Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nm posted:

This why I like film. The odds of unintended internet :dong:s go way down.
This would be at a school, so intentional internet dongs are a likelihood too.

You'd think that disposable 35mm cameras on the tables at a wedding would be dong-free, too.

You'd be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

spog posted:

You'd think that disposable 35mm cameras on the tables at a wedding would be dong-free, too.

You'd be surprised.

There's actually a probability curve you can plot for pictures of dongs on those using "length of time open bar is provided"

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

spog posted:

You'd be surprised.

Haha who thought those would be dong free? I bet there is at least one dong and one half assed upskirt shot on each camera.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

spog posted:

You'd be surprised.

I said unintended. Those dongs are intended and they don't go on the internet on accident.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

I think you're not saving the settings profile for your phone - my wpa code doesn't change each time. I have a profile for my phone, my iPad, and joining my home wifi for the laptop.

Yeah same here. All I do now is just connect my phone to my camera's wifi and it works. Granted it's not the most user friendly thing to set up initially, but once you figure it out, it's easy.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Same with my Sony rx100 m2.

Once you set up the camera, as long as you have a device with NFC the image transfer is really simple. You can find the image you want to share in your camera, tap your phone to the bottom of the camera, and the image transfer for that image happens automatically. Its pretty simple but you still need a separate phone/device to make it happen.

I would say that if someone really just wants something to take photos and go instantly to social media, you're probably going to sacrifice image/camera quality for convenience. A smart phone or smart camera would probably be the most ideal situation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OK before I put people into a rage, I know cheap filters are generally garbage. However, I've got a trip coming up and beyond a Hoya UV that was given to me (I wouldn't have bought it, don't worry), I don't have any and I'm about to leave the damp and dreary shores of the UK for Mexico for two weeks where I'm led to believe the weather is slightly better*.

So I thought a CPL would be a good purchase, I had one for my old camcorders but they're a 37mm thread so no point even trying to find where I put that. I just bought my body (D7200) and of course I have 5 lenses that have no threading in common. But! my favourite (and probably best) is my 35mm 1.8 that has a 52mm thread, and I have a 50mm prime with the same fit and I'm guessing I'll leave one of those two on my camera for the most amount of time.

So I just want to pick up something cheap for now, before maybe investing in a better one down the line when I've sorted my lenses out and have some step downs etc. The two I spotted online that meet a cheapskate budget and seem well liked are:

Polaroid CPL - £11.99

and

K&F Concept 52mm Filter Kit

Yes, I know - the idea of paying ~$20 for a set of filters, a lens hood and other crap sounds like it should end up in the junk pile, but does anyone have any feedback on using their stuff? The Amazon user base (who I don't trust to be honest) thinks it's fabulous, and hell I could do with most of the things in the kit just so I don't have to hunt down the bits I do have already in my house somewhere, and if I lose/break it all on the trip it's a $20 set. Also it has an ND filter, which I'm guessing would be pretty useful while out there.

Or should I just not bother at all? I tend to like messing with the sky values in lightroom but I'm hoping to get some nice water shots and obviously can't do that in post.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

EL BROMANCE posted:

OK before I put people into a rage, I know cheap filters are generally garbage. However, I've got a trip coming up and beyond a Hoya UV that was given to me (I wouldn't have bought it, don't worry), I don't have any and I'm about to leave the damp and dreary shores of the UK for Mexico for two weeks where I'm led to believe the weather is slightly better*.

So I thought a CPL would be a good purchase, I had one for my old camcorders but they're a 37mm thread so no point even trying to find where I put that. I just bought my body (D7200) and of course I have 5 lenses that have no threading in common. But! my favourite (and probably best) is my 35mm 1.8 that has a 52mm thread, and I have a 50mm prime with the same fit and I'm guessing I'll leave one of those two on my camera for the most amount of time.

