Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

YF19pilot posted:

If you can compartmentalize, and turn off the emotions and focus on the data required to put everything together, it can be a rather fun and exciting career, so I was told back in college. It's still fun to talk about, but outside of a room full of other av-nerds, you get weird stares when you start talking about "your favorite crash." Probably like how law students get weird looks when they start talking about their favorite murders, academically.

At first I was like :wtc: no law students I know had favourite murders then I remembered a bunch of us loudly discussing different rape cases in the public uni library as part of a major case study in criminal law, we didn't even notice the people looking at us funny until a few hours had passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Saga posted:

Trannies and gentlegoons, the War on Depression has now begun. Depression's act of savage aggression against 3 Americans must not go unanswered.

The invasion of Belize is therefore scheduled for 2017. No, we don't know what Belize has to do with depression either, but we have two years to think of something.

As someone who has had very poor strandings in Belize, gently caress that country.
My fellow Americans, I have signed into law today a bill which will outlaw Belize forever. The bombs fall in ten minutes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you are an NTSB investigator, I imagine most of your time is spent on single-person private plane crashes that end up being pilot error.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

The 180th fighter wing out of Toledo is exercising their Vipers today, and they're in and out of Detroit airspace all day. My neighborhood's forum lit the gently caress up this morning because people were scared of the loud airplanes "After everything that's been in the news". Goddamned panicky white people. On the other hand, me and the kid are gonna spend the rest of the day on the lookout for low-flying Vipers.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smackfu posted:

If you are an NTSB investigator, I imagine most of your time is spent on single-person private plane crashes that end up being pilot error.

I would imagine so, along with cargo planes. Still I wonder if headlining one like that is still consider more advanced then being part of a part of a massive complex crash?

Also does NTSB ever play a part in Military aircraft accidents?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Sanguine posted:

Also, wow. They tried to kickstart it.

Someone even chipped in $500 :canada:

Clear cockpit! :wow:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gfanikf posted:

I would imagine so, along with cargo planes. Still I wonder if headlining one like that is still consider more advanced then being part of a part of a massive complex crash?

Also does NTSB ever play a part in Military aircraft accidents?

The NTSB is actually much smaller than you think it is. Small non commercial accidents and incidents are generally investigated by local authorities or the FAA and reported to the NTSB which publishes the reports. For major commercial incidents the NTSB has its own investigators, and they can be called in as consultants if necessary.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

hobbesmaster posted:

The NTSB is actually much smaller than you think it is. Small non commercial accidents and incidents are generally investigated by local authorities or the FAA and reported to the NTSB which publishes the reports. For major commercial incidents the NTSB has its own investigators, and they can be called in as consultants if necessary.

They pretty much get called in to consult whenever it's an American made aircraft that has a major incident, don't they?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Almost every incident where something like this has happened, the person who crashed (or intended to crash) the plane never 'showed their hand.' They're walking time bombs, and they don't tick.

Just an aside, though - hopefully if there's one good thing that will come of this, it'll be airlines being forced to stop running their pilots ragged, forcing them to get too little sleep in substandard hotels so they can meet unrealistic schedules and keep up their quotas. One in a million pilots might consider doing this, but the harder you push someone, the more likely it is they're going to break - maybe not go homicidal, but you don't want someone deciding to lock up and become a danger to himself and others at FL380.

And forcing pilots to go through a 'loose screw check' every six months is just another inconvenience and places additional stress on them. If you've been having a lovely few months, you're going to tell the corporate (or FAA) shrink everything's fine, because you know if you tell him that you think your wife's cheating on you, or your kid has leukemia, he's going to report that (since doctor/patient privilege likely won't apply), and you're going to be suspended, likely with a pay cut, at the *worst possible time*. It'd be far more effective to ensure pilots have adequate vacation and 'off' time so they can - for lack of a better word - 'decompress' every so often, but with that, the blame kind of lays with the consumer who *demands* affordable air travel.

Do you have *any* evidence whatsoever that any of what you describe had the slightest thing to do with this enormity?

Because until you do, you're just jumping to conclusions and doing things that might make things worse. Safety is complicated, especially when you're trying to minimize the risk of fantastically unlikely events. On 9/11, nutbags forced their way into the cockpit of four planes, took control, and flew them into large solid objects. So hey, we implement, without a whole lot of thought about how fantastically unlikely that sort of thing is, secure cockpit doors to make it impossible for people to break into the cockpit. And lo, we contribute to another fantastically unlikely event that kills a bunch of people because this time the nutbag was already in the cockpit from the beginning.

Maybe on balance secure locking doors is a good idea, 9/11 certainly wasn't the first time that someone forced their way into the cockpit and killed the crew. But ihis isn't first pilot who decided to take the enter passenger manifest into the ground with him, either. Until you understand what happened, Doing Something to prevent that thing from happening again is fraught with peril.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

They pretty much get called in to consult whenever it's an American made aircraft that has a major incident, don't they?

I think they're required to report on accidents on US soil and accidents involving US planes and carriers but I'm not 100% on that one.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

YF19pilot posted:

If you can compartmentalize, and turn off the emotions and focus on the data required to put everything together, it can be a rather fun and exciting career, so I was told back in college. It's still fun to talk about, but outside of a room full of other av-nerds, you get weird stares when you start talking about "your favorite crash." Probably like how law students get weird looks when they start talking about their favorite murders, academically.

