Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

texasmed posted:

Going towards the Leopard 1, should I bother with light tanks after tier 5 or are you always badly outgunned by higher-tier mediums?

Play light tanks if you will accept that you can and will often die in a single shot (because of being tracked/one shot with damage) and that said shots will include lucky snapshots while you're blazing away around 40 kmph.
Else do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Play light tanks if you will accept that you can and will often die in a single shot (because of being tracked/one shot with damage) and that said shots will include lucky snapshots while you're blazing away around 40 kmph.
Else do not.

You will not be one-shot in a light tank unless you are playing bad and wandering in front of 183s.

texasmed posted:

I'd like an invite to the squad if you'll take a bad and sparingly active player. http://worldoftanks.com/community/accounts/1013323516-texasmed/

Going towards the Leopard 1, should I bother with light tanks after tier 5 or are you always badly outgunned by higher-tier mediums?

The tier 8 lights aren't outgunned per se, but their biggest strength is their mobility. They're difficult and unrewarding to play unless you are already good at the game, and then they're just unrewarding because your team is going to be bad.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

texasmed posted:

I'd like an invite to the squad if you'll take a bad and sparingly active player. http://worldoftanks.com/community/accounts/1013323516-texasmed/

I'd say most of the light tanks are pretty fun and if things go well, can absolutely wreck poo poo. Almost all the nations have something neat with their lights, with the US having the best all around.

On the other hand, you will have countless rounds where a lucky snapshot kills you, something spots you for some reason and you die, you hit a bump and break both tracks, then die. You get a city map and die.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

So I come back to tonks and hear there's a new French tree being added and it branches off from the AMX 13-90. Is there anywherevI can see this tree so I can start grinding exp and crew? Also it's about loving time they added more French tanks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The French Army posted:

So I come back to tonks and hear there's a new French tree being added and it branches off from the AMX 13-90. Is there anywherevI can see this tree so I can start grinding exp and crew? Also it's about loving time they added more French tanks.

AMX 30 Proto is like 190k from the 1390, and leads to the AMX 30b. Check test server.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I'm bad at light tanks, but I do enjoy them. I notice most of the high level game play with them is sitting in the middle to back of the map waiting until the end when they can clean up a bunch of 10% heavies and unprotected arties. Walker Bulldogs seem to be the king of this tactic.

Maybe that is how they should be played? I don't really know. I just do stupid poo poo in them. Every now and again it works out and I have a blast.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

AMX 30 Proto is like 190k from the 1390, and leads to the AMX 30b. Check test server.

The AMX 30 Proto is 197k exp of pure bliss in the 13-90. I seriously love playing my 13-90 because it can't lose.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You will not be one-shot in a light tank unless you are playing bad and wandering in front of 183s.

Being snapshot at 300m while doing 60km/h by an Su-152 firing HE is a particular favourite. There are many vehicles that can one shot a light tank, and all you have to do is inadvertently drive across the firing line of an unspotted one - and boy, do some pubbies point their guns in unexpected and otherwise useless directions.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

They're also adding another minibrach of low tier French tanks from tier 2-5, some of them might be ok.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

TracerM17 posted:

I'm bad at light tanks, but I do enjoy them. I notice most of the high level game play with them is sitting in the middle to back of the map waiting until the end when they can clean up a bunch of 10% heavies and unprotected arties. Walker Bulldogs seem to be the king of this tactic.

Maybe that is how they should be played? I don't really know. I just do stupid poo poo in them. Every now and again it works out and I have a blast.

I do that pretty much. Spot and/or snipe early, then pray you're not 14-0 behind and go murder stuff.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

LostCosmonaut posted:

He quit WoT because Russia invaded the Ukraine, and he didn't want to support Russian companies (in Tazilon land, Belarus and Russia are the same).

Well to be fair, Belarus is more closely allied with Russia than Ukraine, but he seems to be claiming in your screenshot that he was "trolling" people by making that claim. He's not exactly great at trolling (kind of like how he's not exactly great at Tanks in general or the VK2801 in specific!)