So I just want to pick up something cheap for now, before maybe investing in a better one down the line when I've sorted my lenses out and have some step downs etc. The two I spotted online that meet a cheapskate budget and seem well liked are:

Polaroid CPL - £11.99

and

Yes, I know - the idea of paying ~$20 for a set of filters, a lens hood and other crap sounds like it should end up in the junk pile, but does anyone have any feedback on using their stuff? The Amazon user base (who I don't trust to be honest) thinks it's fabulous, and hell I could do with most of the things in the kit just so I don't have to hunt down the bits I do have already in my house somewhere, and if I lose/break it all on the trip it's a $20 set. Also it has an ND filter, which I'm guessing would be pretty useful while out there.

Or should I just not bother at all? I tend to like messing with the sky values in lightroom but I'm hoping to get some nice water shots and obviously can't do that in post.

If you're that budget limited, buy the cheap CPL and shoot some test shots. If it hurts as badly as it might, return/resell it. If it's OK, use it. CPLs are very useful, as a rule. The ND is likely to suck so bad you'll never use it. A bad ND will have horrible color cast issues.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cheers, that's making me want to plump for the Polaroid one a bit more just because they're a known quantity (who aren't the same polaroid as before and who mainly make junk tablets now... but still!). I get worried when I look at a load of reviews and none of them seem particularly technical, nobody mentions any camera body that's more than basic and you get 5* ratings from people because the product turned up quickly.

e: just to make things easier I hope, I just spotted a Hoya kit of another UV, an ND and a CPL. I'm presuming the CPL is the same one they charge £25 for, so all 3 and the pouch for £20 seems a pretty good price. Plus I can probably find something else down the line to fill the space of the UV one too!

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Speaking of ND filters, does anyone have a recommendation for an ND4 and ND400 77mm thread that is semi decent and won't break the bank? I guess if I had to have a budget it'd be $50 or under for either, but a bit cheaper is fine so long as they're usable

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EL BROMANCE posted:

Polaroid CPL - £11.99

and

I'd look on the used market. I don't know the UK, but I can get some fairly cheap high quality filters for not that much more than those cost in 52mm.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, the second hand market in the UK is quite sparse... there's MPB and the AV Forums and that's all I know of. Nothing on either at the moment, MPB has a 58mm version of the Hoya Pro-1 for about half the retail price which isn't bad, but I have one lens that's natively 58mm (a really basic one I don't use much), so seems a bit pointless. Reading the reviews of that little Hoya kit make it sound like it's worth my money at least.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Speaking of filters, I ordered a cokin ND kit and a 67mm adapter from a big online store. They sent me the kit, but instead of the cheap adapter, I found a cokin 67mm pure harmonie cpl in the package. SCORE!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Canon currently has a cashback campaign where if you buy the EOS 5D III and EF-S 60mm macro lens you get aprox $100 back. Not really sure why they are pairing a full frame camera with a crop lens...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

Canon currently has a cashback campaign where if you buy the EOS 5D III and EF-S 60mm macro lens you get aprox $100 back. Not really sure why they are pairing a full frame camera with a crop lens...

Panasonic still owes me £100 cashback for a body I bought in loving december.

And this is after Amazon gave me £100 out of their own pocket, because Panasonic's website only credited me with £100, instead of the £200 advertised.

gently caress panasonic, bunch of cheats.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

spog posted:

Panasonic still owes me £100 cashback for a body I bought in loving december.

And this is after Amazon gave me £100 out of their own pocket, because Panasonic's website only credited me with £100, instead of the £200 advertised.

gently caress panasonic, bunch of cheats.

And here I would have thought the UK would have crazy good laws for preventing rebate shenanigans and delays. Learn something new every day

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

timrenzi574 posted:

And here I would have thought the UK would have crazy good laws for preventing rebate shenanigans and delays. Learn something new every day

Haha no. Most places in the UK will try and pretend the 2 year warranty you get as being part of the EU doesn't exist, and gently caress all our cell phone carriers. Thieving scumbags the lot of them.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

EL BROMANCE posted:

and gently caress all our cell phone carriers. Thieving scumbags the lot of them.
Compared to US telecoms your cell carriers are loving saints.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

8th-snype posted:

Consumer protection in the US = 'you're not allowed to force customers to give you prima nocta rights' and that's about it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

8th-snype posted:

I had a 2 year battle with O2 that was entirely their fault, which they even admitted, that hosed over my credit history and had me on the phone with them for hours and hours and hours (one 50 minute call where I had to go up the chain and repeat my entire story 4 times). It was an absolute nightmare, and I could write paragraphs over how inept they were. And this was on a $100/mo loan contract which is pretty expensive for here, not a lovely cheap deal.

