Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Old Boot posted:

People poo poo on the mytharc, but it'd honestly feel like bullshit if the 2012 date wasn't addressed. And this is speaking as someone who generally preferred MOTW eps over the mythology ones during the run of the series. I want that part of the story tied up, and it'd be preferable if Doggett and Reyes both showed up with more meat to work with so their arcs don't feel completely hollow.

I realize I'm probably more alone in that opinion, but, welp.

Couldn't they just have the 6 episodes take place before 2012?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
Hmm...

quote:

You must have the basic arc worked out in your head already.
Chris Carter: I do, actually. I know what I want to do, how I want it to lay out—the balance of mythology to stand-alone episodes. Even though none of us have had contracts, I’ve only had one since yesterday, the people that are going to be involved have been talking since the beginning of the year, so we have a clear idea of how this should be, or the best way we think this should be laid out.

Perhaps he is implying there will be mythology and MOTW episodes? I think this would be the best way to approach it. Either way, I'm very very excited for this.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

They better put him in :colbert:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's like the closest thing to a third regular character! Him and the photos of Bill Clinton and Janet Reno.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I rewatched season one a couple years ago and it was so fun. Few shows really make me feel nostalgic anymore but the XFiles still manages to do that. And now I have an excuse to make my kids watch it for the first time. I know a lot of people disliked the movies, especially the second one, but I even enjoyed those.

strangeneighbor
Feb 13, 2014
So now confirmed to be returning to the writers room are:

Chris Carter
Glen Morgan & James Wong
Darin Morgan

Yep. Confirmed. How crazy is this. And apparently they're trying hard to get Spotnitz back.

Other news:There will be both mythology and monster of the week episodes. Mark Snow will be scoring. They will shoot in Vancouver. Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish might be back if there's room in their schedules.

This feels like a dream. If they can get Vince Gilligan, too, then I'll know this is too good to be true.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Vancouver?! That makes it worth watching, forget everything else.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
Can we just have six Darin Morgan episodes?

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

strangeneighbor posted:

Chris Carter
Glen Morgan & James Wong
Darin Morgan

Yep. Confirmed. How crazy is this. And apparently they're trying hard to get Spotnitz back.

Other news:There will be both mythology and monster of the week episodes. Mark Snow will be scoring. They will shoot in Vancouver. Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish might be back if there's room in their schedules.

This feels like a dream. If they can get Vince Gilligan, too, then I'll know this is too good to be true.

This is all fantastic news (minus Annabeth Gish potentially reprising her role), do you have a link? In that Daily Beast article, Carter implies there will be a mix of mythology and MOTW episodes, but I can't find anything confirmed about the Morgans and Wong signing on as writers, or shooting in Vancouver. Mark Snow is pretty much a lock as composer, anybody else would be sacrilege

strangeneighbor
Feb 13, 2014

Exploder posted:

This is all fantastic news (minus Annabeth Gish potentially reprising her role), do you have a link? In that Daily Beast article, Carter implies there will be a mix of mythology and MOTW episodes, but I can't find anything confirmed about the Morgans and Wong signing on as writers, or shooting in Vancouver. Mark Snow is pretty much a lock as composer, anybody else would be sacrilege

I know it's hard to believe. But it's true. (And agree about Gish, that's the only one I could do without.)

Here's the Carter interview I got those from: http://xfilesnews.com/index.php/xfiles-news/latest-news/1566-xfn-exclusive-chris-carter-on-xfilesrevival

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

strangeneighbor posted:

Chris Carter
Glen Morgan & James Wong
Darin Morgan

goddamn

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

strangeneighbor posted:

Glen Morgan & James Wong
This is great news, as long as it segues into the Space Above and Beyond reboot that I and probably nobody else have been rooting for.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This is all for naught of Pileggi doesn't return.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Skinner was retired in the last movie right?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

Skinner was retired in the last movie right?

Men like Skinner never truly retire. They just...wait.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Basebf555 posted:

Men like Skinner never truly retire. They just...wait.

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
I finished going through season 1 recently, and have just gotten started with the second. Although a potted viewing of the show means that I know the new status quo at the beginning of season 2 won't last for too long, I am enjoying them playing around with that aspect of the format, and seeing Skinner in his early, more formal days.

I think it's interesting how Scully started off as the character the audience were to associate with most (the pilot and lots of early-mid season 1 episodes start with her doing something, and focus more on her personal life) but by the time you get to season 2 it's flipped over the Mulder. Sadly the abundance of synth music dried up by the end of the first season. I quite like this track, which I last remember hearing in Fallen Angel (and many, many times in the show's second episode).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Veeta posted:

I think it's interesting how Scully started off as the character the audience were to associate with most (the pilot and lots of early-mid season 1 episodes start with her doing something, and focus more on her personal life) but by the time you get to season 2 it's flipped over the Mulder. Sadly the abundance of synth music dried up by the end of the first season. I quite like this track, which I last remember hearing in Fallen Angel (and many, many times in the show's second episode).

