Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

littleorv posted:

I honestly think the jump controls for dark souls 2 are pretty great

It might be the years of Mario Party I've played, but I've never found the original jumping controls to be that bad. I can't use L3 to jump in DkS2 because it just feels weird having jump be on my left hand instead of right. Good thing it's an option to toggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
proposal: a thread where you can talk about things you don't like about games

reality: a man falls through the earth and into the nexus. walking up some stairs he spies row upon row of monumentals. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "lol git gud noob"

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Len posted:

So it's an Obsidian game?

Like most of SA's slobbering Obsidian fanboys, the reason I buy their games has everything to do with storytelling and character interaction and nothing to do with their inexplicably still-employed programmers and QA team

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kalos posted:

Like most of SA's slobbering Obsidian fanboys, the reason I buy their games has everything to do with storytelling and character interaction and nothing to do with their inexplicably still-employed programmers and QA team

I just remember people joking the game would still be super buggy and this time there wouldn't be anyone to blame except Obsidian. Because it seems like for every other buggy game the release there's cries of "but it isn't their fault!"

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Len posted:

I just remember people joking the game would still be super buggy and this time there wouldn't be anyone to blame except Obsidian. Because it seems like for every other buggy game the release there's cries of "but it isn't their fault!"

There were cases like KotOR 2 where not only were they screwed by the publisher on release schedule, but actively prevented from putting the cut content into a patch or expansion after launch after launch, but I think a lot of that meme came from Dungeon Siege 3 with (like the first two non-Obsidian installments) was a game that, while technically playable, nobody loving cared about its existence.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Len posted:

The game came out yesterday. Please tell me of a game that has been absolutely 100% bug free on release.

Kalos posted:

There were cases like KotOR 2 where not only were they screwed by the publisher on release schedule, but actively prevented from putting the cut content into a patch or expansion after launch after launch, but I think a lot of that meme came from Dungeon Siege 3 with (like the first two non-Obsidian installments) was a game that, while technically playable, nobody loving cared about its existence.

South Park was pretty dang solid too.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Austrian mook posted:

Okay? Who the gently caress cares? They have bad controls for a first person shooter too!! :bravo:

Fromsoft does have a really bad habit of putting platforming poo poo in the Souls games even though the jumping mechanics tend to be spotty. Most of the time it's for optional items/areas, occasionally it's not and either way you'll kill yourself a million times trying to make the jump.

Personally I'm glad they changed the jump controls, considering how many times I'd accidentally jump in Dark Souls 1 because I'm in the middle of a fight and forgot sprint with my shield up the whole time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lord Lambeth posted:

The game came out yesterday. Please tell me of a game that has been absolutely 100% bug free on release.

South Park was pretty dang solid too.

No games. It just amuses me that the first thing about the game posted in here isn't some minor complaint it's that the game is causing BSOD.

Sorry I insulted Obsidian though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lord Lambeth posted:

Even Super Mario Bros. had 'em. And it's not like "an entire enemy whose presence is the gimmick for several levels" is exactly a minor thing to have not working.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Even Super Mario Bros. had 'em. And it's not like "an entire enemy whose presence is the gimmick for several levels" is exactly a minor thing to have not working.

Wow. Presumably that's not really a glitch, as in a "woops we should patch this" glitch, but an unintended behavior they chose not to fix. Because that would have been a gigantic pain in the rear end if Lakitu worked like that.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Esroc posted:

Finally decided top give Dark Souls 2 a try and I don't get the appeal. Everyone gushes over the "difficulty" of the series and how high stakes the game is, but the difficulty doesn't stem from brilliant game design or amazing balance. The difficulty is solely based on the fact that the game has the most horrendous control scheme and button response I've ever seen and making your character perform the simplest of actions is an exercise in futility.

I guess gimping the player with a nightmare of a control scheme is a kind of difficulty, but it's not the kind I was expecting.
Everyone's piling on this guy but I'm gonna second what he's saying. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, it ain't. The controls feel sluggish and unresponsive, on KB+M or a controller.

