Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Stutes posted:

Good news! Everyone desperate for more James May can now subscribe to 'JM's Unemployment Tube' for more compelling James May content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5_SB1FxAWg

Yesss! More James May is always a good thing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Stutes posted:

Good news! Everyone desperate for more James May can now subscribe to 'JM's Unemployment Tube' for more compelling James May content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5_SB1FxAWg

James May is the best.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Sad to see Top Gear coming to an end like this. It'll be tough to come up with a trio that could entertain like Clarkson, Hammond, and May could.

It was really lovely what Clarkson did, but I don't think it had to be handled in the manner it was. I'm not saying Clarkson shouldn't have been punished, but I think firing him was a but much when Tymon himself didn't make such a big deal of it. They should have made Clarkson issue a public apology, take an anger management course, and donate to a charity or do public service.

You can't really compare this situation to normal corporations because if the CEO of a car company gets into a fracas with an engineer you're not going to end up with a car that has square wheels and can only go in reverse. Clarkson, Hammond, and May are integral to the popularity and success of Top Gear and it's mind-boggling that they'd tear that down so easily.

Just because the fracas was public knowledge doesn't mean a sacking was the only course of action. I'm pretty sure Tymon thoroughly enjoyed working to make Top Gear happen and wouldn't have wanted it to end because of what happened. People yell and hit other people all the time and, while no one is encouraging that behavior, it doesn't mean that the parties involved can't get over it and make up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
no.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

They should film the rest of the series with three Stigs, appearing to give full interviews in mime, and have a loud-mouthed commentator do the hot laps.

EDIT: minimalistic mimicking and gestures, completely freezing when the guest of the week asks something.
James May as the Stig doing hotlaps, and every car going around the track in three minutes flat.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

The BBC's director general had to step in to save Clarkson's job as recently as last November. If this were his first offense, it'd be a difficult sell to keep him. As it is, he's proved time and time again that he will say he's very sorry with a wink and a nod to his "real fans," and then go and do whatever he wants to do. Jeremy Clarkson the character can not back down. While that's got a lot to do with his success, it is also why this show couldn't end in any other way than him getting fired from it.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
This sucks. When my dad got diagnosed with brain cancer I was in the 10th grade. I had just discovered top gear and with my parents being out of town to get treatment for my dad it really helped me have something to lagh at. I hope the 3 of them come back

That being said you cant punch subordinates and not get fired. Ever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sincx posted:

NETFLIX CONFIRMED!

Supposedly Clarkson had a call with Netflix as well.

Let's hope its not just rumors.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Professor Bling posted:

No, it makes sense for you to compare domestic to domestic because it's the only way numbers come close to supporting you. Trying to talk about the success of the current Top Gear format/hosts while ignoring the international viewership/sales is disingenuous at best and willfully ignorant at worst.

So which one are you being?

Neither. Try not assuming I'm being some tricksy thing and instead making an honest argument. Stuff works during different time periods that wouldn't have worked at other times. I don't think old Top Gear would be doing as well in the modern day as the new Top Gear has. I also think that the success of the new Top Gear has been hugely due to marketing & producers as well as the particular presenters. I also don't think that the relationship between the three presenters is a completely unique thing that cannot possibly ever be imitated or replicated or even done better. I don't get why people are convinced these are the only three that can possibly work in this format. Do you notice in your reply to me you included format as part of the success--which is part of what I've been saying?

InitialDave posted:

Commie, I do like and agree with you most of the time, and I'm by no means advocating some kind of Lord of the Flies Thunderdome, but I was picked on a lot at school, and I learned that some people can't be reasoned with, don't really fear (or aren't thinking about the consequences enough to fear) punishment, and when they're right there and punching you, sometimes a drat good thump will be the only thing that's going to stop them.

I don't like it being that way, but it is how it is, and I can't accept it as an either/or dichotomy. Sometimes, if you really have to, you'll need to defend yourself, and it is morally right to do so.

The way this would have been a lot worse for the producer who got punched would be if he punched Clarkson back. So while I completely agree that there's a lot of people--like drunk privileged assholes--who aren't going to back down because of fear of consequences, even in those times it's often totally the wrong move punch them back. As it would have been in this case. I mean, the producer is pretty hosed anyway, but nowhere near as hosed as if he'd punched back and it'd turned into a brawl. Likewise, if someone yells at you at work and you threaten them physically in return, you're going to be in more trouble than they are in most jobs that aren't construction-related or waitstaff.

Doing TV or any poo poo like this is really super stressful. Because of this, people sometimes blow up--but people who can keep their cool are highly valued. If he had 'just' berated the producer for 20 minutes and told him he was fired it would have been a minor scandal but the BBC could have spun it. It still would have been nasty poo poo that got talked about a lot and jeopardized the show--and again, making a TV show is a lot more than just finding talent that works well together, it's a whole huge infrastructure and marketing team and a ton of other poo poo, and people aren't going to work their asses off for someone who treats them like crap or treats other coworkers like crap. That's also the 'real world'.

I blame Gordon Ramsay for popularizing the idea that you can be an utter cock to employees and it'll just make them work harder for you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Obdicut posted:

I blame Gordon Ramsay for popularizing the idea that you can be an utter cock to employees and it'll just make them work harder for you.

