Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

I need to figure out a good main villain for my South based game that isn't the usual played out Exalted bad guy tropes. Suggestions?

A charismatic worm-man prophet and his legion of Wyld-mad henchmen, and their enslaved sandworm. Enjoys covert Celestial support from some various gods of worms and carrion-eaters. Wants to tear apart everything and thrive in the churning chaos (an "age of worms?"). Was secretly manipulated by a Deathknight but believes himself to have escaped or slain it.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Secret Mummy Empire.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
How about the Raksha potentate of a walled oasis city in a Wyld zone in the deep South where the laws of reality are voted on and altered by consensus of its inhabitants? Always looking to expand.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mendrian posted:

This is a cool idea for a story. I imagine they'll run into problems when they have to deal with the messy state of affairs that is actual humanity rather than an opportunity to be chaste, noble, etc. Like real human problems are dirty and not conducive to the kind of black and white nobility that stereotypical heroes are able to sort through. Robber-baron takes hold of a community through cut-throat threats and bullying? Easy. Family of drug-addicted farmers need the characters to save their only child from a distant monarch who has taken the child hostage as payment for the many crimes of the parents against the state? Slightly more difficult.
Build a community center!

Really it almost seems like the only way you could tell "a group of PC solars" from this concept is that the PC solars would probably leave somewhat more rugged infrastructure in their wake, and probably be more inventively sadistic in dispatching the big boss and his lieutenants. Perhaps that is the point, man...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
All of those suggestions are really good but

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Secret Mummy Empire.

we might have a winner

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Know the right friends-of-friends and you may well find the special herbs and spices in your coffin when they float you down the River of Kings.

Your true career starts there.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

How about the Raksha potentate of a walled oasis city in a Wyld zone in the deep South where the laws of reality are voted on and altered by consensus of its inhabitants? Always looking to expand.

http://legacyofthestoryteller.wikispaces.com/file/view/Jorge+Luis+Borges+-+The+lottery+of+Babylon.pdf

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Yes!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bears. Like a lot of bears. And then they figure out how to drive tanks.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Too many bears.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
why would bears be in the south??? this doesn't add up at all

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Because a Twilight used Lore charms to brute-force their Bear Knowledge check, so now there are bears in the south, goddamnit.

Edit: or make them polar bears. As in, Pole-of-Fire bears. This seems eminently-reasonable.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Rebel Cloudbear faction is making the south even drier and more inhospitable at the behest of the Secret Mummy Empire, who is trying to gain control of their Rogue Lost City governed by its Insane Dead City-God/Demon (I hate when Exalted uses AI, so out of theme.). Wong Bongerok wants to hire the PCs off the books because this is really cutting into his profit margins and he's getting a lot of heat for all the complaints. Deep cover Sidereal attempts to use the PCs in a sting operation to get Wong censured and pacify the Rogue City so Heaven can take inventory of its contents. Lunar with a band of nomads wants to use Rogue City as home for his people and prevent the Heavenly Inventory but would really rather not pay taxes to Wong Bongerok.

The city is full of dinosaurs who would really rather all of you go away, as they don't find Insane Dead City-God to be all that Insane and consider its behavior purely rational in avoiding all of these losers and blasting intrusive interlopers. Desert Raksha think all of this is hilarious and is going to make a really good story, so they'll just keep stirring up poo poo until that happens. There is an insane hobo who could probably figure out an arrangement that would make everyone happy, but he is insane and is also a wandering hobo, so good luck with that.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Because a Twilight used Lore charms to brute-force their Bear Knowledge check, so now there are bears in the south, goddamnit.

Edit: or make them polar bears. As in, Pole-of-Fire bears. This seems eminently-reasonable.

The idea of five different flavors of polar bear is hilarious to me.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Beware the venomous WoodBear.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Beware the venomous WoodBear.

No way. Eastern bears are drop bears.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
There actually are five different kinds of elemental bear that shepherds Creation's wind, one color per major direction.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ferrinus posted:

There actually are five different kinds of elemental bear that shepherds Creation's wind, one color per major direction.

Azumat, the Great Bear of the South Winds, his mighty breath a sandstorm and his eyes rubies above his gnashing maw of teeth like great crags, has fallen. Of age or treachery, it is not known. None of the great bears has fallen in an age of men or more, and only the wisest sages still speak of the tumultuous time that occurs in the wake of their deaths. A great bear migration has begun, and across the expanse of creation all bears are heeding the call. They trudge southward, pausing only to feed and sleep, in twos and threes at first, but gathering ever in number, running together like rivulets down a pane of glass until at last a great fur-backed ocean of muscled bear-flesh sweeps inexorably towards the Southern pole. By instinct or by dim knowledge of Heaven's Mandate, the bears know that one amongst them must take up the mantle of the South Wind guardian. Nothing will stand in the way of this threshing tide of fur and claw.

However, the opportunities for glory are numerous in this time. Bandits plot to sweep in and conquer what the bears leave in their wake, power-mad thaumaturges and beastmen seek to harvest the power of this swarm for their own petty gains, and rumours persist of age-addled Lunars that believe they might claim the mantle of Elemental Lord of the South wind. The Shadowlands too have come to take advantage, sending great machines of necrotic metal to harvest this bounty of bone and muscle. Heroes must strike out to aid in Heaven's rule. They must protect the bears even as they avoid the gnashing jaws of thousands. They must evacuate villages and cities to high ground, then resettle in the wreckage and prevent chaos, and not just from the natural wild bears, for even bearlike monsters rise now and trudge towards the pole. The horizon, moving and creeping like a vast insect horde, is studded through with the greatest of Creation's bears. Huge dire bears, Elementals taking draconic and bear form at once, and even the impossible presence of mile-high bear Behemoths await the most powerful of heroes. Answer the call, children of the Unconquered Sun! Rise up and defend the South so that nature can take its course. A bear must rise!

theironjef fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 22, 2015

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Bears Rise: Bearfall

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What level of Working would it be to forcibly grant a bear Solar Exaltation?