Still might give both of them another shot sometime though. They are interesting, even if they both control and explain their gameplay functions about as well as Deadly Premonition.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Len posted:

No games. It just amuses me that the first thing about the game posted in here isn't some minor complaint it's that the game is causing BSOD.

Sorry I insulted Obsidian though.

It's okay, we'll delay your execution for questioning the almighty game developer.

Sardonik posted:

Everyone's piling on this guy but I'm gonna second what he's saying. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, it ain't. The controls feel sluggish and unresponsive, on KB+M or a controller.

Still might give both of them another shot sometime though. They are interesting, even if they both control and explain their gameplay functions about as well as Deadly Premonition.

DS2 has something called adaptability, pound that stat up and you will basically be back to what Dark Souls the First was.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Mar 27, 2015

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

DStecks posted:

Wow. Presumably that's not really a glitch, as in a "woops we should patch this" glitch, but an unintended behavior they chose not to fix. Because that would have been a gigantic pain in the rear end if Lakitu worked like that.

It was an NES game, they were all designed to be a huge pain in the rear end.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Screaming Idiot posted:

Dark Souls is the greatest hentai game I've ever played.

Try skeleton but hole.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Kalos posted:

Have you tried the workaround? Open the console ( ` ) and type "msaa 0" to disable anti-aliasing. Might not be your problem but it's common enough to have that posted up on the forums.

I came here to bitch about bugs in that game too but mine's way more trivial so now I feel petty.

Yeup, I've basically tried every fix in every forum about Pillars to no avail. It really sucks because I want to enjoy this game, I really want to get my $50 worth of crpg goodness out of it but it just won't let me. When it does run it lags like crazy and then just freezes and crashes every 5-10 minutes at most. Apparently it's trying to pull something like 2-3gigs of ram just to move across the map. :wtc:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sardonik posted:

You havent actually played the game

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
"Metal gear rising this ain't"

Except its got a way, way better combat system than rising. Hell, rising has the worst combat system out of all of Platinums recent games. Im tired of listening to idiots who dont know what theyre talking about on this goddamn forum.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

DStecks posted:

The Cutting Room Floor here has a technical overview of why the spiny isn't working the way it's supposed to. Simply put, the variable that's supposed to store the horizontal speed for the falling spiny gets overwritten before it's actually used. So it is a bug, but yeah it might be one of those things that they decided worked better than what they planned.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Yeup, I've basically tried every fix in every forum about Pillars to no avail. It really sucks because I want to enjoy this game, I really want to get my $50 worth of crpg goodness out of it but it just won't let me. When it does run it lags like crazy and then just freezes and crashes every 5-10 minutes at most. Apparently it's trying to pull something like 2-3gigs of ram just to move across the map. :wtc:

get a computer not made in 2002

Austrian mook posted:

Except its got a way, way better combat system than rising. Hell, rising has the worst combat system out of all of Platinums recent games. Im tired of listening to idiots who dont know what theyre talking about on this goddamn forum.

im hopping mad about all these video game men!!!!!!!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

I don't know what medication you decided to stop taking but it's clearly not working out for any of us.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Alouicious posted:

get a computer not made in 2002

I built it last year and just replaced the video card - and actually in the middle of writing this it crashed my system again :(

Cmon Obsidian I really want to play this game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Oxxidation posted:

I don't know what medication you decided to stop taking but it's clearly not working out for any of us.

Say what you will, but im right.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
It's a minor complaint, but I wish the route planner had no range limitations in elite: dangerous. 1K LY is very generous, but if it can do 1K, I don't see why it couldn't do 10. Also being able to select objects from the system map screen would be nice.

Austrian mook posted:

You havent actually played the game

~Actually I did.~

Austrian mook posted:

Actually metal gear rising owns, it must be frustrating to be so consistently wrong about video games.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sardonik posted:

Actually metal gear rising owns, it must be frustrating to be so consistently wrong about video games.