That is slightly due to her getting pregnant and having to take time off and being unable to do a lot of the stuff she normally would do.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

That is slightly due to her getting pregnant and having to take time off and being unable to do a lot of the stuff she normally would do.

I've always wondered how different the whole mythology could have ended up had she not been pregnant during that time. Its during that break where she initially gets abducted and is implanted with the alien device, leading to pretty much everything that would come later. Maybe that was always the basic plan, it was just accelerated because of the pregnancy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I've always wondered how different the whole mythology could have ended up had she not been pregnant during that time. Its during that break where she initially gets abducted and is implanted with the alien device, leading to pretty much everything that would come later. Maybe that was always the basic plan, it was just accelerated because of the pregnancy.

Lets not forget that it was due to her pregnancy Krycek was introduced.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Casting updates:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Smoking Man should be a head in a jar or something equally ridiculous.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Honestly, I'm more jazzed about CSM being back, as much as Skinner (and Doggett/Reyes to a lesser extent) would be nice to have back. I know CSM is dead or whatever but still. He was always in the best myth episodes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Most importantly, will Jack Black reprise his role.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Most importantly, will Jack Black reprise his role.

As what a fried corpse?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Basebf555 posted:

or a reanimated corpse would be p. sweet

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
This is such amazing news and I can't wait. Now if only Chris Carter could do the same with Millennium...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

This is such amazing news and I can't wait. Now if only Chris Carter could do the same with Millennium...

When Chris Carter touched Millennium again it turned to poo poo. Then they tried to end it with an x-files episode that was complete horseshit.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

bobkatt013 posted:

When Chris Carter touched Millennium again it turned to poo poo. Then they tried to end it with an x-files episode that was complete horseshit.

Awww, it has been so long since I've seen Millennium I forgot about that. I'm rewatching season 1 now and I still love the atmosphere and Frank Black.

I wonder if Krycek's ghost will show up in the new X-Files episodes. Or The Lone Gunmen...

Now I'm just being silly and wishing for stuff that will never happen

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

Awww, it has been so long since I've seen Millennium I forgot about that. I'm rewatching season 1 now and I still love the atmosphere and Frank Black.

I wonder if Krycek's ghost will show up in the new X-Files episodes.

Season 2 is still the best season and the finale of that season was amazing.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I never knew this existed, but has anyone read the Season 10 comics? Apparently it picks it up after the events of the second feature film. Is it worth picking up?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm sure combining the suckiness of a licensed comic book with shittiness of latter season X-Files is a surefire recipe for success.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

I wonder if Krycek's ghost will show up in the new X-Files episodes. Or The Lone Gunmen...

Now I'm just being silly and wishing for stuff that will never happen

Dude got shot in the head. If CSM can be resurrected as many as times as he was, I don't see why Krycek couldn't be.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Octy posted:

Dude got shot in the head. If CSM can be resurrected as many as times as he was, I don't see why Krycek couldn't be.

Yea but it was that "he's deader than loving dead" bullet POV angle where you see the bullet travel directly into his skull, followed by an extended close-up of his dead eyes. In T.V. language that's about as dead as it gets.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Didn't Smoking Man get, like, literally blown up by helicopter rockets?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Timby posted:

Didn't Smoking Man get, like, literally blown up by helicopter rockets?

Yup. I'm guessing either flashback, clone, or flash-forward and/or accelerated aging shenanigans and William B Davis actually plays old-Spender.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but it was that "he's deader than loving dead" bullet POV angle where you see the bullet travel directly into his skull, followed by an extended close-up of his dead eyes. In T.V. language that's about as dead as it gets.

There's still flashbacks, clones, ghosts, evil robot clones, alternate universes, amnesiac zombie cyborgs, etc. See also: comic books

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
There's also, you know, straight-up retcons.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The alien invasion was canceled due to budget cutbacks on Spleniac 9 or whereever the aliens are from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

pahuyuth posted:

I never knew this existed, but has anyone read the Season 10 comics? Apparently it picks it up after the events of the second feature film. Is it worth picking up?

Yeah, I've been keeping up with it and it's been alright. I don't know how much involvement Chris Carter had besides putting his name on it, but it's not entirely awful as an official fan-fiction continuation from the show. I actually wonder if they'll use any of the material from the comics, since those already went out of the way to re-establish Mulder and Scully at the FBI and another alien conspiracy.

• Locked thread