T-Mobile decided that even though I 100% cancelled my contact because I was buying an iPhone that day and they didn't carry it at the time, and said I might call for a PAC then didn't, meant I actually didn't want to cancel my contract at all. I didn't have internet banking at the time and I got ~$100 back off the $300 they took from me.

Vodafone haven't been as bad, but they stripped me of my 25% discount despite promising me I wouldn't so I had to go through that process again, and lost money due to it. Oh and one day someone rang them up, failed DPA tests but was still able to get my phone disconnected because they asked them. They gave me no explanation as to why, and the only reason I knew something was up was because I have two accounts with them (work and personal) and one phone had signal while the other didn't.

So yeah, gently caress UK carriers - id rather deal with Comcast!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'd rather deal with Comcast!

This is the opinion of someone whom has never dealt with comcast.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

So yeah, gently caress UK carriers - id rather deal with Comcast!

Comcast legit charged me 100$ for 'extra outlet installation ' for putting a ten cent coax splitter on a line in my house

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

timrenzi574 posted:

Comcast legit charged me 100$ for 'extra outlet installation ' for putting a ten cent coax splitter on a line in my house

I once asked a non official cable forum if I could make use of my second outlet that was installed in my apartment without getting constant 'insert card' notices everytime I changed channels. All I got was the free OTA channels and I didn't want to pay more than my $100 cable bill for a legit box with channels I didn't need in my bedroom. People lost their mind as if I was going to run them out of business.

Sorry for the derails, but at least we can agree that all these companies, regardless of our location, can loving do one.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I filed a rebate with tamron and got my money back in like, 2 weeks.

Tamron owns.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

I once asked a non official cable forum if I could make use of my second outlet that was installed in my apartment without getting constant 'insert card' notices everytime I changed channels. All I got was the free OTA channels and I didn't want to pay more than my $100 cable bill for a legit box with channels I didn't need in my bedroom. People lost their mind as if I was going to run them out of business.

Sorry for the derails, but at least we can agree that all these companies, regardless of our location, can loving do one.

Oh that's even better - the white knight customers online who feel the need to defend gigantic corporations against their nefarious customers. Anytime anyone talks about returning a camera on dpr, 500 people come out of the woodwork to talk about how they are putting amazon out of business and acting like a criminal.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

timrenzi574 posted:

Oh that's even better - the white knight customers online who feel the need to defend gigantic corporations against their nefarious customers. Anytime anyone talks about returning a camera on dpr, 500 people come out of the woodwork to talk about how they are putting amazon out of business and acting like a criminal.

This is the thread - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=250437 , incredible the lengths people will go to defend corporations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Finally got hold of someone who confirmd that it will be paid today.

After 5pm.

Which puts it in a new tax year. What an odd coincidence.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here uses a Sigma 12-24mm on a fullframe camera? Do you end up using the ultra-wide end of the lens often? I'm trying to decide whether I want a Sigma 12-24mm/4.5-5.6 II, or go for a Canon 16-35mm for the 2.8 aperture.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone here uses a Sigma 12-24mm on a fullframe camera? Do you end up using the ultra-wide end of the lens often? I'm trying to decide whether I want a Sigma 12-24mm/4.5-5.6 II, or go for a Canon 16-35mm for the 2.8 aperture.

IQ will be better on the Canon, but do you need 2.8 on such a wide lens?

Canon has their new 11-24 if you hate money, too. Personally, I'd go for the Canon but maybe the f/4 version. Been thinking about picking one up for a bit.

Maybe rent the 16 (or try it out in a shop) and see of you think it is wide enough. 12 is crazy wide.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Large aperture only for low light situations. The main intent for the lens is urban exploration. Sometimes trying to use a tripod is impractical, that's why the larger aperture. The lens would be mounted on an A7II, but its IBIS can only do so much. I've read about the Nikon 14-24mm, and I'm currently eyeing eBay for a potentially cheap option. But the adapter and likely necessary tripod collar cost more than I'd like.

