Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Ah, okay, yeah I was completely talking past you. I thought Dead Gay Baby was complaining about not hearing any response from tweaking stuff til he re-triggered (not essential, but you can get some cool sampled sounds with it and it feels nice dialing in a patch), not worrying about how accurate it would sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I messed around with Aira gear tonight and it wasn't totally awful so maybe Waffle was on to something. I also got a free shirt but it didn't change my opinion for better or worse.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
The ESQ-1's lack of real time parameters editing is annoying and definitely not the way any of my other synths work.

Other synths, I can send realtime MIDI data(or use the menu/knobs) to change the osc waveforms, osc pitch and filters, and hear realtime feedback on a single note/drone. On the ESQ-1, you have to retrigger the note to hear a change. You can get realtime feedback with the filter on the ESQ-1, if you map it to the MOD-wheel, however. Sadly they don't allow you to map all of the parameters to the modulation wheel. I believe that their split/voice stealing implementation is what causes this.

renderful fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 26, 2015

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Another data point: On the KingKorg, you can't change oscillator type or any of the virtual patch sources/destinations without retriggering, and obviously changes to expired envelope stages are not going to show any effect. Aside from that, anything's game. I think you can even change the filter model in real-time.

On another note, I picked up an Instant Lo-Fi Junky. The compressor doesn't handle instant attack very well, with a 15-dB spike in level when transitioning from silence. Aside from that though, it's super gooey. My wife remarked that it sounded like a well-played VHS cassette.

Also, I bought her a Casio SK-1 and she loves it to death. I'm going to build it into a keytar for her with some mild circuit bending. Mostly just going to add a pitch shift and a rechargeable battery pack.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Man, I just had to build a 1/8'' stereo to dual 1/8'' mono jack and get the Trigger Box app on my iPad to properly talk to my littlebits for tonight's patch. The next patch is going to require rigging up a pair of home rolled cd4018 clock divider bits and you dead gay babys are complaining that you need to retrigger a note to hear a tweak to the resonance setting (which you're going to need to retrigger to hear in the full context of the patch anyway).

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Right, but I want be able to play a patch live, using any of the controls. I should be able to push up the resonance on different parts of the note, every time I trigger it without setting some kind of random envelope. I should be able to make a single drone and change the parameters of that single note forever(or until the envelope runs out). I'll stop crying that an old digital synth does not have features of an analog, tho.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Reverb into Instant LoFi Junky results in a delay effect as the compressor brings the reverb tail up.

https://soundcloud.com/poindexter-frink/instant-lofi-junky-reverb-delay

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
An awesome video with KiNK and the Roland MX-1 mixer. I'm trying to figure out how he's programmed the sequence/pitch effect, if it's something in Ableton or if it's a function inside the MX-1 itself. Very cool effect, not enough to make me want to go out and buy the MX-1 but I would like to learn the technique here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBRmWEyPirk

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I was able to mess with an MX-1 earlier this week and it was cool for the little bit I used it for. It has onboard effects that can be "sequenced (on/off)" on each individual channel and also has master effects on top of that. I haven't seen the video yet you mentioned but its probably that...maybe.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Birthday's coming up. No idea what I want. Open to suggestions, no more than 200-300$, preferably something I can build myself.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sizone posted:

Birthday's coming up. No idea what I want. Open to suggestions, no more than 200-300$, preferably something I can build myself.

http://www.sonic-potions.com/lxr
http://www.planktonelectronics.com/the-jellyfish/

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

That LXR is tempting as all hell, a little over budget when you include the euro to dollar conversion and the case. The jellyfish is right out, I've got a pair pt2399s in littlebits and an additional 2 in my IC tackle box that I never got around to using.

Man that LXR is tempting.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Sizone posted:

http://www.audiothingies.com/p6/

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sizone posted:

Beatstep pro? You can never have too many sequencers right? :shepface:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Too redundant, I'm rockin' a jx-3p, a jx-8p and an MSR-2. I'm really o.k. on analog polys. If it had more complex envelopes, a little more robust mod matrix scheme and support for the midi tuning standard then for sure.

net work error posted:

Beatstep pro? You can never have too many sequencers right? :shepface:

Nah, I was thinking about picking up on of those korg sq-1s for the littlebits. If I needed any more hardware sequencing than that, I'd honestly be better off using software sequencers.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Sizone posted:

Birthday's coming up. No idea what I want.

*every character from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie and book reality comes in with everything for a HUGE party*

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
:allears:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
For my birthday I want a Daisy Duke filter. Her emphasis on cutoff frequency resonates with me.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Laserjet 4P posted:

*every character from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie and book reality comes in with everything for a HUGE party*

*gathers up neighborhood cats, dresses them as characters from Dr. Who.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

wayfinder posted:

For my birthday I want a Daisy Duke filter. Her emphasis on cutoff frequency resonates with me.

Holy poo poo. This gets funnier and funnier the more times I read it.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

https://instagram.com/p/0v1mtBlzZB/

Eurorack: More poo poo I didn't think I needed until I saw it.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I've been designing the circuit bend project for the SK1 and boy, has it spiraled out of control. I've now got plans for a Raspberry PI hooking the keyboard matrix, a set of SPI-controlled Analog Switches to serve as a 'bending bus' as well as provide audio switching. Maybe I'll put an FM engine on the rPi for live use or sampling. Might go whole-hog and push SK1 audio through the rPi for FX or resampling.

