Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

quote:

Misc: Info views panel added to the Escape chain so the last Escape press will close the info views now

Ahhh the ESC change is going to be GREAT! :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Does this game not do traffic signals or stop signs? For my first city, I've started out with a pretty typical small American-style town with a number of gridded two-way streets, and the four-way intersections don't appear to have any traffic control. It's just a free-for-all of passing through, turning, and merging.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Supraluminal posted:

Does this game not do traffic signals or stop signs? For my first city, I've started out with a pretty typical small American-style town with a number of gridded two-way streets, and the four-way intersections don't appear to have any traffic control. It's just a free-for-all of passing through, turning, and merging.

Watch the first little bit of this video and you'll see what roads create traffic lights/stops and which do not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1yNaa83I2E

Feel free to skip the video to 1 minutes where he starts.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Supraluminal posted:

Two-lanes by themselves won't create stops, anything bigger than that will, except freeway sections. Which leads to a lot of roundabouts made of freeway so that they work like they should in reality.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Taking the lessons I've learned from my first city and remembering the fact that water towers exist, my Zion map is an amazing city and is really enjoyable to play. Making subways, rail, and road lines curving around cliffs is sweet. I even made mountain monasteries in a few places that could only be accessed by the marathon-length ring of pedestrian paths that weave through the map. Hovers around 15% commuter usage and every street is an efficient 2-lane road with little to no backups anywhere. Thanks to Whoever suggested the map and the advice that 2 lane roads in this game are OP.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

As a kid who followed ants around the sidewalks this game is my heroin

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

*stops suddenly to let someone into the roundabout*

I grew up near a small city that had the only roundabout in the entire, very rural, region. It freaked everyone out, and hilariously operated by its own rules. Somehow drivers decided to always let someone into the roundabout, so it become convention that traffic simply alternated.

If you were trying to get in, you'd let a car pass, then the next car would let you in. It worked pretty well really but was confusing for anyone out of town. They changed it to a proper roundabout a few years ago, makes me a bit sad.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

beerinator posted:

Watch the first little bit of this video and you'll see what roads create traffic lights/stops and which do not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1yNaa83I2E

Feel free to skip the video to 1 minutes where he starts.

Interesting. Is he right about multi-lane roundabouts at the end there? Do cars only use the outermost lane since they need to get into it to turn off? What if you have multi-lane one-way exits, do those let cars turn off a roundabout from an inner lane?

I wonder if the devs have any plans to make traffic smarter about lane usage. It seems like it should be possible to get them to go around blockages, especially. Probably more complicated than it looks, but I'm sure it could be done.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

There's so much great content already and this game has hardly been out.

I can't wait to see how ridiculous this gets.

trees: http://steamcommunity.com/id/shroomblaze/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

gun store (functions as police): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413928079

yoshinoya: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414283315

HORMELCHILI fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 27, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HORMELCHILI posted:

I can't wait to see how ridiculous this gets.

I can't wait until people start hitting texture limits on their video card or some obscure Unity blowup because there's too many assets to load.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I think for my next attempted city I'm going to try and use nothing but one way streets

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That is loving amazing, your cims are actually using all the lanes available to them!

I constantly see traffic piling up on 6-lane streets because the bastards all want to make a right turn. Even if it isn't the same right turn, they still use only the single lane, including emergency vehicles. In Sheffield Park you have a busy 6 lane turning left into another 6 lane, and it flows so smoothly. On the other hand at the bottom of Coltan Row you have them lining up on the right, that's what I'm used to.

I don't understand why it works differently.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Deki posted:

For some reason all of the maps/assets/mods/etc that I didn't make myself are missing in game, though the content manager still shows them all under the steam workshop tab. Can't use my main city since I used custom coal plants and don't have the money to replace them.

Yeah all my saved cities are broken after the latest patch.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When did the patch drop? I haven't played since last night so hoping I missed it and the roll back.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Question: How hard is it to make your own custom map? I see these other cool maps being built off of real geography and just wondered if it was hard or fairly simple.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

When did the patch drop? I haven't played since last night so hoping I missed it and the roll back.