Flight safety is really cool. It does require a certain kind of person, though.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I know it's a few pages late but this 727 moved into the airport I live next door to recently. They've been circuit bashing today so it reminded me to post. I tried to get video but iphone and hanging out of the back bedroom window don't make for great footage :negative:

It's absolutely loving gorgeous.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

monkeytennis posted:

I know it's a few pages late but this 727 moved into the airport I live next door to recently. They've been circuit bashing today so it reminded me to post. I tried to get video but iphone and hanging out of the back bedroom window don't make for great footage :negative:

The Vulcan in the foreground is better.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Yeah, framing the 727 with the Vulcan was pretty aces. Speaking of Vulcans (and the NTSB), I'm working on a Detroit history project, and got to talk a little about my favorite crash in my manuscript.

Mayday! The Crash of XA908

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Who the gently caress takes a picture of a 727 when they're STANDING NEXT TO A VULCAN?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I dunno, he says he lives next to the airport. The Vulcan lives there. Maybe he's all Vulcaned out? :shrug:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

monkeytennis posted:

"oil spill response "....
3x JT8Ds....

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

The 180th fighter wing out of Toledo is exercising their Vipers today, and they're in and out of Detroit airspace all day. My neighborhood's forum lit the gently caress up this morning because people were scared of the loud airplanes "After everything that's been in the news". Goddamned panicky white people. On the other hand, me and the kid are gonna spend the rest of the day on the lookout for low-flying Vipers.

Your neighborhood has a forum?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Colonial Air Force posted:

Your neighborhood has a forum?

This isn't an unusual thing.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I didn't take that photo goons, but I do have some pics of XH558 as you can go and have a look around it for a small charge.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This isn't an unusual thing.

Do you live in Goonistan?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Lawl, yes my neighborhood has a forum. A lot of neighborhoods around here do. Facebook pages and groupme groups, too. It's super handy as a neighborhood info clearinghouse and lets us organize stuff like block parties or group yard sales. Things like that.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

monkeytennis posted:

I didn't take that photo goons, but I do have some pics of XH558 as you can go and have a look around it for a small charge.

Do they let you go aboard?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lawl, yes my neighborhood has a forum. A lot of neighborhoods around here do. Facebook pages and groupme groups, too. It's super handy as a neighborhood info clearinghouse and lets us organize stuff like block parties or group yard sales. Things like that.

Neighborhoods where people talk to each other weird me out.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Spaced God posted:

As someone who has had very poor strandings in Belize, gently caress that country.
My fellow Americans, I have signed into law today a bill which will outlaw Belize forever. The bombs fall in ten minutes.

Watch Spaced God start a loving war.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Neighborhoods where people talk to each other weird me out.

:goonsay:

That's what neighborhoods are for, though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:goonsay:

That's what neighborhoods are for, though.

Essentially all of South Florida would like to have a word with you.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

I think they're required to report on accidents on US soil and accidents involving US planes and carriers but I'm not 100% on that one.

My understanding is that if the airlines is based in the US or the aircraft, aeronautics or engine manufacturer is based in the US, the NTSB gets involved automatically. I think there are times they'll join up in special circumstances as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Solkanar512 posted:

My understanding is that if the airlines is based in the US or the aircraft, aeronautics or engine manufacturer is based in the US, the NTSB gets involved automatically. I think there are times they'll join up in special circumstances as well.

I think it's up to the country where the accident took place. The regulatory body where the crash happened probably has ultimate authority. I mean, USUALLY you would want the NTSB involved because usually everyone wants to get to the bottom of an accident. But then you have occasions like Aerolinee Itavia Flight 870. It was a DC-9 but the NTSB had no involvement in the investigation because Italian officials didn't seem interested in solving the crash until civilian pressure became too high. Hell, it took them 14 years to recover a significant portion of the debris.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 27, 2015

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Do they let you go aboard?

No but you can get underneath and all around it. They had the bay doors etc open last time I went, you could see the guts and into the cockpit. It's so cool.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Saga posted:

As someone that had family live there for many years, Belize really is a 3rd world poo poo hole though.

What are the odds that A320 broke Mach on that express descent?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Saga posted:

Nah, craters and destruction would probably increase the land value. Speaking of which, there's always ads running on the TV here about buying property in Belize because there's "No crime" and land values are low as poo poo.
I spend 90 seconds flipping off the TV.

slidebite posted:

As someone that had family live there for many years, Belize really is a 3rd world poo poo hole though.

See, he agrees with me! :thumbsup:
Average descent rate was only 17 m/s. I dunno how fast laterally they were going, but it probably couldn't have been more than the cruise speed or the overspeed of the airframe if he programmed the autopilot (which the plane's ADS-B shows he did).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Overspeed? Possible. Break Mach? Basically nil.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

Zero unless he exited normal law somehow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Reason I ask is I understood it was a pretty steep descent but somehow they know he throttled up at the same time.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

slidebite posted:

Reason I ask is I understood it was a pretty steep descent but somehow they know he throttled up at the same time.

As I understood it he just increased the vertical speed and the media misinterpreted this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That would make sense and totally unsurprising.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

Is there anything public better than the ADS-B data from flight aware?

Also theres something kinda disturbing just going to that link and looking at the plot.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

smackfu posted:

One of my ex-girlfriends worked for the NTSB, and basically all the plane crashes they investigated were in Alaska.

She did road safety stuff though.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

About zero. The bus has flight envelope protections that would first reduce thrust, then increase pitch to avoid exceeding Vmo/Mmo.

Edit: poo poo. Left that window open too long.