Right now I have a 14mm and a 24mm both from Samyang. 24mm is generally versatile enough, but sometimes going wider would help framing stuff in crooked positions. Swapping lenses is getting annoying on a whim, tho, and is eventually going to cake my sensor in dust. Thus the desire for an ultrawide zoom.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Combat Pretzel posted:

Large aperture only for low light situations. The main intent for the lens is urban exploration. Sometimes trying to use a tripod is impractical, that's why the larger aperture. The lens would be mounted on an A7II, but its IBIS can only do so much. I've read about the Nikon 14-24mm, and I'm currently eyeing eBay for a potentially cheap option. But the adapter and likely necessary tripod collar cost more than I'd like.

Right now I have a 14mm and a 24mm both from Samyang. 24mm is generally versatile enough, but sometimes going wider would help framing stuff in crooked positions. Swapping lenses is getting annoying on a whim, tho, and is eventually going to cake my sensor in dust. Thus the desire for an ultrawide zoom.

I use a 10-24mm f/4 on aps-c and it's never left me wanting for f/2.8 (Fuji's OIS is good for about 3 stops under most conditions). Until I bought this I hated zooms and I hated slow zooms even more.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
According to reviews the Canon 16-35 F/4 L IS has better image quality (sharper, very much so outside the center of the frame) than the 16-35 F2.8 L II and is a lot cheaper.

I too am on the market for a UWA, and am unable to decide between Canons 11-24 which is obscenely expensive or the 16-35 F/4 IS which is much more affordable but only goes to 16 (insert goes to 11 joke here). The 16-35 will also have a lot of overlap with my 24-70 F2.8 in a focal lenght i take very few photos in. On my 24-70 I am mostly using 24mm and wishing i could go wider or the 50mm range, looking in Lightroom i have very few photos in the 25mm-45mm range. I don't have experience with UWAs so it is difficult to judge how much wider 16mm will be than 24mm, it could be all i need for what i know. Looking at comparison pictures in reviews only gets me so far.

Is there any practical uses for the 11-15mm range that the 11-24 lens would give over the 16-35? My wide angle usage is landscaping, particularly night time photos of the star-lit sky while showing landscape.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Anyone ever bought a light tent? I want to do some product photography and am not really sure if I should buy extra big to be safe, or if there are any advantages (aside from not taking up too much room) to buying just big enough. Also, hotlights? I only have a single speedlight and it's currently overseas.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I had version 1 of the Sigma 12-24. It's very much a one-trick pony, I think the Canon 16-35 is probably more useful unless you absolutely need 12mm. Although I probably wouldn't even buy the Canon, I found 24mm was usually fine for me on FF (that's more my shooting style though).

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Those of you looking at UWA lenses for interiors or landscapes should also consider a 17mm or 24mm tilt-shift.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Tilt-shift sounds interesting if it allows me to fake shallow DOF with the wide angle (the sorta the miniature effect at close range).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna post this here as it was probably the right thread in the first place

mobby_6kl posted:

The PO or someone (probably me) smacked around my Tamron 17-50 and as a result the plastic ring around the front element developed a crack, sometimes causing one side of it to pop out.

I took off the decorative cover exposing the screws that hold the ring so actually replacing it shouldn't be a problem, but I wasn't able to find a replacement part. Does anyone know what exactly should I be searching for, or better yet, where can it be bought cheaply?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

http://lensbaby.com/usa/velvet56.php

Artistic tool or gimmicky spherical aberration?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Most of the examples they show look like poorly executed gimmicky photoshop effects

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LENS BABY sounds like the kind of name associated with a cellphone photo filter, not a $500 macro lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

404notfound posted:

http://lensbaby.com/usa/velvet56.php

Artistic tool or gimmicky spherical aberration?

here, I'll save you a bunch of money. buy the ugly grade 50 1.8 here and then apply this. if you want to macro it, take it off and flip it around