It came out about 5ish hours back. They've rolled back the patch and if it hasn't happened automatically you can choose patch 1.06b from the steam beta list.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh geez I just updated and loaded a city full of abandoned buildings. I had to replace all the small parks and community pools to raise land values again. Nice to see it wasn't only me. :ohdear: oddly enough my population didn't plummet and I'm still making the same amount. :psyduck:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 27, 2015

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Supraluminal posted:

Interesting. Is he right about multi-lane roundabouts at the end there? Do cars only use the outermost lane since they need to get into it to turn off? What if you have multi-lane one-way exits, do those let cars turn off a roundabout from an inner lane?

I wonder if the devs have any plans to make traffic smarter about lane usage. It seems like it should be possible to get them to go around blockages, especially. Probably more complicated than it looks, but I'm sure it could be done.

Not sure precisely. Cars are aware of an "exit" lane and will avoid that lane if they don't intend to exit, so I believe cars will use the inside lanes briefly if they don't want the next exit. I don't think I've ever seen cars distribute themselves across a multilane exit.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Started a new city, trying to make a city where people can walk everywhere and the AI is doing a good job of choosing the walkways instead of driving everywhere.

I set up the walkways to take people from door-to-door (residential > commercial > industrial). They run like spines along major areas of the city.

Example:

Traffic:

Blown up shot:

I haven't even added in bus lines yet because I haven't had a need to. Most people just walk everywhere, I have even noticed that some of my citizens work on one part of town and will walk across the river to work on the other side.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Sylink posted:

Thats the bora bora map, I like it as well, but you should try reclaiming some land. You can't on one side where the water sources come out of the ocean so I have to try building around them still.

:aaaaa: I didn't even realize you could do that. THIS. CHANGES. EVERYTHING!!!!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Enigma89 posted:

Started a new city, trying to make a city where people can walk everywhere and the AI is doing a good job of choosing the walkways instead of driving everywhere.

I set up the walkways to take people from door-to-door (residential > commercial > industrial). They run like spines along major areas of the city.

Example:

Traffic:

Blown up shot:

I haven't even added in bus lines yet because I haven't had a need to. Most people just walk everywhere, I have even noticed that some of my citizens work on one part of town and will walk across the river to work on the other side.

Peds will walk on sidewalks just fine too. I'm not sure all the elevated walkways actually get people to walk more. I think you could have gotten the the level of walking just by making sure all your dead end roads were connected with a short at-grade path near crosswalks. The whole "fused grid" approach.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
That city isn't big or dense enough to have traffic problems in the first place.

edit: not to poop in your cheerios or anything

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BobTheJanitor posted:

Hey, Zonable Pedestrian Paths is back, by itself, and from the original modder no less. Looks like we're not dealing with a crazy prima-donna. Rejoice in your working paths, without broken feature creep.

Yeah, I've been using Traffic++ for the zoneable paths and now I have a few neighborhoods consisting of those paths so I can't really turn the mod off without a bunch of fuckery so I've just been dealing with no traffic arrows on the roads and whatever, but the modder seems like a cool dude at least if you read through the comments and bug reports on Traffic++

The last update on that mod added in 6 lane roads with bus lanes on them (so like 4 lanes regular traffic and 2 bus lanes) and it also added bus stops and bus routes on the zoneable paths. The latter part is what hosed stuff up apparently - if you read the thread on the mod page he says it's because he's basically working against the game trying to get vehicles traveling on pedestrian paths. It's not weird crazy traffic changes or anything like that, I feel like people are giving him a bad rap.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 27, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BobTheJanitor posted:

Two-lanes by themselves won't create stops, anything bigger than that will, except freeway sections. Which leads to a lot of roundabouts made of freeway so that they work like they should in reality.

Oh, duh! That's why my six-lane one-way roundabout was acting all lovely.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah, I've been using Traffic++ for the zoneable paths and now I have a few neighborhoods consisting of those paths so I can't really turn the mod off without a bunch of fuckery so I've just been dealing with no traffic arrows on the roads and whatever, but the modder seems like a cool dude at least if you read through the comments and bug reports on Traffic++

The last update on that mod added in 6 lane roads with bus lanes on them (so like 4 lanes regular traffic and 2 bus lanes) and it also added bus stops and bus routes on the zoneable paths. The latter part is what hosed stuff up apparently - if you read the thread on the mod page he says it's because he's basically working against the game trying to get vehicles traveling on pedestrian paths. It's not weird crazy traffic changes or anything like that, I feel like people are giving him a bad rap.