Steelion posted:

In other news, just bought the 50 120 today.

I wish I had more free XP, because I want all of those upgrades so goddamn bad. I dunno if it's the hp/t ratio or the traction, but the thing feels more sluggish than my E-75. Is it worth sticking with the 100mm for slightly longer to get the engine and/or the tracks earlier? I feel like I can make the 100mm work, I just need to get used to it again.

Or is the 50 120 just that much slower than the 50 100?

Wow, the 50 120 was fast as gently caress for me. You will outrun some medium tanks (e.g. Cent 7) and it goes 70 downhill. (RIP whatever's at the bottom of that hill! :D) Even stock, your mobility doesn't really change how you play it. The 100 is workable, but the 120 is pretty fantastic. There are far worse gun grinds, but I don't regret free XPing part of the 120, which I only did because the 100 was a little boring by that point, and I had/have a ton of free xp.

Nessus posted:

Hurray! But I don't have anywhere near a T10. Can even a lousy Tier VI join the new PANSY?

You can indeed if you provide your IGN; looks like adrudh is handling that at the moment, he (or any XO/recruiter) can hook you up.

Lazyhound posted:

Do you care about your stats? Do you care about your stats so much that you can't live without having them at your fingertips at every moment? Then do I have the smartwatch app for you: https://apps.getpebble.com/applications/546e1e2813159fbb420000bb

BadLlama posted:

I like to show girls I meet my stats don't you?

Hey, it's a pretty good app, and you have no idea how many times my stats have gotten me laid! ;)

Rothmog posted:

Is it because they are better at multitasking? For example making a sandwich and doing the dishes at the same time.

Hahaha gently caress yes, I'm giving you some gold for that!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Hahahah. I do remember. Wasn't that FurHQ that I called nazis? It went amazingly well as a troll.

Nah, I don't think these guys were furries, but I'd have to go way back in my post history to find the details.

subhelios posted:

You don't have to if you don't want to, but it would be nice. I don't know if we are actually doing strongholds atm.

I keep saying this: we do skirmishes any time someone starts a detachment. There are usually enough dudes for a tier 6, which is about our level of ability anyway. Someone just has to go through the trouble of clicking like 2-3 times to get it started and send out invites.

Steelion posted:

We haven't done strongholds in ages, afaik, mostly just because nobody's on anymore. I think I saw like 8 people on last night, tops.

Unrelatedly, do the different ranks actually mean anything? I notice that I've somehow become a "Combat Officer"

I hosted some about 2-3 weeks ago. We won the first few at tier 8 and then lost like the last 6 in a row. :saddowns:

The ranks do have different permissions, except some of them are duplicates and thus basically exist to help sort your members. The XOs are active leaders (i.e. go to them for any issue you'd come to me for) & Recruiters obviously do their thing. Recruits are just brand-new members that I reassign once I recognize that they're active, and I use the Reservist category for inactive players that may be booted the next time I need to free up space. The rest of the categories are literally for all the rest of the regular members, and are functionally equivalent. I originally assigned them based on how active the players were, or how familiar I was with them; there are quite a few players in PANSY who are very active yet I've never played with or spoken to them for some reason (because they don't platoon or use TS) so they're not "ranked" very high, except again, the categories are being used for sorting rather than ranking. I actually have to go in and reassign permissions, which I'll do in the near future to free up some more slots. I already did some rearranging to add more Recruiters. Basically, I look for active, responsible members for XO positions, experienced members for Recruiters, and then I just want to limit access to the treasury (which I exclusively use for rewarding members who are hilarious.)

texasmed posted:

Invite sent, login to your account at the link you provided to accept it.

TracerM17 posted:

That's not a bad assessment. Basically, you need to stay alive in any tank if you want to deal damage and win games. Scouts generally have good camo, so you can either active or passive scout for your team while preserving your own HP, then clean up at the end (the last two parts being important for most other tank types as well.)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm having a bit of a problem with T-54s. Specifically, one on one t-54 fighting. I'm finding that they consistently pen me with AP be it nose to nose shoving match, head on at range, or with my hull angled to about 40 degrees. At the same time I am consistently bouncing my AP off them.