Funny, i disagree with you so i have ti hate all games. I like Rising a lot im just not a child who doesn't realize that the base combat gets extremely monotonous considering there's no weapon switching or many enemy types. If you weren't a blithering moron you'd have been able to figure that out for yourself. Comparing Dark Souls combat to Rising combat is pretty hilariously stupid, and genuinely the dumbest thing I've read on this hack site in months.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Funny, i disagree with you so i have ti hate all games. I like Rising a lot im just not a child who doesn't realize that the base combat gets extremely monotonous considering there's no weapon switching or many enemy types. If you weren't a blithering moron you'd have been able to figure that out for yourself. Comparing Dark Souls combat to Rising combat is pretty hilariously stupid, and genuinely the dumbest thing I've read on this hack site in months.

look at these clowns. they don't even know real video games. what a bunch of clowny clowns.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Funny, i disagree with you so i have ti hate all games. I like Rising a lot im just not a child who doesn't realize that the base combat gets extremely monotonous considering there's no weapon switching or many enemy types.

Sounds like someone wasn't able to get past Mistral.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RBA Starblade posted:

Sounds like someone wasn't able to get past Mistral.

What? The only way to switch out your weapons in Rising is by pausing the game, rendering almost all of then effectively worthless.

E: but no, i just wasn't able to beat the piss easy first boss

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Austrian mook posted:

What? The only way to switch out your weapons in Rising is by pausing the game, rendering almost all of then effectively worthless.

E: but no, i just wasn't able to beat the piss easy first boss

"You can't switch weapons, except this way, in which you can switch weapons." That's funny. You're a funny guy, Austrian mook, I like you.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RBA Starblade posted:

"You can't switch weapons, except this way, in which you can switch weapons."

Wow, youre actually dumber then i thought you were. Im stunned. Every single human readig that post understands im talking about dynamic switching in the middle of battle, you know like in DMC, Bayonetta, W101. Any other game in the same genre as rising. But please, by all means fulfill your fantasy of owning someone youre never going to meet on the internet. loving idiot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Austrian mook posted:

Wow, youre actually dumber then i thought you were. Im stunned. Every single human readig that post understands im talking about dynamic switching in the middle of battle, you know like in DMC, Bayonetta, W101. Any other game in the same genre as rising. But please, by all means fulfill your fantasy of owning someone youre never going to meet on the internet. loving idiot.

You are a very angry and confused man, but I still like you.

e: Despite your wrong opinions about video games, I mean.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Austrian mook posted:

Lmao chill bro

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Edit: ^^^ Good Advice

vvvv Good Point (Also that sentence makes me laugh because I know there is one person out there still who loses their poo poo about Sephiroth to this day.)

ZeusCannon has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Mar 27, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Hey if we're doing really obvious trolling that people will inevitably fall for I've got one:

Kingdom Hearts is a lovely franchise for literal infants

"DONALD DUCK SCORED A CRITICAL HIT ON SEPIROTH FOR 9999 DAMAGE!" Yeah that's a game adults play

Try not to step on any legos when you run upstairs from the basement when mom says your hot pockets are done

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

...Isn't it, though?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ZeusCannon posted:

What? You couldn't beat the first boss of Rising? I bet if I played a laser pointer over my controller my cat could beat that boss. Also Dark souls is overrated honestly.

When i called it piss easy, that was tipping you off that i wasn't being serious. I guess i need to write [THIS IS A JOKE] after every joke post now since this website lets deer make accounts now.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Hey if we're doing really obvious trolling that people will inevitably fall for I've got one:

"DONALD DUCK SCORED A CRITICAL HIT ON SEPIROTH FOR 9999 DAMAGE!" Yeah that's a game adults play

Try not to step on any legos when you run upstairs from the basement when mom says your hot pockets are done

I take this stance unironically

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This and PYF funny comics are my favorite threads, simply for the insanely disproportionate amount of anger and upset they seem to wring out of goons somehow

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RBA Starblade posted:

You are a very angry and confused man, but I still like you.

e: Despite your wrong opinions about video games, I mean.

Im not confused, I've been abundantly clear and im frankly tired of repeating myself.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This and PYF funny comics are my favorite threads, simply for the insanely disproportionate amount of anger and upset they seem to wring out of goons somehow

Saying anything that a goon likes has a fault in it is the best way to get anger out of goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Ive never played Kingdom Hearts because it looks like loving garbage and im not a woman.