Is the lack of direction arrows just a mistake or he has some grand arrogant design and refuses to add them back in due to insane modder reasons?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Is the lack of direction arrows just a mistake or he has some grand arrogant design and refuses to add them back in due to insane modder reasons?

It's a mistake, he's saying please submit bug reports if you have 'em so he can figure out why exactly it's happened. He added an option to the mod (there's an options menu for it if you look at the mods in the content manager in game) that is labeled 'arrow fix' but since that isn't working for everyone he also uploaded the last stable version.

According to him the trouble is coming from trying to override the 'no vehicles on pedestrian paths' code but idk that's out of my depth. I'm just glad he's at least acknowledging there's a problem and trying to fix it instead of going 'THIS IS ALL PART OF MY MASTER PLAN' like the oblivion gate guy.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I think I'm getting my industry's traffic under control, but now the trash keeps piling up and I'm trying to find ways to stop my garbage trucks from getting stuck in traffic. :argh:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What are people using as a standard freeway on/offramp setup? Been experimenting with different setups involving roundabouts under elevated highway but they're kind of a pain in the rear end to set up and take a lot of room. Would be interested to see what is working well for people.

Also, how should I be using resources? Like for forestry, do I need to place my zones in the middle of a forest or is the idea that guys are out cutting wood somewhere and can bring it back to my industrial zone?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

xzzy posted:

I can't wait until people start hitting texture limits on their video card or some obscure Unity blowup because there's too many assets to load.

It's going to be fun seeing people try and do "realistic" mods and slap "2048x2048" textures on every building they can and then express surprise at the eventual lag.

Which reminds me I'll have to look up for some kind of building guideline before making mine, I'm not sure what standardization the ones in the game use right now.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

I can't wait until people who are good at making things start modding in horrendously ugly Brutalist structures. Like this:

Who WOULDN'T want that in their city? Hell, who wouldn't want a city filled with nothing BUT that?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

DEO3 posted:

Third patch in under a month, I like the cut of these guys' jib.

Nothing really sexy in there, but it's nice to see a developer who can patch their game more then 1-2 times a year.

Never played a title published by paradox before? Their own in house games tend to be patched monthly and sometimes multiple times in a month if DLC is added. EUIV is on patch 1.11.4 now, and that only came out in August 2013. There were 5 patches in March, 2 in Feb, 4 in Dec. Of those 11 patches, 2 were major patches which changed quite a lot. I fully expect this to be strongly supported by the devs.

e; i want that ugly loving building yesterday, I want this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DOyBvBwWdY) to describe my city

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

GTD Aquitaine posted:

I can't wait until people who are good at making things start modding in horrendously ugly Brutalist structures. Like this:

Who WOULDN'T want that in their city? Hell, who wouldn't want a city filled with nothing BUT that?

Where is this from? I feel like I've seen a photo of it from the US east coast. Philly maybe.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
What is even in it? I have to imagine it is all huge conference rooms, because if not most of the rooms in the building won't even have windows and thus no natural light, which does not sound like a good idea.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Brutalism is cool and good when done properly.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Someone make a city of just brutalist buildings and that hell scape streets and concrete only for miles. Then add a bunch of They Live billboards.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413685714
Max out the population too somehow.

Then it will be complete, the final vision of human society will be realized. Magnasanti, the sequel. The utopia.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Bel Monte posted:

Someone make a city of just brutalist buildings and that hell scape streets and concrete only for miles. Then add a bunch of They Live billboards.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413685714
Max out the population too somehow.

Then it will be complete, the final vision of human society will be realized. Magnasanti, the sequel. The utopia.

I just subbed to all of that persons billboards

i wish more buildings had billboards on them by default, it seems like it is mostly commercial stuff which have them on, I want to see more billboards on residential growables

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Count Roland posted:

Where is this from? I feel like I've seen a photo of it from the US east coast. Philly maybe.

Seems like it's the Buffalo City Court House.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Seems like it's the Buffalo City Court House.

Aha! That explains why I recognized it, and why it looks so terrifying.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Japanese Garden for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

HORMELCHILI posted:

gun store (functions as police):

Hahaha