Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Press escape, select rewind, pick the shotgun instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hotline Kavkaz is the game all the Russians are playing in HLM2.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Third floor of Stronghold. How the hell do I beat this? I have the big machine gun with me, ten bullets. Two fat fucks who can only be killed by a hail of bullets patrol the level. Each one appears to take five bullets each. So I have to flawlessly take each one out without missing or misusing a single bullet? Fuuuuuck you.

Been playing this single goddamn floor for over an hour.

Fatties only take one bullet to kill if you shoot them and let them bleed out

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Press escape, select rewind, pick the shotgun instead.

this. also the knife is the answer to stronghold.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I think the fact they give you ammo reloads for your guns in the Soldier levels gives people the impression that the gun is what they should be using as a primary weapon, whereas the key to dominating those levels is to just use the knife as much as possible unless the situation really demands it.

Until you get the flamethrower anyway because that thing owns bones

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

Fatties only take one bullet to kill if you shoot them and let them bleed out

Dude, thank you so much. That made it possible.

Weirdly enough, I know a ton of people who struggled with the power plant level. The sniper rifle made it much easier than I was dreading, thankfully.

Though I'm a bit confused about the story... The reddits and wikipedia are telling me that the guy beard rescued was jacket from the first game. Um.... was I somehow supposed to catch that? Because I definitely have no idea how people made that connection. is it in a later chapter?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Narcissus1916 posted:

Weirdly enough, I know a ton of people who struggled with the power plant level. The sniper rifle made it much easier than I was dreading, thankfully.

Though I'm a bit confused about the story... The reddits and wikipedia are telling me that the guy beard rescued was jacket from the first game. Um.... was I somehow supposed to catch that? Because I definitely have no idea how people made that connection. is it in a later chapter?

He looks just like Jacket.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Well at the end of hotline miami 1, Jacket burns a photograph that is the same as the one Beard gives the guy he rescues. Additionally, they look the same, have the same habit of constantly smoking and both never talk.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Narcissus1916 posted:

You get given a Polaroid. Beard is talking to the guy he saved about the Polaroid and if he can have a copy sent to him.

At the end of Hotline Miami you see Jacket look at a Polaroid and throw it away. Plus Beard is the guy you see all the time despite him being dead

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Beekeeping and You posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-X2oAzd9os here's a fullplay of the game with no commentary, i think

basically, jesus christ

I tried to make an avatar from the putin portrait, alas it's still 17 KB too big even after I got it as small as I could without making it look like total rear end :(

original big version:

the smallest I managed to get:

e: GOT IT

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hotline Kevkaz: Do you want will tell you how much I poo poo in the sea?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Do you want I gently caress your mouth.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vlad the Retailer posted:

DON'T WORRY ABOUT PAYING, IT'S ON THE HOUSE!

Ty

And that loving russian knockoff, what in the hell

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So everyone here is going to buy Bloodbath Kavkaz, RIGHT?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Of course.

Super late to Hotline Miami 2 plot discussion but I didn't really understand this.

So there were atleast three nukes? The two at the ending hitting Miami and Hawaii but for some reason Beard dies in a separate nuke that happens before Hotline Miami happened? That's really weird thing to add. Was it ever mentioned in the games that Hawaii got nuked before? It's a pretty important detail to this setting

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They should have called it Bloodbath Khlav Kalash

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Of course.

Super late to Hotline Miami 2 plot discussion but I didn't really understand this.

So there were atleast three nukes? The two at the ending hitting Miami and Hawaii but for some reason Beard dies in a separate nuke that happens before Hotline Miami happened? That's really weird thing to add. Was it ever mentioned in the games that Hawaii got nuked before? It's a pretty important detail to this setting

It wasnt Hawaii, it was San Fransisco, apparently you can find newspapers that talk about. It was Russia, and US and Russia later came to a peace treaty.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just let the door do the work for you.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Waggling a door is an old P.I. trick.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

King Vidiot posted:

Only a great and heroic detective like Detective Pardo would think of such a brilliant technique. Constant door slamming. Imagine if we had the mask from HM1 that made doors instakills.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Of course.

The timeline is this:

Russia and the US go to war, with Russia invading Hawaii. This is where Beard, Jacket, and the rest are stationed. Their last mission is a suicide mission to take down a power plant, where Beard saves Jacket and the other two presumably die. They get sent back home, Jacket goes to Miami and Beard goes to San Fran to open his shop. SF is then nuked by Russia which ends the war, and establishes the Russo-American coalition. This is the group that 50 Blessings, which seems to be started by Beard and Jacket's SO from Hawaii, are determined to take down.