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Anyone who wouldn't play the Great Bear Migration hates fun.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Thesaurasaurus posted:

If there are polar bears...

are there Solar Bears?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

theironjef posted:

mile-high bear Behemoths

Bearhemoths.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

theironjef posted:

Azumat, the Great Bear of the South Winds, his mighty breath a sandstorm and his eyes rubies above his gnashing maw of teeth like great crags, has fallen. Of age or treachery, it is not known. None of the great bears has fallen in an age of men or more, and only the wisest sages still speak of the tumultuous time that occurs in the wake of their deaths. A great bear migration has begun, and across the expanse of creation all bears are heeding the call. They trudge southward, pausing only to feed and sleep, in twos and threes at first, but gathering ever in number, running together like rivulets down a pane of glass until at last a great fur-backed ocean of muscled bear-flesh sweeps inexorably towards the Southern pole. By instinct or by dim knowledge of Heaven's Mandate, the bears know that one amongst them must take up the mantle of the South Wind guardian. Nothing will stand in the way of this threshing tide of fur and claw.

However, the opportunities for glory are numerous in this time. Bandits plot to sweep in and conquer what the bears leave in their wake, power-mad thaumaturges and beastmen seek to harvest the power of this swarm for their own petty gains, and rumours persist of age-addled Lunars that believe they might claim the mantle of Elemental Lord of the South wind. The Shadowlands too have come to take advantage, sending great machines of necrotic metal to harvest this bounty of bone and muscle. Heroes must strike out to aid in Heaven's rule. They must protect the bears even as they avoid the gnashing jaws of thousands. They must evacuate villages and cities to high ground, then resettle in the wreckage and prevent chaos, not just from the natural wild bears, for even bearlike monsters rise now and trudge towards the pole. The horizon, moving and creeping like a vast insect horde, is studded through with the greatest of Creation's bears. Huge dire bears, Elementals taking draconic and bear form at once, and even the impossible presence of mile-high bear Behemoths await the most powerful of heroes. Answer the call, children of the Unconquered Sun! Rise up and defend the South so that nature can take it's course. A bear must rise!

Is this the plot to the Malazan Book of the Fallen book that has the great convergence of Soletaken and D'ivers

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
This is the longest loving present ever.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

This is the longest loving present ever.
The Monday notes said the spite-pass is back to Maria now though, so presumably it'll be looking like a book sooner or later?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I'd have been so mad about all the delays and the underwhelming fiction anthology if the entire corebook hadn't been leaked out already :toot:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hatewheel eat the eggs publish the book

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Nessus posted:

Hatewheel eat the eggs publish the book

Also eat some eggs.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The Monday notes said the spite-pass is back to Maria now though, so presumably it'll be looking like a book sooner or later?

They've repeated the same thing on Monday notes for like two months. "Book is now on the hands of the final editor!" "Book is getting the last art in!" "book is being tested for VDs!" "book was just sent to an engineer to make it more aerodynamic!".

If it wasn't for the leak I would think they are just making excuses and have the book half finished. Since we already basically have it I guess it's just about to come out, but every week it's a new tiny step to finish it.

cybertier
May 2, 2013

Hugoon Chavez posted:

They've repeated the same thing on Monday notes for like two months. "Book is now on the hands of the final editor!" "Book is getting the last art in!" "book is being tested for VDs!" "book was just sent to an engineer to make it more aerodynamic!".

If it wasn't for the leak I would think they are just making excuses and have the book half finished. Since we already basically have it I guess it's just about to come out, but every week it's a new tiny step to finish it.

Recently they said that the Devs were still making tweaks to the texts. I'd guesshope that the leak ended in a convenient proof-read and they fixed some last things.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

cybertier posted:

Recently they said that the Devs were still making tweaks to the texts. I'd guesshope that the leak ended in a convenient proof-read and they fixed some last things.

There are going to be some changes compared to the leak, from what they said.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The timeline seems pretty straightforward:

They finished with the text and sent it to layout.
Layout did a rough flow of the text.
Layout reported "this book is going to be the size of an elephant; is that okay."
OPP decided that no, it wasn't okay, and sent the book back for cuts.
Devs worked with the text to trim it down.
Devs sent the book back to layout.
The present!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Birth of Black Jesus

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Apparently there was some hoohaa when Holden sent back a load of work to some freelancers and told them to do it all again and do it right this time, and they told him to loving swivel on it unless they were going to be paid for it. Not sure what or how much, though.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Doodmons posted:

Apparently there was some hoohaa when Holden sent back a load of work to some freelancers and told them to do it all again and do it right this time, and they told him to loving swivel on it unless they were going to be paid for it. Not sure what or how much, though.

nobody gets paid until the book comes out, it's apparently policy in Onyx Path

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bedlamdan posted:

I'm guessing the writers are even more eager for the loving thing to finally come out than the backers!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'm guessing the writers are even more eager for the loving thing to finally come out than the backers!

Well, it was certainly one of the reasons a dev had to beg online for his hospital fees after getting almost 700 grand to write an elfgame book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

This is not entirely accurate. It should vary by contract but there have been cases of payment upon submission of the final draft with the rest upon the release of the product. Granted in this case there may have been a year or more between those two phases.

• Locked thread