I'm aiming for the lower glacis or the side armour where I can (as opposed to spamming shots into the turret), I just seem to really really suck at fighting other T-54s. Any advice?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

McGavin posted:

The AMX 30 Proto is 197k exp of pure bliss in the 13-90. I seriously love playing my 13-90 because it can't lose.

Can I have yours because mine can't win?
It is actually getting ridiculous hosed by MM so far.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

T-25 and Excelsior are on sale, 38% off.

Also a whole bunch of other tonks no one gives a gently caress about.

e: I used winnings from a lottery ticket to buy a T-15 :shepspends:

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 27, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Cardiac posted:

Can I have yours because mine can't win?
It is actually getting ridiculous hosed by MM so far.

Learn to shoot APCR.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I love circling two T-92s waiting 3 minutes for someone to come damage them, so Wargaming can teach me how to Assist My Team by spotting artillery and having someone ELSE do damage to them. So, loving, retarded.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

maev posted:

I love circling two T-92s waiting 3 minutes for someone to come damage them, so Wargaming can teach me how to Assist My Team by spotting artillery and having someone ELSE do damage to them. So, loving, retarded.
I'm pretty sure you have to do damage to them... I don't think your team does. IIRC that's one of the missions that has a really lovely translation to English.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

You have to be the only one spotting them, and then have allies damage them. For the purpose of the damage, you yourself count as an ally apparently. It's something very close to this and it's pure unfiltered WG bullshit.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Missing Name posted:

T-25 and Excelsior are on sale, 38% off.

All the T5 and below US/UK/DE premium tanks are 50% off using gold to purchase this weekend, so, as is usually the case, it's more cost effective to just buy gold and get the tanks ingame than to buy any of WG's packages.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Agrajag posted:

Learn to shoot APCR.

I have realized that.
It is more a consequence of relatively few games (30 something) combined with a long string of losses. Of my 10 first games, 1 was a win.

I am actually not too worried. Had the same thing with the Comet and I still ended up with a final of 56% once I reached the Cent.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

T14, TOG, and Warcrime Panther are on sale, and pretty soon they won't be for sale at all. Get em now if you want a good tier five pref heavy, an absolute joke of a tank, or a TOG.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Hellsau posted:

an absolute joke of a tank, or a TOG.

You said TOG twice.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Southern Dandy posted:

You said TOG twice.

Clearly someone's never played their Warcrime after a game in their E-25.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Hellsau posted:

Clearly someone's never played their Warcrime after a game in their E-25.

Is that an arty? Because watch the last few minutes of this:

http://wotreplays.com/site/1743341#steppes-sodandy-lorraine_155_mle_51

Should I cap? Should I not? Well, you'll find out! 5 minutes in is where the fun starts.

Even my beloved M55 couldn't have done that. The cheers at the last second brought the house down.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 27, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
gently caress, I am not going to have enough XP to unlock the AMX 30 when the patch drops. The AMX 30 felt super good on the PTR as did the AMX 30b, idk if it was just me through but I felt like the 30 was faster than the 30b. Might have just been my eyes.

But the guns on them are really nice, obviously no armor though. But if you are a decent player, you can make these tanks work out very good for yourself.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

idk if it was just me through but I felt like the 30 was faster than the 30b. Might have just been my eyes.

Nah it's straight-up faster. The 30 is several tonnes lighter for whatever reason so it manages 22,15 hp/t at 1,0 passability on the T9 vs 20,0 at 1,1 on the T10. The 30B gets a solid advantage in track traverse though at 46°/s to the 30's 36°/s.

It looks like a very solid T9 leading to a fairly average T10. As long as you can live with the 30's 0,20 gun bloom, anyway.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Prav posted:

Nah it's straight-up faster. The 30 is several tonnes lighter for whatever reason so it manages 22,15 hp/t at 1,0 passability on the T9 vs 20,0 at 1,1 on the T10. The 30B gets a solid advantage in track traverse though at 46°/s to the 30's 36°/s.