Cut to later and at the end of the game 50 Blessings kills both the US president and the leader of Russia at the same time, off screen. We learn about this on the TV Richter is watching with his mom in Hawaii (the title screen says it's in Miami, but I think that's probably a mistake, as it looks way more like the Hawaii levels than those in Miami, and that's where he said he was going with his mom). In retaliation Russia launches it's nukes at the US, and we see Miami destroyed, and the US retaliates against them by doing the same, and we see Hawaii (probably under Russian control now, hence being where Richter went to hide out) destroyed. What also probably happened that we don't see but is implied is that everywhere else is also destroyed by nukes due to mutually assured destruction.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

:golfclap:

I can't wait for some bad Dexter-related levels.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The idea that Jacket hallucinated Beard because they were old war buddies is admittedly very cool. I'm still not sure how people leaped to the conclusion that the blonde kid you rescue was jacket, as that's some mighty subtle connection-linking. Was I supposed to have a moment where I go "Aha! That's the guy from Hotline Miami 1!"?

I'm also eager to go back to Hotline Miami 1 after finishing this up, largely to see if the "bait the enemy" AI works just as well in that game as it does in this one.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
All hail Pardo, the best detective of all Miami.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ycknAkYug

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

The idea that Jacket hallucinated Beard because they were old war buddies is admittedly very cool. I'm still not sure how people leaped to the conclusion that the blonde kid you rescue was jacket, as that's some mighty subtle connection-linking. Was I supposed to have a moment where I go "Aha! That's the guy from Hotline Miami 1!"?

I'm also eager to go back to Hotline Miami 1 after finishing this up, largely to see if the "bait the enemy" AI works just as well in that game as it does in this one.

When Beard was shown in SF right before the nuke goes off he was talking to someone on the phone about wanting a photograph (the only photograph mentioned in the game, which was also taken in an earlier mission by Evan the journalist). That person, after Beard dies, goes on a crazy rampage culminating in them setting said picture on fire.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It seems like a really big jump, given that Jacket's defining feature is a highschool letterman jacket. I figured from that and his bachelor pad that he was late teens, not a grizzled Hawaiian war vet from an elite commando strike force.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Narcissus1916 posted:

The guy on trial at the beginning of the game has the same sprite as the guy in hawaii.

Also it's worth playing through hotline miami again because now certain elements make way more sense.

I'm not sure if they had this planned or if they just wrote HM2 around the first game but there's some pretty cool things.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

I didn't pick up on it either, but Beard also comments to Jacket after saving him - "it's on the house" which is a line that is told by the Beard hallucinations in HM1.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Narcissus1916 posted:

Payday 2 also claims that Jacket is ex-military and Jakes says that a lot of people involved with 50 Blessings are former military.

E: Jake also looks a heck of a lot like one of the Hawaii commandos but that guy didn't make it out of the power plant.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 27, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxyclean posted:

I didn't pick up on it either, but Beard also comments to Jacket after saving him - "it's on the house" which is a line that is told by the Beard hallucinations in HM1.

The job he tells his outfit he wants to do is also the first job you see him doing in HLM. Which is impossible, since he's dead.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Basically, in short, nothing outright says that's Jacket, you're supposed to pick it up through context clues and having played the first game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

moths posted:

It seems like a really big jump, given that Jacket's defining feature is a highschool letterman jacket. I figured from that and his bachelor pad that he was late teens, not a grizzled Hawaiian war vet from an elite commando strike force.

I guess you'd be absolutely shocked to find out that a lot of people in their late teens join the military, or that people keep poo poo around from their high-school days.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Improbable Lobster posted:

E: Jake also looks a heck of a lot like one of the Hawaii commandos but that guy didn't make it out of the power plant.

I still think that's Jake, he just took a different route out of the power plant, though that makes the title 'casualties' a little ambiguous.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Their eyes are different colors (green versus grey iirc) and he's missing the scar, he can't be him.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fat Ghost Wolf dude is a teacher; jake works (worked) in a scrapyard, if we're assuming the comic's to be trusted

even if we're not, holy poo poo can you imagine jake as a teacher

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

fat Ghost Wolf dude is a teacher; jake works (worked) in a scrapyard, if we're assuming the comic's to be trusted

even if we're not, holy poo poo can you imagine jake as a teacher

Nunchaku classes for extra credit

"No they aren't 'nunchucks', get the hell out of here"

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Nunchucks Nunchaku 101 and Goon-Fu: A Beginner's Course could be very useful in the world of Hotline Miami

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Fat Ghost Wolves character survives the events of HM1- he's visible watching the news in a bar in the first comic.

I don't think it's necessarily the case that Evan was also the journalist in Hawaii.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Was San Francisco getting nuked mentioned anywhere in Hotline Miami 1? It's quite an interesting bit of alternate history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DoubleCakes posted:

Was San Francisco getting nuked mentioned anywhere in Hotline Miami 1? It's quite an interesting bit of alternate history.

All there is is, in one of the interstitials, Beard says "this gives me a bad feeling, like right before San Francisco", or something to that effect.

• Locked thread