The rPi leads to this rabbit hole of possibilities that would be a nightmare to design otherwise. It's cheap and has so much I/O and clock speed that why wouldn't you just insert yourself on the data bus and gently caress around? The Kawai K1m that's been gathering dust is looking more attractive by the day.

Now, to examine whether using the holes in the keyboard matrix has any unexpected side-effects...

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
So I'm looking to add a synth to my live rig. And by rig I mean my keyboard stand which has about 8 inches X 8 inches of room left at this point.
I'm thinking a Blofeld desktop, if I can play it with a Korg Nanokey. If not I've got a tiny battery powered midi controller similar size.

But can anyone think of anything smaller than a Blofeld Desktop that has polyphony? Or at least decent sound?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Korg Nanokey is usb midi only, isn't it? You would need to be using it connected to a laptop to interface with the Blofeld.

That Audiothingies P6 selfbuild posted half a page up looks like it would qualify as smaller than the Blofeld.

A properly working second hand Blofeld Desktop is great value for money though.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Psst... Hey, buddy. Gotta PMA-5 over here.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

It'd be hard to beat the Blofeld in that size, especially for what they go for.

Sizone posted:

Psst... Hey, buddy. Gotta PMA-5 over here.

He wants something that sounds decent :v:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

He wants something that sounds decent :v:

There's no accounting for tastes, man. There are legions of nerds who love the way the snes sounds.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

The Cleaner posted:

But can anyone think of anything smaller than a Blofeld Desktop that has polyphony? Or at least decent sound?
Streichfett is 7"x7". I think it's cool and it sounds great! However a Blofeld's gonna give you a lot more options.

Also the Pulse 2 is exactly the same size as the Blofeld, almost as deeply programmable, and has usable paraphony, with analog osc and filters.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Good suggestions. I guess at this point, it's just finding a midi controller small enough.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

QuNexus is probably as small as it gets for something with DIN midi.

MidiTech Midistart Music 25 looks pretty cute as a somewhat larger, but budget option.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

QuNexus is probably as small as it gets for something with DIN midi.

MidiTech Midistart Music 25 looks pretty cute as a somewhat larger, but budget option.

The QuNexus doesn't have a DIN connection on it, you need the KMI external box thing for that.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So the Sonicstate for the JD-Xi went up today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI81zS_5IGU

Only real issue is the stepping filter that's obvious at high resonance and even with all the encoders there's still a bit of menu diving, but the supernatural engine and especially the drum section s is way better than what I thought would be included with this thing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

The QuNexus doesn't have a DIN connection on it, you need the KMI external box thing for that.
Oh, I see, I mistook the cv holes for something you could plug a 3.5mm jack to din midi converter in. Better start reading the associated articles instead of just going by the pictures GIS gives me.

Well, that's disappointing.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I wonder if anyone really uses the gooseneck mic + vocoder combo. Miniak, MicroKorg, Mininova and JD-XI all have it, but they all seem like such a crappy gimmick and are mostly not very good to begin with...

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm adding a gooseneck mic port to the SK1 because the internal mic sucks and I want it to remain portable. But yeah I can't imagine hunching over to try to play and sing into the mic at the same time.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Gotta go lav mang

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

The Cleaner posted:

So I'm looking to add a synth to my live rig. And by rig I mean my keyboard stand which has about 8 inches X 8 inches of room left at this point.
I'm thinking a Blofeld desktop, if I can play it with a Korg Nanokey. If not I've got a tiny battery powered midi controller similar size.

I love my Streichfett, but it's got a very narrow range of sounds. If you want to add a wall of sound with a few notes it's great, however.

Also the Roland JD-XI synth has a review up on Sonicstate. It's not on my target list but gotta say it's a pretty impressive sketchpad package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI81zS_5IGU

Also, my dealer called, and the RxMx has arrived. I've got another patch in progress for GoonScore, but I think that one's gonna be fun.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

snorch posted:

I wonder if anyone really uses the gooseneck mic + vocoder combo. Miniak, MicroKorg, Mininova and JD-XI all have it, but they all seem like such a crappy gimmick and are mostly not very good to begin with...

The Everyday Film uses a Microkorg as one of his synths - I'm pretty sure he's using its vocoder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4AXWev6ov8

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

snorch posted:

Go to the dollar store/thrift-store/pawnshop and get a headphone-mic combo set of hard-plastic headphones for like $4. Tear off the headphone wire, and now you have a head-set which enables you to do vocoding hands-free! I think I used the gooseneck once on my Microkorg and then threw it out.

stillvisions posted:

Also, my dealer called, and the RxMx has arrived. I've got another patch in progress for GoonScore, but I think that one's gonna be fun.

Same! That and the fxdf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Went from a Yamaha MX61 to a MoXF8 a week or so ago and it has been loving great! I've been messing around with altering voices and trying to get some basic assignable stuff up. Anyone know of a really good forum to get tutorials and tips on using this thing? So far I've just been jamming around using different voices and saving them on my PC (I love the quality of the exported stuff too)!