Rupert Murdoch as well, the guy is one tantrum away from turning back into an infant.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Top Gear US has been fine ever since they dropped the studio segment, star in a car, and lap board. That all felt too forced and copycat and annoying and they were really bad at it. Just having the episodes be 100% challenges is great and I like it. So the last two seasons, basically. Season 1 and 2 were not good.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Part of The American Dream is treating your underlings like poo poo except you have to remind everyone constantly that you're a Christian

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CommieGIR posted:

Let's be honest: Has there ever been a British show that the US did better?

I can't recall a single one.

The Office.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Obdicut posted:

That's largely an American construction, though. If you watch his UK stuff, you see he's generally quite friendly and genuinely wants to help people.

Hell's Kitchen is a reality show. Everyone there is playing a role, except for the one or two people who have any shot of actually winning (who usually don't feature much in early episodes, because watching someone do their job properly and without any drama is supremely uninteresting).

Wamsutta posted:

Top Gear US has been fine ever since they dropped the studio segment, star in a car, and lap board. That all felt too forced and copycat and annoying and they were really bad at it. Just having the episodes be 100% challenges is great and I like it. So the last two seasons, basically. Season 1 and 2 were not good.

I always liked those segments, though. I hated them on American Top Gear because they were poo poo, but I liked them on proper Top Gear. I don't know what everyone was complaining about with the guests being "too British" either, as if it's some sort of deeply foreign land and British celebrities never become known at all in the US.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Apparently I just don't watch enough American TV.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Rupert Murdoch as well, the guy is one tantrum away from turning back into an infant.

And also he controls a large fraction of the world's media. So unfortunately acting like that appears to be an effective way of doing business (and my own personal experience in business backs this up.)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

PT6A posted:

I always liked those segments, though. I hated them on American Top Gear

Same. On TGUK they're brilliant. The US couldn't pull that bit off, though, and removing them improved the flow of the show.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently I just don't watch enough American TV.

I'm mostly joking. I think any TV has the chance to be good regardless of it's origin.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Being Human

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
But see, yelling at employees is bad and there should be zero tolerance for it because it is wrong and abusive for the employee and the person doing the yelling should be fired even if they own/run whatever it is they do

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

And also he controls a large fraction of the world's media. So unfortunately acting like that appears to be an effective way of doing business (and my own personal experience in business backs this up.)

He also doesn't regularly punch people in the face, just yell and scream a lot.

BUUUUUuuuUUUUT. Its still wrong. Sorry.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Holy cow dude I was not even talking about Jeremy at all, just responding to the comment about Murdoch.

You seriously need to take a chill pill. Go outside or something. It's for your own health.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CommieGIR posted:

Shameless.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Holy cow dude I was not even talking about Jeremy at all, just responding to the comment about Murdoch.

And I responded back. What, I'm not allowed to respond?

I think it is you that needs a chill pill ;)

GutBomb posted:

Shameless.

Like I said, apparently I just don't watch enough American TV

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

GutBomb posted:

Shameless.

I would The first few seasons of the UK one were better than the US mainly because the US literally copied them in every way, but then they fell completely off with changing up the cast so much and US kept getting better and better.

I would also argue same thing for The Office.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Ooh, 600+ new posts in the TG thread, must've been an announcement about the new show or something...

Nope, just a bunch of people calling each other idiots. The internet, ladies and gentlemen.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
At this point I'd be willing to let Aatrek molest another kid if it meant he could come in here and start banning people for "making GBS threads up the thread".*

Unless you personally fired Jeremy Clarkson, nobody cares what you think about workplace abuse.

I'll probably watch the new Top Gear UK, but Top Gear USA has not given me high hopes.

*Yes, I'm aware that this isn't TVIV.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Is there a way to filter this thread so it's only gifs and videos?

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Cat Hatter posted:

Unless you personally fired Jeremy Clarkson, nobody cares what you think about workplace abuse.

This goes for people on both sides of the argument.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Sanford & Son

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Geez that looks like a pretty hostile work environment right there. Stig shoulda been fired.

Edit: I don't care what anyone says, I think this thread is beautiful just the way it is.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Could be significant news, Dermot O'Leary has quit his long standing presenting job (one of the highest paid in UK TV). He was already rumored to be in the running as he is a bit of a car nut, and has the kind of personality that would work very well (think JC just more PC).

Also significant rumors ITV has approached JC, but that will be a minefield for ITV if they take him on. Netflix would be the obvious choice if he wants to keep doing a Top Gear style program.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I wonder if Netflix Top Gear would switch to a format similar to TGUS where it's all a challenge. It'd certainly cut down on the need to source a track and/or get manufacturer support like they did via the BBC.

I can't say I'd be disappointed if it went that way. While the cinematography of supercars on the test track was pretty awe inspiring, I'd like to see more challenge and banter.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

P much.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
My Top Gear dream: Philip Glenister as the Clarkson, Chris Barrie as the May and Guy Martin as the Hammond. Bin off the news, Star in a Reasonably Priced Car and Stig drives a supercar segments in favour of those three competing in a set of hour long challenges. Continue until the end of time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why get rid of the news? Some of the best stuff is in that segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Why get rid of the news? Some of the best stuff is in that segment.

I actually disliked the Star in the Reasonable Priced Car, I loved the News.