It looks like a very solid T9 leading to a fairly average T10. As long as you can live with the 30's 0,20 gun bloom, anyway.

When I played it I barely noticed the bloom. I played it like a grimy fucker so I think that had something to do with it.

But I am a little confused why they would make the T10 slower (even if it is only a little bit). WG is kind of retarded with their balancing decisions.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I thought I heard 30b was going to be absurd?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I thought I heard 30b was going to be absurd?

It's a French Leo. With a tumor.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Mesadoram posted:

But I am a little confused why they would make the T10 slower (even if it is only a little bit). WG is kind of retarded with their balancing decisions.

Isn't that pretty common though? T30->E4, M46->M48, M53/55->T92, JT->JPE100, Obj704->Obj268, E50->E50M, there are lots of examples of tier 10 tanks being sidegrades or in a few cases flat downgrades from their T9 predecessors. It does seem kind of retarded but there looks like a lot of precedent for it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

saintonan posted:

Isn't that pretty common though? T30->E4, M46->M48, M53/55->T92, JT->JPE100, Obj704->Obj268, E50->E50M, there are lots of examples of tier 10 tanks being sidegrades or in a few cases flat downgrades from their T9 predecessors. It does seem kind of retarded but there looks like a lot of precedent for it.

TD's and SPGs I can understand, but Mediums main positive trait (most of the time) is their mobility.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Where do I dig up my IGN at, then, I'm completely poo poo at tanks or anything other than watching anime (and fellatio)

Is it just your game name?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Nessus posted:

Where do I dig up my IGN at, then, I'm completely poo poo at tanks or anything other than watching anime (and fellatio)

Is it just your game name?

Your... In Game Name, yes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

saintonan posted:

The E-50M is better than the E-50

e: FV4202 (P) in tank inspector

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 27, 2015

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
thanks to everyone for the info on the light tanks. you wernt joking about the pz ll c. that thing hauls rear end and that last gun you buy chews through armor from behind. I am having a hard time penetrating tier 4 front and side armor.

my crew for the tank is almost done with thier basic training. what skills should I be putting on my commander and driver?

ive also been fooling around with the British cruisers. bought lll becuase its a light tank but has a little more armor then the normal light tanks. is the iv worth picking up?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

e: FV4202 (P) in tank inspector

:lol: those bloom values, that top speed and base hp/t.

e: I'm kinda digging the whole spare track links counting as armor thing. Also autoloading IS-3/D-25+APCR without any stats on the autoloader:

ee: or is that just loading assist? that just makes it an IS-3 with bad acc. How utterly loving uninteresting.

Prav fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 27, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Prav posted:

Your... In Game Name, yes.
I never ran into the TLA before :v: That'll teach me to not play with goons.

However, it is Mesarthim

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It's a shame that they're adding all these interesting premiums just after their policy changes to "premiums should have full MM and suck rear end". T-54 45 :qq:

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm having a bit of a problem with T-54s. Specifically, one on one t-54 fighting. I'm finding that they consistently pen me with AP be it nose to nose shoving match, head on at range, or with my hull angled to about 40 degrees. At the same time I am consistently bouncing my AP off them.

I'm aiming for the lower glacis or the side armour where I can (as opposed to spamming shots into the turret), I just seem to really really suck at fighting other T-54s. Any advice?

Fire gold at other T-54s when fighting head on. Unless you've got a golden shot on an enemy T-54 I find you're unlikely to pen them with an AP shell from the front anyway. You should also try to wiggle the front of your own tank, if you're lucky (read: skillful) then you'll occasionally angle the armour in a way to bounce a shot reliably. If you're in a clinch with one, you can try for shooting the commander's cap on the turret although that has varying levels of success. Finally, don't be afraid to be a grubby shithead and stab one in the back when it gets distracted and goes in for a kill on a tank destroyer, any opportunity you have to further your own advantage as a T-54 will pay off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

It's Friday night and I'm bored as gently caress. Who wants to get drunk and shoot tanks? I'm making a drunk company/team/platoon.