), she was using them in the previous school year - hence why everyone has a positive memory of her that seems like a different person.

I'm thinking Rachael was originally around for the events we're playing through, but subsequently rewound time to a point before Max returned to Arcadia Bay (and then promptly vanished).

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Oh hey, something I think most of us missed.

loving Warren!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

loving Warren!

Dudes probably has an SA account.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I don't think Rachel had any sort of powers to be honest. She is probably at the center of the plot in some way, but I think she was more just in a wrong place at the wrong time and got in over her head. I wouldn't be surprised if she never shows up beyond being mentioned. She's probably dead. Possibly an accidental death?

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Holy poo poo! That's pretty creepy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol What a creeper, I'm glad I cock blocked him at every opportunity.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

D_W posted:

I don't think Rachel had any sort of powers to be honest. She is probably at the center of the plot in some way, but I think she was more just in a wrong place at the wrong time and got in over her head. I wouldn't be surprised if she never shows up beyond being mentioned. She's probably dead. Possibly an accidental death?

I don't know if this was unique to the "Kate Dies" playthrough, but I got a little stinger at the end of the episode that showed the red binder with Rachel's name again, followed by someone's hands working on a new binder for Kate, with photos of her. I think Rachel's dead.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Max posted:

I don't know if this was unique to the "Kate Dies" playthrough, but I got a little stinger at the end of the episode that showed the red binder with Rachel's name again, followed by someone's hands working on a new binder for Kate, with photos of her. I think Rachel's dead.

They are in every version of the ending I think. I assume they are David Masden's binders that he seems to keep on many of the women at Blackwell. (edit: nope totally wrong on this)

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 27, 2015

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Rosalind posted:

They are in every version of the ending I think. I assume they are David Masden's binders that he seems to keep on many of the women at Blackwell.

His files are in green folders in the garage of his home, so I don't think they are his. I think we're supposed to infer that someone who knows what's going on / responsible for Rachel owns that red binder.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

PunkBoy posted:

As for Warren, for now I think he's just being too much of a try-hard to get Max to like him than actually being malicious, but I do hope eventually Max can tell him to lay off a bit, regardless of how she feels about him. She does admit he's pretty cute after you help him with the science experiment, but I wouldn't say she's admitted to actually liking him.

Brooke seems really into him, and seems to resent Max a bit as a result. I hope Max can pawn him off on her and get rid of that jealousy, 'cause my strat thus far has been straight out of Mean Girls: befriend everyone and slowly poison them against the popular girl.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Reclaimer posted:

Brooke seems really into him, and seems to resent Max a bit as a result. I hope Max can pawn him off on her and get rid of that jealousy, 'cause my strat thus far has been straight out of Mean Girls: befriend everyone and slowly poison them against the popular girl.

I honestly wanted the option to tell Brooke to go help Warren in the science lab so that could eventually happen.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Max posted:

His files are in green folders in the garage of his home, so I don't think they are his. I think we're supposed to infer that someone who knows what's going on / responsible for Rachel owns that red binder.

poo poo you're right.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

Dudes probably has an SA account.

Probably permabanned already.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Call the cops on Granos Warren.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Ahahaha, jfc Warren. I know you're crazy for the girl, but you're taking the crazy waaaay too far.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I missed that and that instantly elevates him from well meaning but awkward as hell nerd to outright creepy fedora tipping goonlord. Not going to movie night now.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Does he just stay there an leer or is he walking by?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Presumably he just sticks around there until you run into him on your way out. Thus his excuse of "Oh, I was making a phone call but uh....it's done." Weird as hell, but I don't know if I would call him a fedora wearing goonlord just yet. He's pretty drat close though. (Watch next episode you find him posting on not-E/N complaining how the girl he likes doesn't appreciate him.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Max suddenly needs something printing and doesn't know who else to ask.....

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, I missed that and that instantly elevates him from well meaning but awkward as hell nerd to outright creepy fedora tipping goonlord. Not going to movie night now.

Look, all he does is stare into girl's windows and ask them if they want to watch Cannibal Holocaust. Let me tell you, when I think 'date movie' I think a animal snuff film.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Nckdictator posted:

Look, all he does is stare into girl's windows and ask them if they want to watch Cannibal Holocaust. Let me tell you, when I think 'date movie' I think a animal snuff film.
Cannibal Holocaust is art, I don't know what you're talking about.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Next episode he'll appear outside your dorm carrying a printer.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

As much as I hate wild, speculative guessing in mysteries like this,

Evan does fit the bill as a creepy dude with red binders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Wait a second I just had a total flash of brilliance. Binders? Labeled with different women? Oh my god you guys it's totally Mitt Romney!

• Locked thread